All is NOT fair in Black Friday at Best Buy!

katiesmommy01

I drove by the BB around 9pm on turkey day to see the masses of people. The only thing I really wanted was the laptop. I had ordered everything else on line earlier in the day - I got the 159 camcorder, the $19 printer, the SD cards and all the DVDs I wanted. I never even hit BB this BF .. but did shop there!

I took a vow several years ago to NEVER go to BB on Black Friday ever again. The money that I saved on the my PS2 bundle was spent when I had to pay regular priced items because I missed the doorbuster specials at all the other stores. In my opinion, a trip to BB is overrated on BF.:g_thumbsd

well, my experience was mediocre, we have 2 BB in this area so we had planend on going @ 5 to sit, well my wife decided to go @ 3:30 or so just to check and see what the line was looking like, well when she got there it was already 18 people in line, so she called and i loaded the other vehicle and i went to the other BB to see what they were working w/ and they had about 40 people in line, so i went to join here, for our 13 hour stakeout for the toshiba laptops, it was a family of 7 in front of us that had their dinner, dessert, and nightcaps on the sidewalk, they were really nice their other family members and friends came out to entertain and keep them company they kept the whole front of the line compay as well.... somebody made suggestions on an earlier post to make friends in line, that is what we did and we walked away w/ 2 of the toshibas, which was a sweet deal.... hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Folks if you get in line at BB and are more than 40 back, you should *count* on one or two of the top deals being gone. There's really no reason to get upset about them running out if you're further back than that. Realistically how many should they sell at little to no profit? Even if they had 50 or 100 of the $250 laptops they would have been purchased by the first 300 in line so you still would have hundreds of disappointed people.

I can safely say that this past year will definitely be my last for BB (it was my 3rd in a row). We got there at 5pm and were around 40th in line at that point. Thankfully we got the last vouchers for the laptops and the $180 emachines computer so we got what we came for. Even though I've always enjoyed waiting with my wife and some friends every year, we just aren't willing to throw away Thanksgiving next year by getting in line at noon for deals that just don't seem to be what they once were.

Why exactly do people want to wait a full day or more for these deals? There are actually deals like this through the year in various places but they go unseen. A celeron processor is not that great to begin with, but those that will not be pushing the computer hard will get ok use out of it. All through this year I have seen good deals all over the place for celeron computers but hardly any buyers.

Well said. If you check the forums here and are on buy.com's e-mail list then you see great deals all of the time. The savings on these subpar computers really aren't that fantastic by comparison. That Toshiba came can't even burn dvd's and 256MB of RAM barely cuts it these days. [edit -- it came with 512MB of RAM although 128 of that is shared w/ the video card]

FWIW, if you really want something bad enough show up at 4:30 and offer the people at the front of the line silly money for their vouchers. There were at least a dozen or so people that came up to us trying to buy our vouchers and after hearing offers at $50 a voucher we decided we could do without a couple of items :).

Folks if you get in line at BB and are more than 40 back, you should *count* on one or two of the top deals being gone. There's really no reason to get upset about them running out if you're further back than that. Realistically how many should they sell at little to no profit? Even if they had 50 or 100 of the $250 laptops they would have been purchased by the first 300 in line so you still would have hundreds of disappointed people.

I can safely say that this past year will definitely be my last for BB (it was my 3rd in a row). We got there at 5pm and were around 40th in line at that point. Thankfully we got the last vouchers for the laptops and the $180 emachines computer so we got what we came for. Even though I've always enjoyed waiting with my wife and some friends every year, we just aren't willing to throw away Thanksgiving next year by getting in line at noon for deals that just don't seem to be what they once were.

Well said. If you check the forums here and are on buy.com's e-mail list then you see great deals all of the time. The savings on these subpar computers really aren't that fantastic by comparison. That Toshiba came can't even burn dvd's and 256MB of RAM barely cuts it these days.

FWIW, if you really want something bad enough show up at 4:30 and offer the people at the front of the line silly money for their vouchers. There were at least a dozen or so people that came up to us trying to buy our vouchers and after hearing offers at $50 a voucher we decided we could do without a couple of items :).

I think the Toshiba Laptop has 512MB Ram. It has to be for Vista. I have not openned my laptops yet.

Well i got there a midnight and was like 150 to 200 seems like everyones friends and family showed when it got closer to the time for the store to open and people where rushing in from the parking lot right infront of the cops.. went by at 8pm on turkey day and there was already 50 people waiting so went to my girls house and waited til midnight since i didnt have my coat (my dad took it in error when he went to the movies)..i knew i wanted one of the more expensive laptops (gateway)so i knew there was no point in showing up earlier and waiting..all in all not that bad employees where handing tickets to anyone inline or not..Next year i will be doing most of my shopping online unless there is some killer deal at the store