Waiting in the warm car until the doors open / Line Jumpers [merged]

phrogxix

I didn't win the Best Buy VIP contest for my area, so I thought I would post my entry for you guys to read. If anyone will appreciate it, I think the people here on gotta deal will! ;)

An Ode to the Line Mooch

We've all got them in our family.

We all have them as our friends.

They want to get the stuff,

but can't stick it till the end.

The cold, the wind, the people,

They just can't stick it out

So my cell phone will start ringing

with the line mooch on his couch!

“I Know you’re at Best Buy,

Standing in the line,

Will you pick me up a laptop?

I will be there close to nine!”

The words that I am thinking,

come flooding to my head,

They’re not too edifying,

More like wishing he was dead!

“If you want it, come and get it!

Spend your holiday with me!

But don't call me from you nice warm home,

While sipping on your tea!

My basket will hold only MY stuff,

Not an item for you all!”

I've been planning, searching, scheming,

Since the early, early fall.

Best Buy has all the goodies,

And all the deals galore,

But it's not for the faint of heart,

Some people might want them more!

So if you are a line mooch,

Get your long johns freshly pressed,

Do your own line standing,

Because you really make me STRESSED!

Last year my dd and I were in line at Taget. When the doors opened, there were about 50 people that jumped from their cars and headed for the doors. The staff and police they had there sent them to the back of the line while we all cheered. We were in, had our items purchased, and out the doors before they even got in. YIPPEE

What pisses me off, is someone who is the in the first spot in the line thinks they can just get up and leave when they want and come back 3 hours later and just assume there spot is still there.

Is this right? No not at all, is there anything that can be done about it? Nope. Off coruse you could get in a fight with them but then neither of you get anything becuase the cops get called.

Its stupid non of the stores hire someone to "police" the line. Whats the point of a line if someone puts a tent down and then goes to sleep in there comfy bed at home. Or goes home to eat thanksgiving dinner while we all eat it from a plastic bin.

It makes sense when someone leaves and has a sitter in place. But to leave a post completely empty. That should void your postion.

:x

As someone who at the front of the line @ my local TRU I'm going to say that if they don't get their crap together someone is going to end up dead there too! A man threatened to trample a woman who was 7 1/2 months preg! Because she told him the end of the line was back there! He said he'd take his chances and people around her said he wouldn't get in front of them, he said watch me I'll trample her. The cops were called, about 20 showed up they closed the road down into TRU and people started parking across the street and walking over!!!

I was in the front of the line and if it hadn't been for a friend I probably would have ended up trampled myself, no joke here! She was holding on to my jacket pushing me back as everyone was pushing me forward from behind. There were 3 carts in the doorway that I was shoved against...I'm some sore today. It was crazy and I was so shaken I ended up leaving with out half of my list!

Oh yeah and get this one! A friend that I was there with got 'tickets' for the iPod and xbox 360 package. They told her she could come back and get it anytime before 11am. She went back @ 6am and they sold hers to someone with out a ticket so as not to cause a riot! NICE!!! So she is out the 2 big things she wanted there and stood in line for 6 hours to get!

Oh and you want to know the best part...some of the people that had tried to line jump ended up at Kohl's. We had 3 16+ teenagers that were holding our spot @ Old Navy (which TRU could take a lesson from) so when we got there we sent them next door to kohl's. After we were done @ Old Navy we went down to relieve them. The women who were directly behind them, that had tried to line jump them to be first, well they started screaming at my friend about cutting! She politely told them that whether it was the 3 kids of the 3 adults that went in the store the out come would be the same. 3 people would be in the font of the line!

How do you all feel about someone holding a spot and leaving when the people who they were holding for showed up? I think it would be different if we had joined them but we made the kids sit in the car while we shopped @ Kohls.

