Circuit City closing 155 stores, announcement expected tomorrow

Brad

The one in Springfield, IL is staying open. Went there yesterday with a coworker and it seemed like they didn't have much stock. Kind of sad actually. I don't shop there on BF, but unless they really get some major inventory in, I probably won't shop there at all for Christmas.

My brother is the manager of the roadshop(car installation) at circuit city. he advised that if i know anybody living close to a circuit city that is closing please start looking for deals because they will be liquidating their stock. i live in columbus ohio and we have 4 stores closing up here

Guest CS.Dean
Georgia is losing ALL stores but 2 and those are sort of in town where there is not alot of competition. The local Atlanta TV stations did a story on it last night. I know Rome,GA and a store in central/South Georgia are the only ones that will be open now.

Georgia is losing ALL stores but 2 and those are sort of in town where there is not alot of competition. The local Atlanta TV stations did a story on it last night. I know Rome,GA and a store in central/South Georgia are the only ones that will be open now.

Woo Hoo! The one in Rome is the one close to me! I bet it's staying open b/c they have no competition. There is no Best Buy within an hour of here.

Guest CS.Dean
If this reduction in stores does not show a quick effect on the bottom line then shortly after the first of the year it will be over for all the stores. To bad poor management at the top levels are driving this company in the ground so fast

This is the beginning of the end. They appear to be trying a dramatic shakeup, but it will probably not work. The store in York is staying open, but I never really shop there, poor CS & BB usually clobbers them. 1 of the 1st stores in the Baltimore area to open up years ago is on the list, around the corner from my parents house. So long CC as they join the great retailers in the sky.

We had someone at work head out to CC yesterday to check out what was on sale. For a store going out of business they only have everything marked down 10%! There was even a long line to get in first thing in the morning. Some close out sale!

The discounts are a JOKE (10-30%, but almost everything is only 10% off). :yuck:

My dd & I went to our Crystal Lake store last night...hardly anyone in there, and most were leaving without any purchase.

WARNING...all sales are FINAL! My hubby's B-day is this weekend, and our kids really wanted to buy him "Dead Space" for PS3. We got one for $47.99 (down from $59.99), but they cut the package wrap at the exit and mark (with a Sharpie) a line thru the barcode. I asked about returns to a CC store that is NOT closing, but was told NO RETURNS! When I asked about what to do if the video game is defective, they told me that I'll have to contact the manufacturer :mad:

The stores are under the control of a liquidating company. They control the pricing and NOT Circuit City. They always start discounts at 10%, and not necessarily off the original selling price (often it's the MSRP).

What they hope for are the vast majority of consumers that buy on impulse. The smart shoppers that do their homework will know when it's a good deal.

Grrrr, I wanted to get Gears 2 with the 1600 MSpoints :( I'd have to drive an hour or so over to Rome to find a store that is actually doing the weekly sale, lol. Hmmm, wonder if Sears is getting the game or if they sell MSpoints...

If you can wait a few days to play then just order it online - they have the deal and free shipping. In my experience the free shipping is usually much quicker than they estimate. I ordered it that way today, but don't need it till christmas for DH.

We have a local "Don't waist your money" guy on one of the news stations who just talked about this the other day. He said what The Legend above just said. The company is in the hands of a liquidator, and in most cases, the prices are actually marked up before they are marked down! The liquidator marks the price up to the manufacturers suggested price and then starts to offer percents off from that price. So, if you have a normally priced item of $25 and the liquidator marks it up to the msrp of $30 and then offers 10% off, you are still paying more than the original normal price. I think that awful!

ALL of the Curcuit City stores here in Atlanta metro are closing. Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target and BrandsMart USA are the main electronic store here anyway. We also have 1 Fryes store, but i've never been there.

Fry's is great, just examine the item you are purchasing and make sure it's not a return. There should be a sticker on there saying that it is.

One of the two near me is closing. I figured it would happen since they are only 5-10 minutes away from each other.

