Customer buys $1300 computer from BB and discovers WOOD inside the box

RossMAN

a few months ago my mom bought a really nice digital camera from Compusa. It was a kodak camera with that was suppose to come with the dock. Camera, power cords, cable, cds , manual all there, but NO DOCK. I was pissed. We took it back and they admit it might have been the store display box. She decided to upgrade to the 5mp camera with doc and they gave her 50 dollar credit off the camera as a sorry for the trouble. After all that we saved about 100 bucks!

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2005/10/06/news/top_news/c4fb0fe99248647386257092000509a4.txt

"Anything is possible, but we do offer a service of having it looked at when you buy it and he didn't take advantage of it," Hammond said. He referred any other questions to corporate public relations.

I'm sure this may be a matter of policy as this Hammond guy said, but are we to believe that every BB employee follows procedures like this, especially on Black Friday?!?!? Not likely.

Did anyone who braved BB on BF get asked about having their item looked at before they left the store?

When the store is empty, they like to explain all their tiers of extended warranty service, credit card offers, etc. On Black Friday (or even when there is a considerable line any other time of the year), this just doesn't happen. I suspect the viewing of the merchandise would work the same way.

Wow! That's nuts and I would have been livid if it were me! :mad: BUT....I used to work for Home Depot at the returns desk and you would not believe what people would try to return! There are alot of scam artists out there who'll go to great lengths to get something for nothing.

Guest unicron
I had to return a DVD recorder to Best Buy yesterday, and they didn't even bother opening the package and I didn't have to fill out any forms. I just got my cash back.

This just happened to me at Sears last week. I bought the Canon 410 and went to customer pickup to receive it. Thank goodness the receiving clerk decided to check the box when he brought it out because there was no camera in it! I don't know if I would have looked before I wrapped it. The computer said they had 3 cameras but they ended up having none so after a 1/2 hour of going back and forth they had to order one for me. I will be checking all boxes before leaving a store now!

Where are these stores that don't check over returns? I've never been to one around here. I've never seen a Best Buy not check over a returned item. I did see a Wal-Mart once accept some muddy boots. I was astounded the store allowed the lady to return the mens boots (no box, no UPC, no receipt, just muddy boots).

I bought a CD once at Best Buy. The only problem... when I got out to the car and opened it there was no CD inside the jewel box. I ran back into the store and luckily Best Buy let me get a new CD. They gave me a puzzeled look however. I guess it is very rare for the factory to forget to include the CD in the case. It's really hard to see through the packaging on the side of the jewel case, but I check every time now.

I thought Id share 2 of my scam stories at the store I work at. AN elderly lady approaches me at the register with a bottle of drain cleaner. Policy states that returns are not accepted after 30days. She kept the recipt which was dated March 2003, and she was trying to return it around the middle of July 2003. Ok sometimes Ill break the rules and return things that are past 30 days, but when I picked up the bottle, it was half empty (or half full if u want)!!! I kindly told her I can't return a 1/2 bottle of drain cleaner. She was so persistent that it was full, and wanted her money back now. I even tried to show her it was 1/2 empty, thinking maybe she grabbed the wrong one or something. I called the manager over, and she starts arguing with him claiming this bottle is full. Finally she walks out leaves the bottle at the register. It was funny cause the customers behind her all were lauginhg and were all picking up the bottle and looking at it.

The 2nd story is when I worked at a grocery store, and someone purchased a leg of lamb. They kept the receipt and complained that it was very very tough meat. Once the manager reviewed the meat, and the receipt he noticed that the receipt was over 4yrs old! She insisted that she bought it the day before. Well she must have known she was caught in a lie as she said, I'll just buy another one and I'll try this one. To this date a person who works there still has not seen her.

Retail, there are days its the greatest job, or there are days you wonder why am I doing this? Full moon days are the worst!

DON

I would never have believed this sort of thing actually happens if I didn't read it here. People that return used junk,

I was co mgr of a million dollar plus womens store and you wouldnt believe the things people try to return like the worn prom dress w/ very prominent deoderant stains and a cigarette burn in the rear area....lady says to me...but my daughter never got to wear it her boyfriend broke up w/ her 2 days before the prom....me- ok then so what are these stains under the arms...her- it must have been like that when we bought it me- and the cigarette burn? her- thats not what that is

me- im sorry but i cannot take a return that isnt in sellable condition if the damage isnt a fault of the manufacturer etc....

her- are you saying im a liar?

ive seen it all people who got mad they werent allowed x items in dressing room pulling mirrors down, using dressing rooms like they were restrooms/diaper genies

i appreciate every time i go shopping that im no longer working...lol

Sorry if old thread but this happen to me too!! but i didnt find out till 3 years later when i got computre smart.. I payed almost 200 for graphics card to be put in my tower and I found out (looked in tower)it wasnt a nvidia is was supposed to be

I had the same thing happen with a Video card. ; (

Someone swapped it with a really old one.

