All is NOT fair in Black Friday at Best Buy!

katiesmommy01

I was there at 10:30pm, and was #76 in line...it was terrible, horrible security, lots of line cutters (that were reported but NOT removed). They came around with the tickets for the laptop computer, told me they were all out and then proceeded to hand out tickets for the laptop to people BEHIND ME in line!!!! :mad: I went over to the head guy and complained as soon as I figured it out and he was like...tough. I WAS SO PISSED OFF!!! I will never go there black friday again.

You should have gotten there earlier. I got there at 7, was #30 in line. By the time we opened, two people had left making me #28, and 800 more people were in line. The only laptop that made it back to me was the most expensive one. I wasn't worried about that though, I just wanted the $189 desktop, which I am using right now which is excellent! If the people in the front are smart, they make a list of the first 30 people (because those are the only people they are really worried about being cut and such), and they to a role call check every hour until opening. If somebody isn't there, the name is crossed off. When they open they give it to the manager and if somebody besides those 30 people get in, they don't get to purchase anything. There was no security, besides the best buy managers. As always, at the doors people try rushing from the parking lot once they open, but they were stopped and weren't able to get in til all 800 people were in.

Depends on your BestBuy - I got there at 9pm and I SWEAR there were about 20-25 people in front of us. When 4am came around, about 10-15 people happened to materialize in front of us. We still got everything we wanted, but I feel bad for the people behind us.

My hubby went there at 4:30 pm and he called and said it was a ghost town here. So we went for a nap then he headed out at 9:30 pm. When he got there, there were over 55 people in line. Someone said they started lining up at 6 pm. That was the time he was going to go back and check but we both needed sleep for the night. He called to tell me how far back he was, and I told him forget it. He came back home and went out with me and our oldest daughter.

Seriously, how is "You should have gotten there earlier" good advice? Why exactly do people want to wait a full day or more for these deals? There are actually deals like this through the year in various places but they go unseen. A celeron processor is not that great to begin with, but those that will not be pushing the computer hard will get ok use out of it. All through this year I have seen good deals all over the place for celeron computers but hardly any buyers.

Is it just media hype that's possessing people to get out there more and more? The past years hasn't been this bad, but the past years hasn't had the media coverage this year had. It seems the more it was talked about is the more people had to be there. I saw a line at Fred's and Big Lots! Fred's didn't have anything. Big Lots had a few items but nothing major.

This isn't meant as an "attack" post. I'm just really curious why people wanted to wait that long for deals that were there during the year. Plus why are people willing to throw Thanksgiving away just to be there for the deals? I wanted one of the more expensive computers Best Buy had, but couldn't even get that due to them having too low a stock and too many people. I've already found a better deal anyway and will be getting something just after Christmas.

This year was kind of an intersection of circumstances for me....

It's the Ex's year with the kids and my parents were going about 3 hours away to their weekend house for Thanksgiving this year. Plus, they weren't doing a family meal, they were going to the Country Club for dinner and then leaving for a 2 week cruise. My truck gets abot 3 miles to the gallon and I didn't want to do my BF shopping at Texaco. My brother was working for the holiday so it was going to be just me. Plus, my poor old laptop is just barely hanging on with about 500meg of drive space left and my living room TV bit the dust last week.

I had alot of fun, witnessed a drunk driving accident (SUV flew off the bridge onto the highway embankment below, no joke) and pulled my drunk and emotionally unstable friend out of the bar next tot he store a couple of times. I have some good war stories for the office on Monday.

The only thing I regret is letting my brother get the 42" LCD instead of the 42" plasma but I was almost delirious by the time he asked my advice. I'm taking a tent, a heater and a cot next year.

Yeah I didn't get the $379 laptop from BB. I got there at 7:45 and ended up being 124 in line. My friend got the camera. I asked the first person in line how early they got there they said 5am Thursday-Thanksgiving day. They had the Taco Bell next door for their dinner. I'd rather have turkey dinner with the family. Well I'm still going to look online and in the print ads now thru Christmas to see if I can get a good deal on a HP laptop.

You were number 70-something in line and they still had tickets for the laptops?! Wow. I know you didn't get one, but if someone BEHIND you got one, then wow. That is pretty surprising to say the least. The laptop tickets are usually gone by person number 20 if not TEN!

