Overall opinion of Black Friday ads leaked so far?

Brad

Since I know I'm going to get asked this many times by reporters in the next 2 weeks, let's have a thread that I can reference.

What are your thoughts regarding the ads so far? Happy? Disappointed? Waiting for last minute additions?

Share your thoughts here - maybe some of you will end up quoted in a news story :D

I think there are no real 'hot' items this year so retailers are just posting some of the same old, and guessing at what people want. They also need to remember it's Black FRIDAY, and stop trying to take Thanksgiving away from us. Many people will pick their families over shopping and take their chances at buying on line.

I am so underimpressed that I may not even go out this year. We have a few things we need, none of which have really shown up in sales and, if they did, the prices aren't worth the effort. Don't even see any video games for my kids.

I am hoping maybe Amazon will have some deals for me. I got a few good deals online with them last year.

Maybe I am in the minority but I think the ads are decent. There are NEVER the really "hot" items on sale black Friday because they are "hot" so people will buy them regardless of the price so Im not quite sure why anyone is surprised by this. Ive been doing Black Friday a long time and this has always been the case. I will admit I did expect a cheaper deal on the lcd tvs but that is mainly from the speculations in articles not really because of it being Black Friday. I think that the larger ads offered some great deals ( some Im interested in , some Im not) but I will be out in full force shopping =)

I also can't wait for the last few ads I need to leak ( kmart, bbw, and Old Navy)

Overall disappointing. No store has that one SPECIAL or HOT item - no $200 laptop or $300 TV just to get people lining up in the middle of the night. As a result, I bet the early sales figures will be disappointing. Hopefully, the last minute additions will bring some surprises - and give the everyday shopper real incentive to skip sleep on Thanksgiving night.

I'm still waiting for the WM ad, but so far, Toys R Us is the only ad with decent toy prices. I hate that it opens at 10pm, which means I have to get in line at 7pm. I think the early opening hours on Friday are great, I've always tried to go to sleep early on Thursday to have the energy for Friday, but TRU is screwing that up this year.

So far I have not been impressed at all with the ads, although I am still waiting for Kmart and Walmart. I am also pretty dissapointed in Toy's R Us this year. I think opening at Midnight last year was okay and I'll admit I was in line but opening even earlier this year at 10pm I believe is taking it too far. One of the things I like about Black FRIDAY is that I get to spend time with my family eating and then relaxing and then getting up early to get the best deals, now I just feel as though I'm going to be rushed.....or maybe not as I'm not too impressed with those deals anyways.

The opening times are HORRIBLE!! For a lot of us, it's not just about the sales, it's a family tradition that takes place year after year. For me the early opening times are quickly destroying the whole BF tradition. With the economy as bad as it is, you would think that the sales would be better. But then again, maybe this is the retailers way to boost their bottom line.........keep sales mediocre because they know that one way or another people are going to buy the "most requested" item on their kids Christmas list whether it's on sale or not.

I have found enough items in the ads that my budget will be spent (some on items before BF because this site helps me find the best deals and some on BF) I use the shopping list on the site and it helps me to compare prices and to look up reviews. So if I want to get luggage for DIL then I have quite a few choices. The two items I am most excited about I have already bought at what I believe to be the best price. Thanks GottaDeal!!

Well, being a perimeter peruser at Target, I haven't really been impressed with Black Friday ads for several years now. That had a little to do with my inactivity on the site for a couple of years. i just didn't see anything that beat the year-round clearance deals at Target. And now that a Kohl's has finally opened here, and with the CVS and Walgreens threads here in the forums, I honestly do better year-round than buying Black Friday deals.

That said, I still love the thrill of Black Friday shopping. Usually I line up at Wal-mart, as most other ads do not thrill me.

So, my overall impression so far is: "meh." I am hoping the Wal-mart ad will change that impression.

I agree with everyone else, I am disappointed in Toys R Us for opening at 10pm on Thanksgiving. I think anything before 4am is ridiculous.

As far as the ads this year (with out seeing Old Navy or KMarts) I think Target has the best one this year in my opinion. But over all there is nothing that makes me think "OMG I have to go there first for that". I think this year will just be me getting our yearly stock of DVD's and that is about it. No major purchases for us. I think my total I have planned out so far is about $100 I plan on spending.

The ads are disappointing at best. I have seen nothing worth going for but will go with the friends/family as it is tradition! I was late starting my Christmas shopping and had hoped that BF would be THE day to finish up my Christmas shopping but I don't think that is true. I have seen better sales going on now than BF. Not impressed.

I am not a techie and even I can recognize how old some of these electronics they're offering are this year. I get the fact that you can't massively discount new stuff to be black Friday worthy but some of these old offerings are insulting.

Also, shame on toys r us. Chances are if you're shopping there, you're a parent so their 10pm opening time is essentially asking parents to leave their kids on a family holiday to get good deals and in this economy, alot of parents need to take advantage of these deals to afford presents. SHAME Toysrus!!!

I am honestly disappointed in this year's ads so far. Other than one video game at Toys R Us, there is nothing that I really need. I might get a doll for my daughter from Target if they happen to have one when I get there and possibly a shirt for my husband, but other than that the only reason I will be going out is that it is tradition, I will just be along for the ride with my sisters and mom. My husband does Wal-Mart every year, so he is really hoping they have something,if not he will just sleep in.

I was really excited for this years BF since I wasn't able to go out last year and knew I would be able to this year, but the more ads the come out the less excited I get and the more I am saying "they really didn't have much".

Even my mom said "the ads must not be that good because usually when the ads come out you can't stop talking about all the stuff you plan on getting" lol