>>> Official Black Friday 2009 VIDEO GAMES Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

I am looking at the xbox 360 elite bundle package $299 versus the Modern Warfare bundle, what are the deals this holiday season....

I saw Target offering $50 GC on both, Kmart has Halo 3 game with elite bundle any price reduction especially for Modern Warfare one....any thoughts?

Edited by Stowasser

WTH is up with all the XBox deals being arcade versions???

It is driving me nuts! Not only do I think they are basically worthless unless you are spending even more money to get a hard drive but what about all those excited teen boys who want to play COD & Halo only to find out they really can't play everything??? How many parents don't know this and will think they are getting a great deal only to have disappointed kids? Even not counting online game play who wants to get really far in a game and not even be able to save it? I would think Walmart would have a had a good deal similar (maybe even better) to Kmart, but nope, they have the arcade version. So at this point I am either going to get it at Kmart....which I was hoping would come with COD:MW2 and not Halo, or hope for a good Amazon.com bundle deal.

Anyone have a 5 year old with a DS? If so what games do they play?

My son really has wanted one for about a year ever since his older cousin got one so we are buying one from another cousin who has gotten too old for it but her younger sister is keeping the games so I need to pick up some games for him and am having a hard time finding games that I think he can manage.

He has had a Wii for a year so he's pretty familiar with video games in general and he's played some racing games on his cousin's DS but I don't want to just get him all racing games. Plus he already has Mario Kart for Wii.

My son got his DS last year when he was 4. He really enjoyed the Go Diego Go and Wonder Pets games. This year he's getting the new Super Mario game,Sponge Bob Truth or Square, Club Penguin,the new Zelda game, and maybe this one from GameStop.com-http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75804

It really depends on his reading level, since there is alot more reading involved with the DS games. My ds reads extremely well and plays alot of his 14 y/o sister's games, too.

The MW2 bundle is everywhere. Best Buy advertised it last week.

I noticed the same thing about the Arcade version and wondered how many clueless parents are going to get that, thinking that it's the right thing. Heck, I probably would if my bf didn't steer me in the right direction! We have a tiny hard drive, but so far haven't needed to upgrade.

Where did you see the COD:MW2 bundle w/an extra controller??? If that has a hard drive at all I would want that one,lol. I really could care less about getting an "elite". DS14 has the 60GB one and has never had an issue.

It has a 250gb HD, 2 black controllers, headset and COD game for $399, its the Modern Warfare bundle versus the Elite bundle which is one controller and 2 games

so game worth $40-60 (depending on whether you got it preordered and GC with it)

extra controller $40-60 (depending on where you buy)

extra HD not sure worth or if needed but if the numbers work, might be worth the extra little bit

the extra games in the elite console (Pure and Lego Batman) hold no interest for my son so if could sell them could get $ back????

I too am up in the air about the Elite versus the COD bundle. I already bought the COD game at the special thing TRU had so I would have to return it, and then the gc I got would make it less $$ back I am sure, but the COD one still seems like a good deal. Ah, so many decisions.

I am dying trying to find a deal on Xbox..... =(

It has a 250gb HD, 2 black controllers, headset and COD game for $399, its the Modern Warfare bundle versus the Elite bundle which is one controller and 2 games

so game worth $40-60 (depending on whether you got it preordered and GC with it)

extra controller $40-60 (depending on where you buy)

extra HD not sure worth or if needed but if the numbers work, might be worth the extra little bit

the extra games in the elite console (Pure and Lego Batman) hold no interest for my son so if could sell them could get $ back????

I want to stick to the $299 price since it is for DS5's bday on 12/12.....I spent around that on the other 3 kids for their bdays too,lol. I am dropping my limit to $200 after this! lmao So I guess I will TRY to get the stupid Kmart one.....I wonder if I could trade in the Halo 3ODST for Modern Warfare? lol Unopened you can make even trades w/out a receipt....hmmmm.

I thought about it a lot last night and I think the COD xbox would really make my son super duper happy for xmas so I think I am leaning that way. Man if I could just find a deal on it. Even 10% off would be awesome. Maybe I can ask the electronics guy at Target today how hard it is going to be to score that one on BF....

I didn't read all the threads but did every one know the the DSI only plays' the small ds games so if you are like my son you have more bigger games from the advnce system then the little ones so this system would be a waste

Yes I knew that. DD has a DS Lite which she can use for any GameBoy advance games she has left. Dont think there are many she has left.

I thought about it a lot last night and I think the COD xbox would really make my son super duper happy for xmas so I think I am leaning that way. Man if I could just find a deal on it. Even 10% off would be awesome. Maybe I can ask the electronics guy at Target today how hard it is going to be to score that one on BF....

Just don't buy the arcade version or your son won't be as happy as you'd like,lol. The Walmart COD bundle is the arcade version!

Ok so after reading all these, I come up with the conclusion to get the DS Lite b/c they can play the Gameboy Advance games (which cousin has and will share :) and get them one game to start out with. Anyone disagree with this and think I should definitely get the DSi instead?? My children are eight and seven. The DSi actually come with 5 games preloaded, so I guess i am still thinking:g_think:

Price for DS Lite $98

Price for DSi $169.99 (w/$20 Target card and $10 GC) so really $139.99

Ok, I'm still a bit confused, what is the deal with the Kmart $25 gaming coupon for the WII? Is it a coupong for Kmart, nintendo.com or something? I totaly dont get it. Basicly I'm trying to figure out who has the final best deal on a Wii and acc., games ect. Its the main thing I'm after this BF and not sure where I should try to get it.

I think you will not see any console deals on BF. Probably should be looking now. Deepdiscount had the PS3 for $250 this weekend. $250 (shipped free) is an excellent deal for a game console + blu-ray player + netflix/dlna client.

I did not think you could stream Netflix on the PS3. Am I wrong?

Thanks.

WTH is up with all the XBox deals being arcade versions???

It is driving me nuts! Not only do I think they are basically worthless unless you are spending even more money to get a hard drive but what about all those excited teen boys who want to play COD & Halo only to find out they really can't play everything??? How many parents don't know this and will think they are getting a great deal only to have disappointed kids? Even not counting online game play who wants to get really far in a game and not even be able to save it? I would think Walmart would have a had a good deal similar (maybe even better) to Kmart, but nope, they have the arcade version. So at this point I am either going to get it at Kmart....which I was hoping would come with COD:MW2 and not Halo, or hope for a good Amazon.com bundle deal.

I'm confused about all this bashing of the Arcade. Other than the hard drive it is the same box as the elite. You won't get an hdmi cable or upgraded wireless controller (but you still get a lower grade wireless one). Why don't people think it won't play Halo. It plays it just fine. You just can't save many game plays with it since it only has a couple hundred meg of internal storage. If that becomes a problem, you can get an external drive for less than $100.

You can stream movies with the XBox using their Instant Watch choice. I know you can watch DVDs and BlueRays with the PS3.

And you can watch streaming movies too. I got the disk a few weeks ago. I put it in my PS3 (not an xbox) and stream movies.

I need some help. DS, who is 6, really wants a DS system. Since he is young and prone to doing silly things (his Leapster doesn't work anymore because he "washed" it when it was dirty recently), do you think I should buy a refurb unit from Gamestop or go ahead and get a new one. I'm liking the refurb price in case he does something unintelligent again, but I'm afraid of getting a lemon and wasting my money.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Just don't buy the arcade version or your son won't be as happy as you'd like,lol. The Walmart COD bundle is the arcade version!

Seriously, that's a bit overkill. My husband and I have the arcade version, we're avid gamers.. and it's just fine. It does everything the Elite does, it just does not come with a hard drive. It does have 256mb of internal memory for game saves (And that is enough for 2-3 games on one profile). Hard drives can be bought off of eBay for a dime a dozen. We got our 20gb hard drive for a whole $5.

I did not think you could stream Netflix on the PS3. Am I wrong?

Thanks.

Yeah, you're wrong. Not only can you stream netflix, you can stream media off PCs in your house that run a free PS3 media server. You can also watch online programming like hulu using a $30 program called playon (SDTV only for now).

If you're buying a console for your kids, find out what their friends are playing -- part of the fun is talking about the games you are enjoying and competing against your buds. If this is not an issue, look at the exclusive games. The WII has a lot of arcade games and get up and move games that appeal to youngsters whereas the other two appeal more to us couch potatoes who mostly want to shoot something.

If the exclusives don't sway you, the PS3 excels as an entertainment hub -- blu-ray, streaming media. The x-box can stream netflix too, but you have to pay a monthly fee to microsoft in addition to the fee paid to netflix. The WII is SD only, so it's not as good in this regard.

We've had a PS3 for more than a year and have no regrets.

I've seen the Mario and Brain Age bundles on BF ads Target, Best Buy, TRU, Game Stop (I think). I really want to get one for all 3 of my kids for Christmas. I will be shopping with my mom and sister, so if there is a limit per person, we can just each get one. What should I do to make sure I get all 3. I want 2 of the Mario bundles and 1 Brain Age bundle.

I'm willing to go out Thursday night late and pull an all-nighter, but I'm not going to miss out on Thanksgiving to wait in line.

What do you guys suggest? I have all of these stores within 20 miles of my house.

I've seen the Mario and Brain Age bundles on BF ads Target, Best Buy, TRU, Game Stop (I think). I really want to get one for all 3 of my kids for Christmas. I will be shopping with my mom and sister, so if there is a limit per person, we can just each get one. What should I do to make sure I get all 3. I want 2 of the Mario bundles and 1 Brain Age bundle.

I'm willing to go out Thursday night late and pull an all-nighter, but I'm not going to miss out on Thanksgiving to wait in line.

What do you guys suggest? I have all of these stores within 20 miles of my house.

For me I am hoping that BB will offer it online. They are not doorbusters as far as I can see so maybe they will be online. If so I am hoping to get one of the Mario bundles for DD11. TRU and Target are both doorbusters so I doubt they will be online. Gamestop I am not sure and are the giving gift cards with the purchase there or something else.

I also have some reward certificates to use up plus I will earn double points for buying from BB. ****Fingers crossed they will offer online on Thanksgiving****

Edited by racerfan
More Information

It really depends on what the size and location of town you're shopping in. I shop in a small-mid size town and Target is by far best bet for me personally if I was in your position. But I have never been to TRU or Gamestop on BF nor have I been to Best Buy when they open (usually an hour after). If you do Target, again depending on your town, I would line up by 3am. and with three of you guys going for it I think you should be fine.

It's a bit vague but hope it helps!