How do you make room??

Scanner420

Alright! I have a small play area for my kids both up and down stairs. (Downstairs has more room.) And after a long day with 4 little ones running around, my house looks like TRU exploded. Now with BF shopping a mere month away and a visit from Mister Ho-Ho himself on the near horizion, how do you make room in your respective places for the incoming haul of toys, games, prizes, etc.

I hate to say it, but I weed through their toys and toss out older ones that have seen better days.(we have bulk pickup twice a month in my town) My DW tried to get the kids to contribute to a yardsale one year and she was only able to get a small shoebox full of stuff that found it's way back into the house. I LOL'd.

Donating stuff is really out since most places only take certain items, (like the little tykes toys that can be easily cleaned.) or they're picky and want newer stuff. And selling is out since we're on time constraints with mine and DW's work schedules, along with the kids school and post-school routines.

Let's hear some of yours.

We do not have a lot of room for toys, it was worse when the others were little though (I thought for a while that I lived in a toy store) I give some of her good used outgrown it toys to our church nursery, others to local thrift stores. Anything broken or not easily cleaned up I usually toss. If I need to really weed things out DD5 cannot be around, because she "still loves it". When I buy something the first thing I think of is where will I put it? The dollhouse will be going in the living room.

I always go through their toys when they are not home. I pretty much know what toys they play with all the time and what ones they may play with every once in a while. I usually bag them up and put them in a room where they can't see them and donate them to our church for their rummage sale, some get thrown away, some go to grandmas, some go to other children. The best way for me to really clean up is to do when they aren't home.

I go through DS's stuff before every birthday and every Christmas and get rid of anything he hasn't played with in a while or has grown out of. I have done the following:

* Given to friends/family who have kids younger than mine

* Garage Sale

* Donated to Goodwill

* Taken good items to my son's daycare

* If it's just not salvagable, threw it away

I go through dd's toys and clothes once every 3 months and pull out anything she's outgrown, toys that she pays no attention to, toys that are so well-loved that they are falling apart, etc etc.

The clothes get split into two piles:

sell

donate

The toys get split into three piles:

church

sell

donate

Then twice a year I participate in a nearby town's (surprise, az) swapmeet where I sell a lot of the items, as well as my crafts and a few other things.

The hardest items to prune are my dd's stuffed animals. I wish people would stop giving her stuffed/plush toys! She gives each and everyone a name, arranges them just so on the floor, and knows immediately if one is missing. They're a dust trap. (and she's allergic ot dust). And I think she has close to 20 stuffed/plush toys.

The hardest items to prune are my dd's stuffed animals. I wish people would stop giving her stuffed/plush toys! She gives each and everyone a name, arranges them just so on the floor, and knows immediately if one is missing. They're a dust trap. (and she's allergic ot dust). And I think she has close to 20 stuffed/plush toys.

Amen!! Lexi's hospital stays are ALWAYS pneumonia. Although her brain damage and seizures are her underlying issues, breathing problems are what ale her. They are what keep us in the hospital 4-6 months a year. The Pulmonologist said years ago..NO more stuffed animals. She probably had 40 at the time so we pruned through and stuck to 15 that we really liked. We then told the family no more, but they keep on giving them to her. They'll say "I know she's not supposed to have anymore but...". It ticks me off that their desires are greater than her well being to them. They think one more won't hurt.

Sorry :threadjac Back to the OP...

I'm in the same boat this year. It's the first time. When we moved DD was 3 and some toys got pruned by design. They went into the bonus room to start with and just never made it back down. I'm not sure how I'm gonna do it this year. I'll feel bad taking their toys away, but my cousin has a little boy that's 10 months old so I'm sure some will go there.

Tell me about it...I have a 1,100 sq ft house and absolutely no storage and no more room for anything. There are already toys all over the living room and the kids bedrooms. I am planning on going through the toys and bagging up the ones that don't get played with and are just taking up room. I am getting my DD a big play kitchen for xmas and she has the fisher price laugh & learn kitchen right now. It's too small for her and sitting in my living room. She still plays with it some but I have to make room for the new toys. We also have about 20 stuffed animals that will be given to goodwill or something. I like the idea of taking some toys to the grandparents houses. Pawn the toys off on them, that's the way to go! lol. As a matter of fact I might just go through the toys today since I will be gone tomorrow!

I post on Craigslist or ask people that I know have kids younger than mine if they would like the toys. I have 2 great nieces and they get a lot of the toys from my DD. However, I like to buy for them and I don't want to inundate my nephew and his wife with only hand me downs.

I always go through the boyz things and donate everything that hasn't been played with in the last 3 months...if a shelter won't take it, it goes to Salvation Army, St. Vincent's, Head Start, church nurseries, etc

if NOBODY will take it, I put it up on freecycle or junk it

I stopped hanging on to stuff just because so-and-so gave it to them or they loved it so much when they were 6...there are a few VERY special items that have been put away for when they are adults, but the rest is gone

How do you make room? You put your foot down with the kids and make them give up some of their toys that they dont play with to either give to others who are in need or throw away things that are not "donate-able". Try freecycle.org, post on Craigslist, give to the church, ask people you know if they know anyone who needs a helping hand, put a sign in the front yard for free stuff and watch it go. The stuff about the kids not allowing things to be sold would not happen here. Sure, the kids can be involved if they are old enough to understand and tell them why, but work with the kids to make room for the new toys that Santa will bring, dont let them rule the roost in other words. :fluffy:

I go through dd's toys and clothes once every 3 months and pull out anything she's outgrown, toys that she pays no attention to, toys that are so well-loved that they are falling apart, etc etc.

Thats sounds like my 3 y/o DD to a tee ! The worst is these 2 tiny plastic dogs her grandma bought her out of one of them gumball machine things. They are literally the size of a quarter and shes always losing them then asks me where tiny or meeko are. How the hell should I know LOL Try tearing the whole house apart looking for a 1/2 inch long plastic dog will she cries the whole time LOL

I go through my kids toys before their birthdays and Christmas and donate them. You can also donate toys to doctors and dentists office waiting rooms and pre-schools/daycares or a church's play area.

What do you mean they only take certain toys? You put them in a garbage bag and drop the bags off at Goodwill or Salvation Army. I've never had them tell me they won't take any toys.

So, I've been cleaning all day. :cheesy: I went through all the toys and actually made room for a lot of things. I have a spot in the living room to put the xmas tree now! lol. I also went through all my dd's clothes and cleaned them out. Now she needs more clothes. I haven't bought that many clothes for this winter yet and it's getting cold out! I've got everything bagged and boxed and ready to be sent to goodwill or somewhere. I just have to clean out my ds's clothes, which isn't that much cause he's only 6 months. I am glad I got stuff cleaned up today!

Why not contact your local foster parent agency or association? They always have new parents who need a stash of toys for kiddos to play with when they come. :) Most kiddos come into care with only the clothes on their backs, occasionally a few more items.

Great idea, Callie!