Selling Refreshments For People In Line ?

Bigbroad55

Got a question ?

Would it be illegal for me to bring sandwhiches and water etc and sell them to the people over night sitting in line ?

I was thinking of 1.00 per water 1.00 per sandwhich and instead if saying they are buying I can ask for the money in donations ?

Edited by Bigbroad55

There's nothing wrong with bringing extra to share with people :)

But... you never know where the plain clothes cops lurk. If you're even thinking about asking for money for the items - whether they're paying or it's donations - I would suggest checking now with the proper people. Sure you can try doing it anyway but will it be worth it if you get caught and fined? How lucky do you feel? :tongue1:

you will also need to get health dept permits and food handling permits.

It is a great idea but not worth it.

I have to say I agree. I would think for the food handling permit you would also have to have taken or would have to take a course on proper food handling.

Good idea, but probably not really doable.

I wonder if you could sell prepackaged snacks, like chips, water and candy. Do you need a permit for that as well??? I have no clue about this kind of stuff, but it sounds like a good idea if you can do it legally. Also if you sell water I hope there is a bathroom nearby lol.

I wonder if you could sell prepackaged snacks, like chips, water and candy. Do you need a permit for that as well??? I have no clue about this kind of stuff, but it sounds like a good idea if you can do it legally. Also if you sell water I hope there is a bathroom nearby lol.

Anytime you deal with food sales you will need a permit and tax id.

I own a business and I am not 100% sure on Florida law but I had a booth at a street fair and wanted to hand out free snacks (pre-packaged food) to promote my business but nope. I was required to get a food sales permit. Even though I have a sellers permit and fed and state tax ID number.

That and I am assuming you do not own a business therefore you do not have business insurance either. All it takes is some assclown to claim they burned their tongue on your hot beverage, choked on a cookie...etc and sue you.

I do admire your capitalistic spirit and entrepreneurship though! :)

Can you call it a donation if you aren't a non-profit? Because I've always thought that some Girl Scout troop should get out there with a hot chocolate booth. I don't think you need permits for bake sales and stuff, do you? Unless maybe that's for established fairs and where this would be a one-off kind of thing, you would need something.

PS. I wouldn't buy something from a private citizen out to make a buck. I'd be much more likely to support a fundraiser than to line someone else's pocket, but that's just one girl's humble opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give you an example to put this in real world.

If you were to sell food and drinks during Black Friday in the City of Dallas, Texas here is what you would have to do.

http://www.dallascityhall.com/ehs/food_handlers.html

http://www.dallascityhall.com/ehs/mobile_food_facilities.html

http://www.dallascityhall.com/ehs/temporary_food_facilities.html

Just to give you an example to put this in real world.

If you were to sell food and drinks during Black Friday in the City of Dallas, Texas here is what you would have to do.

http://www.dallascityhall.com/ehs/food_handlers.html

http://www.dallascityhall.com/ehs/mobile_food_facilities.html

http://www.dallascityhall.com/ehs/temporary_food_facilities.html

Way too much hassle just to sell food. I say worry about yourselves because most of the people won't care, they just want their stuff.

I had thought of doing this myself but I think some people would be offended by it. When the PS3 first came out and we were in line on night before black friday and had been there all day some guys came up in a car and were trying to sell them out of the back of their cars for serious amounts of money; it was ridic. Then the cops came and busted them. Which can be trouble for sometimes and make of interesting shopping.

But usually my hubbydrives by and brings me stuff or we have friends in line and we take turns; its usually pretty cool. Last year the guys were playing ps3 on their tv while waiting.

yep someone went home brought a tv and games and a ps3.

We even hold spots in line for bathroom breaks, yes we know but its courteous and the whole line is usually pretty cool, but cutting in line NONONO WAY!

2 years ago 2 ladies got arrested for cutting in line. Saving spots for a few minutes up to 1/2 hr okay but any longer oops you lose.

CC

Last year I would have paid BIG bucks for a hot cup of cocoa or coffee! It was FREEZING in Maine and it was my first winter back after living in FL for 4 years! When McD's finally opened at 5am I made a coffee/cocoa run and got to use the bathroom. Everyone in line was grateful for a hot drink! This year I am bringing my thermos with hot coffee!

Dont get me started on yard sales! :mad:

Just last year the small town in Cali I reside in now forces you to pay $45 for a yard sale permit and has lots of rules on the type of signs you can put up and how early you can start it and how late you can stay open. If you make a certain amount of $$ you have to pay the city a % ! Also no baked goods for sale at the yard sales and they also made it way too expensive for kids to have a lemonade/Kool-Aid stand! I mean $25 for a daily permit? Give me a break!

Though for yard sales in cities that don't care it's cause the police are fighting real crime and not harassing honest hard working people trying to make some extra $$$.

Strictly speaking, there are legal issues, both with property owners and permits. But as a practical matter, I think you could probably do it and no one would probably mind, even the property owners. I would stay away from prepared foods, including sandwiches, though and focus on simple packaged drinks and commercial snacks. The most desirable item early on BF in most parts of the country would probably be hot drinks, which have to be "prepared", not entirely packaged, but other drinks and snacks might do well too. :razz:

Probably the worst case with property owners is that they would ask you to leave. I think it unlikely they would go further if you complied (and tried someone else's parking lot). ;)

First, why don't you call and ask someone (city hall, police dept, etc.) if it's legal. You don't have to give them details, but just a generic question about it. I've seen a LOT of people do this in my area, but that doesn't mean they do it legally. So I don't know if it would be a problem (especially if you live in a slightly rural community where the police force are more worried about theft, assault, all out riots, etc. on BF), but it's worth checking.

Secondly, saying that you will take donations is not a good idea. Especially if they are simply donating money for your bank account. People will get the idea that you are representing yourself falsely, and that's the quickest way to a bunch of angry people and the cops.

Finally, like everyone has said...I think your biggest issue would be the store owners for solicitation UNLESS you have worked something out with them before hand. If you know a small business owner, or even someone working at a bigger store, maybe you can talk to them about providing refreshments for a fee from the customer, and it would make everyone happy.