Favorite Holiday Dish

drmy91

I always have to fight with my family on deciding what dish they want me to make. I am making my hashbrown casserole, sweet potato crunch and green bean casserole. Is there something someone in your family makes that you cant live without?

I always have to fight with my family on deciding what dish they want me to make. I am making my hashbrown casserole, sweet potato crunch and green bean casserole. Is there something someone in your family makes that you cant live without?

I HATE green bean casserole. I think I am the only person in the world that does. On the other hand LOVE hashbrown casserole...would you mind sharing that recipe?

I HATE green bean casserole. I think I am the only person in the world that does. On the other hand LOVE hashbrown casserole...would you mind sharing that recipe?

:bounce_fl No, you are not the only one. I hate green bean casserole and have banned it from being served in my house on holidays. Not only do I not like the taste but I get so sick of seeing all of those recipes that are IDENTICAL showing up on every magazine rack, every food container, and all through the store close to the holidays. Oops! Sorry, didn't mean to rant, lol. Just don't like it.:gd_devild

Nope, you're not the only one that hates it. I see it in the ads every year and just looking at it makes me gag.

Scalloped corn is a BIG thing that my family always ask's me to make. It is quite easy this is how you make it.....

for a large family:

PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees -

(1) 3 can's of Sweet Kernel Corn

(2) 3 can's of Creme Corn

(3) 1 1/2 of cut up Velveta (brick) cheese (cut in small pieces)

(4) 1 cup of milk

(5) Crumble "allmost" to a powdered look of Saltine Crackers , approx. half of a bag.(or use a rolling pin)

(6) Mix "all" ingriedents well & put in a oven proof dish & put in oven till cheese is melted or for 15 minutes.

AND....WhaLa.... there is a very tasty dish that Im sure the whole family will love, I know that mine does anyway. It is an old recipe from my grandmother.

Scalloped corn is a BIG thing that my family always ask's me to make. It is quite easy this is how you make it.....

for a large family:

PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees -

(1) 3 can's of Sweet Kernel Corn

(2) 3 can's of Creme Corn

(3) 1 1/2 of cut up Velveta (brick) cheese (cut in small pieces)

(4) 1 cup of milk

(5) Crumble "allmost" to a powdered look of Saltine Crackers , approx. half of a bag.(or use a rolling pin)

(6) Mix "all" ingriedents well & put in a oven proof dish & put in oven till cheese is melted or for 15 minutes.

AND....WhaLa.... there is a very tasty dish that Im sure the whole family will love, I know that mine does anyway. It is an old recipe from my grandmother.

Thanks, that sounds really good and my gang will eat anything with cheese in it.lol:greenappl

Sure...

2 lbs hashbrowns regular or southern

1 small onion finely chopped

1-2 lbs of shredded cheese( depends on how cheesy you want them)

1 can Cream of Mushroom

1 (16oz) sour cream

Salt/Pepper to taste

1/2 cup dry bread crumbs

1 stick of magarine

Combine potatoes with onion and chese. Mix together soup and sour cream. Add to the potato mixture. Stir very well. Put it into a greased 9x11 dish. Dot with Margarine cut into squares. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and bake uncovered at 350 for an hour- 1 1/2 hrs.

Let me know how it turns out. I sometimes put leftover ham into it as well.

Anyone have a recipe for strawberry pretzel dessert? Ex mom n law used to make it every year. How about puffy tacos?(Made w/ a biscuit I believe) Ex hubbys aunt made those for New Years.

Strawberry Pretzel Dessert

Ingredients

2 cups crushed pretzels

3 tablespoons sugar

3/4 cup softened butter

8 ounces cream cheese

1 cup sugar

1 cup whipped topping (see note)

2 heaping cups sliced strawberries, fresh or frozen

1 package (6 ounce) strawberry flavor gelatin

2 cups boiling water

Instructions

Crush pretzels with rolling pin, food processor, or whatever method. Mix in sugar and softened butter. Spread onto bottom of 9 by 13-inch baking pan; press down and spread evenly with spoon. Bake in 400-degree F. oven until just lightly browned, 6 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Thoroughly mix cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and whipped topping and spread over crumb crust when it has completely cooled. Dissolve strawberry gelatin in 2 cups boiling water. When cool, add strawberries and leave to thicken slightly. Then spread over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate until firm before cutting into squares for serving.

Note: Most cooks just use a topping such as Cool Whip in this recipe but a whipped topping made from a mix such as Dream Whip works fine and isn't quite as rich. It takes a little extra time to prepare, however. You can whip it up with milk and vanilla in the electric mixer and, removing any extra topping not needed, mix the topping, cream cheese and sugar in the same bowl. A 9-ounce package of pretzels is more than enough. The stick style is easiest to crush.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't find a Puffy Taco recipe using biscuits but did find this one instead.

Puffy Tacos

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups fresh masa OR instant corn flour (Maseca or Quaker masa harina)

1 1/3 cups warm water (if using instant masa)

1/4 cup lard

2 tablespoons baking powder

2 tablespoons Bolners fajita seasoning

tortilla press

comal or flat griddle heated to 375 degrees

hot oil (375) for frying

DIRECTIONS:

Mix the fresh masa or masa harina corn flour with the baking powder and

fajita seasoning Add the warm water to form a soft dough. Work in the ‘warmed’ lard.

To warm the lard, microwave 10 seconds at a time until it is soft but not melted.

If the mixture seems too crumbly, add more water a little at a time. If the dough

sticks to your hand, it is too wet and you will need to add a little more masa. When the dough feels ‘just right’- not too wet and not too crumbly, then put into a plastic bag, seal, and let stand, for 20 minutes.

Pinch off a piece of the dough about 1 1/2 inches and form into a smooth ball with

the palms of your hands. Keep the remaining dough in the plastic bag to prevent from drying out.

Open the tortilla press and lay a piece of plastic wrap or sandwich bag on the bottom half. Next, place a single ball of dough on the plastic in the center and place another piece of plastic wrap (or sandwich bag) on top of the ball and flatten slightly with your hand.

Close the press firmly, then open. Dampen your hands with a little water and peel the top bag off the tortilla, then lift the bottom plastic bag up with the tortilla still on it. Transfer the tortilla, dough side down, to your dampened hand. With your free hand, carefully peel the bag off the dough. Place the tortilla that is approximately 1/8 inch thick carefully

onto the hot comal and let cook for 20-30 seconds. Turn over and cook for another

20-30 seconds. With a spatula, remove from the comal and gently place in the

hot oil.

Let fry for about 20 -30 seconds, then with a metal spatula or slotted spoon gently

flip the flat tortilla over in the hot oil. Using a pair of metal tongs or the back of a

large metal slotted spoon, place in the middle and gently push down to form a 'V'

with the tortilla. Let fry for a about 1 minute, but not until completely crisp.

Remove and drain on paper towels. Fill with your favorites including refried beans,

chicken or beef, lettuce, tomato, onion and grated cheese.

Top with your favorite salsa.

Sure...

2 lbs hashbrowns regular or southern

1 small onion finely chopped

1-2 lbs of shredded cheese( depends on how cheesy you want them)

1 can Cream of Mushroom

1 (16oz) sour cream

Salt/Pepper to taste

1/2 cup dry bread crumbs

1 stick of magarine

Combine potatoes with onion and chese. Mix together soup and sour cream. Add to the potato mixture. Stir very well. Put it into a greased 9x11 dish. Dot with Margarine cut into squares. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and bake uncovered at 350 for an hour- 1 1/2 hrs.

Let me know how it turns out. I sometimes put leftover ham into it as well.

Thanks...I'm going to make this TONIGHT!!!!!!!!! Yummy! Yummy! Yummy!!!:hungry:

Are we talking Thanksgving dinner or Chr-stmas dinner? I have different favorites for each.

For Thanksgiving, we make a whole day out of celebrating, from the Macey's Parade in the morning on. About 2:00 I put out a brie with hot pecan caramel sauce as an appetizer to hold everyone until dinner is served around 5:00. I would have to say that is my favorite for Thanksgiving, although I love everything.

For Chr-stmas, the standing rib roast itself is my favorite. I rarely make roasts of any kind, especially beef, and a standing rib roast only once a year.

However, when we have others coming to Chr-stmas dinner besides the four of us, I really splurge and do a crown roast. Oh man...!

The holidays are not the same if I don't get my grandmother's cornbread stuffing, chicken and dumplings, and pecan pie. If I'm really lucky, she'll have some fried cornbread for me. I have aunts that make the sweet potatoe crunch, green bean casserole, hashbrown casserole, and home made cheese and mac.