December birthdays

orangedaisy

Do you or anyone close to you have a birthday in December, close to Christmas? My son, stepdaughter, sister, and husband all have December birthdays. :eyepoppin December is by far the busiest month of the year for us! How do you handle it? It's makes things complicated, doesn't it!

As far as the kids, when they were younger, we always had a party for them usually the week before Christmas. Now that they're older, we just have a cake with immediate family and a gift totally separate from Christmas. I remember my husband used to wrap my stepdaughter's birthday gifts in Christmas paper and I gave him such a hard time, lol!! I hated that. But they both say they never felt cheated because of Christmas, which is good since we did go out of our way to try to make their bday's special. My sister claims she felt slighted many times as a kid by people saying the gift was for her birthday and Christmas.

This year is the first time I'm actually giving my son a gift that's a "combination" gift. The only thing he wants for Christmas is the Apple MacBook, and that's a lot of money for me to drop on one gift. So he said I could give it to him as a combo gift for his bday and Christmas - wasn't that nice of him! :rolleyes: But it is his 18th birthday which is a big one, so I guess I'll find a way to give him the one thing he really wants. And he can use it when he goes to college which makes it an even better idea.

My Mother's birthday is Christmas Day....we always do Christmas in the morning and later that evening we did Birthday along with a birthday cake and presents wrapped in birthday paper, one of my pet peeves was wrapping a birthday present in Christmas paper...

My oldest nephew's birthday is the 5th of Jan. Love that cause you could hit all the after Christmas sales for his present

both of DH's grandma's bdays are Dec 18, gpa's are Nov 12/Dec 8, niece is Dec 28, and then we have 2 sisters, a brother, 2 sons, and a nephew in Jan...

We do our sons bdays (5th/14th) on the weekend closest to the 14th to give them more time after Christmas and we make sure to buy them something totally different than anything they got for Christmas to try to make it more exciting for them.

Our niece on the 28th of Dec always gets the marked down makeup/bath sets from the half off sales. I bet that gets really old really fast... she will be 13 this year so I am considering getting her something that goes along with the age to make it "fun".... like 13 small items or a 13.00 gift card.... or something silly cause her mom insists on doing it ON her bday so it doesn't mess up Christmas or New Years.... and I think she gets "cheated" cause she gets cheesy gifts from the makeup/perfume and whatever else "girly" that happens to be left over.

And I can't stand things being wrapped in Christmas paper for the 2 gmas or her... drives me crazy.... and one of the gmas will complain too... said she never got anything growing up unless it was for "both" but her sisters got just as much for Christmas as she did for a combo so she likes it separate and you better NOT deliver it the same day as the Christmas gifts either... lol

My youngest sons (he will be 5 this year!) birthday is December 12th and mine is the 16th. My brother-in-law's is the 28th. While growing up I always felt slighted to some degree with the combo present. I think this is why I always make sure my son's birthday is completely seperate from Christmas. Also, by having him so close to mine I found that I completely forget about my birthday because I want him to have so much fun with his. As for my brother-in-law it varies year to year. This year it will be a combo gift card as he is currently stationed in Baghdad. Previous years were usually always seperate gifts.

Oh and the gift wrapping does matter.....it always matters! People wouldn't do Easter egg paper for someone with an April birthday so why do they do Christmas just because it is December.

My DS birthday is 12/21 we have always done separate for him. We used to have his bday party sometimes in October just to give him a separation This year he is asking for a laptop so Grandpa is doing the combo bday/xmas for it and we are adding the difference for his Bday. We got him a laptop which was $649. My BIL birthday is January 6th so he prefers gift cards so we get him the combo gift card of bday/Xmas. Other them we dont have anyone else near the holidays.

I have 4 kids so December is hard enough but DS4 & DS13 also have December birthdays,lol. One is 12/12 & one is 12/28. It stinks but thank goodness DH gets a Christmas bonus so that helps. It doesn't help that somehow I end up raising my spending limit I set for birthdays every year. It was $100 each kid for and somehow went up to $250. I also use to spend around $100 on each of them for Christmas and now it's around $600 each. I guess they are getting older and things are getting more expensive.

I feel badly for all of you. I have 3 cousins born in December...

It is sooo freaky because after dinner I was actually thinking of beginning a thread about JANUARY b-days, I come on here and find this thread. ;)

My son is exactly 1 month AFTER Christmas. Every time we have had a party he has gotten lousy presents....

What is worse than b-day presents that are wrapped in Christmas paper?

How about b-day presents that were other kids' Christmas present!

I am sure 85% of any presents he got at kids parties were re-gifted things from their Christmas booty.

Almost everyone one without a receipt or gift voucher.

For the past 10 years.

One clue I caught on to was that none of the parents ever said "What does he really want? or what size does he wear?"

They don't ask because they know they'll unload their own son's unwanted CD or DVD...

I realize I may sound snobby or something, but I am not, please know that I never give a gift that I wouldn't want to receive myself. And it has nothing to do with some of these families suffering financially because I could totally understand that situation.

Believe me I have tried returning or exchanging--usually with no luck. He could never understand why he'd get such lousy gifts. Made him very sad. He'd say, "Mom we got Tony that nice Wii game and all he gave me was a calendar"

I must ad this point too. It is very hard to find gifts for him. Many shelves are bare after Christmas...and the stores do inventory, so things don't get restocked.

Oh sure I learned, I now buy his b-day gifts while I Christmas shop-because I know nothing will be left to pick from. And so I could see if maybe someone did look for something for him and found nothing good--but then they could just get him a gift card.

