>>> Official Black Friday 2009 VIDEO GAMES Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Seriously, that's a bit overkill. My husband and I have the arcade version, we're avid gamers.. and it's just fine. It does everything the Elite does, it just does not come with a hard drive. It does have 256mb of internal memory for game saves (And that is enough for 2-3 games on one profile). Hard drives can be bought off of eBay for a dime a dozen. We got our 20gb hard drive for a whole $5.

120 Gb just sold on ebay for $58 with free shipping. If you got the Arcade at Walmart a couple of weeks ago for $199 with a $100 gift card, you could get the equivalent of a 120g Elite for $158. Pretty darn good deal.

ok I looked around for an official video game system discussion thread and didn't see it

Re: will I have looked and looked thru BF ads and my mind HURTS :eek:

Can someone tell me the very best deal/scenario for Wii system with our WITHOUT a free game/g.card/incentive/bundle for the black friday weekend

I am thinking I am missing something, but I thought I saw something good and can't find now... thanks..

Can you tell me how you can tell? The one I am looking at says "elite" it's this one:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=12517465

I am lost with these and need help so that I don't buy the wrong one.

Thanks!

That is an elite that you are looking at. Arcades are white, elites are black (or somtimes camo or silver or something else if you get a specially packaged xbox). There is no "wrong" one. There are advantages and disadvantages to both the Arcade (less expensive but no memory to store game plays) and the elite (more expensive but has an internal hard drive to save game plays). You can expand the Arcade through an external hard drive at less cost than buying an elite and have the same box. That's not much of a deal on the elite you're looking at IMO. Unless you are going to store tons of songs and videos on your xbox, you won't need a 250 Gb hard drive. Most folks who have a 20 Gb hard drive don't come close to filling it up.

What about the Radio Shack deal for the Xbox 360? Says $239 after rebate and 2 games. Anyone know details on the rebate or what games?

Looks like Pure and Batman Legos. These are the same games as many other package deals for BF. Don't know about the rebate other than what it says (mailed so you'll have to send in the receipt and proof of purchase and wait for the prepaid card). Hopefully it's not for RS use only. Still, not a bad deal and I doubt there's long lines at RS.

Another Nintendo DSI deal I've seen was 164 at Shoprite supermarkets. No bundled software as far as I can tell, but it will be a lot less crowded. Also, you *may* be able to get it on Thanksgiving day - a few years back I was able to get the BF DVD/VCR player a day earlier as the price was in the system.

I'm confused about all this bashing of the Arcade. Other than the hard drive it is the same box as the elite. You won't get an hdmi cable or upgraded wireless controller (but you still get a lower grade wireless one). Why don't people think it won't play Halo. It plays it just fine. You just can't save many game plays with it since it only has a couple hundred meg of internal storage. If that becomes a problem, you can get an external drive for less than $100.

You can't download maps or play certain parts of Halo 3 ODST. There are several other things I was told too by some college kids who are serious gamers. Why would you pay $200 anyway then another $60 or more when you can get an elite bundle w/Halo 3 ODST at Kmart on BF for $299?

It is your choice what you buy your kids but I personally know over 30 teenage boys and anyone of them will tell you they wouldn't want an Arcade Xbox360. I guess if their parents didn't have money and had to cut corners they'd be happy with anything though.

I wouldn't buy a hard drive on ebay either, I heard they are sellin banned/modded ones. Here is an article about it:

http://gadgetsteria.com/2009/11/12/microsoft-confirms-modded-xbox-hardware-banned-for-life/

Even as we speak, eBay and the second hand market as a whole is flooding with banned Xboxes for sale. Now we’ve got lawsuits just waiting to happen. How so?

Take a retailer like Game Stop, if a customer brings in a modded ‘box, Game Stop isn’t going to know or check for it. They’re just going to plug it in to the TV and check to see if it makes lights and sounds and it’s back to the shelf. I know I’d be pretty pissed if I bought a seemingly legit, used ‘box with intent of saving some dollars and got home only to realize it was hacked (a plus if I have or am acquiring a stash of free/copied games — bad if I ever want to play anything online.)

So in the end we’re right back where we started. A good idea on paper is sizing up to be a major headache for Microsoft and used game console retailers alike. For the sanity of us all, I hope said retailers start hooking up to the internet to make sure it’s a fully usable, used ‘box don’t you?

