Geico Insurance Quote

My girlfriend totaled my car about two weeks ago and I'm nearly finished with my search for a new one. I currently have USAA insurance through my dad but going from only liability to comp/coll will cost about $1000 per 6-months. I checked Gieco and my rate will be closer to $450 per 6-months. I've read some horrible reviews of Geico's service and USAA is supposed to have the best service of anyone.

Should I change providers to save or stick with a company that will treat me right in an accident?

I deal with Gieco on a regular basis with claims. We own a repair shop and they pay just as good as any other insurance co. They all have guidlines that are regulated. So they all have to follow the same set of rules. Just if you get in an accident know your rights and there is no argument. They have always paid fair and are faster to settle than alot of other companys out there. I personally have the cheapest insurance out there. I f you total your car they alll go by the same book to apraise it . If you wreck it we all use one of several comparable estimating programs to repair it.

I used to manage a collision repair shop and we had a great Geico appraiser in our area. (I personally had Geico insurance during a good portion of that time.) They were not among the more difficult to deal with. There are many insurers out there who are MUCH WORSE than Geico. Like the pp said, the important thing is to know your rights and stand up for them. It's also helpful to have a repair shop that knows how to deal with the companies and will ensure that you get the full value for your repairs so that they can be done properly. The only problem I ever had with Geico was their blatant steering of customers to their DRPs (direct repair providers). Many people were under the impression that they had to use these shops, which is not true and also not legal. Geico is not the only company that does this, though, and you are entitled to go wherever you want for your claim.

I use Geico and love them! Every time my policy renews it is a good bit cheaper too -- and yes I have filed claims. In hurricane Katrina when no one could get crap done about their vehicles I called Geico as soon as we had cell service and they were out within a few hours. They did the appraisal right on the spot and handed me a check telling me to just let them know if the repairs cost more then what they gave me.

I also have rental insurance and road side assistance with them -- well worth the little amount of money it costs.

I locked myself our of the truck last week. DH is overseas so I had no one here with a set of keys. They sent out a locksmith right away. I love how great they are. They have excellent service. The lady that evening could not have been any nicer. She was a pleasure to speak to. And every time I have spoken with them that has been the case.

With the claim with hurricane Katrina the rental cars were all gone. But they called Enterprise and I had a rental as promised despite the run around Enterprise was giving me. They have a "working relationship" with Enterprise and they made them hold up to their end of the deal.

I have sent many people to Geico and no one has had any problems.

when i work as a tech at a VW dealership. Car came in with geico insurnace. She told me her story about how she got hit at the passenger side front/ mid area and well the impact was strong enough to bunch her slightly off the curb on the driver side. While i quoted up the doors and everything she also told me if i can confirm that everything is in PERFECT shape under the car wise as it was only 1.5 years old and she had 2 kids, full time mom. I quoted up the doors and sent it over to the body shop for their quote. Then i drove it, while there was no frame damage what so ever there was a bend in the rear axle and at higher speeds it would wobble. I put it on the alignment machine and it was within the specs but it was within the max allowable specs on one side and the opposite on the other side. The geico guy deny my claim on the rear axle beam and told me according the machine everything is aligned and well left her high and dry. $3000 for everything done out of her own pocket. I was rather pissed at them. But every company and every guy is different.

When I was younger (back in high school) I had my car insured under my dad's USAA policy and then moved on to a policy of my own with USAA. They were great-till I had an accident! One accident was all it took to quadruple my insurance costs through USAA. I went to another insurance company (mainly because I couldn't afford USAA anymore) and have been happy ever since. I have never had Geico but I do know I would never use USAA again! Good luck in whatever you decide!

when i work as a tech at a VW dealership. Car came in with geico insurnace. She told me her story about how she got hit at the passenger side front/ mid area and well the impact was strong enough to bunch her slightly off the curb on the driver side. While i quoted up the doors and everything she also told me if i can confirm that everything is in PERFECT shape under the car wise as it was only 1.5 years old and she had 2 kids, full time mom. I quoted up the doors and sent it over to the body shop for their quote. Then i drove it, while there was no frame damage what so ever there was a bend in the rear axle and at higher speeds it would wobble. I put it on the alignment machine and it was within the specs but it was within the max allowable specs on one side and the opposite on the other side. The geico guy deny my claim on the rear axle beam and told me according the machine everything is aligned and well left her high and dry. $3000 for everything done out of her own pocket. I was rather pissed at them. But every company and every guy is different.

Turtle, as a shop I would not have allowed that to happen. If you can't show them the damage, they're not going to pay for it. An alignment machine is not going to tell you if there are slight problems with the frame measurements. If the appraiser is not being agreeable, you do not have to accept that. It should have been your department head's job to call and ensure that her damages were paid.