I had to call the BBB because they would not believe me.

I open all high ticket items in the store now : )

At Walmart on BF this year -- the lady working the cash register insisted that I open the digital camera box that I had bought for my son. She said it felt to light, like nothing was in there. It turned out ok because the camera was there (with all the components). I never would have thought about doing this if she had not suggested it. I guess now I will always check.

About a year and half ago I was at Target and saw a remote control toddler car marked way down so I grabbed it. Got to the check-out and it rang up wrong. They refused to give it to me at the marked price. So I went to customer service to complain and they accused me of switching price tags and being a thief. That pissed me off. Thankfully my husband was pissed too when I told him. He called and threw a fit and made the manager call and apologize to me and then they sent me a $20 gift card. The stupid car was only $10.

Once i was at a Champs sports, and i tried a pair of nikes. The pair i tried on was dirty so i ask for another identical pair and the guy gives me the box with the new pair. i give a look over in the box, there was two shoes so i gladly paid and left. When it came time for me to wear later that day, i realized their was a major defect in the box, there was two left shoe in the box! I was livid and demanded a refund, which they said they couldn't give, because it was a sale item, but i argued, how many shoe did they sell that had 2 left shoe? The manager came to me and told me she exchange for a pair that had equal value so i ended up with a pair of Sketchers. Needless to say, i will check EVERYTHING i buy now!

I remember when I worked in the ladies department at the px a few years ago, I would see all kinds of strange things. Sometimes you would speak to the manager and they wouldn't listen. Before things got strict, people would return clothing to the px that they bought from Walmart or Family Dollar. Somehow they would attach the px tag or say they pulled the tag before trying it on. That was also long ago when you'd receive cash for a return. People would return things that had been worn or washed and want their money back. If there was a defect, I really understand but to want yor money back after you've worn it and you realized that it was too expensive is crazy.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Deals4Me

My brothers bought my dad and stepmom a Sony digital camera for Christmas at WalMart last year. When they returned home they realized Wal-Mart sold them an empty box. Luckily they raised such a stink and were able to convince the store that they sold the box to the display model. They got a refund and went to a different Wal-Mart to buy a box that actually contained a camera. They got lucky! In this day and age I am surprised the store believed them.

Wasnt the box kinda light?

I work in the nursery of our church and they purchased about 4 new baby swings for the nursery from Walmart. They asked my DH to put them together and when he opened one of the boxes it was an old wind up swing. You know the kind where the baby finally falls asleep and you go to wind the swing back up and it scares the bedjesials out of the baby? This was supposed to be a brand new battery operated swing. People!

one time a while back when i worked at walmart a customer returned a 6' tall gun cabinet in the box. they wheeled it in and sat it by cust. service desk. they never checked the box till the customer was refunded cash and gone. the box was empty but they were good at acting like it was heavy :smart::g_doh: :g_doh:

I had a friend a few years ago who bought a new HP CD Burner back when they first came on the market and cost over $300.00! The one he grabbed happened to be the last one they had on the shelf. When he got home, he opened the package and inside was no CD burner but instead a glass bottle full of water in its place. He immediately went back to the store and they checked their computer and verified that it had been previously returned and had the previous customer info on file. The store contacted police and charged the previous customer with theft. My friend recieved a full refund since they did not have another in stock and went to buy another at a different store. Since then he always opens his packages at the store before he leaves.

He immediately went back to the store and they checked their computer and verified that it had been previously returned and had the previous customer info on file. The store contacted police and charged the previous customer with theft.

Will never make it past the DA... chain of custody on the evidence wasn't followed. IF the police arrested the man, there's a good chance he'd be getting a LARGE settlement from the wrongful arrest.

Will never make it past the DA... chain of custody on the evidence wasn't followed. IF the police arrested the man, there's a good chance he'd be getting a LARGE settlement from the wrongful arrest.

Not sure what ever happened as an end result to the other guy (this was a long time ago), but the fact that they called the police on him, and gave my friend his money back, was a good thing.