GottaDEAL 2020 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

I didn't frame it as a resolution, just "go do it already" - I'm again running at least 2x a week as long as the weather holds up (i.e. not raining.) It's quick - only 2 miles, and I'll try to vary it with speed one day, distance another (trying to figure out how to extend my route) etc.

Just block out the time on your calendar, don't let anyone schedule over it, and it's worked so far. If someone has to talk to me during that time (I run at the end of the workday, before I go home) then I reschedule my run time to the next day.

• Like 1

Happy March!  I got back from a hockey tournament last night and didn't realize I'd left my backpack (with MacBook Pro and priceless photo drive) in our hotel room.  Panic ensued this morning as I tried to find it, and then remembered Find my iPhone!  It was still at the hotel. A couple of phone calls later, and they are overnighting it to me. This month I am thankful for honest people who find stuff and turn it in, and for great memories made with my kids (age 8 and 9). 

As an aside, if you are ever in Kansas City and need to burn a few hours, the National World War I museum is absolutely worth the price of admission and more.  We had an amazing time there. The Vietnam exhibit was incredibly moving as well.

Next weekend we are headed to Notre Dame for the next to last tournament of our fall/winter season! 

• Like 3

So I thought January lasted forever, but February just flew by! And with February over, it looks like our weather is finally warming up some. 40s and 50s this week and hopefully it keeps going up. They're calling for rain off and on this week, but I'm fine with rain and not snow.

I like to think that I keep life pretty simple.  I went back to work full-time after not  working full-time for over 25 years (most of that time not working outside the home at all) just over 2 years ago.  We are trying to not use the extra income as an excuse to up our standard of living; we would like to retire some day.  There are definitely some conveniences we indulge in these days though because of time contraints.  Mostly small things though.

Happy March.  Two months out from making all those resolutions.  How is everyone doing?  My New Year's resolution was to find five hours and $100 per week that could be better spent :reporter: .  I have been doing this for some time, so it's getting more difficult.  Just the same, there is plenty of opportunity for me to 'lean' my life.

'Better spent' is pretty vague, but taking a walk, laying in the sun, watching television, and working on this post for two hours all give me pleasure, so I'm not talking about productivity.  Porterhouse steaks, red wine, and fine restaurants are off the table as well.  

Three years ago, I got off Twitter and Facebook.  That's what started this.  It wasn't my idea to get off Twitter :2banned2: but I quickly realized how much time I spent getting worked up over things that did not matter.  I quit Facebook while 'hardening' security after an update.  Best security?  Stop using Facebook -- pick up a phone, get in the car, or send an email.  No need to share every mundane aspect of my life and no need to vote on every mundane aspect of everyone else's life.  

Every year, I've broken my pledge to spend $0 on television.  It's easy enough to do, but I like playing with new toys and trying new things.  So, I decided to replace 'television' with 'things I do not value'.  Going forward, I will spend $0 on things I do not value.  Difficult at first, but I have developed this voice in my head that has all but eliminated impulse purchases.  I carefully plan my grocery shopping to minimize waste.  No more club memberships.  No more subscribe and save.  Maximizing 'cash back' credit cards (and paying off the balance each month).  It's already impacting my checking account.

This year, I have attacked my AT&T spend and participation in news/politics discussions with people who do not agree with me (I like talking politics with those who do  :zim ). 

The AT&T monster had gotten out of hand.  I pay for my adult kids' cell service.  It's less expensive that way -- for them, anyway.  When my wife was sick, I added Hot Spot so my oldest could telecommute when required.  We also used it at my sister's camp in the middle of nowhere.  Getting the 'right' Hot Spot features forced me to bump my plan which qualified me for discounts on things that were kind of nice.  This year, I got rid of the Hot Spot feature and the 'kind of nice things' and settled into an unlimited voice and data 'value' plan.  This saved me about $100 per month and no one noticed.  I am also month-to-month, so I am free to jump on a better deal.  That won't get me to $100 a week.  I am also working on my utilities -- unplugging things I don't use and not heating/cooling areas where no one goes.   I hope to cut $100/month off my grocery bill as well.

The 'news and politics' vampire is not simply an internet thing.  I have avoided politics as much as possible in real life too.  No cable news, no national news, no local news.  Alexa keeps me abreast of the weather.  When an instigator engages in political discourse, I simply excuse myself.  It's been liberating.

After two months, I feel like I am on track to keep my resolution.  I feel pretty good about that.  :gdcheers:    

Anyone else crushing their resolutions?  Simplifying their lives?

• Like 2

So I thought January lasted forever, but February just flew by! And with February over, it looks like our weather is finally warming up some. 40s and 50s this week and hopefully it keeps going up. They're calling for rain off and on this week, but I'm fine with rain and not snow.

Ya I heard it's going to get cold again. :(

February sucked.  March so far, is only marginally better.  My mom passed away last month, and we're working through her estate.

But at least spring is coming!

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Argh, I'm so ready for spring. Got about 8 inches of snow the past few days, now heading for some subzero temps at night for the rest of the week. Then another shot of snow probably Sunday. At least the sun feels warm again. We're almost there. Looking forward to breakup!

Edited by cinder
  • Like 1

All 6 US deaths due to coronavirus occurred at the hospital I frequent for monitoring my leukemia. The senior living center 5 of the cases came from is about 5 miles away from where I live.

Even though I am immunocompromised due to my chemotherapy, I am not self isolating or avoiding social events and gatherings.

Instead, I am continuing my standard of hygiene. I sing through Happy Birthday twice as I wash my hands. I use paper towels to open doors, and discard them in the trash immediately after. For now, I avoid shaking hands, and am surpressing my natural inclination to be a hugger.

Coronavirus is in my community. Life goes on. I will live my life, take reasonable precautions, and refuse to panic.

• Like 7

All 6 US deaths due to coronavirus occurred at the hospital I frequent for monitoring my leukemia. The senior living center 5 of the cases came from is about 5 miles away from where I live.

Even though I am immunocompromised due to my chemotherapy, I am not self isolating or avoiding social events and gatherings.

Instead, I am continuing my standard of hygiene. I sing through Happy Birthday twice as I wash my hands. I use paper towels to open doors, and discard them in the trash immediately after. For now, I avoid shaking hands, and am surpressing my natural inclination to be a hugger.

Coronavirus is in my community. Life goes on. I will live my life, take reasonable precautions, and refuse to panic.

Sounds great, but please be safe especially if it is in your area. I try not to get caught up with the build up in the media but I rather be safe than sorry especially with a weakened immune system. 

• Like 2

February has flown by! Working on our vacation to Disney and that makes me super happy!!

We just finished our planning to Disneyland!  love it!  Next year is the BIG Disney World trip - 10 days!  i'm already dying over all the planning to do!

March came in with a BANG!  Tornado early morning on March 3rd in Nashville!  So much destruction and so many lives lost!  National Guard still looking for people that are missing - still around 30-35 people missing!  Yesterday the number was around 70!  Death toll keeps rising.  Please say a prayer for all the families that are affected in so many different areas around the state.  NASHVILLE STRONG!

Edited by kellis4321
  • Like 3