How's your Walmart laptop holding up?

rockets34life

I took mine back because some of the keys didn't work.

So i went to the walmart where i bought it and they exchanged it for a Toshiba since it was the only one they had left after the busy weekend!!!

I am very happy with the Toshiba!!

I love mine. I gave up my desktop which was my plan all along. My battery lasts a little over 2 hours, no heat problems. Already ordered more memory which is the only thing it needs. I got the extended warranty from Wal-Mart so I am all set for 3 years. No dead or stuck pixels. I did my homework before I bought my laptop and knew I wanted a sempron or turion processor with the amd chipset so when I found out this was going to be $399 and then $378 I knew I had found my laptop.

Finally sat down with mine on Monday, and mine is working great! I love it, have only used my desktop to transfer personal files. Now we each have our own puter and I don't have to worry about getting my homework done before my stepdaughter goes to bed (as the desktops are in her room for now).

There is a user manual on the hard drive if you need it, or you can download it.

The extended warranty was $68 and adds an additional 2 years to the included 1 year. It actually is a good warranty from what I understand.

I heard some really fantastic things about HP's warranty. Remember when HP sold HP branded iPods? Many people clamored to get those instead of the originals just to take advantage of HP's warranty. And $68 for 2 years? That's good. I usually don't recommened extended warranities for desktops, but for laptops it's basically a must.

There is a user manual on the hard drive if you need it, or you can download it.

The extended warranty was $68 and adds an additional 2 years to the included 1 year. It actually is a good warranty from what I understand.

$68 for an additional 2 years is awesome in my opinion. I think the last extended warranty I purchased for 2 additional years was just under $200.

So, it's been said many places that Wal-Mart buys the inferior lines from name brand electronics companies.

For example, if Intel tests a batch of computer processors that grade out low on their scale, they'll still put them in computers, computers that they in turn sell for a cheaper price to Wal-Mart, while Best-Buy etc. get the computers with the best graded processors.

Apparently chip manufacturers do the exact same thing with Wal-Mart, that's why many people won't touch electronics from Wal-Mart.

I love mine. I gave up my desktop which was my plan all along. My battery lasts a little over 2 hours, no heat problems. Already ordered more memory which is the only thing it needs. I got the extended warranty from Wal-Mart so I am all set for 3 years. No dead or stuck pixels. I did my homework before I bought my laptop and knew I wanted a sempron or turion processor with the amd chipset so when I found out this was going to be $399 and then $378 I knew I had found my laptop.

Where can I get more memory and how do I find out about the extended warrenty I would like to get both :gd_twocen

For example, if Intel tests a batch of computer processors that grade out low on their scale, they'll still put them in computers, computers that they in turn sell for a cheaper price to Wal-Mart, while Best-Buy etc. get the computers with the best graded processors. Apparently chip manufacturers do the exact same thing with Wal-Mart, that's why many people won't touch electronics from Wal-Mart.

I must have gotten lucky and gotten one of the rare good ones at walmart (according to your theories, anyway) because my laptop performs pretty much to the same standards as my desktop with its AMD 2.16 ghz processor. I haven't had a single problem with it, and the only change i'm going to make is to upgrade the memory so I can play my two games in between classes. BTW, any ideas out there which is the best memory? I found a stick of Crucial 512mb pc2700 for $45. Is this brand any good? The only thing I've used in my desktops is Kingston.

Hmm....no idea where the breakdown idea would come in. Oh well...mine is working great, as well as my IBM Thinkpad did...(til it DID accidently get dropped and that was that..a hard crash..not a light ding either).

My only regret is I didnt have my 17 yr old get a ticket for a second for my mother for Christmas.

I must have gotten lucky and gotten one of the rare good ones at walmart (according to your theories, anyway) because my laptop performs pretty much to the same standards as my desktop with its AMD 2.16 ghz processor. I haven't had a single problem with it, and the only change i'm going to make is to upgrade the memory so I can play my two games in between classes. BTW, any ideas out there which is the best memory? I found a stick of Crucial 512mb pc2700 for $45. Is this brand any good? The only thing I've used in my desktops is Kingston.

