Wal-Mart claims they didn't do well.

J_Man

I saw the evening world news on CBS. There was a report about Black Friday and Wal-Mart claimed they didn't do as well as expected. Unless it's because they were counting heavy on their online sales but didn't think things through with the server, I don't know what they were expecting. Wal-Mart here had plenty of people all day long at each one. From what I gathered, most of the items that people wanted were sold out very fast. The junk that nobody would have wanted even if it was a free door prize was all that sold slow. Most of that even looked like it sold too though.

From what I noticed, WalMart didn't do too well either..

They lost alot of online sales when their site crashed... That would have been a HUGE amount of business from all over the country.. And the WalMarts I went into on BF weren't very busy at all for it being Black Friday..

I'm wondering if the people that were trying to order online when the WM site crashed, just said the heck with it figuring all of the doorbusters would be gone by then if they went to the store. I think all of us saw a decreased number of shoppers at Walmart this year.

My walmart was steadily busy BF morning we got to ours at 3am. Got everything we wanted except for 2 idogs.

Things did not fly off the shelf tho, they still have things out as I speak with BF prices!

Had no problem getting superman, or the huge bratz, micro gameboys, movies, got all 6 of my kids the 4 pc p.j. sets in their sizes. Only things there were huge lines for and a panic once 5am hit was the bigger electronics which I wasnt after any of those.

We just got back from Walmart and they STILL have loads of BF stuff. I went for the Lexmark All in One since my hubby just order me a new computer tonight from Dell. They still had at 10 of them sitting there along with two of the LCD tv's a 20" and a bigger one that was $598.

They took the $14 price off the sheets and all the towels were gone, but just about everything is still there stilling on pallets or just stacked in the middle of the main aisles. They had a whole shopping cart filled with those Impact SD cards. I just don't feel sorry for them, they've brought this on themselves with their lousy customer service.

We just got back from Walmart and they STILL have loads of BF stuff. I went for the Lexmark All in One since my hubby just order me a new computer tonight from Dell. They still had at 10 of them sitting there along with two of the LCD tv's a 20" and a bigger one that was $598.

They took the $14 price off the sheets and all the towels were gone, but just about everything is still there stilling on pallets or just stacked in the middle of the main aisles. They had a whole shopping cart filled with those Impact SD cards. I just don't feel sorry for them, they've brought this on themselves with their lousy customer service.

It is at my Walmart to they just didn't have any sales to draw people in my Big Lots was busier then walmart.

Guest CS.Dean
I was in Wal Mart tonight and oh did they bomb in this town on BF.40 or more of the VHS/DVD combos, 6 or 8 of all the TV's, more Garth Brooks than 10 stores could sell. oh and hey they had robes as well. The odd thing is they were still trying to sell them at BF prices and they were NOT selling. Best Buy and Circuit City just killed Wal Mart. The dropped the ball and they will have to have something earth shattering to try and make up for what they lost.

I just got back from doing some basic shopping at WM tonight and they had everything boxed up in pre-printed boxes that said "Return for Credit" - TONS of Pallets of these boxes were EVERYWHERE. If these boxes were pre-printed, then they KNEW they were going to have left overs.

The return for credit boxes are called break packs. They contain misc stock that needs to be sorted by department. They aren't meant for things to send back. They say return for credit because we send the empty boxes back to be reused.

The boxes would have also said something like this costs the company xx cents. Do not destroy. They are not for returning merchandise. They get shipped back to the warehouse empty when the next truck comes.

I wanted to order online but I coundnt so I went to bed, wokeup few hrs later drove to walmart, and every thing I wanted was there and not much of customers, nowere near like last yr, was there today and still have plenty of stock, even had one 52 tv left. this yr was bad for them, they will see and I bet layaway is back in a few months.

I just got back from walmart and there is still TONS of stuff! OMGOSH - the amount of PJ's they have is CRAZY!!!! They have SO much stuff left... I saw EVERYTHING there that I had ordered on-line :mad:

We do not have a Circuit City or Best Buy... I'm sure it must have been the whole getting rid of layaway thing that really hurt them here!!!

~ Erin (SAHM to 3 cuties ages 3 and under)!

The deals this year at WM sucked. Most the stuff they decided to put on sale, no one really wanted. And the stuff that people did want, people figured, from past experience, they wouldn't have enough items and didn't even bother. Getting rid of layaway also hurt them. Most Walmart shoppers who stand in line for hours to get a break on an item, usually don't have $500 to pay for an item at once and used the layaway.

Saying all that...not like Walmart really cares what their customers think anyway, so I don't see anything changing.

Guest vjwilson27

I think there were several things going against walmart this year. First being the no layaway. Then the whole secret item CRAP. They totally dropped the ball with that one. Then of course the big online crash. Then there was the confusion between price matching or not price matching. It was just one thing after another after another.

I only hope that they learn from this year and make things that much better next year. DH works for a distribution center and even the employees there were complaining about how much it sucked this year.

Walmart is saying that their loss in profits is due to their MAJOR price slashing prior to BF...

ummmm....are there any WM exec's reading this board?????

Here is why you did so crappy:

no layaway (MAJOR mistake)

no consistant policies chainwide (pricematching, hours, product placement, etc)

CRAP for specials

CRAP for secrets (a robe???? sheets????? puke...)

pushing people to buy online and then the entire site crashes....nail in the coffin in my opinion

of course, these are just MY opinions...but I will go out on a limb and say I don't think I'm alone here....

Walmart is saying that their loss in profits is due to their MAJOR price slashing prior to BF...

CRAP for specials

pushing people to buy online and then the entire site crashes....nail in the coffin in my opinion

of course, these are just MY opinions...but I will go out on a limb and say I don't think I'm alone here....

You read my mind!

CRAP for specials

Absolutely correct in my opinion.. All of this keeps getting said over and over on these websites, as well as on cable news shows, but the people down in Arkansas just don't seem to understand what they're doing wrong this year.. I guess they just don't care enough to actually listen...

I see a lot of post-BF Walmart bashing. I got there at 5:20am just to pick up a few DVDs. They had some weird stuff going on this year as explained above, but Walmart didn't become the world's largest retailer by screwing up. I suspect people will continue to flock there all year long.

Prices which weren't constant from state-to-state killed WM in Wisconsin......took a look at a couple around here shortly before 5am and the parking lots were 1/2 full if that compared to BB/CC which had lines around the building by 2am.

Absolutely correct in my opinion.. All of this keeps getting said over and over on these websites, as well as on cable news shows, but the people down in Arkansas just don't seem to understand what they're doing wrong this year.. I guess they just don't care enough to actually listen...

I'm from Missouri, and of course, there is a horrible stigma attached to Arkansas, as far as being backwards and slow. I never really believed it, but if the WalMart corp is a big chunk of the population....