Our Walmart is open 24/7 so no issues there although DD13 said people were snatching stuff out of the plastic wrap before they were allowed,lol. At Kmart however people started a 2nd line the other direction! Ours was like 200 people long and they started the other way???? To top it off some old guy came from his car right when they were opening doors and some loud mouth lady from way in the back was screaming "Get to the end of the line! Just because you're old doesn't give you an excuse to butt in line!",lmao. My drama for the day.....other than being overheard by the smokers that the lady beside me and myself couldn't breathe because all we could smell was cigarette smoke....and we got into a discussion how her FIL died at age 55 from lung cancer & my stepmom is 51 and has COPD. We weren't being rude or talking about them but they felt the need to loudly say how you could be hit by a car and die....apparently that somehow relates,lmao. What would BF be without some drama though right?

Happened at my TRU today. Even with two cops out front this mob of 2 or 3 dozen made a break for it when the doors opened. Cops and employees halted most but I am sure a couple slipped through because then there was another skuffle just inside.

Its one of those times when I just have to shake my head and wonder about people...

Maybe they should change black Friday to Sunday afternoon right after church and see if that makes people behave any better.

I was at TRU and Target today and they both had people who "attempted" to line jump when the doors opened. At TRU, there was at least 500 people in line by midnight. Fifteen minutes before the store opened about 30 people decided to start loitering in front of the parking lot to make a mad dash for the doors. One person even had the audacity to cut in front of the line! A fight broke out between him and the other guy so the cops were called and about 15-20 showed up and formed a barrier so the line jumpers couldn't get in. They were so pissed! We all clapped and cheered for the cops and they told us we were all nuts!LOL

Target was great. The line literally wrapped around the back of the store it was so ridiculous! They had about 10 of their Asset Protection team and 2 cops outside keeping order and they roped off the whole front of the parking lot so that people couldn't rush the door. One Security guy kept yelling thru a bull horn that everyone coming up from the parking lot needed to go to the back of the line. It was great!!

I heard thru the grapevine that our local Walmart was a cluster*&^% so I didn't even attempt it!

Brandi

Why don't all stores hand out tickets for the high dollar value items that are limited (Ipods, TVs, cameras, etc)? Is it really that much more trouble to do this and then have people come into the store somewhat relaxed instead of running each other over? I never did understand that.

I didn't win the Best Buy VIP contest for my area, so I thought I would post my entry for you guys to read. If anyone will appreciate it, I think the people here on gotta deal will! ;)

An Ode to the Line Mooch

We've all got them in our family.

We all have them as our friends.

They want to get the stuff,

but can't stick it till the end.

The cold, the wind, the people,

They just can't stick it out

So my cell phone will start ringing

with the line mooch on his couch!

“I Know you’re at Best Buy,

Standing in the line,

Will you pick me up a laptop?

I will be there close to nine!”

The words that I am thinking,

come flooding to my head,

They’re not too edifying,

More like wishing he was dead!

“If you want it, come and get it!

Spend your holiday with me!

But don't call me from you nice warm home,

While sipping on your tea!

My basket will hold only MY stuff,

Not an item for you all!”

I've been planning, searching, scheming,

Since the early, early fall.

Best Buy has all the goodies,

And all the deals galore,

But it's not for the faint of heart,

Some people might want them more!

So if you are a line mooch,

Get your long johns freshly pressed,

Do your own line standing,

Because you really make me STRESSED!

The entries were a joke, and some of the winners were pathetic in their diatribes about how their child just loves Best Buy.:yuck:

As someone who at the front of the line @ my local TRU I'm going to say that if they don't get their crap together someone is going to end up dead there too! A man threatened to trample a woman who was 7 1/2 months preg! Because she told him the end of the line was back there! He said he'd take his chances and people around her said he wouldn't get in front of them, he said watch me I'll trample her. The cops were called, about 20 showed up they closed the road down into TRU and people started parking across the street and walking over!!!

