Share Your Story & Win GottaDeal.com Black Friday Survival Kits! [Winners Chosen!]

Brad

Last year we had lazy friends who wanted to sleep in! At 3 am I called them & called them until they woke up!Finally they came down to tru & stood in line! We told them not to get a basket because it would slow them down! They grabbed one! I got thru electronics & then to Target & Walgreens & Walmart, before they could even get out of TRU! We laughed at them! This year they said they will follow our guide! I can't wait til Black Friday!

Gottadeal has made me brave about going out on BF. Before I started coming to this site, I always thought BF shoppers were crazy and I didn't want any part of it. Count me now as a member of that group! :cheesy:

I remember the rush of waiting in my first line at TRU. It was 3AM and I was freezing, but I didn't mind because the thrill of getting the toys my kids wanted at crazy prices was worth standing in line for. :D

I have 2 stories, one for myself and one for my husband. I cannot remember if these were the same year or not. DHs was BF 2007 (pretty sure- WM had the Nintendo DS Zelda & Nintendog bundles) and mine was either 2007 or 2008 (TRU had the Leader Class Optimus Primes for $20). Anyway...

Mine: DH had dropped me off at TRU and went to WM. After the doors opened, everything was CRAZY and I had a hard time breaking away from the crowd to get to the Transformers aisle. I had very stupidly gotten a cart. I finally got away and was several feet away from the LAST Optimus Prime when out of nowhere, this woman rams my cart so hard that I fell into the shelves. A man standing next to the Prime saw what had happened and as the woman reached for the Transformer, he grabbed it up and asked me if I was after it. I said yes and he reached right over her shoulder and handed it to me. She was SO mad! I wanted to laugh and hug the guy. He seemed pretty satisfied with himself. :)

DH's: Possibly at the same time as my TRU mishap, DH was in line at WM to get 1 of the NDS Zelda bundles. While waiting, this elderly lady starts telling him about how she really needs to get one of them because its all her chronically ill grandson really wants for Christmas. DH gets one, the lady did not, so he gave his to her. He's feeling pretty good about himself.... until he sees the lady walk over to another lady with 3 ZELDA DSs in the cart already and say, "I got another one!" :shock::no::gdparanoid:

Three years ago my mom wanted a computer. The first of her many, my husband stood in line for her computer at Best buy. He froze. The next morning my mom and I went out to do our shopping and she stopped by to get him while I stood in line and she took him over to McDonalds to get him breakfast and to warm him up in her warm car with heated seats. She is still greatful fo him doing that she was almost in tears when we pulled up to get him out of line. We always look forward to Black Friday, but this year may be a little hard on us as we both are laid off, but I think we will go out just for the fun of it.

I have never actually gone out on Black Friday but this year my DH is taking the day off work so that he can stay home with my son so I can go. He knows how much I love getting a good deal and I am really looking forward to it. We have lost 50% of our total income this year so in order for my son to have a good Christmas I have to budget very wisely. I am a little nervous now though after reading some of your horror stories. Still going to try it though. It's amazing what you will do for you kids!

A few years back I needed a basketball goal. Took my "BIG" brother to get it. Got all my other items then went to find him stationed in the sporting goods section he got it. I thought great now lets go. He ran to get a basket for all my goodies. When he returned I went to help him pick it up from another end. Little did I know the lady in the wheelchair and him had a deal and I got whacked with her purse for trying to steal it. After my brother came from other side of pallet too say it was ok she quickly apologized.

:eek:

First year going I went by myself. I didn't know what to expect as it was all new to me, but I had $500 to spend (unbeknown to my wife ;) ) and was the 50-60th person in line. I wanted a laptop but Best Buy people came out at 3am to let us know they only received 14. I didn't expect to get one by then but I figured I was there and I would see what knickknacks I could get for a good price.

Left and right, people were turning down the "secret" laptop deal so when it came by my way I took the last one :) It turned out better than the advertised doorbuster deal in terms of price and quality! Great start to keep me tuned in to Black Friday.

Was in walmart 3 years ago to wait for the cheap notebook. It is a 24-hour walmart but the sale won't be effective until 6am. People lining up since 2am. At 6, when the staff brings out the notebooks, people not in line all rush toward the staff and grabbed all the notebooks. People lined up can't even get a chance to touch the notebooks.

I have not had any real bad experiences with BF in the 14 years I have been shopping BF excpet for last year when I had to work and was only able to go to one store. Always had fun and helped a few people along the way. One year several years ago my SIL and were in Kmart (was later in the morning) as I wanted to get some shirts for hubby. Well there I was lack of sleep, hyped up on Coffee and in a good mood shopping in the mens section when a good song starts playing and what do I do...I started dancing in the isle. This old man walked by and just shook his head while laughing at me. Oh well.... Bring On BF!!!!