I have bought so many of the Wal-Mart special computers, I can't count....I think ten over the years, and I can say that I have not had any more problems with them than I have had with the other ones that I bought at a premium price. With computer prices going into the toilet as fast as they do, if you are a casual computer user or are letting your kids use the computer for their homework, for goodness sake, go to Wal-Mart and grab one off the shelf. That is what I have done for years, and will continue to do. I will say that my last laptop is from Best Buy and I spent a pretty penny for it because I had a more advance purpose for it, but for the casual user, I strongly recommend going with the Wal-Mart special computer. There is no sense in toiling over spending $1500 on a computer. You won't use 80% of the memory anyway unless you take up 100,000 pictures or play video games for the rest of your life. You should be just fine, and if you are not, Wal-Mart has always been just fine with any problems we have ever had. Out of all of the computers and all of the printers we have ever purchased for my kids, grandparents, parents, etc. we have never had a problem returning the few issues we have had. Have fun guys! Enjoy sitting on the couch computing...it gets addictive!

Where can I get more memory and how do I find out about the extended warrenty I would like to get both :gd_twocen

I believe that you can still purchase the extended warranty from Wal-Mart as long as the item is still under the manuf. warranty but I am not positive about that. As far as memory goes this laptop takes a 200 pin SODIMM 2700 memory stick. Any brand should be fine as I am sure no one will be overclocking a laptop. I picked one up on ebay for about $9, it was a new chip from a Toshiba laptop that was pulled for an upgrade. If you are leary or ebay just go to crucial.com or kingston.com they sell excellent memory and will guarantee compatibility.

Those aren't MY theories. Those are what people in the business have said. And I didn't say anywhere in that post that the computers were destined to fail, only that Wal-Mart often buys the electronics with the less than highest quality parts inside. Any I doubt all manufacturers by the sub-standard components anyway. Does that mean that your laptop with a processor that graded out in the 85% range is going to breakdown, no.

And Wal-Mart apparently does this with other product lines as well. Another board I frequent had a post from a guy who purchased a fishing reel because it was much cheaper at Wal-Mart than other places. He buys it, opens up the box and out falls a piece of paper that reads, "Manufactured for Wal-Mart." He opens up the reel and it's got plastic gears instead of metal gears. This isn't some internet rumor, I've posted with the guy for over 5 years. If they do it with reels, what else do they skimp on?

I'm not a Wal-Mart hater, I just went there today, but I am very leery about what I buy there considering what I've read. I'm glad your computers are perfect, they should be, but I thought it was worth mentioning. I don't care if you keep buying their electronics.

I believe that you can still purchase the extended warranty from Wal-Mart as long as the item is still under the manuf. warranty but I am not positive about that. As far as memory goes this laptop takes a 200 pin SODIMM 2700 memory stick. Any brand should be fine as I am sure no one will be overclocking a laptop. I picked one up on ebay for about $9, it was a new chip from a Toshiba laptop that was pulled for an upgrade. If you are leary or ebay just go to crucial.com or kingston.com they sell excellent memory and will guarantee compatibility.

Thank you so much I will look into it on Monday

Those aren't MY theories. Those are what people in the business have said. And I didn't say anywhere in that post that the computers were destined to fail, only that Wal-Mart often buys the electronics with the less than highest quality parts inside. Any I doubt all manufacturers by the sub-standard components anyway. Does that mean that your laptop with a processor that graded out in the 85% range is going to breakdown, no.

And Wal-Mart apparently does this with other product lines as well. Another board I frequent had a post from a guy who purchased a fishing reel because it was much cheaper at Wal-Mart than other places. He buys it, opens up the box and out falls a piece of paper that reads, "Manufactured for Wal-Mart." He opens up the reel and it's got plastic gears instead of metal gears. This isn't some internet rumor, I've posted with the guy for over 5 years. If they do it with reels, what else do they skimp on?

