>>> Official Black Friday 2009 HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

There is a differance in 70 120 & 240 even without Blueray. I don't even have high def satelite yet. I just got a new Sony 240hz 46XBR9 for $1200 & it blows my 70hz out of the water. Yes it was more money, but with the great deals stores have been running this month I couldn't pass it up.

As for theater in a box be cautious!!! The one I looked at was setup where if one part went bad you had to throw out the entire unit speakers and all. The Blueray could not be replaced on it's own if it broke. Parts were not available separatly, and could not be substatued for other parts. This was a Sony.

Yea, HDTV is my #1 Buy this black friday. I was looking at the Samsung LED Backlit 40" 1080p 120hz. Model number is UN40B6000, if you want to research. Now I've done alot of research and i'm still wondering how crazy the demand will be for these. Also the price, Really hoping it's less than $1500. If it's considerably less that means I get to also buy a ps3 :)

Is anyone else in the market for this TV? Or Can you give me some tips on what to expect on BF with TVs?

I have seen these for $600-$700 on a regular basis on bargain sites. I got one with a 1200w 5.1 htib for $930 *last* September. Panasonic and Samsung look great, Sonys look great too, but are more expensive, and Pioneer Kuros look best but are *much* more expensive. You don't need 1080p on a 50" tv unless you are going to use it as a computer screen.

My experience, lots of links, and lots of reviews (mostly from last year but still valid especially for 720p) here.

thank you for this! i think i might just go ahead and get my dh a 720 instead of 1080 for the bedroom to save a little bit unless i see one alot cheaper by BF.:yup:

ok so does anyone think we will see a 32" inch lcd tv for cheaper than 300 on BF or even a 37" inch or 40" inch do you think that there might be some cheaper than 400 in that range? This is the only big thing im looking for that day and im just trying to get an idea on what prices might be like?

I am wondering the same thing.

So far this seems to be the best deal.

Sears

Sony 32" Class LCD HDTV (Model KDL-32L504) - $379.99

Sylvania 37" LC370SS9 LCD HDTV - $399.99

VIZIO 32" ECO HDTV (Model VO320E) - $349.99

AOC 32" Full HD LCD TV - $379.99

K-Mart

Element 26" LCD HDTV (Model # 26LE30Q) - $249.99

Sony Bravia L Series 32" Class 720p LCD HDTV (Model # KDL32L504) - $379.99

More to come I'm sure

Is there anyone who has purchased a plasma in the past on BF? Are you happy with your choice?

i bought a 42 "PANASONIC plasma 2-3 years back at still works Fantastic btw have Phillips 37 lcd great and 32 " samsung very good and lov the speakers on the sides..great sound all from BB

So far this seems to be the best deal.

Sears

Sony 32" Class LCD HDTV (Model KDL-32L504) - $379.99

Sylvania 37" LC370SS9 LCD HDTV - $399.99

VIZIO 32" ECO HDTV (Model VO320E) - $349.99

AOC 32" Full HD LCD TV - $379.99

K-Mart

Element 26" LCD HDTV (Model # 26LE30Q) - $249.99

Sony Bravia L Series 32" Class 720p LCD HDTV (Model # KDL32L504) - $379.99

More to come I'm sure

You can get that Vizio right now for that price at Costco.com

I've read a lot of incorrect information in this thread regarding resolution and refresh rates. Let me explain:

720p/1080i are NOT two separate options. A 720p set will also display 1080i signals as broadcast.

The upgrade from this is to 1080p, which is the blu-ray resolution.

HD TV shows are displayed in either 720p (FOX, ESPN) or 1080i (ABC, NBC, CBS). Very few would notice any difference in quality between these two. I only notice a slight improvement when viewing sports broadcast in 1080i. It's not like you have any choice, it is dependent upon the source. Again, if you have a 720p set, it will also display the 1080i at the highest possible resolution.

If you think you'll ever hook up a blu-ray player, you want a 1080p set. If you don't have one, there's no real reason to have blu-ray either as your TV will be downgrading the resolution to its limited capacity (1080i). With blu-ray players available this year at under $150, you'll be getting one eventually!

When HDTVs first came out, they were all 720p/1080i. The next gen. became 1080p. It's almost like B&W and then color sets. For a time, you could get both, and B&W could be had for a song compared to color. But eventually, it would be ridiculous to buy anything but color.