I was #79 in line and we arrived at 6:30. At my local store near Orlando. The experience would have been without issue if a group of young guys (20s) didn't think they were so cool and try to cut themselves in line to about #50. That was around 3 AM, so the line was pretty much wrapped around the entire building. In fact some clever folks were protesting that the line began on the other side, so that they would get in first...no dice.

Our crowd wasn't having any of that, a good samaritan (who was #1 in line and had been there by 5PM the day before Thanksgiving!) began taking names as about the first 125 people arrived, so the people who had a real chance of getting something wouldn't get screwed. It was cool how everyone came together and began making the guys who cut well aware that they were not pulling a fast one here. One lady immediately called the sheriff's department and within 10 min we had about 5 or 6 cops policing the line. The guys who cut left right away when they saw the cop cars enter the parking lot. :D

The guy who took names/inventory of what people wanted handed that list to Best Buy staff, explaining what he had done, and it worked out better than I thought. They then went down the line asking for names, and matching them with names in the list. If your name matched, then you were offered a voucher for front page items, otherwise nothing and you were asked by police officer to go to end of line.

Everything was VERY orderly after that. My advice...if you suspect trouble, call your sheriff/police department. Got both the 32" Westinghouse LCD, and 22" Westinghouse monitor without an issue.

Yeah I didn't get the $379 laptop from BB. I got there at 7:45 and ended up being 124 in line. My friend got the camera. I asked the first person in line how early they got there they said 5am Thursday-Thanksgiving day. They had the Taco Bell next door for their dinner. I'd rather have turkey dinner with the family. Well I'm still going to look online and in the print ads now thru Christmas to see if I can get a good deal on a HP laptop.

Try egghead and tigerdirect. They both have been having real good deals. Earlier this year they had a far better laptop for $399. That extra $100 would be worth it versus the celeron laptop offered on Black Friday. But of course there's shipping charges too.

Try egghead and tigerdirect. They both have been having real good deals. Earlier this year they had a far better laptop for $399. That extra $100 would be worth it versus the celeron laptop offered on Black Friday. But of course there's shipping charges too.

True, there are some good deals all year, but BF just happens to coincide with our work bonuses and Christmas Clubs arriving a week before, so we have the extra blow money just then. Add to that the fun to be had in a nice line....one where the people act like adults and not petty, spoiled children as some of the posts lead me to believe happens, and you can have a good experience.

I have yet to see a 32" LCD HDTV for $480, or a 22" LCD monitor under $200, or a 250GB WD MyBook external hard drive ANYWHERE for $70, or the Canon MP160 all-in-one printers for $20. Or the Linksys $20 wireless-g router.

The laptop deals......well, you can slam the Toshiba $249 deal all you want. But it was only $250. The $380 HP was a very good deal.....everywhere I've been looking for a similarly spec'd laptop runs $680 and up, so $380 is quite a deal.

Now, it's true that the doorbuster items tend to be lower-end products that they can sell for a price that will be guaranteed to draw a crowd, but if one is realistic about what one is getting for the money, there is nothing to regret or be down about.

I read about how little people that wait in line for this stuff actually save if compared to working....but I've been off all this week, with pay, so had absolutely nothing planned. I did get my Thanksgiving turkey dinner, but it was delivered piping hot by my wife as I sat in line....was nice, actually. So I spent into the four figure range, but figure I saved about as much as I spent. Figured out per hour and I saved more per hour than I make per hour at work, so I do not regret for one second the time I spent in line this year, last year, any year, nor the time I shall spend in line next year.

Oh, if you haven't noticed, I do take BF seriously and do almost all of my X-Mas shopping on this day and save a ton of money to boot. So I shall always camp out for the doorbusters until I'm too old to handle the cold, and at 52, that time is far from happening yet.

I think the reason that there were so many line line early was the meida hype which was strong this year and BB releasing there ad on Tuesday on there website. The first person in my line was there at 7pm on Wednesday. I was there around noon on Thursday. There were around 1000 people in line around 5pm on Thursday.

Seriously, how is "You should have gotten there earlier" good advice?