I have given thought about having his party either 1 month early or 1 month late, but DH NEVER wanted to even consider it. :(

I know 1 month early is too close to BF... but if it were 1 month late, that'd give stores time to get more things in--and just maybe "Tony" would pass his unwanted gift onto the goodwill or a charity.

Ok I'll be quiet.

My DD's bday is dec 14 thank goodness for a scheduled c-sect or she most likely would have been born Christmas day! Poor kid never has had a real bday party NO ONE can come because it is so close to Christmas! This year we have renting out the mini golf place...it is the big 1-0 for her! Double digits and if no one comes then we will still have fun! I feel she has been jilted and have thought about doing 1/2 birthdays and having a party in June for her instead! BUT I haven't done that yet, although if the indoor mini golf doesn't go over well next month I might try a pool party in June for her!

My DD's birthday is Dec 24th.....She will be 7, we usually have a birthday cake for her that night, she (right now) thinks it's very cool to have that day also be her birthday. My brother is the only one who combo's her gift, cheap-o....LOL everyone else is really good about it. She loves Christmas so much that I feel she doesnt mind her birthday always being christmas eve. A kid party is the tough part, because most of her friends go away for the school vacation, and are far too busy the weekends leading up to Christmas, so she may have to wait untill after New Years for that.

My wife is a twin, born on Dec. 30th. We always celebrate Christmas with her entire family on the weekend after Christmas Day. This usually means Christmas, New Year's, birthday all on the same weekend. At least there's a built-in party.

My DS will be one on Dec. 20th. If it weren't for the planned C-sect, he'd possibly be a Christmas baby, too. When he's older, we'll probably do what some good friends do. Throw a party the first week of December before it gets crazy, then a small something to honor the actual day.

My husbands birthday is on Dec. 22nd. What makes it more difficult is he's so hard to shop for.

Isnt into anything, wants nothing. And if I do get a really cool gift, do I save it for Bday or Chrmas?

(usually pick Chrmas). He feels really bad about ppl having to acknowledge his BD cuz he knows everyone

is busy and its another gift to buy. :( But never ever wrap in Christmas paper!! I wouldn't do that anyways.)

Now that his kids are grown we usually get together for a dinner a week or so before, but he even feels bad doing that.

I don't have a Birthday in december but It does sometimes land on thanksgiving and because of this I woul always, well when I got a one, have a cake with a turkey on it. There were a few years when I was a teenager though that because of the big bird day I did not even get a happy Birthday.

DS12 & DD7 are Jan 2, & 3rd...We always have a family party for them on one of the days, we rotate the day each year to make it fair, well as fair as it can be;) Then later on in January they each get their own indivisual parties w/ friends after the holiday stuff is out of the way..so far no complaints from them!!:)

My birthday is December 24th and so is my SIL, i am just 1 year older than her. I have always received birthday gifts wrapped in xmas paper and my MIL buys me christmas decorations for my birthday..... just gives them to me a couple weeks early so i can decorate with them.

as a kid, we would receive 6 gifts for xmas and 3 of mine would be counted as for my birthday, yet all wrapped in holiday paper. I am going to be 29 this year so as i have gotten older, it doesnt bother me as much, but sometimes i wish i had a birthday that didnt fall around a major holiday.

my DD was born on thanksgiving day, 2002(november 28th). this year her bday is on BF and my DS was born on december 7th, so this time of year is very hectic for us not only with the holidays but with birthdays as well. My DD had her party yesterday even though her birthday isnt for a couple weeks yet and for DS we will do something small at the house and take in the christmas parade downtown as he will only be 2 this year.

my cousin birthday is December 4th and she has a party every year, and it drives my aunt nutz when people show up with presents in christmas paper, so 2 years ago she started having a christmas themed birthday party which was fun, but i still think it takes away from the "birthday" aspect.

My son's b-day is Dec 31, New Years Eve. I thought it would be nice to be able to get the after Christmas deals, but it's so hetic, that I usually end up buying most of his gifts before Christmas. But then I have to figure out what is for Christmas and what is for birthday. B-day gifts are always wrapped in b-day paper, except for one year my son was into some action figures and the only paper I could find had them and snowflakes. Not completely Christmas, but not b-day, so I used it. He was younger and didn't mind, was too excited to see the figures on the paper.

My nieces b-day is at the beginning of December and DH's is at the end of November.

Mine is in November and usually gets pushed aside. I've learned to live with it ( whimper lol)

Same here, except mine is Dec 12. Growing up IF I got presents, they were usually "combo" presents given at Christmas.

To top it off, my oldest sister got married on my 1st birthday, so my birthday has never been "my day".

Now, after 39 years, I just try to ignore the birthday alltogether.

My oldest is January 9th. So she never really gets to have a great party as most kids are just returning from vacations or are on vacation. We implemented the party or one big present rule a couple years ago and that has worked well as she usually goes for a big ticket item and then we don't have to feel bad about no kids coming to a party.

My Mother's birthday is Christmas Day....we always do Christmas in the morning and later that evening we did Birthday along with a birthday cake and presents wrapped in birthday paper, one of my pet peeves was wrapping a birthday present in Christmas paper...

My oldest nephew's birthday is the 5th of Jan. Love that cause you could hit all the after Christmas sales for his present

My birthday is the 5th too.. I hated that as a kid..usually the day we returned from christmas break! Most years everyone in the house was sick too so never much celebrating. I remember one year my mom baked a cake and put one of the big christmas flower candle holder thingies on it!! It was just laying around and all! My husband thinks that is why my little girls party is always such an event!