GottaDEAL 2021 Black Friday Prize Club Thread

Brad

Happy August, GDer fam!

Spent this past weekend in Fremont, OH with a buddy of mine watching our buddy sling his 410 dirt sprint car around a couple of local dirt tracks. Friday was Attica Raceway Park, Saturday was a trip to Cedar Point and then back to Fremont Speedway for more racing. Yesterday, we were back at Cedar Point for the day. Good times.

Us with our racer buddy Friday night... Some might recognize him... lol

post-90150-162795730129_thumb.jpg

(I’ve known this guy since he was 16. Cool to be able to be even a small part of his story. [emoji4])

• Like 2

It dawns on me a lot of folks won’t have any idea who the driver is in that picture I posted. For those not familiar with NASCAR drivers, the driver in the picture is Alex Bowman, current driver of the #48 NASCAR Cup Series car.

As I mentioned, I’ve known him since he was a teen, just starting out in the ARCA series. First met him at a Toyota drivers appearance “way back in the day”, am fortunate to have become his cheesecake & cookie dealer (lol) because he was rooming and working with another good friend (and cookie monster) of mine in Charlotte.

Like many who make it to the top levels of any racing series, Alex has fought long and hard to pursue his racing dreams. The support from Dale Jr that he got when Dale needed someone to step in and drive the 88 as he recovered from a concussion meant (and still means) the world to Alex. It gave him the opportunity to show what he could do in good equipment and he did not take that opportunity for granted. That chance turned into an offer to drive the 88 full time when Dale Jr hung up his helmet, then the incredible opportunity to move over into the famed 48 car when Jimmie Johnson (7x Series Champion) hung up his helmet on his long and storied Cup Series career.

Those of us who’ve known Alex since “way back when” have been right there cheering him on every step of the way and are thrilled to see him getting the chance to truly shine these days (even if it means we don’t always hear from him as often). He’s a great “kid” (he’s 28 or 29 now) who has remained humble and hungry throughout his journey, no matter what life has thrown his way, good or bad.

And now, having said all that, I am grateful and consider it a blessing that he counts me as a buddy and is still genuinely thrilled when he sees me (and my fellow cookie girls) show up either trackside or at his race shop holding a bag of homemade cookies that he knows are all his. It’s the little things in life that are the big things. Truly. [emoji170]

• Like 6

It dawns on me a lot of folks won’t have any idea who the driver is in that picture I posted. For those not familiar with NASCAR drivers, the driver in the picture is Alex Bowman, current driver of the #48 NASCAR Cup Series car.

As I mentioned, I’ve known him since he was a teen, just starting out in the ARCA series. First met him at a Toyota drivers appearance “way back in the day”, am fortunate to have become his cheesecake & cookie dealer (lol) because he was rooming and working with another good friend (and cookie monster) of mine in Charlotte.

Like many who make it to the top levels of any racing series, Alex has fought long and hard to pursue his racing dreams. The support from Dale Jr that he got when Dale needed someone to step in and drive the 88 as he recovered from a concussion meant (and still means) the world to Alex. It gave him the opportunity to show what he could do in good equipment and he did not take that opportunity for granted. That chance turned into an offer to drive the 88 full time when Dale Jr hung up his helmet, then the incredible opportunity to move over into the famed 48 car when Jimmie Johnson (7x Series Champion) hung up his helmet on his long and storied Cup Series career.

Those of us who’ve known Alex since “way back when” have been right there cheering him on every step of the way and are thrilled to see him getting the chance to truly shine these days (even if it means we don’t always hear from him as often). He’s a great “kid” (he’s 28 or 29 now) who has remained humble and hungry throughout his journey, no matter what life has thrown his way, good or bad.

And now, having said all that, I am grateful and consider it a blessing that he counts me as a buddy and is still genuinely thrilled when he sees me (and my fellow cookie girls) show up either trackside or at his race shop holding a bag of homemade cookies that he knows are all his. It’s the little things in life that are the big things. Truly. [emoji170]

Back in day, great kid. Makes it sound like you think you're ancient. :sidesplit

• Like 1

Happy August!

Kids return to school tomorrow. Our enrollment has sky rocketed this week, as I'm sure many other districts' have as well. I learned today that the 2 fastest growing cities in my state are in our county, with the city I live in being #2. Fun

from http://forums.gottadeal.com/topic/332427-gottadeal-2021-black-friday-prize-club-thread/?p=1497588

It's been eleven years since I fired Comcast.  I've saved some money, but mostly I have simply enjoyed television -- which I love -- the way I want.