Are you being serious or joking around? Because obviously if you really wanted something, you would have gotten there earlier, up in the line towards the first people where you are almost garaunteed a ticket.

If she got there at 10:30, and noticed there were 75 people in front of her. She should have noticed that those 75 people were standing out there for a reason, probably to get the good deal tha she was wanting. Also, should have realized that there are very very slim chance of there being 75 of these laptops that she wanted. So like I said, if she really wanted it, she would have lined up earlier, or not have stayed at all and went elsewhere like an Office Depot where there were laptops for not much more and barely anybody in line.

Are you being serious or joking around? Because obviously if you really wanted something, you would have gotten there earlier, up in the line towards the first people where you are almost garaunteed a ticket.

If she got there at 10:30, and noticed there were 75 people in front of her. She should have noticed that those 75 people were standing out there for a reason, probably to get the good deal tha she was wanting. Also, should have realized that there are very very slim chance of there being 75 of these laptops that she wanted. So like I said, if she really wanted it, she would have lined up earlier, or not have stayed at all and went elsewhere like an Office Depot where there were laptops for not much more and barely anybody in line.

I'm more the type to say if I really want something I'll just spend extra when it's not on sale. A full day to stand in line for a chance to buy something is not my cup of tea. Time is money to me. That was the point of the question I posed. Why do people want to throw away Thanksgiving or anything else to stand in line for a day or longer just to save a few bucks? There were some ok deals, but nothing worth a full day of waiting or even multiple days in some people's case.

Like I was asking, was it the hype this year that did it to people, or what happened? I've been getting out there for 8 years now. This was my 8th year. All previous 7 years, I didn't see people willing to throw out Thanksgiving to stand in line. The most I ever saw was 20 something and that's because I got there at 3:30am instead of 3:00am. Every previous year, the longest anyone was out was around 12am or 1am. That's fine and I might would do that if there was something I want. I just can not understand anyone getting in line before that time. I can't do anything but ask "why?" to that.

MMMM, Thanksgiving dinner served on the sidewalk does sound so nice!

Well, tell you what. After suffering a Thanksgiving north of Saigon in 1972, raining, mud everywhere, and such company of people to enjoy the meal with (including those that kept plinking us about every 5 mins. with random shots), then you'd understand why eating in front of Best Buy with a group of people sharing a delightful experience of waiting, with my wife, is vastly better than most of what I had as a teenager.

Actually, I probably had a better Thanksgiving experience, despite eating in front of BB, than the vast majority of the world that day.........considering what is happening in so many various locations in the world (war, famine, strife, etc.), I counted myself lucky to be able to do what I did with the people I did it with.

I'm more the type to say if I really want something I'll just spend extra when it's not on sale. A full day to stand in line for a chance to buy something is not my cup of tea. Time is money to me. That was the point of the question I posed. Why do people want to throw away Thanksgiving or anything else to stand in line for a day or longer just to save a few bucks? There were some ok deals, but nothing worth a full day of waiting or even multiple days in some people's case.

Like I was asking, was it the hype this year that did it to people, or what happened? I've been getting out there for 8 years now. This was my 8th year. All previous 7 years, I didn't see people willing to throw out Thanksgiving to stand in line. The most I ever saw was 20 something and that's because I got there at 3:30am instead of 3:00am. Every previous year, the longest anyone was out was around 12am or 1am. That's fine and I might would do that if there was something I want. I just can not understand anyone getting in line before that time. I can't do anything but ask "why?" to that.

J_Man, I do understand time is money. I usually don't mind paying retail for what I want now. I also understand the concept of throwing away a day for a few bucks, but in my case, we ended up, considering retail pricing at the best we could find the month or so before BF, over $1200 with what we purchased on BF. So, the lining up was worth it....at least I feel that way, at about $100/hr.

As for why? That is hard to answer, but here's what I managed to get out of people. And I think it's a lot to do with this and other BF sites and their exposure, actually.

One thing was the internet and sites like this. Brad, Ross, and others at other sites have been promoting these sites on various media outlets for the last two years. While the various stores had their ads leaked on the internet for a few years longer than GottaDeal, BFads, etc. existed, they were in areas rarely visited by the internet-illiterate. You had to know where to go to find them....and where they were wasn't in mainstream areas.