It seems from the early signs this year that the big "deals" advertised are going to be on 720p sets. They're doing this because they can advertise a very low WOW price on an HDTV of a certain size. They will get a lot of takers on these, but mark my words that manufacturers won't be producing 720p max. sets much longer.

Now if you're just buying a smaller set for a bedroom or whatever, you can probably be pretty satisfied with one of these. But again, don't expect to hook up a blu-ray player to it and be impressed versus your DVD player.

As for refresh rate, 60Hz will allow you to notice some blurring, when watching sports mostly. 120Hz will all but eliminate the blurring. I don't see any need to spring for 240Hz.

Personally, I have a 1080p 120Hz 60" for my main TV and love it. Blu-ray is amazing, and HDTV satellite broadcasts are pretty darn good too. My secondary set is one I inherited and is a 720p 60Hz 32". My son watches it mostly and at 6 yrs old, certainly doesn't poo-poo it's shortcomings versus our main set! I do notice the blurring when we happen to have sports showing on it. What I'm hoping for this year is a great deal on a 46" or 50" 1080p 120Hz to replace this secondary TV, which I would move to our bedroom to replace a SD tube set. Yes, replacing any SD tube set with any HD resolution LCD would be an upgrade.

So, if you really just want a small bedroom or kitchen set, you'd probably be okay with one of the 720p sets advertised (stick to a "real" brand though, including Vizio). I would not recommend one for your main set though since you will end up disappointed WHEN you go blu-ray.

I've read a lot of incorrect information in this thread regarding resolution and refresh rates. Let me explain:

720p/1080i are NOT two separate options. A 720p set will also display 1080i signals as broadcast.

HD TV shows are displayed in either 720p (FOX, ESPN) or 1080i (ABC, NBC, CBS). Very few would notice any difference in quality between these two. I only notice a slight improvement when viewing sports broadcast in 1080i. It's not like you have any choice, it is dependent upon the source. Again, if you have a 720p set, it will also display the 1080i at the highest possible resolution.

If you think you'll ever hook up a blu-ray player, you want a 1080p set. If you don't have one, there's no real reason to have blu-ray either as your TV will be downgrading the resolution to its limited capacity (1080i). With blu-ray players available this year at under $150, you'll be getting one eventually!

When HDTVs first came out, they were all 720p/1080i. The next gen. became 1080p. It's almost like B&W and then color sets. For a time, you could get both, and B&W could be had for a song compared to color. But eventually, it would be ridiculous to buy anything but color.

It seems from the early signs this year that the big "deals" advertised are going to be on 720p sets. They're doing this because they can advertise a very low WOW price on an HDTV of a certain size. They will get a lot of takers on these, but mark my words that manufacturers won't be producing 720p max. sets much longer.

Now if you're just buying a smaller set for a bedroom or whatever, you can probably be pretty satisfied with one of these. But again, don't expect to hook up a blu-ray player to it and be impressed versus your DVD player.

As for refresh rate, 60Hz will allow you to notice some blurring, when watching sports mostly. 120Hz will all but eliminate the blurring. I don't see any need to spring for 240Hz.

Personally, I have a 1080p 120Hz 60" for my main TV and love it. Blu-ray is amazing, and HDTV satellite broadcasts are pretty darn good too. My secondary set is one I inherited and is a 720p 60Hz 32". My son watches it mostly and at 6 yrs old, certainly doesn't poo-poo it's shortcomings versus our main set! I do notice the blurring when we happen to have sports showing on it. What I'm hoping for this year is a great deal on a 46" or 50" 1080p 120Hz to replace this secondary TV, which I would move to our bedroom to replace a SD tube set. Yes, replacing any SD tube set with any HD resolution LCD would be an upgrade.

So, if you really just want a small bedroom or kitchen set, you'd probably be okay with one of the 720p sets advertised (stick to a "real" brand though, including Vizio). I would not recommend one for your main set though since you will end up disappointed WHEN you go blu-ray.

Wow I know you meant well, but they are plenty of mistakes in your post. First of all 720p and 1080i are TWO different resolutions. Now a 720p tv can take 1080i resolution and downscale it to its native 720p or a 1080i tv will upscale a 720p to match its 1080i panel.

Now in all honestly you will not notice a big difference between the two. 1080p and 1080i are the SAME resolution the only difference is that 1080p is progressive scan which updates the whole screen every frame, 1080i is interlace and updates half the screen every frame.