Went by this afternoon. Walked out with nothing. Almost all items were 10-15% off. Video games were 5%, cd/dvds were 20%. The only thing i saw in the whole store that was 30% off was the rack of GPS accessories.

I think sale prices at non-closing stores are a better bet.

Currently it's 10-20% off the RETAIL price. DVDs (lncluding sets) and CDs are 20% which includes Blu-Ray discs (might be the best deal so far).

Some accessories are at 20%.

I noticed the nearly all the portable memory cards (SD, SDHC, XD etc)disappeared literally overnight. Stock may be been shipped off to stores remaining open.

since all CC's are closing in northeast ohio, i wish fry's come in and takes over. i hear so many good things about fry's. i think they would do nice here since there isn't mush else other than BB and maybe walmart and target and hhgregg (but sucks). we got a microcenter, but it is one store and it is mainly only for computers.

Was there this weekend and nothing jumped out at me. Laptops were a mere 5% off. Video games were not really discounted at all. Blu-Rays seemed like a deal but I am not much of a movie guy. Though this British couple was going crazy and loading up on them. I'll return in a few weeks and hope to score some good deals.

My tip is ask for the chairs and stuff from the employee break room! Yes the employees will be upset but the liquidators are quick to to sell that stuff it seems. I plan to return and ask for any and all empty DVD cases in the back. O! and cleaning supplies you can get for next to nothing. Filing cabinets you can get for $5 too.

Got a GREAT deal at Linens and Things today: 3 flavor packs for my filtered water, 5 packs of staples (1250 count), a 3 ring binder, box of trash bags, 3 reams of paper, 5 packs of pink liquid soap, 2 plastic tubs, a grill set with only the tongs missing, 2 bottles of industrial cleaner and ummm a big box of band-aids and gauze all for the low low price of... *drum roll* $5.49 WOO HOOO!

So are they still closing stores or not:

A LETTER FROM THE CEO

November 12, 2008

To Our Valued Guests:

While Circuit City has a long history of being a leader in the consumer electronics industry, we have recently faced significant financial challenges. Despite our aggressive efforts to address these conditions, our company filed a voluntary petition for reorganization relief under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code on November 10, 2008. This filing will give us the time and resources to address our financial challenges while continuing to provide you, our guests, with the consumer electronics products and services you want for the holiday season as well as the great service that you have come to expect from Circuit City.

It is important for you to understand that this announcement does not mean that Circuit City is going out of business. Our 567 U.S. stores are operating normally, and we look forward to continuing to take care of your consumer electronics shopping needs.

In terms of what this means for you, we have received authority from the Bankruptcy Court to continue to honor all guest programs such as returns, exchanges and gift cards. In addition, Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans® and Circuit City co-branded credits cards are provided to you by unrelated third-party companies and, as a result, are not impacted by the company’s Chapter 11 filing. We are maintaining our commitment to bringing the focus back to you, our guests, and making it much easier to shop with Circuit City. In fact, everything we do for our guests is as important to us as ever.

We have placed information on our investor information home page at http://investor.circuitcity.com that should help answer questions that you may have. Or, you may call us at 1-800-THE-CITY (1-800-843-2489) or email [email protected].

In closing, I want to thank you for your continued patronage. We look forward to serving you and your community for many years to come.

Sincerely,

Jim Marcum

Vice Chairman and Acting President and Chief Executive Officer

Circuit City Stores, Inc.

:fluffy:

Wow. I just checked the list of the stores closing and glad to see mine is not on the list. I thought for sure it would be with a Best Buy and Target across the street, and Walmart 5 miles away. The next nearest CC is about 45 minutes from me and I would not go that far. I usually like to order my items on line and get there to pick it up in 24 minutes. I hate buying at the store where you can't compre the items and I hate paying shipping on items so this is by far the best way to shop. I love CC and it is a shame to see them in trouble :-(