You can't download maps or play certain parts of Halo 3 ODST. There are several other things I was told too by some college kids who are serious gamers. Why would you pay $200 anyway then another $60 or more when you can get an elite bundle w/Halo 3 ODST at Kmart on BF for $299?

It is your choice what you buy your kids but I personally know over 30 teenage boys and anyone of them will tell you they wouldn't want an Arcade Xbox360. I guess if their parents didn't have money and had to cut corners they'd be happy with anything though.

I wouldn't buy a hard drive on ebay either, I heard they are sellin banned/modded ones. Here is an article about it:

http://gadgetsteria.com/2009/11/12/microsoft-confirms-modded-xbox-hardware-banned-for-life/

I think they are talking about consoles with mod chips installed being banned. I'm pretty sure you would be safe buying a used xBox hdd...

I think they are talking about consoles with mod chips installed being banned. I'm pretty sure you would be safe buying a used xBox hdd...

Yep, that's what they're talking about. There is no modded hard drive, just consoles.

The bottom line is, if you buy an Arcade, you can expand it, for less cost, to be like the Elite, except the hard drive is external. You can download anything you want and store it on the hard drive, just like the elite. I just didn't want folks getting scared that they bought the "wrong" xbox. If you buy the Arcade now, you can get the hard drive in less than a week shipped to your house if you buy off ebay. Plenty of time before Christmas.

The bottom line is, if you buy an Arcade, you can expand it, for less cost, to be like the Elite, except the hard drive is external. You can download anything you want and store it on the hard drive, just like the elite. I just didn't want folks getting scared that they bought the "wrong" xbox. If you buy the Arcade now, you can get the hard drive in less than a week shipped to your house if you buy off ebay. Plenty of time before Christmas.

I bought the arcade on Amazon with the $100 promo credit. I went on ebay and got a 20gb hard drive for $29 shipped. I think my boys will be thrilled!! I bought them Halo 3 ODST for Christmas :)

I bought the arcade on Amazon with the $100 promo credit. I went on ebay and got a 20gb hard drive for $29 shipped. I think my boys will be thrilled!! I bought them Halo 3 ODST for Christmas :)

To be fair to Jen, if you're paying full price for the Arcade, she is correct. It is probably worth it to go ahead and by the elite. However, as you point out, if you get the Arcade for $100, as many did from Walmart and Amazon, that is a much more cost effective way to go.

Not sure exactly where to post this, but I am thinking about getting my 11 yo the DSI bundle deal from amazon that I saw posted here. The only problem is I have 4 other kids along with myself that would love to play with it too. I can't afford more than one this year.

My question is can more than one person share and play with one dsi? I know there are some 2 player games, but is there more than one profile on the actual system that you set up?

Thanks in advance! :)

I do not know if this has already been asked because I was not lookin into one unitl now but has anyone seen a good deal on PS3 for Black Friday? Two of the gifts my DD wanted this year was the Tony Hawk Ride and Beatles Rock Band. I just found out today that both are in PS3 only not PS2. I would only be able to get it if I was to find a good deal on it but I am afraid it is still too new and I will not. If there are any good deals out ther on this please let me know. Thanks

So far, as far as I can tell from this thread, along with a lack of responses regarding PS3 deals, I guess there aren't any good deals out there for this system on BF?

I saw the bundle deals for $299 but I was hoping to see something that had the system itself at a cheaper price or at least have a rebate/gift card deal with it. Anyone seeing something along those lines?

For the DSi question - You can pass the DSi around.....really it is not worth $60 more than a regular DS though,lol. Some games you can make more than one profile while others you can not.

As far as PS3's I have only seen the one in the Walmart flyer. We don't have one and probably never will. Bluray seems like a pain(the rental section is very tiny & they usually cost more), the games are all for older kids mostly and boys mostly, and all of my DS14's friends have the 360 so that is who he plays online with.

So far, as far as I can tell from this thread, along with a lack of responses regarding PS3 deals, I guess there aren't any good deals out there for this system on BF?

I saw the bundle deals for $299 but I was hoping to see something that had the system itself at a cheaper price or at least have a rebate/gift card deal with it. Anyone seeing something along those lines?

Best Buy has a PS3 bundle for $300 that includes ratchet anc clank and little big planet. Use your Discover card to bring it down 12%. $264 seems like a good deal for the console and games.