Lay a way at Walmart?

northernflirt

I was in Walmart yesterday and talking to the cashier who said that she heard a rumor that Walmart may start doing Lay a way for this holiday season. I don't know if it's true; but I think it would be an awesome idea. Love Walmart and would spend even more money there if this actually happens! If anyone knows anything about this who can either confirm or deny what I heard...please post!

I hope this is not a rumor. I will do alot more shopping there if they do open a layaway for the holiday season. I think since Kmart has a layaway it has hurt Walmart during the holidays. So I really hope they do start their layaway program again, if only for the holidays.

I know there are some people who work for WM who are regulars here and maybe they can chime in if they have seen anything. You have to remember they stopped layaways and converted the layaway sections in all of the WM I have been to into storage areas or more floor space. Doing layaways take logistics and planning.

I don't work for Walmart but I have family that does. According to my one family member, she has not heard one thing about it and it's too late in the year to put a layaway area together.

I can't figure out where they would put a layaway at the Walmart we go to unless they take out that site to store area and I can't see them doing that as it is very popular around here to use the site to store.

One year my walmart had so many lay-a-ways that when you went to pick it up they told you to drive around to the back of the store and they got it out of storage trailers, so thats always an option. I think they really hurt walmart by taking away the lay-a-ways. People would buy more if they could pay on it, than pay all at once. I know I would.

Lay away is back at the Walmart by me!!! YAY!! I just spoke to my sister and she was at Walmart last night and a friend of hers put a big screen tv on layaway, he put $200 down and they give a 12 month payment plan.

Edit:

Yeah I knew that was probably to good to be true but I was just so excited by the thought lol. I called the Walmart he went to and they have no idea what I am talking about but the guy is still saying he put a lay a way on so I don't know what is going on with these shenanigans! Hope I figure it out soon!!

Edited by Miss Star

They said they were losing money on it is what I heard. But you see their sales have continually declined this year. If they would add a layaway, at least for the holiday season, I believe that their sales would increase. I know Kmart has a layaway but their stuff is more expensive that Walmart. TRU has one also, but it is only on the bigger items.

I think they lost money on it because they never set up payment dates or a pay off by date. They just let you put it on there and it could sit there for ever before people paid it off. So they lost money by having all this stuff sitting somewhere hoping that it would get picked up someday. At least KMart moves their layaway with payment dates and have to pick it up by dates. And they get a little by requiring a layaway fee.

the main reason they got rid of layaway was to promote thier credit cards, "why layaway when you can open a credit card and get your items imediatly?" was thier slogan for a while, unfortionatly they did not think this through and only saw all the interest they would make, but reality is most people that must use layaway do not have the credit rating to qualify for the cards and those of us that choose to use layaway are too smart to get trapped into the interest web.

the main reason they got rid of layaway was to promote thier credit cards, "why layaway when you can open a credit card and get your items imediatly?" was thier slogan for a while, unfortionatly they did not think this through and only saw all the interest they would make, but reality is most people that must use layaway do not have the credit rating to qualify for the cards and those of us that choose to use layaway are too smart to get trapped into the interest web.

That is so true. I really think their plan backfired though.

I think they lost money on it because they never set up payment dates or a pay off by date. They just let you put it on there and it could sit there for ever before people paid it off. So they lost money by having all this stuff sitting somewhere hoping that it would get picked up someday. At least KMart moves their layaway with payment dates and have to pick it up by dates. And they get a little by requiring a layaway fee.

Ah whenever I had put something on layaway, I always had a date that I had to pick up otherwise I lost the layaway.

They also got rid of layaway because of all their rollbacks. I had a layaway there once, when I picked up my stuff they actually refunded me $2.00 because the price dropped on the items. They told me a lot of people saw the price drop on the shelves so they bought it at a lower price and canceled the layaway.