Children and Black Friday. Should you take them with you?

jaymacfla

I don't take my kids out early, but when we get back from hitting wal mart in our small town, we head out to the mall in a nearby city. That too is a smaller city, so no big deal. Its usually around 9 am by then, so no biggie. They are already up. We do Toys R Us and the mall and the kids enjoy it. Last year, my 13 yr. old went to wal mart at midnight with his friend and his parents. His friend waited in line for a computer. It is a super center, so it was open. His friends mom works there and his dad was waiting for something else. I had no problem with it. My almost 12 yr. old dd said she wants to go to wal mart with us early this year, so I might let her and see how she likes it.

Up until last year, I had always gone by myself becuase I didn't want to have anyone else slowing me down :) My DD12 begged and begged me last year up until the day and I usually do take her with me to the Kmart Thanksgiving Day sale and she has done well. So last year I gave in and let her come with me to Toy's R Us at midnight, she had a blast and was amazed that all the stories I have told about long lines and people pushing and shoving were true. After TRU we went to our local Walmart Superstore so we didn't have to wait outside in the cold and my daughter proceded to get in the buggy lay down and take a 2 hour nap :) She did really well though for the rest of the day and was actually a big help in getting throught the crowds and getting items for me.

I have 2 boys, ages 3 and 2....and have never, nor will I ever take them with me on BF. Even if I had no sitter (which sometimes with the holidays, it can be a bit chaotic finding someone), I would still not take them with me. I'd shop online.

My boys are a nightmare shopping. On a regular day. That panicked mom you see?...is usually me. Being that I have one child IN the cart trying to stand up or climb, etc....it's a common occurance that my 3 year old takes advantage of that and takes off down an isle. There is NO way I would subject them to the crowds and chaos on BF. Unless of course I could somehow leash them inside the cart. But even then, I wouldn't have room for my doorbusters. LOL.

But on a serious note, I see a lot of comments in regards to BF being the only day to truly get rock-bottom prices on necessities/toys to be able to give their children a Christmas at all. My advice? Clearance shopping! My children are almost done as far as Christmas goes thanks to Old Navy's, Children's Place, and Target's after Christmas clearances last year. In fact the majority of the items I got...were far less than even the best of BF prices!

Anyways, my step-daughter is 10 this year. I may consider taking her with me in the next couple years just because I know she would love it and I think she's about to the age where she can handle it. Okay done rambling. lol..

I have 2 boys, ages 3 and 2....and have never, nor will I ever take them with me on BF. Even if I had no sitter (which sometimes with the holidays, it can be a bit chaotic finding someone), I would still not take them with me. I'd shop online.

My boys are a nightmare shopping. On a regular day. That panicked mom you see?...is usually me. Being that I have one child IN the cart trying to stand up or climb, etc....it's a common occurance that my 3 year old takes advantage of that and takes off down an isle. There is NO way I would subject them to the crowds and chaos on BF. Unless of course I could somehow leash them inside the cart. But even then, I wouldn't have room for my doorbusters. LOL.

But on a serious note, I see a lot of comments in regards to BF being the only day to truly get rock-bottom prices on necessities/toys to be able to give their children a Christmas at all. My advice? Clearance shopping! My children are almost done as far as Christmas goes thanks to Old Navy's, Children's Place, and Target's after Christmas clearances last year. In fact the majority of the items I got...were far less than even the best of BF prices!

Anyways, my step-daughter is 10 this year. I may consider taking her with me in the next couple years just because I know she would love it and I think she's about to the age where she can handle it. Okay done rambling. lol..

I think 10 is a good age. My stepdaughter is now 15. She's been going BF shopping with me since she was 11 and loves it! Have to say it's been helpful to have the extra body and set of hands at times too! However, it gets kind of sticky when I'm trying to pick items up for her. I usually send her on a wild goose chase while I get the item hidden in my cart and again when I'm close to the register. Definitely would not have taken her when she was too much younger. It would've been too much of a hassle or distraction.

I WOULD NEVER EVER take my child with me!!!! TOO CHAOTIC!!! I saw people last year in Walmart with newborns, and small toddlers. One child (around 2 years old) was standing inside the big part of the shopping cart when 5am hit. Everyone SWARMMED toward the shopping cart because the dumb mother parked him near the doorbuster display. Long story short someone bumped the shopping cart and the kid flipped out of the cart HEAD FIRST!! :eek: THANK GOODNESS I caught the kid before he hit the floor & got possibly trampled. Silly mom didn’t even know what happened because she was rushing towards the doorbuster!!! LEAVE THE KIDS AT HOME!!! :mad:

I WOULD NEVER EVER take my child with me!!!! TOO CHAOTIC!!! I saw people last year in Walmart with newborns, and small toddlers. One child (around 2 years old) was standing inside the big part of the shopping cart when 5am hit. Everyone SWARMMED toward the shopping cart because the dumb mother parked him near the doorbuster display. Long story short someone bumped the shopping cart and the kid flipped out of the cart HEAD FIRST!! :eek: THANK GOODNESS I caught the kid before he hit the floor & got possibly trampled. Silly mom didn’t even know what happened because she was rushing towards the doorbuster!!! LEAVE THE KIDS AT HOME!!! :mad:

I do hate it when the parents take their kids and then don't watch them. If I lived somewhere that it was dangerous to take out kids I would not take them out either. Thankfully I've only had to take one of mine one time. My husband is self employed and usually takes that day off so he can watch the kids and he watched my friends older kids also last year. She usually takes her youngest (she is 3) but one of us is always watching her and it is not dangerous at all where we live. That is the advantage of living in a small town.. :)

I don't know that either of you would be ok with it, but maybe offer to watch her kids if she gets you what you want/need?

yay! We just talked and because we are spending thanksgiving together I am going to spend the night at her house so she can go to target early (and buy for me too of course) when she is back I would go!

Target has a little secret: Target will roll out product throughout the day. I went there a couple of years ago at 5 PM and got everything I wanted. I am sure that each store is different, but the bottom line is that they want to keep a steady flow of customers throughout the day.

I also notice they bring merchandise out throughout the day. Like the movies/picture frames etc..

It depends a lot on numerous factors. 1) Age..... first of all trying to do BF with a carriage is impossible, so you have to watch the child, hold them with 1 hard which makes it difficult to get the items, and you are putting them in danger of being stepped on. 2) Where...... if you are outside all night, depending on where you live, there is a good chance they will be cold.

I have been taking my oldest with me for a few years, but my son who will be 7 in November is dying to go, but I refuse to let him yet. I have taken him to 1 or 2 stores at about 10am just so he sees what it's like, but not interfere with my camping or slowing me down. Personally I do not recommend taking kids under at least 10, and that's only if you are experienced and aware of what to expect. It drives me nuts seeing parents with toddlers in the stores at 5am with kids crying because they are tired.

I think 10 is a good age. My stepdaughter is now 15. She's been going BF shopping with me since she was 11 and loves it! Have to say it's been helpful to have the extra body and set of hands at times too! However, it gets kind of sticky when I'm trying to pick items up for her. I usually send her on a wild goose chase while I get the item hidden in my cart and again when I'm close to the register. Definitely would not have taken her when she was too much younger. It would've been too much of a hassle or distraction.

I agree, 10 is a good age. My first stop is usually all night at Best Buy. She has been going since about 10 and loves it. When we get to BB she gets on line while I run and get the other items so once I'm ready I can pick up the doorbusters and be out usually in about 20 minutes or so and head to the next store. She has a cell phone should we get seperated and usually we will each have a section to cover when we enter. Our BF team has been steadily growing over the years so we can often hit most stores in about 15-20 minutes by going in and all picking a section and a few items to grab for everyone in our group.

I personally would NEVER bring my kids. That is the night/day for me n my bff to shop until we drop ( or run out of money) whichever comes first..lol! But, I have been lucky enough to ALWAYS have my hubby or mom watch them.

I think we should not judge others. Its not my place to say what other people should do. I see both sides and while I might not agree with taking out kids ESPECIALLY little ones, they are not my kids and its not mine or other peoples choice...

So imo I think we should just each worry about ourselves and pray that the kids that are out have good supervision ( which alot of them do)

OMG How horrible

I do not celebrate Christmas, I am just shopping for really good bargains. But, I have never had to take my children, thank goodness. It is always freezing cold when we go. I have older children that can watch them. I had them really spread apart (maybe that was intentional), so I have always had a babysitter and then there is my husband too. I would never take him along. He does not do the shopping thing. We have tried taking others on occassion, but they just don't get it. We took my son (now 20) one year and he was a great help, but he doesn't like going. Most people we know just think we are crazy. We have pretty much decided it is us (me and my sister) only.

