>>> Official Black Friday 2009 HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

If you go to the BF ads here and click TVs, these two deals are on this site....

Sam's Club Hitachi 42” Widescreen 1080p LCD HDTV $598.00

Sears Zenith 42" Widescreen 720p Plasma HDTV $499.99

It is just my opinion, but I think the prices come down. I bought a 42" 1080P Sharp from Walmart on their Sat sale for $498. It was a great deal. Best Buy also had a matching offer on their Insignia. I get the feeling we see some price wars on these TVs. It is the only reason why the ads are being protected so well. The major retailers want to beat each other and draw the crowds.

I am looking for a 32 or 37 inch TV. I don't want a piece of junk, but am not really picky about brand names. I have three kids to by for and this is basically me and DH's present. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was hoping to stay in the $300 range (is that possible???)

Thanks for any help :)

Getting my first HDTV, leaning towards a Panasonic Viera 1080p Plasma in the 46"-50" range. The whole HDTV buying experience is new to me so I'm learning a lot. Getting an Xbox for my 7-yr old son (and me as well).

Personally, I hate shopping. If I could find a pre-BF deal at a great price then I'd save myself the hassle of dealing with the rest of the planet on BF. I doubt that will happen so I'm spending my time doing the research and keep my eyes out for the ads.

Just curious...have you chosen a tv? Size/resolution? I'm looking at TVs for my kids' bedrooms and the Vizio VO320e tops my shopping list. It's a 720p 32" lcd with a good price (as low as $339) and great reviews.

Consumer Reports says...

This 32-inch 720p (1366x768) Vizio delivers excellent picture quality and a fairly wide viewing angle at an especially low price, making it a CR Best Buy. Its sound was good, unlike its 37-inch sibling's, fine for typical TV programming.

ConsumerSearch.com describes it as the bese Budget 32-inch LCD TV.

1greenproduct.com says it only consumes 87 watts of energy (my kids never turn anything off).

This tv is on sale at sams club for $339 right now.

What is the difference between 60hz and 120 hz. Do I need 120? I'm planning on getting a

42" lcd hdtv.

hz stands for hertz and that's the name of the guy who did a lot of work on electromagnetism. Hertz means cycle and a 60hz tv refreshes the screen 60 times per second. A 120hz tv refreshes 120 times per second. Problem is that tv is 30hz and movies are 24hz, so 60hz sets are simply showing the same information twice and 120hz sets are showing the same information four times...in theory.

In reality, the faster sets cache two frames and create frames in between the two so that it appears that more frames are being shown and the motion seems smoother. Exactly how well each manufacturer pulls this off is what determines the price and quality of a set. It is entirely likely to see motion blur on a 120hz set and not see it on a 60hz set. AND the algorithms used to interpolate the frames may work better on one kind of programming (sports) than another. For this reason, you should use your eyes to judge a set playing any kinds of programming you are going to watch when you get the set home (movies and sports especially).

Alright, quick question for you all. I'm interested in the Samsung 50" 1080p Plasma at Sears for $899.99 for my brother. I know that Sears will be offering this one during their F&F night this Sunday. Question is with the F&F savings and all, can this be beat? I just want to make sure because I, myself, do not see a better deal on a 50" plasma (especially name brand) which my brother is interested in.

need a 46 inch 1080p tv 120 hz major brand no emprex or insignia crap. what is my best option?

Just as an FYI....Insignia, at least in the 42" class, it rated by Consumer Reports as one of the best and is there pick of the 42". Insignia across the board get's great ratings.

yes...... I think walmart is gonna blow everyone out of the water ........... So far target and staples are the "IT" places this year.... especially since BB has the WORST ad ever. I think walmart will easily beat target, BB staples and anybody else who tries to compete with them. Just my opinion

yes...... I think walmart is gonna blow everyone out of the water ........... So far target and staples are the "IT" places this year.... especially since BB has the WORST ad ever. I think walmart will easily beat target, BB staples and anybody else who tries to compete with them. Just my opinion

I sure hope so! BB has lost me to Target for this black friday, If Walmart has a better deal than Target on the TV I will most definitly be going to WM!!:D

Remember, BB had some deals last year that were not in the ad. They added them the night before if I remember correctly. BB could throw in a sub-$300 TV using their Insignia brand. Something to watch for. I also believe Walmart might do the same thing, they are notorious for undercutting everyone. I think they'd undercut God if they could :eek:. Amazon could get a $299 one also, but I don't know if they would go lower. We will see.

Some claim that W! will have a lot of TVs (2x32" TVs, 19" TV, 40" TV, 42" TV, 46" TV ). At this point, I am leaning towards sleeping in and shopping online. Discover has doubled their BB cashback to 10% (shop discover) and is giving 2% back on retail purchases. BB services what they sell and is good about price adjustments. We've had a Dynex 26" set for a year now and have no complaints. If W! has a good ad, it will be the only one and lines will be unbearable and lining up at product placements is not going to be fun.

Just curious...have you chosen a tv? Size/resolution? I'm looking at TVs for my kids' bedrooms and the Vizio VO320e tops my shopping list. It's a 720p 32" lcd with a good price (as low as $339) and great reviews.

Consumer Reports says...

This 32-inch 720p (1366x768) Vizio delivers excellent picture quality and a fairly wide viewing angle at an especially low price, making it a CR Best Buy. Its sound was good, unlike its 37-inch sibling's, fine for typical TV programming.

ConsumerSearch.com describes it as the best Budget 32-inch LCD TV.

1greenproduct.com says it only consumes 87 watts of energy (my kids never turn anything off).

This tv is on sale right now at sears for $349.99. Use your Discover card to get 5% cashback (start at the shop discover Sears link) PLUS 2% cashback (free sign up for 2% CashBack on any online shopping) for a final price of $325.50. Lots of favorable reviews at dell.com and walmart.com. There may be better prices on BF, but this is a great set with no lines and no hassles.

This, btw, is the same price as the Sears BF ad (not a door buster).

Happy shopping...len!

Edited by len_mullen

Saw earlier post about "buyer beware" with the westinghouse tv that target has in there black friday ad, could anyone elaborate on this issue because now i'm a little leery, ya know?

We got two Westinghouse 27" last year at Target (one for me and one for my parents) and neither of us have had any problems with them at all. I'll be upgrading to the 32" this year. I looked at reviews last year before BF and saw that some loved them and others didn't but I don't remember specifically what they didn't like about them. But my personal experience is that I like Westinghouse and have been happy with it up to this point.