How do you stick to your budget with so many great deals?

mamat2011

when the kiddos were little, I would put their Christmas money into envelopes with their names on them.  Then i would pay for each child's separately and put their receipts in the envelopes.  Now i keep a spread sheet and when the amount equals zero they are done 

• Like 3

I'm never able to stay on budget. I try to make it equal between my kids but it doesn't always end up like that.  I do try and have atleast the same # of presents for each one.  However, this year my DS is 13 and doesn't want toys like he use to and his list is ALOT shorter but still very expensive, so he may not have as many presents as his 8 year old brother who still likes toys. 

• Like 2

I don't really have a budget, but I might try one this year. We are really trying to save this year. Not that I didn't before. I know about how much I spend per child and how much I want to spend on each item, but I also buy a lot of things we use throughout the year that do not count as Christmas gifts (like appliances, magazines, clothes, etc). It also helps to stick to a list, and if someone doesn't give me their list in time then they wind up with a discounted gift card or lottery tickets. 

I have to stick pretty close because the extra is just not there. I keep a running list of what I have bought for each person. 3 of the grand kids are done, a few partly done and a couple with nothing..... but I have the money saved for each one. I al..so try to think birthdays while I am looking at the ads but that's a different budget. 

I have a Christmas club savings account that rolls over each 11/1.  That is what I have to spend on BF and Christmas.  Still that does not mean I do not go over, but if I do, it is usually a good deal on something for myself or the household that we need or can use soon.  

• Like 2

I have a targeted number I like to adhere too, but some gifts are more some are less.  I decide what I want to get or look at getting, if it is in the target range, I'm good.  Always looking for the best deal, this is where GottaDeal helps tremendously.

• Like 1

We are cash only for the holidays. I'll use my debit card but not actual credit cards. So, while I don't make a budget per se, only have the cash I have in the checking account. We also won't touch savings for gifts either. Edited by leefamily23
  • Like 1

I mostly use cash in order to stay on budget.

Hubs is the money man (he knows how much we have to the penny almost 100% of the time!) and we discuss in depth what I want, what I need and what I'd like to get.

If I am buying something that costs a lot, I'll use the debit card for it and then cash for everything else.

If I go over by more than $50 or so, I'll text him and say, "So, there was this great deal..." and he responds with "And how much did this great deal cost me?"

Typically, due to BF sales and other sales, I'm well UNDER budget overall, so it all works out in the end.

• Like 1