Black Friday: Cash, Credit, Debit, Check?

Peppermint

I like the idea of paying with cash, however I get a little freaked out when I have to pull everything out and show everyone around me all the cash...lol.  Granted it looks like more since I only carry smaller bills, but I feel like I am going to get clobbered...lol.    But have to have some WHEN, not if, the card machines stall out and they create the CASH ONLY line :loli:

Credit.  I almost never pay with cash or debit (unless I'm at Aldi).  I even charge my montly bills.  I love the points and I pay them off each month, so I have never paid any interest.  It's so much safer than cash or debit.

My friend lost her cash purse last year in Kohls.  Had over 2000 in it. Fortunately it had her ID in it and an honest person turned it in. She got it the next day, but lost some deals she wanted.  Two years ago I ran up my Debit too high in the day, and got Frozen. I had plenty of cash... had to call my bank, fortunately wifey and I have two accounts so it didn't stop us.  So, now, I say carry both or all : )

• Like 2

I receive child support on a debit card so I try to save funds from October-November to make sure I am able to splurge on gifts for my 15 yr old son during BF...I carry cash (because the registers crash sometimes) and another debit card in stores...i shop online as well using debit cards...

Is anyone reconsidering using credit or debit if you have the chip on your card, since it will take longer and you have to leave your card in the machine to finish your transaction?

Several of my cards have already switched over to chip and in my experience it's not much longer than when I had to swipe. I will always use credit for the most part. Cash if lost or stolen is gone, debit is attached to my bank accounts so that will be a hassle but if a credit account is compromised I'm out of nothing but the time it takes to call the bank...

Is anyone reconsidering using credit or debit if you have the chip on your card, since it will take longer and you have to leave your card in the machine to finish your transaction?

I am glad they are adding the chips for improved security.  I have not found that it takes much longer.  I have also never seen credit card systems go down at any store I was in on Black Friday (or most any other time).  Cash definitely takes longer for both customer and cashier and is much riskier than using credit cards.

I'll be doing debit card and Paypal. Debit card because my bank offers rewards for certain stores that you shop at. Paypal because I shop on there a lot and as you know, it takes a while sometimes for the funds to transfer to your account.

I earn points/gift cards/paypal money from various apps throughout the year so most of my online shopping (Amazon, etc.) is paid for with that and in store is either store gift cards, cash or prepaid American Express bluebird card (where I have loaded "savings" money all year). That way I do not impulse buy more than I can afford!
  • Like 1

I use am combination of cash, debit, and credit depending on whether I'm shopping in store or online. I use the Target card to shop online for target because it offers 5% off and free shipping then pay it off as soon at it posts. I will use debit mostly as I prefer to shop mostly online, and then cash for any in store purchases.

I do whatever makes sense at that particular store.  I have gift cards from Walmart so I'll use those.  Kohl's usually gets a chunk of my money but I always use my card with them to get the most out of savings.  Of course I pay it back right away.  I use my debit with Amazon.  Those are my big three black Friday spots.  If I get anything at Sears I use my Sears card because I usually have points and I always like to earn and use them.