Share Your Story & Win GottaDeal.com Black Friday Survival Kits! [Winners Chosen!]

Brad

Two years ago I had to go by myself, my usual partner was sick. I left about 1am thinking I should get there early. When I got there I was alone so I sat in my car thinking I would go out into the cold when other people arrived. needless to say I fell asleep. When I finally woke up the store was already open. I didn't get what I was going for. Last year I got out of my car and sat in the cold til the store opened got everything I went for.

I've been going BF shopping for over 20 years. One of my first years doing this was in the mid 80's (1984 or 1985 I think) and it was during the Cabbage Patch craze. My dad and I were in Kmart getting a few items that we were after and saw all these women fighting over those Cabbage Patch Kids. There were several women punching each other, pulling hair, and playing tug-of-war over those stupid dolls.

So I have been Black friday shopping for as long as I can remember. First with my mother, then my sisters, now my husband. The year walmart had the laptops I decided this would be a great gift for my son, so I make my plan and my strategy and then I read 10 per store. I figured that it was already 10 pm and there was no way I would be lucky enough to get one, so I went to bed. I had a dream oh my goodness I was able to get one, I was so excited it woke me up. it was 1:10 am. I got dressed I drove in the snow and cold to my local Walmart( its 24hrs) To my surprise I was number 7. Now you would think that was it and all was good. Well about 330 am my people started to show up and we the 10 some that had been there since 9pm over heard people saying that they would just reach over and grab one at 5am. Well we discussed this between ourselves and even with the employee that was guarding the wrapped pile. The employee explained there was nothing they could do. Now that didnt sit good with us. So one of the guys that had been there since the beginning and was number 1, got out of his spot and proceeded to go get about 10 shopping carts and surrounded us inside. Needless to say all 10 of us got our laptops.

I love Black Friday. I wait all year for this. I am usually a law abiding shopper. No cutting in line, no cheating just the love of the sport. A few years ago the adrenaline of the game proved too much. I waited in front of a side door of Walmart. When the doors started to open, it was clear my door was not opening. In a fit, I rushed around to the front door (to boos and curses)only to get pushed in by this really huge mad guy (He thought he would keep me out but I do not think he realized that the force of 100 people pushing in the store would be so fierce). At that time we had a small Walmart that would take pictures of the opening and post them in the stores. Needless to say the picture that was taken made me look like a maniac and for months people I knew laughed their butts off when they saw it. There was no doubt it was me.

Last year was my 3rd "Black Friday" experience, but the first one I was really prepared for thanks to GD! I got everything on my list, and had a perfect plan of attack. My mother-in-law and I were out the door by 3am and home by 8am - it was awesome!

I'm not a morning person (I spell morning m-o-u-r-n-i-n-g) so I don't usually do the BF thing. A few years ago, I went through the newspaper ads on Thanksgiving and saw some deals and freebies that I just couldn't pass up so I made a list of store opening times and items I wanted and set my alarm for 3 a.m. -- except I accidentally set it for 3 p.m. By the time I finally woke up on Friday and got to the stores, all the deals and freebies I wanted were gone. :(

I haven't had any exciting experiences.. It's Black Friday.. Lots of Pushing, Yelling and throwing! But my favorite moment was when we me and my Mom were waiting at Menards for an hour for them to open only to realize they didn't open for ANOTHER hour... which worked in our favor because we went next door to Wal-Mart and hit them at opening, got our stuff then made it to Menards at opening. Just regret that hour waisted in the cold!! This year I'm keeping a list of all the stores and what time they open!

Last year was not my first Black Friday, but it was my very best one thanks to GottaDeal.com!!! I got everything on my list and some other very good buys. The one good and very different thing that happened to me was in WalMart, I had my usual stack of door busters in my arms (because a cart in WalMart slows me down) and I dropped a couple items I had 2 different people stop and help me. Maybe thats why they call us the "Friendly City" :)

My first real Black Friday experience was a mess. I decided that rather than go at any set time I would just drive by the Best Buy every hour or so until there were a few people in line then I wouldn't have to spend as long outside in the cold. Not a great idea but I did end up like 10th in line after my third drive by. Then I realized that I had 5 hours of sitting out in the cold to look forward to and I hadn't planned this out at all. I was sitting on the cold ground in single layers with a jacket and gloves on. After 1 1/2 hours freezing my tail off I decide that I can't make it this way and I go to Meijer to buy a warm sleeping blanket and some hand warmers. When I come back I am 50th in line. Planning not only what you want to buy but also how you are going to be able to stand in line all night is VERY important!

I can't think of anything specific that has happened to me, but my dh and I go shopping every year on Black Friday and enjoy getting the deals. I love the fact that we can get most of our Christmas shopping in before lunch and then be pretty much done with it! I also love the fact that my dh goes with me...it's a bonding experience for us! Every year we say to ourselves that this is crazy and we should rethink it, but every year we go again! I'm looking forward to shopping again this year with my dh!

Last year I went to the Mall that opened at 12 and was having a wonderful time with my friends when I discovered my lic was missing. We back track every where in the mall and just went I was going to give up one of the people in a store I was checking in call mall security and had them check lost and found for me. It was there and not only that they brought it to me. Talk about customer service!

This is one of the best Forums I have been for BF.

My story started early Nov. 2006 for Wii. We did not get it on debut. However, we found and heard the rumors that local Target (zip 32904) is going to have Nintendo wii for qty = 24 on BF at 4:00 am and will give out tickets. So we (my family of three) all decided to stake out earlier around 4:00 pm and line was already formed. However we all pulled out all-nighter with only one folding chair and with kind of cool night (around 42 F):(.

Ever since we do BF, pull out all nigheter, and stand in line. Last year it was Circuit City and other stores. Since 2008, we are well prepared (using Five "P" execution) "Proper Plan Prevent Poor Performance". WE have started our own excel spreadsheet with local store opening time, items that we need to buy and proper timing and driving distance. It worked last year, as we know that Staples will be the last stop around 7:45 am. This year (2009), we are well prepared and looking for Core2Duo laptop under $325.

Thanks GT for all the info. Love BF and God Bless BF.

Mmm

Guess waht we got it our ticket # was 19.

Being an extrovert, I always enjoy who I meet in line at O-dark 30. Sometimes its a mom and her teen kids, sometimes a person who has more tattos than skin. Somehow at that time of the morning, everyone is in a jovial mood and enjoy being part of the Black Friday event. Each year I wonder not only will I get that "top prize" for the day, but who I'll meet as well.

Dave

One year Circuit City had those pink Nintendo Gameboys on Sale for $49, I went to three stores that day looking for it, I checked online expecting to get shut out, but a fourth place had one left. I got up early the next morning and got it just in time. I love Black Friday!

Last year was my husband's first and last bf ever. He hated it. Every year I cull another family member from the list. Mom's good to go, my cousin doesn't understand. One friend loves it, another thinks I am crazy. Also, the night before everyone talks a good game "I think I'll go to the outlets at midnight" but it never happens. I am the only diehard BF person in my family, I guess. I also did online shopping the last few years. It is pretty awesome. It's nice to buy stuff at home in your jammies.

Last year was my second year doing Black Friday, seriously, and it was good. I was in line for friends getting them a laptop and gps. My cousin was with me in line to get a new LCD TV. We knew what had to be done and everything as we waited in line at Best Buy. I kept worrying it would take them a while to get in and get out. Surprisingly though it actually took me longer to get the laptop, gps,and some things for myself than it did for my cousin to get his TV. All told we finished and left in under a half-hour of the store actually opening. We were like one of the first ones in line which helped (although we got there at around 1 in the afternoon.)

My first year was nice I got everything I went for and I was first in line at BB. I was on the news and everyone in line was SO friendly what with hooking me up with free hot chocolate and everything. For all the stories I've heard of people being jerks (not that anyone on here is such a person, :D) on Black Friday the people I was in line with were nice.

I hope like last year this year goes just as smoothly as I plan to be standing in line once again for a laptop, most likely.

Got started early on with BF, going out with my mom. Took a few years off once I was out on my own in college, then a friend of mine convinced me to go with her and her hubby and I caught the BF bug again... :) Now I'm out there every year at oh-dark-30, usually by myself, sometimes with friends, but always having a blast. I've even now hooked my best friend's little brother on the BF festivities!!! :D

I've only been out on BF for 3 years now...make that 4 years when I go out this year.

Last year my brother was on vacation and found out my sister and I were going to a store that had a laptop on sale. Since my nieces birthday was coming up, he asked me to buy this on BF.

It was frigid cold in Colorado and not only was I bundled up in winter coat, hat and gloves, I had a blanket and a down comforter. I still was COLD!

My sister and I sat there at the store, playing yahtzee and trying to take little catnaps. Just before the store opened, my brother called on the cellphone to tell us that we didn't need to stay :eek: ... he decided to go to a store near his hotel in the mountains and was 6th or 7th in line...even though he got there just before store opened up.

All that waiting outside and we were able to go home...but did we? No, we were just in time to head to Walmart for another BF special....but we were able to go right inside .... ahhhhh, warmth.

I hope it is a bit warmer this year!!

My first BF experience was 2 years ago. It was the year that they had the $80 zune at Toys R Us. My brother and I were first in line. By the time the doors were about to open, people were gathering around the doors looking like they were going to cut in front of all of us who were waiting and rush in the door. Luckily, one of the people behind us in line worked as a security guard. He swiftly made a shopping cart baricade so that nobody would be able to cut us in line. Needless to say, we got our zunes and then quickly got out of there.

4 years ago, i was up before the sun going to Macy's for their free $10 gift card promo. I was 6 months pregnant and jumped out of the explorer we rode in and somersaulted in the air and found myself lying on my back looking up at the stars.....didnt realize my center of gravity had changed.....then we waited in line at Macys...to learn that we werent at the right door to get the gift card, it was only at the front door......thanks Macys for not posting a sign....but the day was fabulous and we still had a great time!!

One year the weather was supposed to be bad, and I live about 50 miles from a city, so I rented a motel room to be able to go shopping early the next day. The weather report was right, and everything was iced over. Still, I went out, being careful. Because of the terrible weather, not many people went out until about ten. Only a few of us brave souls had the stores practically to ourselves. It was probably the best Black Friday I've been shopping. Everyone was friendly, and there was a party atmosphere.