Spouse hate your Black Friday habits?

Nate Dogg

My wife got out of bed early this morning, went to Walmart, got a $298 laptop, and now tells me we do not need to camp out at BB because the laptop was the only thing we needed this year. We have done Black Friday ever since we have been married, and the kids really look forward to camping out every year. Any suggestions?

My wife loves it... but she had our first child about a month and a half ago... so she isn't going this year. I always go with my best friends, so its going to be a Guy only BF for us. It could turn dirty real fast ;) Edited by wx4svr

Tell her that you like going for the fun of it, and (if possible) she doesn't have to go if she doesn't want to.

Find someone else who likes to go, take the kids...whatever you feel most comfortable with. Maybe your wife doesn't really like it, and was just doing it for you. Let it be her choice...doesn't mean you have to miss out.

Ask her why she doesn't want you to go out. Maybe she's worried about finances, and figures if she can keep you from going, you won't spend tons of $$$ on BF. Maybe she wants to spend more time with you over the Thanksgiving break, and can't do that if you and the kids are snoozing all day Friday (after you get back from shopping).

As for my wife, she hasn't camped out for BF yet (she will this year though), but has camped out for other things (once for Xbox 360, twice for the PS3). At worst she puts up with it, at best she enjoys it a bit.

I took my husband last year with me at first he thought I was the only crazy person out but knew I wasn't since every black friday he is at work at 6 am at Walmart. He could not believe the rush. We started at 4:30 last year and by 6:30 we were at star bucks in the mall getting coffee then we went to the other stores and did not get back home till 11 am.

my dh could careless about my bf trips.

He knows that is my day with my friend who loves it as much as me. Our son who is 12 will go again this year.

I say find a buddy to go with you , if she does not want to go.

If she does go she may complain about it the entire time she is with you.

steph

I guess the biggest issue is why she doesn't want you to go. If it's a money thing then you have to work it out. If its a rain on your parade thing then I would go without her and not let her spoil your fun. I'm sure she's done stuff in the past you would have liked her not to have done. But I would always advise talking it out first.

My wife got out of bed early this morning, went to Walmart, got a $298 laptop, and now tells me we do not need to camp out at BB because the laptop was the only thing we needed this year. We have done Black Friday ever since we have been married, and the kids really look forward to camping out every year. Any suggestions?

Camp out anyway and sell the items:D lol.

I guess the biggest issue is why she doesn't want you to go. If it's a money thing then you have to work it out. If its a rain on your parade thing then I would go without her and not let her spoil your fun. I'm sure she's done stuff in the past you would have liked her not to have done. But I would always advise talking it out first.

:gdiagree:

My husband sees it like this. All year long I am a maid a waitress a cook a teacher a counselor a friend a mate and a MOM. I give give give of myself till there is nothing left. So if I want to have 1 day of the year off without the kids or him then I deserve it. I only go out 1 day a year the rest is totally devoted to my home and family. This is one day I dont have to worry about him or kids or the house. Its all mine mine mine. Cant wait.

Wow, looks like someone had a little too much coffee this morning! Ya know Shopper 7 you can put all your questions in one post! But back to the OP, I would still go with the kids even though it won't be the same without your wife there!

Edit....ok he just got booted but he had prolly 20 or so nasty posts in here. Glad to see our GD mods are on top of things this morning!

Edited by harrispizza4

Have to agree with the other posters here. Talk to her FIRST. then shop!

I am glad that my husband does BF with me. I sent him out one year by himself and he won't ever do that again alone. He didn't see what the big deal was at the time. Now he knows, and has seen the fun of it. even if we don't need a TON of stuff we still go just to save the $ on the other things we need/want, and have fun together.

My husband USED to hate it, but last year we travelled out of town and had to eat Breakfast Buffet. This year it was questionable whether or not I would be able to get off of work and when I came home with the good news about getting off (expecting dread to spread across his face) he was cheerful he'd get to have breakfast buffet again. :cheesy:

DH is not a fan of going out on BF - I think he has flashbacks to this little old lady that was swinging her cane around back in '92 keeping everyone away from the display of 29 cents Christmas lights. It was absolutely hysterical. He still brings it up. He has no problem with me going out, getting some deals and having fun.

I agree that you need to find out if she just doesn't care for the excitement & crowds of BF or maybe she's worried about finances. Whatever it is, I hope you guys can work it out and you all end up happy!

Guest HoosierShadow

My husband totally dislikes BF. But then I pick on him because he is such a 'tight wad' haha! With reason, better to save $$ then to spend this day in age <and I am a Stay at home mom>.

He doesn't like to deal with the traffic, or the people. We went together in 06, because I had just had my youngest daughter and couldn't really get out by myself. He hated it even if he says he didn't LOL

If your wife doesn't want to go out, then maybe you can foot it alone, and depending on how old your kids are they could tag along?

I have a 10,7 and 2 year old, and I dont' want my oldest two going for sure. I am undecided about my 2 year old, most likely she'll be joining me on our rampage. I don't do the camping out thing. In fact, I don't even leave until around 6am, and just get whatever deals I can get.

Good Luck, and if your wife doesn't go, perfect opportunity to find something you can surprise her with! :)

My wife has not gone out early with me the past two years, and probably won't this year, but she very much enjoys when I pick her up a bit later in the morning and we continue shopping.

Hint to Nate Dog: get the kids to tell her how much they enjoy the novelty and excitement of BF.

Didn't catch how early you start your camp-out, but consider going later, shortening time out, as it sounds like you may not be looking for any of the scarce items anyway.

My husband stays at home with our daughter (6) while I head out. I used to go with my sister, but her husband's family swept her up in their BF rituals, so I go by myself now. I'm out at 3:30 - 4am and home by 10:30am. Last year I only needed to hit TRU. I headed out at 3:30am, store opened at 4am and I was home by 6am. My husband loves all the "extras" that I find while I am out and he has offered to go with me too.

My hubby used to HATE my BF shopping when the kids were younger. He had to stay home with them on the day he offically declared as Christmas decorating day. Every year I would come back from my exhilirating BF shopping (usually by noon) just to hear how badly the Christmas lights were tangled that year, or how many times he bumped his head going into our crawl space to get out all the decorations. :g_shrug: A couple of years ago we needed a new TV and he agreed to help me (our oldest dd could watch the other kids by that time). He went to CC at 4AM while I headed out to other stores. Well, the BF Bug bit him...and bit him hard!! :cheesy: All morning I got calls from him about all the deals he found, and all the "crazy" shoppers. He was SO proud of the deal he got on our 52" TV and a camera for our oldest dd. Now our Thanksgiving day is all about skimming thru the paper ads, writing out our lists, and checking the stores' websites (and GottaDeal, of course!) for any last minute additions to the deals. He makes sure we hold off purchases throughout the year to see if the item will be a BF special somewhere (this year he's hopeful to get a steal on the Canon 40d camera!) Our kids are at ages now that he enjoys shopping for the gifts so much more (video games, electronics, etc) Thank you, GottaDeal, for helping to convert my hubby! :)

My husband sees it like this. All year long I am a maid a waitress a cook a teacher a counselor a friend a mate and a MOM. I give give give of myself till there is nothing left. So if I want to have 1 day of the year off without the kids or him then I deserve it. I only go out 1 day a year the rest is totally devoted to my home and family. This is one day I dont have to worry about him or kids or the house. Its all mine mine mine. Cant wait.

Exactly the same here!!