How many years have you been shopping BF?

bpr

I was wondering how long most people have been shopping on Black Friday? I have to go way back to the mid-90's at least. Our DS was only three or four, so I'm guessing around 1995. We used to get up to get in line for KB Toy Works(Castle, at the time). They usually opened around 5am. We were always near the front (I can't remember what time we would get in line, I think around 3am) and by morning, the line would stretch across the parking lot. It was MAD once you got inside. It was a big store(like a smaller ToysRUs), but you couldn't move it was so jammed, lol. We loved it though. So, based on that, I'm thinking we have been doing it for 15 years. We still love it, but our items we shop for have changed drastically :P.

It has been over 40 years of shopping for me. My mom took me out for my first Black Friday shopping when she was 8 months pregnant with me.

Has Black Friday been around that long? I didn't think it was but maybe 20 years old or so. I do know I would shop with my mother the day after Christmas long ago, but don't remember BF.

There has always been day after thanksgiving sales and like anything you can trace roots to when stuff started.

Has Black Friday been around that long? I didn't think it was but maybe 20 years old or so. I do know I would shop with my mother the day after Christmas long ago, but don't remember BF.

I did BF even when I worked retail, I went to Kmart on the way to the mall to work in 1984 for the b1g1 wrapping paper and candy. I managed a small store and we would take turns going out to get bargains even then...The little stores wouldn't get heavy traffic until after 10am as everyone was in May Cohens (now Belk) or Iveys (now Dillards), Sears or JC Penneys.

There has always been day after thanksgiving sales and like anything you can trace roots to when stuff started.

According to Wikipedia "the term "Black Friday" has been traced back only to the 1960s". Who knew? Lol

A couple of decades, at least.

I was one of the few people who would arrive at the local mall just before the doors opened. 7:00 AM was the absolute earliest opening time- usually at Penneys and Sears only- and there would be maybe a dozen people waiting to get in. No traffic, no hunting for a parking place, no immediate sell-out of popular items. Things have certainly changed! Now I do all my shopping on line.

My mom took my sister and I a few times in the 90s. I was probably around 5 or 6 the first time (I'm 20 now) but it is one of the things I remember most at all about my childhood lol However the past 2 years is as long as I have been able to go out and spend my own money. So this will be our third straight year going out together. It feels so nice shopping with her and getting christmas presents and presents for ourselves too lol.

Has to be at least 12 years for me. Back when I was single and broke and looking for the best deals I could find for my kids. Now i'm just addicted!! :yup:

That seems like a good assessment of how it has been. When our DS was young, we didn't make as much money, so we had to look for great deals. Now, as you stated, it has become an addiction, lol. (Now that we can afford it, it seems like we spend too much. Before we were on a tight budget)

Wow, I can't believe how old I am! I thought well I started going when I was 18 so what, 5 or 6 years. But then I realized no- it's but 14! AAAaak! Where did all the time go???

At any rate, no one in my family would dare go out- and even though I had no money and no one to really buy for, I ventured out on my own to see what all the fuss was about. I loved it! I have been going every year since!