I was in the front of the line and if it hadn't been for a friend I probably would have ended up trampled myself, no joke here! She was holding on to my jacket pushing me back as everyone was pushing me forward from behind. There were 3 carts in the doorway that I was shoved against...I'm some sore today. It was crazy and I was so shaken I ended up leaving with out half of my list!

Oh yeah and get this one! A friend that I was there with got 'tickets' for the iPod and xbox 360 package. They told her she could come back and get it anytime before 11am. She went back @ 6am and they sold hers to someone with out a ticket so as not to cause a riot! NICE!!! So she is out the 2 big things she wanted there and stood in line for 6 hours to get!

Pregnant women in their third trimester have no business out in that mess. Plain stupidity. Show more concern for the life you carry!

We went to TRU and stood in line for about 45 mins before we got it, needless to say we were WAAAAY back. We ended up getting 2 of the 4 things we came for but left empty handed because the store was literally shoulder to shoulder and NO ONE knew who was in the checkout line and who wasn't. To get out I had to climb on top of a pallet of toys because people thought that I was trying to break in front of a line they weren't sure they were in and I had NOTHING in my hands! I told the people with me that we were leaving and I WON'T be going back at opening EVER AGAIN! That was the most dangerous Black Friday situation I've ever been in!! After that we went to Old Navy, which I will say was smoothest. We waited in line for about an hour there so we weren't too far back. However, they did make a lot of people angry. The first ones there had formed a line at the IN door but some line jumpers came up about 10 mins before opening and formed a line at the OUT door. Wellll Old Navy unlocked the freaking OUT door first!!! We were all VERY POed! They did open 5 mins early though, so props for that!! I was in and out by 3:01. After Old Navy we went to Wal-Mart, and at 3:20 there was a woman checking out with the Sony Bravia TV and 2 collage frames!! There were also TONS of people with their buggies overflowing with BF stuff!! Of course we didn't wait either and started loading up, because NO WAY was I going to stand around and let the other rule breakers get all the stuff. The checkout lines were packed by 4:30, but we were first in line. At 4:55 a CSM came and told them all to start checking us out and when the girl scanned our first 4-in-1 it didn't ring right so she YELLED at ME and told me, "SEE I CAN'T CHECK YOU OUT UNTIL 5!!!". I said, "Your manager just told you to start and every other cashier has started, so can you check some of the Black Friday specialty stuff and at least get us that far?" She huffed and picked up my Tuggin Pup, scanned it (it scanned right), she bagged it, and slammed it down. Then she stood there for a min, grabbed it back up, hit delete, and yelled in my face, "I AM NOT STARTING UNTIL 5!!" I looked her in the eye for a second and as calm as I have ever been in my life in an almost whisper said to, "I'm sorry, but why do you have to be so rude? Someone who I thought was your manager told you to start and everyone else has started so that is why I didn't see why you could start. I wasn't rude to you in the least, so why do you have to be rude to me?" All she said was "I'm not trying to be rude but we aren't supposed to start until 5." Then I watched the clock and when 5 hit she still wouldn't start, said she needed a minute. Then the 4-in-1's still didn't ring up right like she said they would.

Happened at my TRU today. Even with two cops out front this mob of 2 or 3 dozen made a break for it when the doors opened. Cops and employees halted most but I am sure a couple slipped through because then there was another skuffle just inside.

Its one of those times when I just have to shake my head and wonder about people...

Maybe they should change black Friday to Sunday afternoon right after church and see if that makes people behave any better.

I use to work retail and my Mom has worked retail a lot too and some of our rudest customers were families and individuals who had just come from church. I don't know why, but Sunday afternoons were always so stressful because of this.

I use to work retail and my Mom has worked retail a lot too and some of our rudest customers were families and individuals who had just come from church. I don't know why, but Sunday afternoons were always so stressful because of this.

I have to agree. I worked customer service at Target years ago and I remember the Sunday fraudsters. Unfortunately it was usually the elderly who would come in with packages they had bought recently and then replaced with something old from at home. I had one old guy who tried to return an old blanket in a new bag. The girl I was working with turned him down. He came back not 5 minutes later and waited for me to be available. I turned him down. Then he went out to the car and brought out the actual blanket. Sunday was also a big day for people trading in their shoes (the most disgusting thing ever). Seriously, people go in with nasty shoes, leave them in the box, and walk out with new ones, leaving their nasty ones for someone else to deal with.

I also have to agree that frequently the people at the front of the line need to be moved. I was at BB 2 years ago and it was Chicago and the rest of us waited outside from Turkey Day afternoon on. It was cold but necessary. There were 4 chairs sitting at the front of the line holding a place for people hanging out in their cars; they didn't get out to freeze with the rest of us until about 2 am. I wasn't concerned that they were going to take my stuff (pretty close to the front) but I have no idea why people sitting further back didn't pick up their chairs and move them next to their car.

Pregnant women in their third trimester have no business out in that mess. Plain stupidity. Show more concern for the life you carry!

Isn't it nice ladies how in 2009 a man is trying to tell us what we should do with our own bodies. :2bat: I guess he thinks we should kick our shoes off and get back in the kitchen as well. :holiday09

It would be even better if people would act like people instead of animals so that certain segments of the population could enjoy shopping like the rest of us.

Well, maybe, but I see different things on the news. In our family, we place a high value on the health and safety of children. My oldest was only allowed to accompany me for the first time this year -- he's sixteen and has a black belt.

Just because you have a right to do it doesn't make it the right thing to do.

I don't expect to ever be part of a BF stampede, but I'll wager few people standing in line do. Just the same, I would never take the chance of losing a child in the rush to a cabbage patch kid. Remorse lingers.

Well, maybe, but I see different things on the news. In our family, we place a high value on the health and safety of children. My oldest was only allowed to accompany me for the first time this year -- he's sixteen and has a black belt.

Just because you have a right to do it doesn't make it the right thing to do.

I don't expect to ever be part of a BF stampede, but I'll wager few people standing in line do. Just the same, I would never take the chance of losing a child in the rush to a cabbage patch kid. Remorse lingers.

Well a black belt, My children have all accompied me bF shopping, from the age of 9-10, I have also gone pregnant. I have never ever put myself or my children in harms way. Common sense. It is the most enjoyable time my 4 children and I have together. They look forward to it. When I was pregnant i just made a lot of friends in the line and never had any issues

People try to jump the line at Target every year here. They gather about 5 minutes before the doors open to try to overrun the line and push their way in. This year security did a great job, I didn't see one person make it through, even though there was only one guy from security out there.

An older lady tried to inch her way in and he held her off. She appeared to think she shouldn't have to wait in line due to her age and was getting fairly rude with security but he remained calm and didn't let her through.

Many of the stores here (MI) had their crap together this year. Target had cops and hired security, even handed out coffee and hot chocolate. There were carts blocking entrances, and most people seemed quite happy to wait in line like civilized humans. Big Kudos to Target in Flint, MI too, for having lots of stock of their BF sales items. My mother and I got in around 5:20 and managed to get everything we were after. And there was still TVs, DVD players, etc. left by 6. The cops and security were very strict about line jumpers. We also hit Prime Outlets in Birch Run which opens at 12 am (some stores at 10 or 11pm) and there was plenty of security cruising the lots. I have dealt with the mobs in the past. Walmart specifically. I won't go there for the early morn BF sales anymore. Staples and a few others do tickets.

A side note about Walmart employees being rude and people taking stuff before they're supposed to. Last year I dealt with this as a shopper. The employees were terrible and snarky. But I overheard a manager telling someone else that if it was on the shelf, it was fair game, just not in the aisle. So I promptly walked back to the toys and picked up the vtech pocket I wanted for my son and was sure to let the employee that snipped at me for looking at the stuff in the aisle that she wasn't gonna ruin my BF.