I'm not a Wal-Mart hater, I just went there today, but I am very leery about what I buy there considering what I've read. I'm glad your computers are perfect, they should be, but I thought it was worth mentioning. I don't care if you keep buying their electronics.

You don't go to the Kia dealership to buy a Cadillac!

BTW, any ideas out there which is the best memory? I found a stick of Crucial 512mb pc2700 for $45. Is this brand any good? The only thing I've used in my desktops is Kingston.

this is what i purchased over the weekend:

link to the website

newegg.com. it was 2 512mb sticks of corsair value select pc2700 for 87.14. i choose the 7.40 shipping for a total of 94.54. now, i am not certain, as i paid with my preferred account, but i was offered a free year of pc magazine with this offer. i delcined, but was able to apply for a reabte of equal value (19.77). so that would pretty much be the ram shipped for 75.00 after all is said and done. however, i as i said earlier, i not sure if everyone is able to get the magazine/rebate offer. it did not appear until the screen to submit my order came up. there was no mention of it that i could see. i have always used corsair brands, although for my desktop i use the premium brands as i overclock. they have never given me any problem and they have a lifetime warranty directly through them.

good luck.

this is what i purchased over the weekend:

link to the website

newegg.com. it was 2 512mb sticks of corsair value select pc2700 for 87.14. i choose the 7.40 shipping for a total of 94.54. now, i am not certain, as i paid with my preferred account, but i was offered a free year of pc magazine with this offer. i delcined, but was able to apply for a reabte of equal value (19.77). so that would pretty much be the ram shipped for 75.00 after all is said and done. however, i as i said earlier, i not sure if everyone is able to get the magazine/rebate offer. it did not appear until the screen to submit my order came up. there was no mention of it that i could see. i have always used corsair brands, although for my desktop i use the premium brands as i overclock. they have never given me any problem and they have a lifetime warranty directly through them.

good luck.

If you don't mind, once you get it could you let me know how it's working. I'm looking for something, but wont' have the money for a week or so since I spend so much on BF.

Mostly the theory from the guys who work at Best Buy and others. If you haven't noticed there is an orchestrated effort to destroy Wal Mart. If you can't match their prices the best thing to do is to destroy consumer confidence. They have been trying for years to get the employees to unionize but they can't stand the fact that the Wal Mart employees are generally happy with working there. Makes the Union leaders madder than the 16th person in that laptop line.

If you buy a bad HP laptop you are not going to take it out on Wal Mart. You are going to take it out on HP. HP does deal in B grade materials like you mentioned. A common place to find these are places like Ebay, Computer Geeks, Ubid. They have had the brand name removed but you can see they are an HP. Hp is not going to risk losing a lifetime customer to Dell by selling defective merchandise.

I have been a tech and a systems integrator for a lot of years. The first thirty days for a computer are the worst. We call that infant mortality. If you get through that you should do just great with it as long as you take care of it. Be consious of the following:

HEAT KILLS, buy a laptop cooler. (or a piece of unpainted aluminum) Do not block the output air venting ports. A lot of heat is generated by charging the battery. If you are going to leave it plugged in, take the battery out.

You can buy the extended warranty through HP. If you register the machine they will send you an email when your warranty is to run out and will give you one last chance to get the extended warranty. But you don't have to wait.

The extended Warranty does not cover the screen, or damage from a drop. This is called accident protection and costs a lot more.

Check you homeowners insurance they usually have a computer rider that covers those but you can probably only get away with using it once.

The $400 laptops are just not that powerful. They are designed for the web surfer who doesn't do any 3D stuff. (This actually describes about 40% of the market)

But Walmart is not the only place to find them.

You are either:

A) Full of crap

or

B) Seriously mis-informed

I co-own a small computer repair shop and I can guarantee you that what you are saying is not true.