Walmart Taking Steps To Prevent Another Black Friday Trampling

georgiapeach717

This may have been posted, but you will be able to go online to Walmart.com before BF and print out a map of your particular store and it will show where the various doorbuster items will be located.

Oh wow I did not know you could do that. Our store has never had maps that I can recall.

Each big ticket item is going to have their own, clearly marked line. For example, a line for a 46" TV might be on Aisle 10 in the grocery department. Another line for a laptop might be in the Pet Department. Everything will be separated and crowds will be controlled.

Sure they'll be controlled. ;) The problem will START when people show up BEFORE the store is ready for people to line up. They're going to have people circling the aisles like vultures waiting for the carcass. So there will be a mad dash to line up when the line is officially started. Then as the time gets closer, more and more people will crowd around.... those in the front of the line will get antsy about line-jumpers. And because the "camping" will occur indoors, people are going to show up earlier than if they had to stand outside.

In the best of stores it would be a difficult situation, the fact that it is walmart just compounds it.

Sure they'll be controlled. ;) The problem will START when people show up BEFORE the store is ready for people to line up. They're going to have people circling the aisles like vultures waiting for the carcass. So there will be a mad dash to line up when the line is officially started. Then as the time gets closer, more and more people will crowd around.... those in the front of the line will get antsy about line-jumpers. And because the "camping" will occur indoors, people are going to show up earlier than if they had to stand outside.

In the best of stores it would be a difficult situation, the fact that it is walmart just compounds it.

They can go line up right now if they want to. I don't see the problem...

I say Kudos to Walmart for addressing the problem. Anything that brings some order and a consistent plan has to be better than mass chaos.

Maybe its just me, but the way I look at it, allowing you only one really hot item such as a TV or Laptop makes sense, it spreads around the super deals to more people. I can decide what I really want and make that my priority. It may also allow me more time with my family on Thanksgiving. While some may feel they are getting "screwed", this allows more people to "win" in the end. How can that be wrong during the Holiday season? And frankly, if you are paying attention around here, the deals all year long are just as good.

Good luck everyone.

I'm kind of wondernig about Walmarts being open on Turkey Day in MA because of the Blue Laws that we have. Stores are not open on Thanksgiving in MA. I've always hated the fact that I can't go to KMart for their Thanksgiving day sale because the store is not open. I know at my local Walmart I saw their holiday hours posted and for Thanksgiving it said they were closed. Of course it did not say anything about their BF hours so I wonder if they will open (legally) at midnight.

I was wondering the same thing. I spoke to someone at a local Walmart and she stated because of the laws they weren't opening until 4 maybe 5. Any way we can get clarification on that maybe for us Mass folks? ...Damn state laws :cheesy:

ok here is my thinking..if everyone is in line waiting for their big ticket item and the small items you don't have to be in a line for means I can get all the small items without much of a hassle??? :gdparanoid: I was in Walmart last year when plastic was taken off the pallets and :eyepoppin:eek: wow it was crazy!!!

You mention Best Buy as if their plan is better. It is not. It encourages scalping of doorbuster tickets. A one-ticket total per person will eliminate the incentive for people to camp out in hopes of scarfing up one ticket for each item and scalping them for $20 a pop. Every year one must start camping earlier and earlier. 4 years ago, one could arrive at the local Best Buy at 11 pm Thanksgiving evening and be guaranteed to be no further back than 20th in line. Last year, the 20th person in line arrived at 1pm Thanksgiving day. Virtually all of that due to scalpers.

Best Buy should do vouchers. Come outside with tickets and scanners. You want a television and a laptop? Okay, here are your tickets. Someone will be along to scan them for you in a few minutes and give you a payment voucher (or gift card). Take your ticket and your items to the register, scan the payment. That would certainly take care of a large part of the scalping problem.

I got screwed by a Best Buy by me that did the 1 ticket total per person. It was incredibly frustrating to wait in the cold for almost 18 hours and get 1 thing. I am still considering Walmart because at least I'd get to wait someplace warm with lighting so I could read but I'd be more inclined to go if they opened at 4 so I could stagger it with a trip to a store that opens at 6.

I am needing two GPS units. I have other people going with me but will be going for other items. Our walmart said thats because it gets virtually no traffic, they dont plan on handing anything out just like years before, let everyone stand around pallets... last year i think the biggest crowed was 20 people around one pallet

I am so worried about this year. I LIKE BB, I like the fact that I do have a tent to nap a little bit when I want to.

Sadly the deals I am going after are at WM - this means no rest, and I am also unable to stand for very long. I will not even be 2 full weeks out of surgery so I need to sit.

Here is what we will be going for - $198. laptop and $146 camcorder.

Anyone have any tips for me?

the sitting down thing crossed my mind as well..Not as needed as Dusty(yikes on BF post surgery) but if they let us in at midnight 5 hrs is a long time to have people standing in-line. We have always used chairs when we had to line up outside and last 3 years when we were allowed in we would wander till we found some place to sit to wait out the majority of time pre-pallet ripping...cant see them putting out folding chairs for that many people cause BF isnt nutty enough lets give them folding chairs....http://blogs.oracle.com/archbeat/WindowsLiveWriter/17WayTagTeamProducesSOAManifesto_9CF5/chair.jpg

I am so worried about this year. I LIKE BB, I like the fact that I do have a tent to nap a little bit when I want to.

Sadly the deals I am going after are at WM - this means no rest, and I am also unable to stand for very long. I will not even be 2 full weeks out of surgery so I need to sit.

Here is what we will be going for - $198. laptop and $146 camcorder.

Anyone have any tips for me?

I would buy one of those cane/stools and be able to sit dusty!

Jim any idea when the maps will be available for print? I've perused the website and can't find any links to maps yet.

Edited by myboyzr2
adding

I would guess the maps will be online before or on Wednesday. As soon as they are posted we will post the link and let everyone know.

I would think WM will be making a big announcement on security for BF next week and the maps are part of the plan.

I would buy one of those cane/stools and be able to sit dusty!

Jim any idea when the maps will be available for print? I've perused the website and can't find any links to maps yet.

This may have been posted, but you will be able to go online to Walmart.com before BF and print out a map of your particular store and it will show where the various doorbuster items will be located.

Thanks so much for sharing this! The WM I used to work/shop at always handed out maps at the door. The WM I've been shopping at for the last 3 years (we moved) never gives out a map. In fact, they never know where many of the BF items will be located. I usually go in around 2 to pick up price match items and figure out where all the doorbusters I need are located so I can plan out my "route".....and every year there is at least one thing that I, nor anyone else seems to be able to find :mad: . So I am thrilled to hear that there will be maps! :D

I'm kind of wondernig about Walmarts being open on Turkey Day in MA because of the Blue Laws that we have. Stores are not open on Thanksgiving in MA. I've always hated the fact that I can't go to KMart for their Thanksgiving day sale because the store is not open. I know at my local Walmart I saw their holiday hours posted and for Thanksgiving it said they were closed. Of course it did not say anything about their BF hours so I wonder if they will open (legally) at midnight.

Regarding the Kmart T-day ad, in my store they usually have that sale on Wednesday since stores are closed Thursday. On Wednesday morning we get the ad and it is the same as the T-day ad. HTH

I just got back from my Walmart ( it is a 24 hour ) and the sign on the door said closing Nov. 25 at 10pm for the holiday on the 26th and will reopen on Nov 27 at 5am. I thought all Walmarts where to stay open to prevent any accidents.

Some cities do not allow their stores to open before a certain time. I was told the store in Chicopee cannot open before 5 a.m. Our local Kmart in Holyoke is also not open on Thanksgiving day.

Some cities do not allow their stores to open before a certain time. I was told the store in Chicopee cannot open before 5 a.m. Our local Kmart in Holyoke is also not open on Thanksgiving day.

Toys r us are opening at Midnight and Kmart (in Braintree) is open on Thanksgiving.At least last year they where

I talked to one of the ass't managers at one of the two walmarts in my town. She told me that things would probably be scattered around the store as usual. Only thing is that there would be NO black strink wrap around them and the police would be everywhere guarding it. The store is open 24 hours and sale of course starts at 5 am.

I just called my local Wal-Mart and talked to a manager. He told me that they are not limiting it to one item per person. If the first person in line wants all that they have in stock, they will shut down the line. I think that's ridiculous! I won't be wasting my time there I guess.