Overall opinion of Black Friday ads leaked so far?

Brad

I haven't fine tune tooth combed the ads but I don't see anything that I don't need calling my attention. I used to impulse buy somethig terrible on BF. Years ago they had the cd and then later dvd spindles for cheap, walgreens had the jar candles buy 1 get 2 free and cheap laundry detergent. If I had started couponing earlier would have saved much more too. BF has never been a day to buy things I need.

I am disappointed in the ads. I will still go out because it is a tradition but nothing has caught me interest yet.

This sums it up for me as well. I'll be going out because it's tradition and part of the holiday weekend celebration, but there's nothing that is so good that I have my heart set on it. I wish the TV series DVDs were more present in the ads as well. Still looking forward to seeing Old Navy's and Kmart's ad, but at this point it'll more be going out just to see what I can get instead of the camping out and plotting to get the big doorbusters as in years past.

We're all so spoiled. Before BF the deals we scoff at were unheard of. My house is full of AWESOME toys that were purchased on BF or in pre-emptive sales. I probably won't go out this year (we have at least two of everything), but I am reaping the benefits of this promotion. This morning I installed two $60 2t disks in my PC. Just a couple hours ago I saw 26" lcds for <$200. Who thinks getting BF prices EVERY day is a bad thing? Not me. Happy Holidays!

I am so underimpressed that I may not even go out this year. We have a few things we need, none of which have really shown up in sales and, if they did, the prices aren't worth the effort. Don't even see any video games for my kids.

I am hoping maybe Amazon will have some deals for me. I got a few good deals online with them last year.

Ditto

I was not impressed til I saw the Best Buy ad. There are many things I'd get in there but there is NOOO way I am attempting BB. I really don't want to miss Thanksgiving to be in line! ;) Now, to wait and see what Walmart has...

Not being critical here, but what impressed you with the Best Buy add? Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see any great buys.

Not being critical here, but what impressed you with the Best Buy add? Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see any great buys.

I only took a quick look but the $149 netbook, the $99 15" TV and the $49 Harmony remote jumped out at me. I think I'm less impressed this year because I don't need a giant TV, a GPS, a laptop or desktop, a camcorder, a tablet or an ereader. I'm keeping Xmas a little low key this year. :)

I too am not as impressed with the ads this year, nothing to scream about or get overly excited about...but I will still go out Thursday night to head to off to one of the stores and wait to get some of the smaller stuff that will round out the Christmas gifts...I think part of the problem for me this year is the last few years I have racked up some great deals through the Christmas shopping season, that no one in my family needs any big ticket items this year. There are some good deals on a few of the items, as long as you are not wanting big brand names or top of the line items. I have been hoping to see a DSI/XL deal that would blow me away, but those are not to be found.

Like so many others I am dissappointed in TRU opening on Thursday night, our tradition was getting together with everyone that was going BF shopping in our group and having dessert, making list and planning the next day. Now someone will have to miss that if they want something at TRU...DD was thinking the netbook for 79.00 at TRU....but it comes down to sacraficing family fun time. I know we will still have a great time, but I usually buy 75% of my Chirstmas gifts that day...Don't think that will happen, unless I run across some unadvertised specials...Hoping online shopping will yield some easy wonderful deals.

Seeing the ads come out this year is like eating a bunch of sugar - you get a temporary high only to crash a short time later when the effect wears off. I've been excited to see the ads but my overall interest is not peaked, Michaels being the exception thus far. Like many others I plan to go out because it's tradition, but it's going to be much more leisurely. And for all his worrying about spending this year DH may not have to worry so much after all.

I am disappointed in the early opening times, especially TRU. Midnight openings are fine, but anything before that just seems greedy. I am happy w/ a lot of deals in the ads, but probably because I didn't have a lot specific items in mind before they started coming out. If you are just shopping, there are tons of awesome deals to be had.

Seems like a average year in terms of ads for me.. I hope to do 90% of it online...the ipod touch with the gift cards are the only thing that has caught my eye. I miss the TV's that range in the under 200 dollars. So far I haven't spotted one besides the Walmart deal and I missed it.

Brad, I am amazed at how early the ads are coming out. I remember in years past how legal department after legal department made sure you did not post the ads until, like, the last minute. But this year it's like boom-boom-boom one after the other.

As far as the ads, I just like to look at them to see what deals there are but I am not looking for anything in particular. If I get some great deal, great, if not, that's fine too.

As far as TRU opening at 10pm on Thursday, the first thing that came to my mind was how convenient that time will be for parents who have children under 12 years old. That way one parent stays w/the kids while the other goes to TRU. I figure perhaps there are many, many parents who have to work on Friday and that leaves one parent having to take the kids to do the shopping and I have seen many criticisms on here on people taking their children to BF. Which I definitely agree. It is too chaotic to take little ones.

I will shop on BF because it is so fun the energy you feel around you. Driving at in the wee hours and seeing all these other cars w/people looking for great deals too. I love going to breakfast afterward, basking in the glow of my great deals. It is just plain fun for me.

I'm not too impressed, but then again i'm not really out for much this year. DW needs a new laptop so that's my primary focus. Haven't checked the BB ad yet, but there's two that I'm considering. I too am disappointed that TRU broke ranks and is opening before midnight. I feel that other retailers will feel the need to follow suit and that's just wrong. I'd rather see it become "Black Wednesday" and leave Thanksgiving alone. So far, the only stops I have planned are AAFES, Radio Shack (backup for the laptop), Kohls and maybe Penney's. Will have to wait for the WM ad to see if they fit into the mix. Hope Sam's club still has breakfast...that could be the highlight! Edited by ObiRich
too many typos

I feel that in times past BF was the start of the Christmas shopping season, now it begins so much earlier. I think that's one of the reasons why we don't see the great deals anymore. I find better deals before BF in most cases. I'll shop on BF because it's tradition, how much I'll spend remains to be seen. I hate the push towards Thanksgiving shopping, I hope the retailers back off, but really it's been going in that direction for a while now. If any retailers are listening, I personally refuse to shop on Thanksgiving.

The ads are just flat out not good. A complete joke. I'm of the opinion that the second BF went mainstream is the day it died. Retailers saw people who were eager to spend and instead put out bad deals to ensure they make $$$. I'm gonna shop on Amazon or hope fry's is gonna release something. I wanted a TV and some of the deals so far are laughable. The people on another site have been comparing deals and some things on the new BB ad are only slightly cheaper than it is right now on Amazon!

Overall I'm the least excited about the actual "sales" than any year previously. That may be in part to a change in my shopping habits for quality over quantity though. I'm just tired of all these "fad" toys (like Zhu Zhu Pets - one example of many) that are either broken or shoved in a closet somewhere by February. This year my lists consist of things like Chemistry Sets, Klutz books, a wagon, etc. Things that are either educational or enable us to enjoy them more as a family. And those type items tend to be better deals online than in stores. However, I have been a BF shopper for many years and just knowing what a good deal vs. an ok deal is - most of the ads so far have been a bust in my opinion.

I'm not overly impressed... See alot of DS lites in bundles but they were hot last year, I feel like I'm seeing alot of repeats... I will be out though and I do have a list ready to go. I get alot of clothes on BF I do have 5 kids and one on the way. I was hoping to see amazing deals on the pillow pets seeing as they all want one. I guess I don't have a huge items to get. I'm pretty sure most teh stuff I want won't be sold out so happy day for me ;) I don't like the Thanksgiving sales at all, I think of the poor people out working registers on Thanksgiving night, I don't think they will be too happy.

I am pretty unenthusiastic about the ads thus far. I'll still be out shopping since it is a tradition; I just won't be in a frenzy trying to get any underwhelming "must-haves." Just remember though..for each of one us "Black Friday veterans" that stays home or grumbles about the ads, there will be 5 more shoppers clamoring to buy whatever they can get their hands on just because it's Black Friday and they don't know any better.

I am disappointed too. Maybe it's because we are so fortunate to have to have so much that nothing is catching my (or so many other's) eyes. I am not seeing anything worth getting up early and freezing my bucket off either. (And I *like* the thrill of a knock down, dragged out..... er :gdgirlfight3ol:.....thrill of victory when you arrive with your item, bruised and with a tooth or two missing at the checkout!) So many of the items are available over the internet anyways. ::sigh:: No point in going out.

What ever happened to all those "Free after rebate" deals? Used to get spindles of blank cd's for the computer etc. I used to fill out rebate forms on BF afternoon. And what about those special pooh beanie's at the Disney store? First 200 only. Penney's is doing their free Mickey Mouse snowglobe (yay) But Target, a few years, ago gave out scratch off cards that gave early shoppers a free limited edition matchbox car OR to a lucky few, a free Izone polaroid camera. (I won two of those cameras before I finally won a little car....LOL.) I remember making a run through Kohl's for a $49 portable DVD player few years ago. Geeks has them this weekend for $42 or $43. Sears and Target wants me to run for one this year for $49 (Radio Shack $59!!) $49?!? Make it $29 this year and I'll get up early and run for that portable dvd player. My local mall used to give out a free (paper) shopping bag to all the early shoppers. Lots of coupons etc. inside and several bags had surprise gift certificate for the lucky shopper. ($10 and up). And I used to camp out a Walmart for those $5 hot wheel sets. (Built a small village in about 3 years. :D ) And I am missing my 99 cent 64 Crayola crayons (Come on Walgreen's! You can still add it!) No, I was never one to camp out for the really big stuff....but the medium and little stuff is just not enticing me to get up early this year either. (And let's face it retailers, it's all those impulse buys we pick up while we are waiting in that long line through your store that gets you in the black!) I guess you'll have to add me to the "Scrooge" shopping group this year.....sleeping in! :gdsleep: