Circuit City closing 155 stores, announcement expected tomorrow

Brad

I have been expecting this for the last couple weeks, so I used all my gift card with the snail mail coupon last week ($20 off each Wii game). I won't pay much attention to CC this BF even my local store is still open. Most of the past BF deals involved rebates. I think it would be very risky to get rebate offer this year. By the way, one of the GC I used was a free gift ($24 value) from CC last BF since they could not find my order. So I almost get the game for free.

shoot. says there isn't one within 100 miles of buckeye either. we just had that new store open up. that shopping center is doomed. first shoe pavillion and mervyns, now circuit city.. all thats left is bru & tru.

now i'm curious if the closing stores will have steeper discounts than the bf stores?!

Total of 13 stores in Phoenix Metro are closing.

If they (the liquidating company) follow their usual gameplan, they will go by a set timeline. BF will not affect whay they do.

I expect it to be done by the end of the year.

Only 1 store in NE is closing, in Orange CT

I prefer CC to Best Buy any day and hope they can pull out of this mess

I sooo love Best Buy...and I am not saying that just cause I work for them..lol! :D

The sad part about it, the one that is closing in my area JUST opend up last year. And they opened up right down the street from a Best Buy!! Not a good choice by a long shot...:no:

EDIT:OOPS..nevermind..I just read the article...:blush:

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/CC/455426521x0x245809/2BFAC9D9-6CEF-4027-9E51-1C635F42F7A7/110308%20Store%20Closing%20List.pdf

^ PDF of all the stores closing.

Edited by deelite
DOH! Moment XD

Sigh. I just drove past this one yesterday when I went to Target. I was kinda excited since it's so close to my house. Oh well, maybe I'll score some good deals as it closes.

Aw. That's too bad. The one closest to me is staying open. Maybe try the one in Concord? That's a pretty good area with lots of stores around. I've gone up there on BF and really enjoyed my shopping experience. Plus, it's not too far from University City.

Am I the only one who thinks that the selected markets are rather random? Atlanta, Kansas City, Phoenix...there's no major distribution center that could possibly serve all of the markets they're pulling out of. It seems more like CC is pulling out of markets that they're being destroyed in rather than refocusing on a specific region. For example, the Columbia, SC Circuit City stores are far superior to the Best Buys in pretty much every way. But if this was a geographical shutdown, they should be pulling out of the South Carolina market as well as the Atlanta market. It feels like even in liquidation CC's management doesn't know what the heck they're doing.

The ones around me aren't closing however there''s one an hour and a half away which i might swing by to see what kind of closeout deals they have but i don''t know if i should go wednesday or wait a little while, when do you think you would be able to get the best stuff at the best prices?

I hope this doesn't turn out like Linens N Things.....one day they announce a few store closings then next thing I know they are all closing.

I didn't even know they're in the process of going out of business until i just read this.... wow, now i feel dumb...lol

FWIW.... the wife and I went down to our nearest CC last night on a scouting trip.

Store was stocked about 70-80% of what it usually is. Lots of floor model items on sale with very few NEW models. Which makes you wonder how much they have left in the stock room.

Can't remember if they sold Macs but there weren't any around. Would suspect Apple would not want those on liquidation and called them in.

And one of the sales clerks told us that this store was the top in their district.

We're looking to go back Wednesday night again.

What I find surprising is that none of the Circuit City locations in South Jersey are closing. They are opening a new location in Marlton, NJ, even though Best Buy attracts crowds that are anywhere from 5 to 7 times bigger than Circuit City on any given day.

Figures I hate Circuit City and all of them in NH and MA are staying open! Ever since last year at BF when I walked out of there at 4:30am (after beings there since 9pm) with NOTHING!...I refuse to go back. I would've gone back for liquidation though! hehe!