Waiting in the warm car until the doors open / Line Jumpers [merged]

phrogxix

... and then running inside. Is there anything worse? Line numbering does take some of the fun out of things sometimes, but it sure stops these jerks. There's no real way to stop it, either. You stop and complain, the stuff you wanted is gone by the time you're done wagging your finger.

Yeah, that's the worst, but depends upon where you shop as to how successful the line jumpers are.

For the last few years, more like 5-6 years, we've centered our efforts at Best Buy in Augusta, GA, for several reasons.

First, we've been fortunate to be first in line there, well outside of last year when we decided to forgoe BF entirely due to my health...was the first BF I'd missed in decades, actually.

But the Augusta, GA, BB has an excellent staff that manages the line well as well as having two Sheriff's Deputies on duty for several hours prior to and during the BF sale....and between the deputies and staff, line jumpers are quite unsuccessful.

But, in addition to them, we came up with a unique solution on our own. We, as in several groups that habitually go to this BB on BF every year.

And here's our solution; how'd it work at other stores is another question, but it works very well at this BB.

Below are linked two street views via Google Maps of the BB......

Side View of store.

Front view of store, slightly zoomed in.

If you look closely, you can see a row of yellow painted concrete pillars that are about chest high in front of the store and stretch to the right.....guess they're there to prevent cars from being able to park on the sidewalk in front of the store.

Well, BB puts out all their shopping carts every year just after they close on the Wednesday before BF. They're left along the left side of the store's entranceway.

We take the carts and reposition them.....make a short line in between the entrance and exit doors until the line of carts is even with the concrete pillars. This effectively separates the entrance door from the exit door.

Then we make a right turn with the rest and line them up alongside the concrete pillars as far down as they'll stretch. Now, we've effectively made a one-way lane into the store and you can only get into that lane by coming in at the end of the carts. Makes a nice blockade against line breakers and the BB management, every year, highly praises the ingeniousness of the design of what we do and has never criticized it at all.

It amazes me each year how many do this! I personally would be afraid of being punched out!!! Especially when I have already waited hours to get in, hands numb, runny nose from the cold, etc! I just wouldn't have the nerve to try it! And they are always rude about it when people start saying things to them as if they didn't see the line forming. Crazy!

I have seen stores try to stop mobs of people running in from the parking lot. They are very unsuccessful at this. There are too many people doing it, and not enough of them to stop people unless it is a store in a plaza that puts barricades up.

I have been on the other end of it. When I see a line outside of Kohls that goes around the building. As I watched the doors open and people in line going in, I was then just about lifted off my feet from the mob behind me and had no choice but to be pushed in to the store. That was not the time to say "hold on everyone we have to wait our turn".

How would you feel if a store only let in 20 people at a time, with employees watching the line, to keep people from jumping? For stores that do not do tickets, of course.

(A sane shopping experience not guaranteed when you get inside.)

One nearbyBB does something similar not sure what the number or if they actually count entry/exits and even thought it seemed ridiculous last year that they had a line still around the block a few hours after opening it would probably make the shopping experience easier inside. How much trouble can 20 people cause inside? It would hopefully mean stuff inside would be neater and easier to find.

I would guess the problem would be the people outside getting antsy and losing patience. I think regular BF folk would be ok with it but newcomers and those people who just "have to have" something would be intolerable.

One nearbyBB does something similar not sure what the number or if they actually count entry/exits and even thought it seemed ridiculous last year that they had a line still around the block a few hours after opening it would probably make the shopping experience easier inside. How much trouble can 20 people cause inside? It would hopefully mean stuff inside would be neater and easier to find.

I would guess the problem would be the people outside getting antsy and losing patience. I think regular BF folk would be ok with it but newcomers and those people who just "have to have" something would be intolerable.

And that's how the Augusta, GA, BB does it, too. Only about 40 people or thereabouts in at a time.

I started going to the Augusta, GA one after two years of horror at the Savannah, GA, BB in '02 and '03. Crowd control was not there, the sit-in-the-car crowd bunched up at the door when the tickets were being brought out and the staff just about threw them up in the air rather than hand them out correctly.

So, we started going to the Augusta, GA, BB. The crowd is much more civil, no pushing, crowding, nothing. Car sitters are out of luck completely, much to their chagrin. It's always funny to watch them stand off to the side, watching for some way to break into line, and with a cop watching them.

Also, the Augusta BB hands out donuts and coffee at around 3AM to the line. Great staff which means the management is excellent. Horrible stores mean horrible management that cares nothing for their shoppers.

How would you feel if a store only let in 20 people at a time, with employees watching the line, to keep people from jumping? For stores that do not do tickets, of course.

(A sane shopping experience not guaranteed when you get inside.)

The Yankee Candle outlet in Smithfield, NC does this - but they only let in 10 people at a time.

One year me and the hubby waited almost 45 minutes from the time Walmart opened to the time Lowe's opened (great sales on energy saving bulbs). After hitting Dunkin Donuts we waited in the car until we could rush into Lowe's - and nearly broke our backs sliding all over ice on the parking lot from the snow storm on Thanksgiving!

Last year the Target we went to had placed carts making a passage way into the store that covered the first 30 people so the cutting wasn't bad at all. It is also one of those towns where everyone basically knows everyone so people aren't as competitive/aggressive like they are at the Target in a larger city about 30 miles away. Also the Target is well stocked and their are usually enough doorbusters to go around (depending of course on what it is).

Target has always been really bad about that but 2 years ago they finally got a handle on it. Had cops there holding people back and everything. (not sure how it went last year since I couldnt go)

We dont line jump but my mom is older so I usually hold our spot and she sits in the car until it gets closer to time to open (usually 20 or so min.) Shes usually just w/ me to steer the cart so its not like she's taking away the person behind us stuff. LOL

We dont take line jumpers when I am at best buy expecially if they are trying to cut in line by talking to one of their friends.. I tell them they can stay there until 4 am but if they are their past that I am calling the cops. I am not sitting out for 24 hours for someone to stay out there for 2 hours and get the stuff. SORRY Not happening. Best way to stop it is to talk to the people around you they pretty much watch for all line jumpers or crasher that try to crash when they open the doors.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I do Black Friday every year. I am usually one of the first 20 in line and have stood in freezing snow storms in North Idaho (near Canada) for my BF deals.

Every single year right before the store opening the line jumpers hover about 15 ft from the front door. When the employees open the door these line jumpers/cutters push their way in front of all the people who are not in the top 10 in line but who have been in line for hours.

I can't tell you how mad this makes me. They show up at the last minute and in some cases have pushed their way past me into the store.

Does this happen anywhere else? What the heck can a person do to prevent this?

Advice please!

9 out of 10 BF's we wait in the car until 10 minutes before opening. Then we go to THE END OF THE LINE. I just cannot do the cold, and know if there's a really HOT item, I'm not getting it. Thus far, I've had no problems getting what I'm after.

We can have anything from upper 50's to below zero w/ a windchill factor. So, how long we'll wait to get into line depends on the temps. This year my shopping partner, my sister, is 5 months pregnant so there will be no line waiting for us. We'll wait until the crowds stampede in. Thankfully, the only sale I'm really looking to hit is the Pac Sun sale and we don't get there until mid-morning. There isn't much I need in the ads.

One time an older lady made a beeline from her toasty car to the Target door just as they opened. One of the police offiers posted at the head of the line stopped her. She told him she was handicapped and couldn't stand in line like the rest of us! Funny how she could run that 50 yard dash across the parking lot so quick with her handicap though! He didn't buy it and we all cheered.