• Nine televisions and nine Echo Shows
  • 4K FireTV Stick on each television
  • Five TiVo Roamio OTA DVRs and two TiVo Minis
  • Four 55" 4K TCL Roku televisions (one for each bedroom).
  • Two SiliconDust HDHomeRuns
  • Recast DVR
  • Sling AirTV Anywhere DVR  
  • Plex server

I am a very lazy TV viewer.  I turn on a television in the morning when getting ready for work.  I turn one on when I am preparing dinner and cleaning up.  I fall asleep in front of one at the end of the day.  Mostly, I just channel surf until I find something interesting.  That's not hard these days.  If I cannot find something over the air, I switch to Pluto.  The thing is, I do not want to have to find a show or movie every 30 to 90 minutes.  That's too much work most of the time.  If I am actually going to sit down and watch television, I include the shows saved on my TiVos, Amazon Prime, and my Plex server.  Occasionally, I will watch a disc.  It's been years since I have done that.  I am a very lazy TV viewer. 

I rarely have time to sit down in front of a television, but I do have a special place to do that.  I am passively shopping for a tenth television for that place.  I'd like a 4K 75"+ LED for my living room.  Or, maybe, a projector.  Projectors are getting very good at reasonable price points and are easy to dispose of.  That room has a nice home theater, a six foot air hockey table, a legends ultimate arcade, and a couch.  It's my favorite room in the house.  The 1080p 60" plasma in this room is not very smart, but it's attached to a TiVo Mini and a 4K Fire TV stick.  I used to watch football in that room.  Not so much these days.

I have a 55" 4K TCL Roku TV in my bedroom.  That's where I watch most of my television.  I have two 3t TiVo Roamio OTA DVRs attached to that television harvesting great programming (Blue Bloods, Hill Street Blues, House, Hunter, JAG, Monk, Nash Bridges, NYPD Blue, Rizzoli & Isles, and The Closer) all day long.  When I get a chance to upgrade the other three Roamios, I will have 15TB of archived programming.  As long as TiVo's service is running, these programs will be available on any television with a Roamio or Mini in tow.  Even after TiVo quits, the shows will still be playable on a directly attached television.

There is a 32" LED on top of my refrigerator.  Most of the time I am in the kitchen, my back is to that set.  I have a 10" Echo Show on the counter between the sink and stove.  Besides maintaining my shopping list, answering my landline, acting as an intercom, converting measurements, playing music, and serving up recipes, the Echo Show plays over the air television via my Amazon Recast whole house DVR.  I have another 10" Echo Show on my desk which does all those things too.

Our family room television is probably second most used.  It's a 55" TCL Roku television.  Most of the time, my youngest son is planted in front of that TV with a game controller in his hands.  Just the same, I've attached a 4K Fire TV Stick for the occasions when I want television on while I am doing something in that room.  Last week, I watched the 'good guys at sunrise' on Heroes & Icons while I assembled a smoker.  Good times.

My sons' rooms each have a 55" TCL Roku TVs with 4K Fire TV Sticks attached.

One of the shortcomings of the Amazon Recast is that it is limited to two concurrent streams.  For the TCL TVs, I use the Fire TV Stick's Live Guide, but integrate the Sling AirTV Anywhere's over the air channels rather than the Recast's.  That gives me six concurrent streams in total.  Plenty even for my needs.  One of the Sling AirTV Anywhere's streams can be watched outside the home.  Nothing like a little live television when stuck in traffic.

Plex, at my house, is still experimental.  I have a Plex Pass so I can stream and record broadcast television.  If ATSC 3.0 ever happens, I can add an ATSC 3.0 HdHomeRun to add 4K programming to my guide.

With the Recast and Echo Shows, small screens are very portable.  When I sit out on trick or treat, I set an Echo Show on the bistro table next to the bowl or candy and a glass of merlot.  I can set one on a table next to my whirlpool.  I can watch TV on the deck while smoking or grilling.

I pay $50 per month for unlimited, uncapped, unthrottled high speed internet and $59 per year for Prime.  So, $55 per month for more entertainment than I can watch.

• Like 1

We put our house up for sale tonight. We about started crying when the sign went up.

We've got a house under contract that we are very excited about, so it'll all be good when it's done. But for now I'm terrified.

