Baking for Christmas: Love it? Planned event?

EmConMom

Christmas Baking?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Christmas Baking?

• Love it!!!!!
    • Hate it.
    • Never think about it, it's just something I do.

I was just wondering what everyone does as far as baking Christmas cookies. For example, my family and friends plan a day where we all make dozens upon dozens of cookies and then split them. We usually have 4 or 5 mixers going and rolling, decorating, icing, sorting, etc 'stations'. We listen to Christmas music, chatter, laugh and just have the best time.

Please share your baking traditions....:holiday07:

To make soft, chewey cookies always use unsalted real butter instead of margarine or crisco.

And never, ever cook them too long. Take them out when slightly browned and they will keep on baking for a bit. (At least this is what I do and they always turn out terrific.) I usually take one week right after Thanksgiving and for a few hours each day do all of my Christmas baking.

In addition to the traditional sugar cookies I also make several gumdrop cakes. My friends and family do not like regular fruitcake but they seem to love the gumdrop cakes.

we have a contest who get get their cookie closest to the way grandma used to make, they always come close but never the same, there's a rumor that it was her hand lotion mixed in with the dough which gave its distinct taste.

We try to do that with banana creme pies, my grandmother made some every year for Christmas and in the 3 years since her passing, we just cannot get it right. Our are always watery, or just not quite there.

She never let anyone watch her while she was making them, only could watch them bake in the oven (and clean up her mess) She would gladly give out her recipe but would tease us that they won't turn out right.:giggle:

I love to bake, usually make a few batches for the kids to bring to my hubby and his crew at the fire station the couple shifts before Christmas and make some for my youngest to take to school, and some for home. No one in my house is too big on junk food so a dozen cookies will last a few days. I also love to make peppermint bark!

Last year for gifts I made, brownies, choc. chip cookies, nuts & bolts and buckeyes. I bought the nesting tin cans and stacked them on top of each other filled with the above mentioned and tied a nice bow around it all to secure it. They were a BIG HIT,and hardly cost anything to make.

I am a cake decorator so I see cakes all the time so it is nice to get to make something different even if it is once a year!!!:fluffy:

I always bake up a storm!!! My mom and my sisters do too...this year we are going to Kohls to get the apron/mitt sets for all of us and put aside a day to bake away!! I always make buckeyes too..they are great and easy but take about a million years..this year my mother in law asked me to do a "few" for her (12 dozen). Guess i better get started!!

Baking is usually me and my DD with my DS sitting in the floor licking spoons etc. DH and I always make chex mix for friends and teachers and that is something we do together. Funny I have never thought about it before but we are usually watching a Christmas special and we pretty much know what we will be doing in cooking. I guess we have just been doing it so long its kind of unspoken. :)

I love to bake, especially at Christmas time! Cookies, cakes, pies, candy, breads - you name it, I want to bake it and and share the goodies with family and friends. The kitchen is my favorite room in my house during this time of the year! My daughter and I make and freeze most of our cookie dough after Thanksgiving and do all our baking a few days before Christmas. I don't care about decorating that much because I hate putting everything away but I do enjoy baking during the holidays.

I love making Christmas goodies. I usually start the second week of December and go straight until Christmas day. I make more candy than I do baking though. Baking is usually just a few different types of cookies and banana bread.