That, my friend, is why I'd NEVER have my car repaired at a dealership. ;) I can't even begin to list the "re-repairs" that we did on cars that were "repaired" by dealerships. The guys in my shop had 20+ years of experience each. We'd take cars in to have things reset (some SAAB and VW things can only be reset by the dealer) and they'd ask "Where was it hit?" after we'd just finished reconstructing 20k+ in damages. :)

Again, it comes back to know your rights... and know your repairer, lol. The woman should never have paid that 3,000 and I can promise that would not happen if she had come to the place I worked. That 3,000 would have been written as a supplement and we would have called the insurance company daily until it was PAID. If need be, on a rare occasion, a letter to the insurance commissioner can help. Another thing that sometimes works is holding the car hostage until they pay, lol. (You do not have to release the car until the bill is paid in full.) If they are paying loss of use compensation, they like to try to clear the claims up as quickly as possible. ;)

I can't blame the insurance company for that one. Of course they try not to pay! It's their job, lol. It's YOUR job (well, your boss') to MAKE SURE they pay! Aren't you glad you left that job, lol. I actually miss mine. I used to keep a state statute book on my desk and start quoting insurance regulations if they gave me a hard time. I'm sure they didn't like me much, but my customers sure did!

let me tell you from my own experiance, that i have had the el cheapo insurance companies on up to allstate and right now i have geico for the past 7 years. i love them, no hassles what so ever and i have had 2 accidents in the last 2 years (side note, why does people insist on driving on the wrong side of the road, but i digress) insurance rates go up as you know when its your fault or you claim on your insurance, make sure the other company pays if your not at fault, but otherwise geico is inexpensive and customer friendly.

let me tell you from my own experiance, that i have had the el cheapo insurance companies on up to allstate and right now i have geico for the past 7 years.

Be glad you no longer have Allstate. They are one of the WORST. If I had to name the 3 worst companies to deal with, they'd definitely be in the running for first place!

Be glad you no longer have Allstate. They are one of the WORST. If I had to name the 3 worst companies to deal with, they'd definitely be in the running for first place!

and one of the worst ones to get a claim from, the guy that hit me head on was from there i swear that took forever, the accident with the state farm driver paid off in a few days, i was shocked!! but have had lousy cs from them when i had them long time ago

I love Geico. Rearended someone (bent their rear bumper), no cops called because didn't see the damage until they got home. Geico asked me if I hit them from the rear, I said yes, they paid for the accident and didn't hear another thing from anyone ever about it. I think I paid an extra hundred or two for the whole six month premium. I can't remember but it wasn't a lot at all. I love GEICO. And I now pay $68 a month for car insurance, full coverage $500 deductible. I haven't had an accident except for the fender bender over 5 years ago.

Turtle, as a shop I would not have allowed that to happen. If you can't show them the damage, they're not going to pay for it. An alignment machine is not going to tell you if there are slight problems with the frame measurements. If the appraiser is not being agreeable, you do not have to accept that. It should have been your department head's job to call and ensure that her damages were paid.

That, my friend, is why I'd NEVER have my car repaired at a dealership. ;) I can't even begin to list the "re-repairs" that we did on cars that were "repaired" by dealerships. The guys in my shop had 20+ years of experience each. We'd take cars in to have things reset (some SAAB and VW things can only be reset by the dealer) and they'd ask "Where was it hit?" after we'd just finished reconstructing 20k+ in damages. :)

Again, it comes back to know your rights... and know your repairer, lol. The woman should never have paid that 3,000 and I can promise that would not happen if she had come to the place I worked. That 3,000 would have been written as a supplement and we would have called the insurance company daily until it was PAID. If need be, on a rare occasion, a letter to the insurance commissioner can help. Another thing that sometimes works is holding the car hostage until they pay, lol. (You do not have to release the car until the bill is paid in full.) If they are paying loss of use compensation, they like to try to clear the claims up as quickly as possible. ;)

I can't blame the insurance company for that one. Of course they try not to pay! It's their job, lol. It's YOUR job (well, your boss') to MAKE SURE they pay! Aren't you glad you left that job, lol. I actually miss mine. I used to keep a state statute book on my desk and start quoting insurance regulations if they gave me a hard time. I'm sure they didn't like me much, but my customers sure did!

Any chance you're in Tallahassee Florida? I HATE dealing with car repairs. :(

Thanks for all of the positive feedback. This is always a great place for advice. I will probably be going with Geico sometime soon. My quote was lower by about $600 from USAA but my parents were higher so they'll stay with USAA. Thanks again.