Congrats on the new house.
  • Like 1

Okay - so I realize that Friday is ... "Friday the 13th" - BUT I am having a WHOLE Week of Friday the 13ths! Hubby has a milestone birthday on Saturday - had pretty much everything on order for pickup from our local Walmart - they just closed because of a Covid outbreak! Grand-daughter's birthday is Sunday - her party had to be canceled because of Covid.  Hubby cut the tip of his finger just about OFF and can't go to the emergency room because they are FULL and there is a 12+ hour wait for even Covid people. Possible hurricane rolling in on Sunday night. Ordered $200+ items for my first order from Butcher Box as a gift of steaks and seafood for Hubby's birthday ... and the shipment (frozen food) that was to be delivered today is LOST! Think I am going to go to bed - pull the covers over my head - and NOT come out until this frigging month is OVER!!!

Okay - so I realize that Friday is ... "Friday the 13th" - BUT I am having a WHOLE Week of Friday the 13ths! Hubby has a milestone birthday on Saturday - had pretty much everything on order for pickup from our local Walmart - they just closed because of a Covid outbreak! Grand-daughter's birthday is Sunday - her party had to be canceled because of Covid.  Hubby cut the tip of his finger just about OFF and can't go to the emergency room because they are FULL and there is a 12+ hour wait for even Covid people. Possible hurricane rolling in on Sunday night. Ordered $200+ items for my first order from Butcher Box as a gift of steaks and seafood for Hubby's birthday ... and the shipment (frozen food) that was to be delivered today is LOST! Think I am going to go to bed - pull the covers over my head - and NOT come out until this frigging month is OVER!!

WOW magickallight, sorry to hear how everything is going for you. I hope things get better. 

• Like 1

Okay - so I realize that Friday is ... "Friday the 13th" - BUT I am having a WHOLE Week of Friday the 13ths! Hubby has a milestone birthday on Saturday - had pretty much everything on order for pickup from our local Walmart - they just closed because of a Covid outbreak! Grand-daughter's birthday is Sunday - her party had to be canceled because of Covid.  Hubby cut the tip of his finger just about OFF and can't go to the emergency room because they are FULL and there is a 12+ hour wait for even Covid people. Possible hurricane rolling in on Sunday night. Ordered $200+ items for my first order from Butcher Box as a gift of steaks and seafood for Hubby's birthday ... and the shipment (frozen food) that was to be delivered today is LOST! Think I am going to go to bed - pull the covers over my head - and NOT come out until this frigging month is OVER!!!

Wow not good. Have you tried one of the emergency care places for stitches?

I won't say at least it can't get any worse, I've come to realize when I say that it's sort like a hold by beer and watch this moment. :)

• Like 2

Oh No!  I’m so sorry all of this is happening to you.  Hospitals in Arkansas are in the same boat. Earlier this week it was reported by officials that there were only 8 ICU beds available for the entire state. My hospital had 42 COVID patients earlier this week in a 150-bed facility. We have had to move medical patients to our Rehab hospital to make room. It is so awful right now.  I’ve spent the last two mornings looking for jobs outside of a hospital.  Unfortunately they are few and far between for laboratory scientists in this area.  

I do hope your husband was finally able to get seen with his finger! 

• Like 1

(Hugs)

I am so sorry. Hope everything gets sorted out and gets better!!

Okay - so I realize that Friday is ... "Friday the 13th" - BUT I am having a WHOLE Week of Friday the 13ths! Hubby has a milestone birthday on Saturday - had pretty much everything on order for pickup from our local Walmart - they just closed because of a Covid outbreak! Grand-daughter's birthday is Sunday - her party had to be canceled because of Covid. Hubby cut the tip of his finger just about OFF and can't go to the emergency room because they are FULL and there is a 12+ hour wait for even Covid people. Possible hurricane rolling in on Sunday night. Ordered $200+ items for my first order from Butcher Box as a gift of steaks and seafood for Hubby's birthday ... and the shipment (frozen food) that was to be delivered today is LOST! Think I am going to go to bed - pull the covers over my head - and NOT come out until this frigging month is OVER!!!

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind words and support. :gdthankyou: We have been turned down by both Urgent Care and doctors because fingers are  difficult and they say we must go to the emergency room - which is NOT happening at this time - so we are doing our best to treat it ourselves (hubby's idea - NOT mine).  The Butcher box order finally arrived - everything was ruined and the smell was SO BAD. :( Live and learn, I guess. Now the replacement freezer we have been waiting for months on - as they can't get the part to fix the one that only lasted a month - that was supposed to be delivered today is not coming and I can't get anyone from GE to tell us why... UGGGGGGGGG!

Anyway...

20210812233112x250x250.jpg