so what is on your menu for x mas dinner

mommie75

:hungry: We are having my husbands side over on the 17th for christmas! We usually do a bunch of appetizers and cookies etc we might do sloppy joes in the crock pot! Then on christmas my side will be at my house and we do a big dinner , I think we are going to try prime rib this year! I have never cooked one of those, party potatoes, salad with homemade blue cheese, some type of garlic bread, and not sure yet what for dessert! I can't wait to cook!!! I think on christmas eve we will do soup and snacks! Thank you for starting this post!!

:g_dance: x mas eve we got to me dad's he never does a real meal does munchies.. he does not like ot do the whole meal thing,, last year he made manicotti.. we go to my grandmas couple weeks before and have a meal.. she does ham,, and same old stuff can even remeber,, lol

we are making a ham or getting a honey baked if mom and hubby have there way...but man they cost alot.. more than the rest of the meal...:razz: :razz:

so i was looking for something differnt than same old green beans,corn,mash tatos,rolls,cranberried,and stuffing two weekends in a row... do one one weekend and another the other weekend...:splat: :splat:

just seems boring doing same thing two weekends in row

last year we did not do x mas here we did not have it at all mom was to sick for us to come and we did a new years party with friends i just did munchies i got home late from work most people were drunk before i even got home to make anything..

thanks for the good ideas hopefully more to come ..

I was born and raised in Poland so here is my American and Polish Christmas Eve:

-Mushroom, Sauerkraut, and Barley Soup

-Pierogi with mushrooms and sauerkraut

-Various salads

-etc.

Christmas Morning (More Americanized):

-Ham

-Turkey or duck

-Potato salad (a must)

-the like

Christmas Eve - my mom's family (aunts, uncles, cousins)(around 40 people) all come to our house and we have munchies and desserts.

Christmas Day - my parents,my 2 brothers, my sister-in-law, niece and nephews( if they not at their mom's), my dad's brother and his wife and my cousin's two sons come for dinner. We have the same as Thanksgiving. Turkey and all the trimmings.

This year has been really ruff as my Grandfather (my mom's dad) pasted away in July and my cousin (we were very close)was killed in a car accident in March. This first holiday season without them is already depressing, but we'll make it thru as we all know that's what they would want us to do.

I always make a ham and slice it up - keep it in the warmer. We have ham and ham sandwiches, cheese tray, veggie tray, cookies, candies...not sure what else this year or if we'll have a sit down meal. We have a small home and with Christmas and new toys, etc, it's so hard to keep the kids happy for that long :giggle:

my mom's family is polish so we do our traditional polish meal for christmas eve:

fish (cod, flounder, scallops, shrimp)

boiled potatoes

barley with peas & something

asst veggies

babka

then your standard american thanksgiving/christmas fare the next day with my dad's family

Awesome. :) Yes, I totally forgot about the fish on Christmas Eve, lots of fish, baked catfish and herring in vinegar. Of course you gotta have the babka. :woot2:

Christmas Eve:

Spaghetti with tuna red sauce

Shrimp with cocktail sauce

Fried apples and cauliflower

Calamari

Pasta with shrimp

Anise

Baked cod

I can't remember what else - but it's the Itallian seven fishes Christmas Eve with a few fishes missing. :P

I have always wanted to attend a La Vigilia feast. But being Jewish, and not knowing any Italians who do this has thwarted any invites.

We get together with my FIL, who is not Jewish, and celebrate a secular Chr-stmas. So far my menu for a mid-afternoon dinner (got to get to Universal City Walk in orlando by 6:00 PM for their huge Universal Chanukkah celebration) includes:

Deviled Eggs

Turkey Matzah Ball Soup

Field Greens Salad

Standing Rib Roast a la Tyler Florence

au Jus (sp?)

Yorkshire Pudding

Corn Pudding

Broccoli-Artichoke Casserole

Southern-style Green Beans (no squeekers here, and Paul had his Green Bean Casserole for Thanksgiving)

Sweet Potato Casserole (yes, with the marshmallows)

Crockpot Stuffing

Mashed Potatoes

Coconut Layer Cake with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting

:hungry: We are having my husbands side over on the 17th for christmas! We usually do a bunch of appetizers and cookies etc we might do sloppy joes in the crock pot! Then on christmas my side will be at my house and we do a big dinner , I think we are going to try prime rib this year! I have never cooked one of those, party potatoes, salad with homemade blue cheese, some type of garlic bread, and not sure yet what for dessert! I can't wait to cook!!! I think on christmas eve we will do soup and snacks! Thank you for starting this post!!

The zoupa toscano from olive garden is great - we will probably be doing that. Found a copykat recipe.

Whole Prime Rib

jumbo shrimp (either chilled with a cocktail sauce or a shrimp alfredo -- probably both this year).

Green bean casserole

mashed potatos

rolls

Maybe a turkey this year (have one left from Thanksgiving).

Lots of baked stuff -- cookies, cookies, and more cookies -- with brownies, mint bars, pecan tarts, mini pumpkin pies.

and probably homemade cinnamon rolls fresh from the oven on Christmas morning.

Man -- Now I'm hungry!!! ;)

Same as Thanksgiving:

Ham

Turkey

Turkey Gravy

Mashed Potatoes

Stuffing

Corn

Green Bean Casserole

Cheese, deer meat and Crackers

Veggies and dip

Spinach dip with hawaiian bread

Rolls

Pumpkin Pie

Apple Pie

Sugar Cream Pie

Cherry Delight

Strawberry Delight

Christmas candy and cookies

I was just wondering what Cherry and Strawberry delight is. Sounds yummy. Mmmm... strawberry craving... Mmmm...

I was born and raised in Poland so here is my American and Polish Christmas Eve:

-Mushroom, Sauerkraut, and Barley Soup

-Pierogi with mushrooms and sauerkraut

-Various salads

-etc.

Christmas Morning (More Americanized):

-Ham

-Turkey or duck

-Potato salad (a must)

-the like

Since you are Polish, do you do the unlevined bread thing? My hubbys Grandfather was polish, and they have a tradition where you touch 2 pieces together, amke a wish for the other person, then break the bread. Keep doing that with everyone. I had never heard of that until Christmas dinner with his mom.

Since you are Polish, do you do the unlevined bread thing? My hubbys Grandfather was polish, and they have a tradition where you touch 2 pieces together, amke a wish for the other person, then break the bread. Keep doing that with everyone. I had never heard of that until Christmas dinner with his mom.

YES! Yes, we do that every year. We use "Christmas wafers."