GottaDEAL 2018 Black Friday T-Shirt Club Posting Thread

Brad

i have an idea.. might have been inspired from a post on here(or i thought of it as i have not taken down this last tree yet)...i have a white artificial Christmas tree, in my back kitchen .. i have all the x-mas ornaments off and i left red bows.  i was going to put some hearts on it.. and it can now be a valentines tree.. then maybe some shamrocks , then eggs and bunnies, then  some blue and red decorations.. ect.. leaving it up and it actually being a holiday tree... good idea/ bad idea?

• Like 6

Good morning.  Hopefully everyone has installed an antenna by now.  If you are planning to watch the Superbowl, you will get no better picture than uncompressed broadcast television.  Remember, colors count.  You are probably going to want to record all those expensive ads and maybe even the football game.  Time to consider a DVR. 

For cord cutters, a DVR restores a lot of the 'cable tv' experience.  Most DVRs have some sort of Electronic Program Guide (EPG) and support trick play (rewind, pause, fast forward, etc.).  Of course, they record or time-shift television.

Cord cutters have a lot of DVR options.  Most of the inexpensive digital-to-analog converters have an EPG and can record if you attach a usb disk.  Here's one that costs less than $30...

https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HOMEWORX-HW130STB-Converter-Recording/dp/B01EW098XS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1517477897&sr=1-1&keywords=dvr

Twenty one bucks for a digital-to-analog converter that includes a video recorder, program guide, and trick play.  Amazing!  Of course you will need to provide a usb device for storage and the DVR only has one tuner, but the HOMEWORX HW130STB gets the job done on the cheap with no monthly fees.

Most people use the word TiVo as a synonym for DVR.  TiVo has been around since 1999 and has carved out a sizable niche of dedicated followers.  For me, their DVRs have been unattractive because of their monthly fees and very expensive Lifetime subscription cost.  In the last couple years, the cost of a Lifetime subscription has tumbled,  My family purchased five TiVos.  TiVo also offers a subscription free Mini which allows a TiVo to be used from a second room.  We have (and love) two Minis.  A TiVo Roamio/OTA with Lifetime goes for $400 ($350 for a refurb), but new units sold for $200 on Cyber Monday and $300 off and on over the last two years.  The Roamio has four tuners and current models have 1t of storage.  TiVo DVRs also include popular streaming apps like Netflix and Amazon Instant Video.  More expensive models support voice control and 4k.  Get one for the Big Game at Best Buy...

https://www.google.com/search?q=tivo+roamio+ota&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS767US767&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjilIvFv4TZAhWQjVkKHazqCK4Q_AUICigB&biw=1463&bih=839#spd=15471281417116101395

Less expensive alternatives to the TiVo include the $100 Channel Master Stream+ and Sling's $130 AirTV.  The Stream+ is only available for pre-order at this time.  It integrates OTA (broadcast television) with streaming apps, but lacks the most popular apps.  AirTV integrates Sling's streaming service with broadcast television.  If you are using Sling TV, this might be a great way to add local channels.

https://www.channelmaster.com/Stream_Plus_p/cm-7600.htm

https://www.airtv.net/products/airtv_player/

https://www.amazon.com/AirTV-Streaming-Media-Player-Adapter/dp/B0777M7X84/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1517481233&sr=8-2&keywords=sling+airtv

If your home is not pre-wired for cable tv or you have a lot of televisions you watch from time to time or all of your televisions are equipped with Rokus or Fire TVs, you may want to consider a whole house DVR.  Tablo TV is the winner in this space.  With Tablo TV, you attach the DVR to your antenna and network then stream television to a smart TV or streaming device.  A two tuner Tablo TV costs $200 and four tuners will set you back $250.  You also have to spring for a storage device and pay for their service ($4.99/mo, $49.99/yr, or $149.99/Life).  

https://www.tablotv.com/store/

Anyone actually cut the cord in 2018?

We have toyed with it but too many things that we record on our TiVo (been with TiVo since the year after they came out) are not OTA. We have tried to use services to stream things but they disappear far too quick for our liking and they way we tend to watch things. Then they don't show up on the other streaming services for a year plus.

Some day someone will allow to just pick the channels I want and pay for only those.

i have an idea.. might have been inspired from a post on here(or i thought of it as i have not taken down this last tree yet)...i have a white artificial Christmas tree, in my back kitchen .. i have all the x-mas ornaments off and i left red bows.  i was going to put some hearts on it.. and it can now be a valentines tree.. then maybe some shamrocks , then eggs and bunnies, then  some blue and red decorations.. ect.. leaving it up and it actually being a holiday tree... good idea/ bad idea?

We have a tree in our hallway that stays up all year round. It has the lights we can set to different colors and it get's decorated to fit the holiday/season. :)

• Like 1

I think Sling TV has that option now, i know ive seen commercials for one of them that says pick your channels only pay for what you want

Unless it's gotten better since my inlaws had it, Sling was HORRIBLE. The beta version of the DirecTV Now app they ended up switching to was more robust and stable. :sidesplit

I 'cut the cable' a long time ago and have been enjoying TV using a digital antenna. Get one with good reception and you'll get all the local channels and even some specialty ones. I only things I really pay for are my WWE Network, Netflix, and CBS all access. I've been enjoying Star Trek: Discovery and have started to binge every episode of Trek's Animated Series from back in the days.

• Like 1

I 'cut the cable' a long time ago and have been enjoying TV using a digital antenna. Get one with good reception and you'll get all the local channels and even some specialty ones. I only things I really pay for are my WWE Network, Netflix, and CBS all access. I've been enjoying Star Trek: Discovery and have started to binge every episode of Trek's Animated Series from back in the days.

November will mark the tenth anniversary of my Ooma purchase.  January will be the tenth anniversary of my DB8 purchase.  Next May (15 months from now) I will be celebrating the tenth anniversary of my last payment to Comcast.

What kind of antenna do you use?  For the record, there is no such thing as a digital antenna -- they are all analog.  No such concept as HD in antennas either.  Antennas collect RF (radio frequency) energy.  Antennas are optimized for frequency -- nothing else.  Antennas have three meaningful characteristics: frequency, beam width, and range.  Television is transmitted on three ranges or bands of frequencies -- VHF-Low, VHF-High, and UHF.  VHF-Low (2-6)  is 55-88, VHF-High (7-13) is 174-216, and UHF is 470-692 14-50 except 37).  The entire FM spectrum exists between VHF-Low and VHF-High.  So, antennas optimized for each 'band' are very different.  VHF-Low antennas are very large.  UHF are relatively small.  It's important to match an antenna's size and shape to the frequencies one wants to collect.  Beam width is a general description of how well a signal not directly in line with an antenna will be collected.  An Azimuth Chart provides a clearer picture...

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/DB8az.gif

This azimuth chart for the DB8 shows that the antenna has a relatively narrow beam width -- signal in front of the antenna is collected much better than signal in the back or to either side.  The DB8 is said to have a 100 degree beam width.

Zenith's Silver Sensor has a beam width of about 180 degrees...

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/silverel.gif

Range tends to be inversely proportional to beam width.  So, if you are close to broadcasters, you may have good luck with an omnidirectional antenna whereas someone like me in the sticks needs more range and has to settle for less beam.

November will mark the tenth anniversary of my Ooma purchase.  January will be the tenth anniversary of my DB8 purchase.  Next May (15 months from now) I will be celebrating the tenth anniversary of my last payment to Comcast.

What kind of antenna do you use?  For the record, there is no such thing as a digital antenna -- they are all analog.  No such concept as HD in antennas either.  Antennas collect RF (radio frequency) energy.  Antennas are optimized for frequency -- nothing else.  Antennas have three meaningful characteristics: frequency, beam width, and range.  Television is transmitted on three ranges or bands of frequencies -- VHF-Low, VHF-High, and UHF.  VHF-Low (2-6)  is 55-88, VHF-High (7-13) is 174-216, and UHF is 470-692 14-50 except 37).  The entire FM spectrum exists between VHF-Low and VHF-High.  So, antennas optimized for each 'band' are very different.  VHF-Low antennas are very large.  UHF are relatively small.  It's important to match an antenna's size and shape to the frequencies one wants to collect.  Beam width is a general description of how well a signal not directly in line with an antenna will be collected.  An Azimuth Chart provides a clearer picture...