Bringing any child under about 10 is CRAZY unless you are familiar with BF and supervising very carefully. 2 years ago while waiting on line at Best Buy for the entire day, 4 hrs before the store opened a 15yr old was playing in the parking lot. Well, she wound up breaking her leg and her mom got back JUST in time for them to start giving out the tickets. Even older children if not properly supervised get bored and try finding ways to release energy and that's before you even get into the store. I don't recommend any child under 10 unless you have experience and are able to supervise them and keep them safe. My younger kids will join me on the line for a little while so they could do "the Black Friday thing" but that's only when someone is bringing me coffee and they are never there in the final 3 or 4 hrs before the store opens. My son will be 7 this year and is harassing me to take him with me. I personally think he's too young and will wait at least another year or 2 before he does the real BF thing, but I have taken him later in the day to less crowded stores so he thinks he went shopping on BF like the rest of the adults, lol.

My DD9 wants to really come with BF shopping. I would have no problem with her coming with me as she listens well and stays by me. But, half of the items I shop for are for her or her brother so it would be too much of a hassle trying to hide everything and not being able to look at stuff without her around. So, she does not get to go with me.

My DD9 wants to really come with BF shopping. I would have no problem with her coming with me as she listens well and stays by me. But, half of the items I shop for are for her or her brother so it would be too much of a hassle trying to hide everything and not being able to look at stuff without her around. So, she does not get to go with me.

We have a pretty strict rule that any item they see in the carriage (of course we try to hide it as best we can regardless) they will not get. They don't go on BF but there are numerous times where we have them with us and see a good item on sale and decide to pick it up. On BF my oldest daughter has been going for the past couple of years and she knows better than to open her mouth and tell her siblings what they are getting or she will lose 1 gift for each item she tells them about. She has been very good about that in the past and we have been willing to take her with us because of it.

We have a pretty strict rule that any item they see in the carriage (of course we try to hide it as best we can regardless) they will not get. They don't go on BF but there are numerous times where we have them with us and see a good item on sale and decide to pick it up. On BF my oldest daughter has been going for the past couple of years and she knows better than to open her mouth and tell her siblings what they are getting or she will lose 1 gift for each item she tells them about. She has been very good about that in the past and we have been willing to take her with us because of it.

My problem is that DD still believes in Santa. And when I buy things for the kids this year most of the items will be from Santa as we are getting them Laptops this year. So, I can't buy anything for her or her brother. They remember everything and if he opens something from Santa that she saw me buy - she will be all over that.

My problem is that DD still believes in Santa. And when I buy things for the kids this year most of the items will be from Santa as we are getting them Laptops this year. So, I can't buy anything for her or her brother. They remember everything and if he opens something from Santa that she saw me buy - she will be all over that.

I know the feeling. Usually Santa gets them each 1 gift and the rest are from mom and dad. The ones from Santa we are very careful not to let them see or it will ruin it. My oldest knows the truth now and as long as she follows the rules not to tell the others she will get a present from Santa each year until they know from US telling them, lol. We usually only have 1 present for each from Santa though, no point in the big fat guy getting all the credit after we do all the work, lol.

Well - live in Florida - so there is no cold. I don't take my children 'cause that is MY morning out. I let the hubby deal with the kids & I go shopping (with a Latte on the side ;)

OK, you must live in the frost free portion of the state to claim that right? Last year, temps were around 30 degrees here.

Thankfully I don't have to take my dd3 she always stays home with Dad, sleeps in bed with him and they sleep in really late that day. If I didn't have anyone to watch her I would probably take her, if it weren't for BF she wouldn't get most of the gifts.

My 7 year old knows the routine now. We go to grandma's for thanksgiving, mommy leaves early evening to go shopping & she stays over at grandmas to play with her cousins & spend the night. I dont pick her up until Friday evening/Satuday morning. By that time I've caught up on my sleep (after camping out) & hid all the good gifts!!! I guess I will start taking her when she's around 13/14 years old. Old enough to know her way around a store if she got seperated from me, use a cell phone & elbow someone in the rib if they try to crash into her!!! :2bat: BF is not for the faint of heart. Anyone who comes with me on BF HAS to know how to "HOLD THERE OWN"!!! If not, I refuse to put her in harms way. However, I understand some people may not have family to watch their kids on BF. In that case buy your stuff on-line!!!

The only child I ever took was my niece but she was 15 before we took her. It is safety first, but the other reason I would not take my children is that they would be begging for things and would ruin the whole purpose of fighting to get them the perfect toy from Santa LOL