Now, though, CNN, CBS, newspapers, etc., all are touting the BF madness and the fact that this site and others have the leaked ads for viewing up to weeks before BF.....and every Tom, Dick, Harriet, and Susan with a computer and internet connection can now see what is on sale and plan.

So, why do I think the BF sites are a major factor in the lines becoming longer earlier? Take this site...it's been up for now, three BF seasons, starting in '04. The first year it got little media exposure and was only really known to forum surfers "in the know," so to speak. The lines at BB, CC, etc. didn't start forming until their usual 2-3AM, like in the years before then....if you showed up at midnight, you were lonely until 2-3AM.

Last year, the second year of these sites, they began to get more mainstream media exposure. Their registered member list began to grow and a lot more visitors began cruising them. I showed up at BB and CC at midnight, early I thought, only to find at BB we were going to be 25-30th in line, and CC had about 7 people in line. (Our CC is never as popular as BB.)

This year, the websites for BF began to be heavily exposed on the mainstream media outlets. My midnight arrival, while a bit late last year, would have put me over 100th in line at BB.....CC, on the other hand, maybe had 25 people in line then, but again, an increase.

Asking people how they found out about the sales, GottaDeal, BFAds, and the other websites promoting ad scans, were mentioned time and again.

But, considering many of the items given as doorbusters are essentially the same as they were for years in the past and at similar prices, I just don't think it was the laptops or desktops that were bringing them out.....it was the exposure to the excitement and the volume of people who were viewing these sites that drove people out earlier and earlier each year.

So, while Brad, et al, have enjoyed a dramatic increase in traffic and popularity in their sites, the increased exposure has also had a dramatic effect on lines and when the form. And while media exposure about BF has increased, most exposure seems to be in response to sites like this and their increasing use and growing membership.

So the sites are growing off their media exposure as more and more mainstream people find out about them, and the hype and such in the postings on these sites affect an increasing number of people each year.......and most figure out, correctly, that with the limited numbers of items available, it would behoove them to get out early. And it has.

So maybe while these sites are great and all, their popularity is a double-edged sword. They are at least somewhat responsible for what we see as the increasing insanity on BF, and maybe more than a little responsible.

I was there at 10:30pm, and was #76 in line...it was terrible, horrible security, lots of line cutters (that were reported but NOT removed). They came around with the tickets for the laptop computer, told me they were all out and then proceeded to hand out tickets for the laptop to people BEHIND ME in line!!!! :mad: I went over to the head guy and complained as soon as I figured it out and he was like...tough. I WAS SO PISSED OFF!!! I will never go there black friday again.

Best Buy got bad press from Channel 8 News in Dallas, over the way they handled all of this. And they deserved it.

In addition, it seems the real reason for these limited quantity sales with mass advertising is to get a number of customers coming into the store even many hours later, asking about items that were gone at the beginning of the day. The idea is the customer will buy something else while there. I don't fall for that. But go in the store and listen to them whine. They made the trip anyway.

I heard someone who arrived at 3:00 a.m. told they did not have any more laptops, once the store opened at 5:00. The response was "read about it in the newspaper." Maybe they will.

It's not considered "throwing away the day" if it's an experience you are enjoying! Some of us actually like being a part of the crowds & crazy atmosphere that comes along with Black Friday.

Personally, even while waiting in lines FOREVER & dealing with all the rest, I enjoyed sharing the experience with one of my best friends. For us, the day was a memory-maker!

I too had a bad experience with best buy. We arrived at 11:45 to find that we were 110 in line. About 3:30 the crowd rushed the doors, with TONS of people from their nice warm cars intermingling. We ended up at about 250. Never even heard them announce most of the tickets. Was one per family on the laptops, however one woman who had 12 teens in line for her, ended up with 3 of the 249 ones, 3 of the 379 ones, 2 of the big screens, and 3 of the 189 e-machines. I will never stand out in the cold all night again at best buy unless they figure out another typ of system for crowd control. Was very disappointed :(

Well, tell you what. After suffering a Thanksgiving north of Saigon in 1972, raining, mud everywhere, and such company of people to enjoy the meal with (including those that kept plinking us about every 5 mins. with random shots), then you'd understand why eating in front of Best Buy with a group of people sharing a delightful experience of waiting, with my wife, is vastly better than most of what I had as a teenager.

Actually, I probably had a better Thanksgiving experience, despite eating in front of BB, than the vast majority of the world that day.........considering what is happening in so many various locations in the world (war, famine, strife, etc.), I counted myself lucky to be able to do what I did with the people I did it with.

I thank you for your service.

I also truly do hope that there were some Thanksgivings since that one in 1972 that would make eating dinner on the sidewalk pale in comparison.

I used to get up around 3am on Friday and head out. Been doing that for over 10 years.

I'd usually be near the front of the line.

If I did that now, I'd probably be a couple hundred people back. I'm unwilling to give up the Thanksgiving holiday with my family and my extended family and go out there a day early.

I really don't care how much I'll save. It's not worth it to me. It's a personal decision.

I'm sitting here watching GMA do a story on people exchanging peace and goodwill for debt and holiday rage.

Thanks, count me out.

Your mileage may vary.

I quite understand. I don’t know if were at the same Best Buy but I got there at 12:00 noon on Thanksgiving and it was one man there when I got there, so I was second in line then a couple more people came and put there chairs out with ours and left. We were sitting in our car; it was nice outside so we were just chilling. The man in front of me wanted to leave for a minute and ask me to watch his spot, and I did. About 5pm a guy came up and sat in the first seat so I got out and told him that these seats are taking he said I don't see anyone here, and I said we are in our car so he said I thought Best Buy put those chairs out. So to make a long story short, the guy never moved and he was able to get all he came for first and Best Buy said they didn't want to get involved with who cut in line. This was my first time at Best Buy maybe my last.

After standing in line for that long, I was in their store for hours after that. My family and I always make it to about 6 or more stores that day, Best Buy was the only store I went to, missed a lot of other sales.:mad: :mad:

I guess for me, it's because I started doing this with my wife the year we got married. She's in a wheelchair and can deal with several hours in a line, but there's no real way to sit out for probably more than 5 hours. Lack of the easy ability to find a bathroom for starters aside from health reasons (easier to get sick than most). Up until this year it wasn't a problem with people messing up a fun thing.

So yeah it does make me mad that people feel the need to get out there so early. It's not just that I can't, I won't either. That's not fun to me. Even if it was just me. But yeah it's been basically a tradition. It's kind of like having a place you like going to and they decide to tear it down and turn it into a teenager hang out. You can't go there anymore without feeling weird, and really why would you want to?

As for having Thanksgiving in front of Best Buy (or any other store) versus at home, I guess I pick home. I've got a dad that lost a leg in the korean war. He's 75 and wouldn't be out for these sales. I don't know how many more years I have to be with him for holidays, so I prefer to spend them with family. I guess I wrap up my thoughts about that with other people.

I appreciate the answers. Like I said, I'm not slamming anybody for doing it. I just don't understand it and just dislike the idea that my wife and myself may have to give up a tradition just because people are taking things a little to far in my opinion. Yeah that's the main thing my questioning stems from, plus I feel that people doing this will eventually cause the store to totally change how they do Black Friday. Eventually crowds could get to be too much even for the stores. They almost were this year in a lot of places.

I guess for me, it's because I started doing this with my wife the year we got married. She's in a wheelchair and can deal with several hours in a line, but there's no real way to sit out for probably more than 5 hours. Lack of the easy ability to find a bathroom for starters aside from health reasons (easier to get sick than most). Up until this year it wasn't a problem with people messing up a fun thing.

So yeah it does make me mad that people feel the need to get out there so early. It's not just that I can't, I won't either. That's not fun to me. Even if it was just me. But yeah it's been basically a tradition. It's kind of like having a place you like going to and they decide to tear it down and turn it into a teenager hang out. You can't go there anymore without feeling weird, and really why would you want to?

As for having Thanksgiving in front of Best Buy (or any other store) versus at home, I guess I pick home. I've got a dad that lost a leg in the korean war. He's 75 and wouldn't be out for these sales. I don't know how many more years I have to be with him for holidays, so I prefer to spend them with family. I guess I wrap up my thoughts about that with other people.

I appreciate the answers. Like I said, I'm not slamming anybody for doing it. I just don't understand it and just dislike the idea that my wife and myself may have to give up a tradition just because people are taking things a little to far in my opinion. Yeah that's the main thing my questioning stems from, plus I feel that people doing this will eventually cause the store to totally change how they do Black Friday. Eventually crowds could get to be too much even for the stores. They almost were this year in a lot of places.

I agree with ya. I think it's crazy to give up a day waiting in line or even 3 or 4 hours just to get the bargains. It seems the waiting is getting longer & longer as each year passes & I dont like that. I noticed this year that people were getting to stores much earlier then last year. It is getting harder to get the things you want. I just wish BF would go back to years past.

At the best buy in orlando a family was in front of the line and they gave them most the tickets even gave them to a 8 year old boy. Aunts uncles etc all got the tickets. THere where so many pissed off people. Best buy doesnt give a #*#t. They just dont care how this is was handled. Even the news played it off saying everything went well which was far from the truth.:mad: This will be last year of this crap we waited since 430 wed and didnt get anything worth waiting for.

Best Buy got bad press from Channel 8 News in Dallas, over the way they handled all of this. And they deserved it.

In addition, it seems the real reason for these limited quantity sales with mass advertising is to get a number of customers coming into the store even many hours later, asking about items that were gone at the beginning of the day. The idea is the customer will buy something else while there. I don't fall for that. But go in the store and listen to them whine. They made the trip anyway.

I heard someone who arrived at 3:00 a.m. told they did not have any more laptops, once the store opened at 5:00. The response was "read about it in the newspaper." Maybe they will.

The story on WFAA was about kids selling there tickets to people at the end of the line.

I agree with H_Hancock post about the media and the lines. I have been saying this over the past few days as well and think next year BF might be different.

see, here was my issue guys...I do not mind waiting all night, if it's FAIR. Yes, I got there at 10:30pm, and yes, I realized that there were alot of people in front of me, but I figured, OK, whatever, we will see how it goes. And I should've gotten the laptop. I could've been OK if they were really out of the laptop...but they werent! And to give it to people in BACK of me really pissed me off! I even went back later in the morning (to pick up my desktop) and confronted the worker who did it, and he lied to my face telling me that they were out of the laptop and the first people in line were there at 5pm the day before Thanksgiving...a LIE because I met the first people in line and they said they got there 5pm on Thanksgiving. Needless to say, I told the guy off for lying to my face. The whole experience left a horrible taste in my mouth.

I live in "little" Asheville North Carolina and i was one of those crazyb people waiting in line at 7:30 pm Thankksgiving day and i was 18 in line, well 18 in line until all the people showed up that had someone holding a place for them.I thought there was going to be a fight from others behind me who felt free to express there rage at people showing up much later ans hopping in line.I ended up getting what i had wanted but the rage was quite scary. I will take the advice on the fab people on gotta deal forum and show up eairler next year..I should listened !!!!:)

I went to the Fairview Heights, IL BB at 7:20pm on TGiving night. I was number 50 probably.

They only had 20 of the laptops, and the cheap desktops. So they ran out of them of course. My daughter and grandson joined me around 9 or so, I told everyone around me that they were coming, so no one said too much about it.

Our BB had a porta-potty on site, and came around about 4:30 am with coffee, hot chocolate, and Krispy Kreme donuts. The police were there driving by every hour or so all night and then camped out closer to 4 am. They told us to let them know if anyone had crashed the line, that they would be removed and they did a couple of people. The weather wasn't exactly warm (40's) and some young people were there in shorts, long sleeve shirts, or sweatshirts to sit outside all night. No coats, no chairs, no blankets, nothing. They obviously had never done that before.

I did buy the 100 dvd -r for $4.99, thought that was a good deal. It was a zoo! But that is part of the fun. At 20 after 6, I went home, took a shower, a nap and later went back to CC and BB.

Thank you for letting me know about the $999.99 Panasonic TV from CC, I bought it online the night before, and it will be delivered free............ can't wait... thanks again mama