In layman's terms the 1080p will produce a slightly smoother picture(most people don't even notice) then on a 1080i set, the detail is the same on both resolutions. As far bluray is concerned it will look good on any hd tv whether its 720p, 1080i or 1080p. I've seen bluray on all hd tv resolutions and its stunning even on a 720p set.

What people don't realize is that its not the resolution that's most important, its also the quality of the set itself, I have seen a high quality 720p set look way better then on a low quality 1080p set.

My advice is to get the highest quality set you can afford this black friday. Don't worry so much about the resolution, when you get the tv home calibrate it and enjoy!!!

Edited by smooth3d

I never said that 720p and 1080i were identical resolutions. Re-read for comprehension. There are no "mistakes" in my post. Granted some of my post is my opinion, but that is clearly stated.

What I DID say is that TVs are not either 720p OR 1080i. They are one in the same. A 720p TV will display the 1080i resolution. You don't have to seek some phantom 1080i TV to display this resolution in full quality. Some posters were asking if they should pay more for a 1080i TV over a 720p TV and I was trying to explain that away. I think you possibly don't understand the concept I was trying to explain.

Also, you are incorrect that there is not much noticeable difference between 1080i and 1080p (unless that is just your opinion). While the resolution is in fact identical, progressive scan "paints" the picture twice as fast and therefore does produce noticeably clearer images (not opinion). While watching a blu-ray on a 720p may look nice, it's like driving a formula one race car on the highway - it will be cool, but you'll never really be able to appreciate it in that environment. I suppose if you didn't have anything to compare it to and therefore didn't know any better, you'd think it was as great as it could be. Just not so. A good upconverting DVD player would serve just as well on a 720p set and not require you to change your entire DVD collection for the minimal gain.

I also explained that my opinion on the need for 1080p is based upon it being your main, larger screen set and not so applicable to a smaller, secondary set. I stand by that, and you can easily find professional advice to this effect all over the net.

I don't find it very helpful just to tell people to get a "good quality set." What does that even mean? My advice is to get a "real" brand and choose 1080p if it will be your main (large) set. Otherwise, you'd be pleased with a low-priced, smaller screen 720p as a secondary set, especially if had at a really low BF price.

I never said that 720p and 1080i were identical resolutions. Re-read for comprehension. There are no "mistakes" in my post. Granted some of my post is my opinion, but that is clearly stated.

What I DID say is that TVs are not either 720p OR 1080i. They are one in the same. A 720p TV will display the 1080i resolution. You don't have to seek some phantom 1080i TV to display this resolution in full quality. Some posters were asking if they should pay more for a 1080i TV over a 720p TV and I was trying to explain that away. I think you possibly don't understand the concept I was trying to explain.

Also, you are incorrect that there is not much noticeable difference between 1080i and 1080p (unless that is just your opinion). While the resolution is in fact identical, progressive scan "paints" the picture twice as fast and therefore does produce noticeably clearer images (not opinion). While watching a blu-ray on a 720p may look nice, it's like driving a formula one race car on the highway - it will be cool, but you'll never really be able to appreciate it in that environment. I suppose if you didn't have anything to compare it to and therefore didn't know any better, you'd think it was as great as it could be. Just not so. A good upconverting DVD player would serve just as well on a 720p set and not require you to change your entire DVD collection for the minimal gain.

I also explained that my opinion on the need for 1080p is based upon it being your main, larger screen set and not so applicable to a smaller, secondary set. I stand by that, and you can easily find professional advice to this effect all over the net.

I don't find it very helpful just to tell people to get a "good quality set." What does that even mean? My advice is to get a "real" brand and choose 1080p if it will be your main (large) set. Otherwise, you'd be pleased with a low-priced, smaller screen 720p as a secondary set, especially if had at a really low BF price.

I'm not going to get in a argument over this, I'm a a/v tech with 10 years in the business, I have experience with LCD's, plasmas, dlp's, plus old school tube based rptv's. You giving your opinion as fact and you sir are wrong about tv resolutions. LCD and plasma tv's have a native resolution ether 720p or 1080p for most sets, hd tube based tv's are usually 1080i ( in fact a properly calibrated rptv still produce some of the best hd pictures beating most newer technology such as lcd and plasma)

Tv's have a built in scaler chip that will take a signal and ether up or downscale the resolution to mach the tv's NATIVE resolution. Under 50 inch class tv's, there is really no difference between 720p and 1080p. Now larger then 50 inch yes spring for a 1080p set which are usually at 1080p when you reach these size classes anyway.

As for as quality tv's let me give a example, the Panasonic VIERA 42" Class 720p 600Hz Plasma HDTV is of higher quality then the Insignia 42" Class 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV, both are on sale for 498.00 at Best Buy.

The 720p 600hz plama tv will produce a better picture then the 1080p lcd and produce better black tones. I can get more technical with plasmas hz rating versus lcd's hz ratings and refresh rates but I don't have the time to type all that out. Peace my brother;)

Edited by smooth3d

I'm not going to get in a argument over this, I'm a a/v tech with 10 years in the business, I have experience with LCD's, plasmas, dlp's, plus old school tube based rptv's. You giving your opinion as fact and you sir are wrong about tv resolutions. LCD and plasma tv's have a native resolution ether 720p or 1080p for most sets, hd tube based tv's are usually 1080i ( in fact a properly calibrated rptv still produce some of the best hd pictures beating most newer technology such as lcd and plasma)

Tv's have a built in scaler chip that will take a signal and ether up or downscale the resolution to mach the tv's NATIVE resolution. Under 50 inch class tv's, there is really no difference between 720p and 1080p. Now larger then 50 inch yes spring for a 1080p set which are usually at 1080p when you reach these size classes anyway.

As for as quality tv's let me give a example, the Panasonic VIERA 42" Class 720p 600Hz Plasma HDTV is of higher quality then the Insignia 42" Class 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV, both are on sale for 498.00 at Best Buy.

The 720p 600hz plama tv will produce a better picture then the 1080p lcd and produce better black tones. I can get more technical with plasmas hz rating versus lcd's hz ratings and refresh rates but I don't have the time to type all that out. Peace my brother;)

That's nice that you have 10 years of a/v tech experience. You still haven't said anything different than I did in the first place (BTW, I've been working in the display industry for a lot longer than that, as if that matters). That's exactly what I said in my OP: TVs are either 720p or 1080p - NOT 1080i. What part of that are you missing from what I said??? Where are you purporting that I am trying to pass off my opinion about resolution as fact? Also, that's exactly what I said about screen size. I think you need a few more years of experience in reading comprehension. You're also re-telling MY advice on choosing a name brand versus an off-brand. I happen to own a properly calibrated rptv, thank you very much, because I know where the best picture can be had. I'd appreciate if you'd stop stating that I am telling untruths, then restating exactly what I've already said as your truth. It's okay if someone out there knows something about HDTV too in spite of your vast experience...you don't need to feel threatened by it. All I'm trying to do here is clear up some basic confusion my fellow BF shoppers had on HDTV basics, and you come in and call me a liar while then regurgitating my own statements. All you are doing is possibly confusing people even more.

Bottom line shoppers is that there are two resolution options when purchasing: 720p and 1080p. There are three LCD refresh rates: 60, 120 and 240. Things to consider for purchasing would be screen size, then resolution, then refresh rate (and also brand). Read for yourself about resolution, screen size and distance from screen to help in your research. Don't just listen to me or the TV repairman.

http://carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

Boy you are catching feelings, I'm not trying to put you down by any means, as I said earlier I know you meant well, but couple of things you said was off.

Let me be clear: on a 720p set a 1080 signal will be downscaled to match the 720p native output of the panel, on a 1080i or 1080p set it will upscale a 720p signal to match its panel. lets agree to disagree and be friends, I think we have helped the masses enough!

Boy you are catching feelings, I'm not trying to put you down by any means, as I said earlier I know you meant well, but couple of things you said was off.

Let me be clear: on a 720p set a 1080 signal will be downscaled to match the 720p native output of the panel, on a 1080i or 1080p set it will upscale a 720p signal to match its panel. lets agree to disagree and be friends, I think we have helped the masses enough!

What were the couple of things I said that are off? I'm still waiting for that. Should people be seeking out 1080i TV's? That was my main point. Sorry if I find it annoying when someone hijacks what's supposed to be a helpful thread just to act like a big shot. I was just trying to be helpful to those who seemed to be in need of some general information on what's out there. This isn't the AVS forums after all.

Look I'm thru with this, I pointed it out 3 times you was wrong on how resolutions worked, You the who needs reading comprehension, I did not hijack anything, I enjoy being helpful to people as you do. You are the one who is throwing insults and names around. So pls just drop this cause you are catching internet feelings.

Well, it's not entirely accurate, but good enough for the average consumer I guess.

Basically, 720p and 1080i ARE two separate "options." If you watch a lot of 1080i content, you may want a set that has 1080i as it's native resolution. True, the vast majority of HDTVs (and I'd wager every single one manufactured today) will have no problem letting you view 720p and 1080i, but it'll end up either upconverting or downconverting at some point. If I was looking at multiple TVs at about the same price range, then I might worry about something like native resolution. Otherwise it's not a big deal in my book.

1080p is best, period. If you're upgrading from a non-HD TV, then you will be quite pleased with a set that has a native resolution of 720p (I'd say about half of broadcast HD you can watch is going to be 720p anyways, but I don't have exact figures).

Most fights can be avoided if people go to a local retailer and LOOK at televisions. Stand in front of a wall of TVs and you will quickly decide what looks best to you. If you watch tv from three feet away, stand that close. If your couch is ten feet away, back up a bit.

My eyes can distinguish between plasma and LCD at thirty feet -- as I walk up to the tv section from the side, it's easy to distinguish the LCDs because their color is washed out while the plasmas are still vibrant. This matters to me because we have a wide living room and people routinely sit at wide angles to the set.

From the front, it's getting more difficult to tell except that the LCDs that look like plasmas (especially when viewing sports) have much higher price tags.

I can distinguish between 1080p and 720p on a 50" set when I am about six feet away -- with my glasses on. Even then, that's all I'm doing -- distinguishing. The 720p still looks great. I can just tell the sets look different. As I walk closer, I can see that it looks better, and if I pause the picture, I can see the greater detail on the 1080p...but that's not how I watch tv, so that's not how I shop for TVs.

If I were buying a fifty inch set today, I'd still be shopping for a 720p Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, or Kuro. I'd still decide the Sony and Pioneer sets were too expensive. I'd still settle for a Samsung or Panasonic -- which ever set was less expensive.

It's helpful to do research to narrow the field, but, in the end, it is your eyes and ears that enjoy TV. Decide for yourself how little TV will make you happy and don't worry about the experts.

Well, it's not entirely accurate, but good enough for the average consumer I guess.

Basically, 720p and 1080i ARE two separate "options." If you watch a lot of 1080i content, you may want a set that has 1080i as it's native resolution. True, the vast majority of HDTVs (and I'd wager every single one manufactured today) will have no problem letting you view 720p and 1080i, but it'll end up either upconverting or downconverting at some point. If I was looking at multiple TVs at about the same price range, then I might worry about something like native resolution. Otherwise it's not a big deal in my book.

1080p is best, period. If you're upgrading from a non-HD TV, then you will be quite pleased with a set that has a native resolution of 720p (I'd say about half of broadcast HD you can watch is going to be 720p anyways, but I don't have exact figures).

While 720p and 1080i are two separate options for broadcasting, they are not two separate native resolutions on today's TV sets. When shopping, you're going to find native resolutions of either 720p or 1080p and the sets will upscale/downscale accordingly. I didn't want shoppers to think that there is some set in between 720p and 1080p when looking for deals. What's called a 720p/1080i-capable TV will have a native resolution of 1366×768, 1280×720 or 1024×768. For a higher native resolution, you have to go to 1080p, a.k.a. 1920x1080 (this is not native 1080i). Just about everything being broadcast in HD is either 720p or 1080i, which can both be taken "full" advantage of on a "720p" set. It seems that more is in 1080i, but again, having a 1080 native resolution alone isn't going to do anything for you on that versus 720. Directv broadcasts some PPV movies in 1080p, but I haven't come across anything else that does (and therefore would look better on a 1080p set versus a 720p set).

I am looking for an 52 inch lcd tv. I will use it primarly for just tv's and movies, no sports, no gaming. I am looking at 120gh refresh rates and have it narrowed down to Sony, Panasonic, samsung or sharp. Any reccomendations on what stores to be looking at and or tv's. I am hoping I can pick one up for about 1000 but we shall see. I have a 52 inch projection tv now and I don't want to go smaller

thanks

Do you think that the Vizio's at Sams is a good buy?

42" 1080p, 120 hz - $698 (no shipping cost). The BF ad does not have a 42" advertised. Thanks for the help

Yes it looks great if it is the one I saw. I was there last Friday and my wife wants one for the bed room.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=437813&pCatg=13308

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=427448&pCatg=13308

I like the one with the I-Pod built into the front. But that is just me. :smart: