Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2005-06

Gator Pam

THANKS for your help now & in the future!

Hi everyone! I found this thread through a URL that was posted on a Target-related blog. After reading through all 88 pages, I decided to join.

I actually work at Target and have worked there for roughly 1 year and 6 months. I work there 5 days a week. I'm a salesfloor team member (you know, the ones that help the guests, put stuff away, and fix up the store to make it look pretty). I typically work in the HBA department (which includes health and beauty, wellness, cleaning supplies and pets) or the electronics department (which includes electronics, books, movies, music, luggage, hardware, and automotive) although my managers put me in the other departments when they need me there. Because I'm there more often than the average customer, I get to see what goes on clearance and even occasionally get a heads up on when seasonal items will go lower in price.

First of all, I've read some posts in this thread about how clearance items aren't coming up on price scanners when you put the DPCI number in. This is because clearance items are usually located on clearance endcaps and not in actual aisles. It won't tell you where to find these items. Also, 99% of clearance items show "In Stock: No" on the scanners because clearance items are supposed to be on the floor, not in the backroom. The only real exception to this is if we have palettes of the same clearance item in the backroom but there are plenty of the same item on clearance endcaps on the salesfloor. Also, items that don't have a salesfloor location (meaning they don't have room on the shelf for the item and can only be pulled from the backroom) may be kept in the backroom. This generally includes some furniture and some tvs.

Second, I only cashier if they need backup but I have come across a few salvage items that people try to buy. My store is pretty good with getting rid of salvage items but it is extremely difficult to get rid of ALL of it. So what I do when someone wants to purchase a salvage item that is coming up "$0.00" is I scan the item with my PDA and mark it 75% off the original price for non-seasonal items or 90% for seasonal items (meaning Christmas, Valentine's Day, Halloween, etc.). If a guest lies to me about the price (and I can tell if they are.. I know the general prices of items we carry), I will put it under my register and tell you that it's not for sale. It isn't the fact that we're not SUPPOSED to sell it that makes me do this. After all, salvage items are not in the system and I could potentially sell even the most expensive salvage item for .01. I just don't like liars who try to "beat the system". Just a heads up for people who try to do this. Not all cashiers are like me but there are quite a few especially where I work who don't like to be disrespected.

Also, I've noticed some people ranting about how employees get all the good deals. Can I just say that this is not illegal nor wrong (imo)? Salesfloor team members constantly have carts with them that they use for actual working purposes. If I throw in a bottle of shampoo that I want to buy later and a couple of good clearance deals but don't pay for it while I'm on the clock, why does it matter? We're customers too after all. I actually remember last year during the after Christmas toy sale, one of my managers put a whole cartful of toys aside for herself and paid for it later while she was on her break. Actually, every night, 15 minutes before we close, our manager tells us to run and do some last minute shopping (while on the clock) before the registers close. If my managers think this is ok, I'm not worried about it. One good thing about working for Target is knowing about good deals before anyone else. Does that mean I can't partake in these deals just because I work there?

Ok now about these deals you guys want some information on. Do you only want to know about the 75 or 90% off clearance items or do you want to know about the 30% off ones as well? Also, do you prefer certain items over others? Would you prefer to hear about toy deals rather than cosmetic deals? Would you like DPCIs? I'm willing to help if that means we'll get rid of a lot of it. I actually hate clearance because it's always a mess. I go to work tomorrow and I can let you guys know about some good deals if you want.

One more thing.. I know you guys generally perimeter peruse for clearance items but there are also some regular price items on back endcaps that are well-priced. Generally, back endcaps don't get shopped too often and my store puts potentially popular items and bonus items on these endcaps because if they were on front endcaps, they'd disappear quickly and the shelves would look bare. So check back endcaps for bonus deals while you're perusing clearance endcaps.

HTH.

Hi everyone! I found this thread through a URL that was posted on a Target-related blog. After reading through all 88 pages, I decided to join.

I actually work at Target and have worked there for roughly 1 year and 6 months. I work there 5 days a week. I'm a salesfloor team member (you know, the ones that help the guests, put stuff away, and fix up the store to make it look pretty). I typically work in the HBA department (which includes health and beauty, wellness, cleaning supplies and pets) or the electronics department (which includes electronics, books, movies, music, luggage, hardware, and automotive) although my managers put me in the other departments when they need me there. Because I'm there more often than the average customer, I get to see what goes on clearance and even occasionally get a heads up on when seasonal items will go lower in price.

First of all, I've read some posts in this thread about how clearance items aren't coming up on price scanners when you put the DPCI number in. This is because clearance items are usually located on clearance endcaps and not in actual aisles. It won't tell you where to find these items. Also, 99% of clearance items show "In Stock: No" on the scanners because clearance items are supposed to be on the floor, not in the backroom. The only real exception to this is if we have palettes of the same clearance item in the backroom but there are plenty of the same item on clearance endcaps on the salesfloor. Also, items that don't have a salesfloor location (meaning they don't have room on the shelf for the item and can only be pulled from the backroom) may be kept in the backroom. This generally includes some furniture and some tvs.

Second, I only cashier if they need backup but I have come across a few salvage items that people try to buy. My store is pretty good with getting rid of salvage items but it is extremely difficult to get rid of ALL of it. So what I do when someone wants to purchase a salvage item that is coming up "$0.00" is I scan the item with my PDA and mark it 75% off the original price for non-seasonal items or 90% for seasonal items (meaning Christmas, Valentine's Day, Halloween, etc.). If a guest lies to me about the price (and I can tell if they are.. I know the general prices of items we carry), I will put it under my register and tell you that it's not for sale. It isn't the fact that we're not SUPPOSED to sell it that makes me do this. After all, salvage items are not in the system and I could potentially sell even the most expensive salvage item for .01. I just don't like liars who try to "beat the system". Just a heads up for people who try to do this. Not all cashiers are like me but there are quite a few especially where I work who don't like to be disrespected.

Also, I've noticed some people ranting about how employees get all the good deals. Can I just say that this is not illegal nor wrong (imo)? Salesfloor team members constantly have carts with them that they use for actual working purposes. If I throw in a bottle of shampoo that I want to buy later and a couple of good clearance deals but don't pay for it while I'm on the clock, why does it matter? We're customers too after all. I actually remember last year during the after Christmas toy sale, one of my managers put a whole cartful of toys aside for herself and paid for it later while she was on her break. Actually, every night, 15 minutes before we close, our manager tells us to run and do some last minute shopping (while on the clock) before the registers close. If my managers think this is ok, I'm not worried about it. One good thing about working for Target is knowing about good deals before anyone else. Does that mean I can't partake in these deals just because I work there?

Ok now about these deals you guys want some information on. Do you only want to know about the 75 or 90% off clearance items or do you want to know about the 30% off ones as well? Also, do you prefer certain items over others? Would you prefer to hear about toy deals rather than cosmetic deals? Would you like DPCIs? I'm willing to help if that means we'll get rid of a lot of it. I actually hate clearance because it's always a mess. I go to work tomorrow and I can let you guys know about some good deals if you want.

One more thing.. I know you guys generally perimeter peruse for clearance items but there are also some regular price items on back endcaps that are well-priced. Generally, back endcaps don't get shopped too often and my store puts potentially popular items and bonus items on these endcaps because if they were on front endcaps, they'd disappear quickly and the shelves would look bare. So check back endcaps for bonus deals while you're perusing clearance endcaps.

HTH.

Welcome to the forum and a great big thank you for all of the info! I love Target clearance items. I have 9 kids, so when I can find a great deal, it is always appreciated!!! :yup:

THANKS for your help now & in the future!

Likewise, thank you. I live in western CT (Danbury/Waterbury) and would be very interested in knowing how to shop clearance items in Target here (any tips, advanced info and where to find those itesm) are welcome.

Yesterday I went into my local Target and it was Holiday Helper Day. I have no idea what it's celebrating but I scored free breakfast AND a $5 off $25 coupon for anything in the store. I got 2 clearance sweaters for $2.98 and the last Spiderman 3 wheeled scooter at $18 - my $5 made it really good since the reg price was $29.99.

Boy I love Target :D

Do you happen to have the DCPI number for this?

Kimberely

Not if it's on the red sticker - I wrap everything right away so snooping eyes can't find their gifts. Will it help if I track down the receipt?

Also, forgive my ignorance, but what is the DCPI number and why does it help?

Ok. I was at work today and I walked the endcaps in toys, HBA, and small appliances. We have next to nothing on clearance in HBA (only body wash , hand sanitizer, and a couple 30% off hair straighteners) and absolutely nothing on clearance in toys. The only thing that was on clearance in small appliances were display models. The display models may not go on clearance in every store however. We put a blender and a toaster on clearance today because the colors we carry now are different from what the displays are. I did however see an air compressor on clearance that was going very quickly. We had two tubs of them in the morning and we sold 1 and a half tubs worth of them during my 8 hour shift. Here's the details if anyone's interested:

Black & Decker 4 gallon air compressor

DPCI: 085 06 0420

Regular price: $149.99

Clearance price: $74.99

I would just like to point out that these same air compressors were on sale a couple of months ago for $99.99 and we couldn't keep them in stock. So if you're interested, I suggest you get one as soon as possible.

Also, the price change team was doing markdowns in the clothing area today so other stores will probably be doing the same over the next couple of days as well.

My target had plenty of those air compressors and I also saw that they have put their turkey fryers and the peanut oil on sale. The T-Fyrers are 25.00 and the oil is 13.00. No luck on any mark downs for the instruments. Bad Bad Target, mark those dang things down more. :D

Nothing in toys or clothes, also nothing in pets or home furnishings. I do however thank whomever posted about looking on the aisles and not always the perimeter, thats how I noticed the air compressors and turkey fryers.

BTW - My store is the Harbison, Columbia SC

ok without going thru all the posts - how long do I have to bring a receipt back in when something goes on sale. I bought the item on Nov 29th and it goes on sale this upcoming week.

I think it's 14 days too but you could always buy a new one and return it with the old receipt.

Not diddly squat on clearance today at SuperTarget in Orange Park, FL! :(

However, I did get my beloved "Firefly" DVD set on sale for over half price!!!! $18.88! YAY!!!!! It makes a good gift for anyone who likes a good sci-fi dramedy without aliens...

They have Firefly on sale again?! :D Thank you!!!

Ok. I was at work today and I walked the endcaps in toys, HBA, and small appliances. We have next to nothing on clearance in HBA (only body wash , hand sanitizer, and a couple 30% off hair straighteners) and absolutely nothing on clearance in toys. The only thing that was on clearance in small appliances were display models. The display models may not go on clearance in every store however. We put a blender and a toaster on clearance today because the colors we carry now are different from what the displays are. I did however see an air compressor on clearance that was going very quickly. We had two tubs of them in the morning and we sold 1 and a half tubs worth of them during my 8 hour shift. Here's the details if anyone's interested:

Black & Decker 4 gallon air compressor

DPCI: 085 06 0420

Regular price: $149.99

Clearance price: $74.99

I would just like to point out that these same air compressors were on sale a couple of months ago for $99.99 and we couldn't keep them in stock. So if you're interested, I suggest you get one as soon as possible.

Also, the price change team was doing markdowns in the clothing area today so other stores will probably be doing the same over the next couple of days as well.

I see you are located in Florida. What county? I am in Palm Beach County and shop the Lake Worth store a lot. Thanks for giving us the heads up. I LOVE Target!

Judi

Went today, nothing, but I did find the instruments. The clarinet and flute. They were still marked at the same price, but I'm sure they must have missed a markdown. My Target is known for that.

I just got back from Target and I saw these instruments were makred down to 50% off for those that were still looking for them.

You know, I didn't pay much attention to the prices, I just noticed 50% off. But if the violins are that cheap, I may have to get them because my kids play violin at school. The rental fee for each kid per school year is $40 so for $49 to actuall have them would be a nice investment.

However, I did get my beloved "Firefly" DVD set on sale for over half price!!!! $18.88! YAY!!!!! It makes a good gift for anyone who likes a good sci-fi dramedy without aliens...

Florida, do you have the UPC? My Husband has all of the episodes clogging up my TIVO and if I could get the set for that great price I'd definitely get it for him! Thanks for the information!

Florida, do you have the UPC? My Husband has all of the episodes clogging up my TIVO and if I could get the set for that great price I'd definitely get it for him! Thanks for the information!

Unfortunately, I already wrapped it up and shipped it to my daughter's boyfriend in Virginia just today.... and on line it appears to be $24.99. Wonder why? But here is a link to the ad that shows it for $18.99... the price is good all week, I think. It is on page 9 near the top....

http://weeklyad.target.com/target/default.aspx?action=entryflash&ref=nav2_footer_weeklyad (sorry, but for some reason, my link is not taking you directly to the ad, but you can look it up from the main page of target.com)

P.S..... a great addition to the "Firefly" DVD series set would be the movie made last year based on the series, "Serenity"... Walmart has it right now for just $8.15 + $.97 shipping!!! Great deal on a great movie! And if your husband has not seen "Serenity" it is a must if he is a "Firefly" fan.... Since he is probably a "Browncoat", he will love his gifts!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?cpncode=07-18186061-2&dest=9999999997&product_id=4366154&sourceid=0000000000000000000000&srccode=cii_9686437

Thanks so much Flordasunshine! We actually saw Serenity before it even came out in theaters! We were lucky enough to attend the sneak preview! I enjoyed both the movie and the series but I want them off my TIVO!!! He recorded all of them when they were on the SciFi marathon and he still watches them so I can't delete them! Thanks so much for the information!

You know, I didn't pay much attention to the prices, I just noticed 50% off. But if the violins are that cheap, I may have to get them because my kids play violin at school. The rental fee for each kid per school year is $40 so for $49 to actuall have them would be a nice investment.

Yes, I did score one of those violins and was coming to post about it.:yup:

I SHOP THERE, BUT FIND THE MOST BARGAINS BETWEEN THE REGENCY AND SAN JOSE AREA STORES IN JAX. ORANGE PARK SEEMS TO BE PICKED CLEAN OF DEALS!