Ok...so here I was with my nephew, cousin and 4 girlfriends (my backup) - anyways we have a ritual that we review our ads and decide which store to hit first. i mean what is the gift we absolutely have to have. well, i wanted to get my nephew one of the computers and while we were talking about it my aunt said she wanted one. then of course she called her brother, my uncle and he wanted one. so, now we need not just one laptop for my nephew but 3! what are the chances of this happening. yeah right.

anyways best buy apparently hands out "tickets" for the black friday items. so the way it worked is they went down the line and asked people who wants the 60 inch tv? who wants the laptop? who wants the desktop computer. needless to say...the syracuse university college kids had tents up in the front of the line. they took all the tickets. had NO INTENTION OF PURCHASING ANY OF THE ITEMS. once they handed out all the tickets and the best buy employees went back in the college kids preceeded to walk down the line of people and say...."One hundred dollars" if u want the 60" tv. they sold all the tickets that they had gotten to the people in the line behind them. WHAT A GREAT IDEA!! HAVEN'T BEEN BACK TO BEST BUY SINCE. MANAGEMENT DIDNT' DO TOO MUCH THINKING ON THAT ONE. I WAS SOO MAD!! THEY JUST HANDED KIDS THESE BIG ITEM TICKETS OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND JUST DIDN'T STOP TO THINK THAT THEY HAD NO INTENTIONS OR MEANS FOR THAT MATTER TO PURCHASE. 3 HOURS OF MY PRECIOUS BLACK FRIDAY TIME SPENT IN LINE THERE WHEN WE COULD HAVE BEEN SOMEWHERE ELSE. NEVER AGAIN. BEST BUY BLACK FRIDAY IS FOR SCAMMERS!!!

Edited by YankeeInKY

Last year I was at Target, 1st in 5 years I was at the front of the line. All I knew was that when the doors opened it felt like a rollercoaster ride. I did not even have to ove my feet I was pushed in every direction. LOL, anyway I was shopping moving to get everything I needed and I saw this elderly lady trying to get a big LCD TV in her cart. I tried to explain that you just needed to get a ticket and they will bring it to her car, she said that she did not trust that it would be there so i told her that I would help her and put it in her cart. So I picked the thing up and when I turned around her and her friend (another old lady) was robbing my cart. I tried to stop her but who would have believed that this old lady took my stuff. To make matters worse she didn't even want the TV, it was just a ploy to get my stuff. LOL --- i CAN LAUGH AT IT NOW, BUT WAS PISSED OFF THEN. :yup:

My first Black Friday was in 1998 when I had to find not 1, but 3 Furbys for my girls. It was trial by fire as I checked the Walmart website Thanksgiving day, sat on the phone at midnight, then up to wait for KayBee toys to open. The success I had that year got me hooked :D

I love bf shopping !4 years ago this bf I finally talked my little sister into going out with me all the other years she thought I was crazy until she finally went with me and she Loves it!But she had no idea what she had got herself into all she could say was wow that was crazy!!Then the next words out of her mouth where I cant wait till next year!!

Last year I was pregnant and on moderate bed rest. I so wanted to hit up best buy for a laptop because I go to school online and was on bed rest. So my sisters stood in line at best buy from like 1a till around 4a when they gave out the slips for the laptops, I didn't get the cheaper one I wanted the person in front of them got it,but I did get a nice HP laptop for a little more. After they got that they came and got me we waited till about 6a and went up there and got it. They tell everyone that is what they did for me so I didn't have to stand my pregnant butt out there in the cold and they remind me of it to this day.

actually can't say other than sis going into labor WHILE I WAS IN THE TWO HOUR KOHLS LINE 4 years ago, that's the most eventful thing I have ever experienced, oh and I watched an old lady get her nose broke about 9 years ago over a razor scooter when they first came out. Other than that pretty normal. LOL

i have been participating in black friday since 2003 first year i went 2 get an air hockey table that i had 2 drag through the store by myself someone thank god helped me put it in my car.. then when i got home i had 2 drag it in the house and hide it in the basement... that year was a success hiding stuff thereafter hasnt been as easy..:)

I go BF shopping with a group of girlfriends and my aunt. We stay up all night and get so slap happy its ridiculous. Anyhow, we have been know to spread out each with a list int he store. We all shop ion different departments so we all get what we want. We will all get in line to check out nad we go to breakfast to sort out the receipts when we are done. Of course were all armed with cellphones and we all sure can yell down an aisle to another buddy like its nobodys business when it comes to the volume!

But we enjoy it and have it down to a science, I guess were just a well oiled machine! :)

Last year was the first year I went with my mom and I was as worried for her like a mom worrying for her kid. Will she get stomped on, picked on, be able to grab stuff fst enough? My Mom is only 52 so I should think she could hold her own but this was her first time. She did fine but like always she pick up all these little extra things.

What I thought was great was we planned it out together and put money on gift cards so we did have to bring cash or our purses. I usually carry my debit card only but the gift card kept us on budget.

Can"t wait for this year!

My favorite Black Friday experience was the first time my husband went with me. He was so amazed at the crowds at first but really got into it. I watched him run down the aisle at Target and skip over the base of an endcap to get one of their Lego sets. No more than a minute after he snatched it they were gone!

Pleasantly surprised the other year at Walmart when at 4am they announced we could start carting all black friday deals! Registers didn't open till 5am. Soooo, had ALL my stuff by 4:20am and in line at registers by 4:30am. 5am hit... checked out with no problems and was in line at Target for their opening at 6am by 5am!

For the last 6 years my friend and I have gone out at 4:00am wearing shorts - in southern NH(it has been snowing). We equip ourselves with "schematics" - a color coded map that is coded by what time stores open. It includes highways/shortcuts and the three Dunkin Donuts in the area. Our Thanksgivings are now spent looking at your website and sitting next to the fire, dreaming of buying things:smart: Each year we have a motto - divide and conquer, shake and bake, to name a few. Not sure of our motto this year? My friend and I enjoy being in the stampedes at each store. It's like going to the running of the bulls - luckily we are the two biggest guys shopping and have yet to be pushed to the floor. After our day of purchase conquests we come back to our homes and our wives yell at us for buying things we did not need and never even had talked about....I can't wait for this year!:cheesy: