Do you gift the mailman a "gift"

Mom2Ciara&Keagan

I'm going to give my postman something this year. We have a p.o. box, but he is very helpful. He'll take packages to the car for me if they're too heavy, he gives the kids a Christmas bag of treats every year, sets up a Santa Claus day for the kids and is very nice. He completely deserves something. I'm just sorry I never knew to do this before.

I always give the mailman a little something. Usually $10 in a card with a little ornament or something taped to it. We have a great mailman, he comes up our driveway to deliver packages, even in the winter, which is not an easy task with our driveway. He's worth much more, but $10 is about all I can do around this time of year.

I would never give my mail lady anything. She is terrible. I have had many packages that she was supposed to pick up that she didn't pick up. And she has left my mailbox open too many times to count. I'm glad that there are some people who have good mail people. I wish I had a good one.

A friend of mine says she leaves her mailman a small monetary gift and a card for Christmas, especially since he's delivers so many boxes to her. I've never thought about doing this before.. Does anyone else do it?

First I just HAVE to say your kiddies are Beautiful ! Looks like you're going to have your hands full when they get older. ROFL They are cuties!

I have no idea what to do either! Since late Summer we've had many many different mail-people. I dont' know what to do. Anyone have a suggestion for that?

As a former letter carrier (thats what the "mailman is really called in these pc times) married to a current letter carrier, tips are nice.........candy, gift certificates, small things. Just make sure it gets to your regular carrier and not a fill in person, sometimes the fill ins don't give it to the regular. You are always welcome to call the postal station that your mail is delivered from and request the name of your carrier. If your carrier does a good job, let someone know................believe me the post office isn't really good at letting these guys and gals know that they are appreciated.

If your home when your letter carrier comes around..........a nice hot cup of coffee or a soft drink is a wonderful treat, they will appreciate it greatly.

We love our mailman! He's pretty young and always has his cd/mp3 player glued to his head! So every year we give him a $25 bestBuy gift card....I also try to catch him on the really long days before Dec 24th & give him a cuppa coffee ! I can tell it's been a long day if my mail isn't in my box by11:30 am!

Isn't that technically mail fraud? If you put something in your mailbox and it arrives to the recipient without any postage? I remember hearing something about a mailman who lost his job because he put Christmas cards in everyone's mailbox on his route without stamps. I don't know if it works the other way around. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing for which you should get into trouble...

-Mark-

As a former letter carrier (thats what the "mailman is really called in these pc times) married to a current letter carrier, tips are nice.........candy, gift certificates, small things. Just make sure it gets to your regular carrier and not a fill in person, sometimes the fill ins don't give it to the regular. You are always welcome to call the postal station that your mail is delivered from and request the name of your carrier. If your carrier does a good job, let someone know................believe me the post office isn't really good at letting these guys and gals know that they are appreciated.

If your home when your letter carrier comes around..........a nice hot cup of coffee or a soft drink is a wonderful treat, they will appreciate it greatly.

~to answer someone's question YES this is basically mail fraud. My MIL is the postmaster and she has told me many times that the carrier can be fired for recieving ANY type of monetary gift while on thier route. Any postal worker that thinks so is wrong. If you feel that you want to "give" your carrier a gift send them a card or maybe stop them while en route and give them some cookies, this is an ok way to show your appreciation. But Money and gift cards are a BIG NoNo. But I do agree with the calling the PO this is always a good thing if your carrier does you right put in a good word it helps more than you will know.

According to postal regulations, mail carriers are not allowed to accept money at all, but can accept other types of gifts up to a $20 value. Gift cards were the same as money, but they suggested things like small personal gifts or cookies, etc. Although I would hate to give someone cookies when I don't know if they are on a diet or diabetic or something.

I gave the UPS guy a restaurant gift card last year and will do the same this year. He goes way out of his way to make sure our packages are safe from the weather. He actually comes around the back of the house and puts them by the back door on our screened in back porch.

Guest Deals4Me

hell no over here...

the witch puts to big of packages in the box below the mail stations... you know those big multiple boxes together? AND then I cant turn the key...

OR she put the REALLY REALLY big boxes on my porch in a puddle.

I'd like to put something out for her, but it aint no giftcard...

We have a PO box the. It a small Village we live in and the lady that ran it for years left (retired) we got another wonderful lady in but she was working at the PO helping run the farm and also trying to work . So she left we got another person. She gets there late then the other ladys have to take a 4 hour break then leaves early. We are lucky to get the mail. There is no way I am giving her anything.

I worked for the USPS last year during this time as a rural carrier. It's nice to be remembered during the holidays :) especially since things are extra crazy at the post office this time of year. I am going to give my carrier a card and a big batch of homemade cookies.

In the past, I've never known my mailman because I never saw them, But one day I was working outside and mine pulled up and said Hello and called me by my first name! He is very sweet.............One day I was waiting for a package......passed him in the truck and thought about asking him if I had a package, then thought oh how would he remember (he was one street over), just waved and went by............well my daughter called and said I had a package but required a signature and that the mailman left a note apologizing for not stopping me to let me know and left his cell number to call him, for he would be delivering that day till 3:30!!!!!!! HE could have just delivered it on Monday. I was so excited, I called him back to ask if my daughter could sign for it, and he brought it back after his route...........He is awesome ALL year, so he will definitly be getting a well deserved Bonus!!!!!!!!!!!!