This azimuth chart for the DB8 shows that the antenna has a relatively narrow beam width -- signal in front of the antenna is collected much better than signal in the back or to either side.  The DB8 is said to have a 100 degree beam width.

Range tends to be inversely proportional to beam width.  So, if you are close to broadcasters, you may have good luck with an omnidirectional antenna whereas someone like me in the sticks needs more range and has to settle for less beam.

We did the OTA for a month when our house was first done (no one could decide to they could actually give me internet) and we got limited channels here, a lot of stuff we record comes from cable channels like HGTV, Food Network and a few others like it.

• Like 1

We did the OTA for a month when our house was first done (no one could decide to they could actually give me internet) and we got limited channels here, a lot of stuff we record comes from cable channels like HGTV, Food Network and a few others like it.

Food Network was our background noise when we left Comcast.  Initially, we used PlayOn to stream episodes, but it wasn't long before we were watching Create instead.  Our 'kitchen dvr' is stuffed with recordings of Rachael Ray, The Chew, and other imitators.  I did a trial of DirecTV Now over the winter and did not recognize TFN.  

• Like 1

We have a tree in our hallway that stays up all year round. It has the lights we can set to different colors and it get's decorated to fit the holiday/season. :)

wow great idea.. the programmable  lights.. i mentioned the idea.. and then i hear chris in there .. he was gonna take DOWN the tree!!! lol.

• Like 2

Still here!  Tomorrow dw and I begin (again) a journey to lose weight.  Last year, dw thought that joining a gym would be all we needed.  This year, we joined slim 4 life.  They promised if we stuck to the "plan" we could lose our weight  (50lb for me) in about 3 months, then they would teach us how to keep it off.  We signed up for the 2 year maintenance plan. 

I believe I can stick to the "plan".  So, should I go on one of those "bet to lose weight" sites and place a bet?

• Like 2

Food Network was our background noise when we left Comcast.  Initially, we used PlayOn to stream episodes, but it wasn't long before we were watching Create instead.  Our 'kitchen dvr' is stuffed with recordings of Rachael Ray, The Chew, and other imitators.  I did a trial of DirecTV Now over the winter and did not recognize TFN.  

When Rachel Ray speaks my ears bleed. :sidesplit

We have Create on Comcast but not much on there I watch. I keep thinking to try to cut the cord (they will still get my internet money) but just too big of a change on what we watch and how we would have to watch it.

Antenna for a HDTV, that's what I meant ;) Most folks I know just call them digital antennas even though, technically speaking, that's an incorrect statement. I'm old so when I think 'antennas'' I remember the old rabbit ears that come out of the back of square tube TVs with tin foil on them to try to improve the reception.

Not sure of the exact make and model (I threw away the box) but it took a few tries to find the right one that worked in my particular location and right where I wanted to put it. Last I checked I get just over 40 channels, most of which I never watch. The only over-the-air TV I ever enjoy are CBS (morning news as well as my game shows), BUZZR (classic game shows but mostly the same two over and over), and COMET (my jam for classic sci-fi shows and cheezy 60-70's movies).

My old roommates are keeping the Dish account in my name active. When I moved out I made them agree \that if they kept paying the bill on time I wouldn't cancel it. They've been paying ever since. Funny thing is I can still access all the shows on the account online on my PC or through their app. So when I need to get my fix of Dr. Who on BBC One, I can! :D

• Like 1

Even as a South Jersey non-Eagles fan, I couldn’t help but smile at the win last night. I’m super happy they moved the parade to Thursday; my daughters dance school is in South Philly and getting her there and back Wednesday would have been madness.

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDEAL