Need help with Rude Guest

buckaboo21

Holiday get togethers have always been held at my house. Last year I had one guest (family) who acted rude IMO. At the end of the evening I was putting away food. First the person asked for leftovers (I usually pack up some anyway but I didn't like being asked) then after me packing some the person says that there wasn't much there?!? I was shocked! Any ideas on how to deal with this?

Well, depending upon who the guest is, as is if it is a close family member like a mother/father/brother, etc. I would probably have a different reaction than if it is just an acquaintance or a family member that is not close, however, if someone asked me for leftovers, I would just reply with something along the lines of "IF (with the emphasis on IF) I decide to give out leftovers, you will get some, but I am not guaranteeing anything, nor any amount". Now, this is just me, however I wouldnt just succumb to anyone's requests or rude comments when they were at my house eating my food.

Assume ahead of time that you will be providing leftovers for guests to take home and cook accordingly. I don't see anything wrong with someone asking, I always make enough so that everyone else doesn't have to cook the next day either. Be glad that they think your cooking is so good that they want leftovers.

Ok, so if it is a close family member, my next thought would probably be to make a joke out of it. "Dad, I know the huge spread of turkey and 15 side items that I put out for dinner, combined with the 5 types of cakes and pies weren't enough to fill you, but I will give you whatever I can to take home." :tongue1:

Ok, so if it is a close family member, my next thought would probably be to make a joke out of it. "Dad, I know the huge spread of turkey and 15 side items that I put out for dinner, combined with the 5 types of cakes and pies weren't enough to fill you, but I will give you whatever I can to take home." :tongue1:

CUTE!

We do not do holidays at our house. We are always going to other family members houses. I don't think anyone gets leftovers nor does anyone ask to take some home. Sometimes there might be someone who offers people to take food home since there might be tons left or something. Unless it was my mom making food and I really wanted to take some home I wouldn't ask for leftovers. I'm not going to my aunts and uncles and my boyfriends family asking them for leftovers. I don't expect the people cooking to make enough so everyone could have leftovers. I would just tell them if there is any left I would make them a plate to take home and if they complain it wasn't that much then say sorry thats all I had and I have to give others a plate too.

Wow buckaboo, that was RUDE! :mad: They ALREADY were invited to your home and given what I am sure was a delicious, adequate meal--what nerve.

I am guessing that this person is NOT someone close to you--or else they'd not said it--or they would say it jokingly and it would not bother you.

Sounds like a more distant relative. Someone who doesn't really care about your feelings.

I can spot the type, I have my own to deal with:

I have relatives-in-law and they think they have a RIGHT to grab birthday cake or desert whenever they come over. For example Maggie and Bob will be invited, but she had to work or Bob was sick so Maggie's mom will go and cut her a piece of cake--a GIANT one, mind you, enough to feed 3 adults--put it on a plate and actually cover it with the foil!

This has happened at least 5 times. Only one time she actually ASKED.

What makes her feel she has the RIGHT to do this? I don't know!

Meanwhile, FYI, 1/2 the time Maggie doesn't even send a gift for my kid.

From now on I whisk the "extra" cake away as soon as I can--without looking like a maniac, explaining that I don't want my kids sticking their hands (or toys) in it.

She has caught on--and once she still snuck a piece to take--I am surprised she didn't bring her own Foil and stuff it in her purse!

I understand wanting to be tackful and not hurt anyone's feelings.

What about if you say - Name, when we serve the leftovers for a meal I'll give you a call.

Chances are they won't want to come another day.

We used to go to my aunt's and she saved containers to send leftovers home with everyone. Now that she has passed my cousin prepares the turkey, everyone brings the rest. She never sends home leftovers. But you do get to take home your original container clean.

LoL Scanner.

Does everyone invited bring a dish for the holiday meal? If not why not start. If everyone brings a dish tell them there are going to be X amount people here. Will you bring Green Beans etc. Have everyone bring a side then you still do the meat, rolls etc. Then everyone can take their own leftover's home etc.

when we do our big dinners....we ALL bring food....mil cooks the main things...turkey,mash tators rolls......and we all bring all the sides....she always hollers take you all some home ....we just always go back down later that night to eat again...we live next door...lol.....if you dont bring anything I dont think you should take a plate home with you...but I do know what you mean...there are a some in dhs familie that do that and they are not bashful about jumping right in there and getting a plate full to take...lol

My sister is coming for Thanksgiving this year. She is rude. I don't think she realizes it, but everyone else does. I just try to ignore it while she is there and then complain to DH after she has left.

I encourage people to take home food though. After I spend all of 2 days cooking it, I'm tired of looking at it.

We have a family friend who is invited everything..birthdays, holidays, and 1 time she brought her own containers, because she said that the foil pans didn't make it home. Well we almost fell over, so what we do is either make less or we have said that this is our dinner for the next couple of days. Well you would have thought i said i was throwing it away. Needless to say she got the hint and never asked again. We always make a joke about it when some holiday is coming up

I have a cousin like this. She is single and doesn't cook. Last Christmas, we had prime rib. She filled 1/2 her plate with enough for 5 people. I made her put some back. I politely told her that she was welcome to take home one plate, but not everything.

And the comment that you should have made about their not being much to chose from:

Yeah - I'm a great cook, aren't I? Everyone loves my food!

Shoot, I'm usually begging guests to take food home after dinner, I'm usually sick of turkey by the time I get to the cleaning it off the bone part and just want it gone and don't much care who takes it. LOL Quite frankly I start making various packages when I get it all back into the kitchen anyway, perhaps that is the way to handle it..when you get it all back int hekitchen just start making up care packages and tell them when they leave their doggie bags are ready.

I'm a former military wife and kinda got used to cooking for an Air Force lol we always had the single guys that were pretty far from home with no family around over for all the holidays. I always made them stuff themselves then they always took enough for a couple days home with them. At first they always tried to bring something but they were eating at my house for a reason they couldn't cook much of anything so they just brought the beer and soda. Now that I'm remarried and my family is a little bigger we still have people over just now it's family and some close friends and they still take enough for a couple days. I'd just tell them "my family needs to eat too and after all this I don't want to cook for a couple days". Or just refuse to give leftovers at all. I'll never get why people are so greedy around the holidays

I have the same problem with my inlaws. They have come over the last couple of years after they have eaten dinner somewhere else and come eat a second dinner and have dessert at my house. Then they want to take more home. My dh never says no. It really irritates me. :mad: I always look forward to my BF turkey sandwich and haven't got to have it the last two years. This year his SIL invited herself to spend Thanksgiving with us. It wouldn't be so bad but it's her, her bf, their 4 kids, and her nephew! Oh yeah, and youngest brother is living with her so he's coming too! They plan on coming Wed. night and leaving Sat. morning. I don't have room for all these people!!! We tried to get out of it, but she didn't take the hint. Talk about rude!! :eyepoppin

I'm glad my family doesn't mind that I bring my own empty containers to take leftovers home in. :D

(and before I get a "oh my god how rude", my sister insists you take leftovers home, and over the years it just became easier to take my own gladware to transport leftovers home, than to try and transport paper or foam plates covered in foil. She purposely makes enough that anyone that wants leftovers can take leftovers.) ;)

I have the same problem with my inlaws. They have come over the last couple of years after they have eaten dinner somewhere else and come eat a second dinner and have dessert at my house. Then they want to take more home. My dh never says no. It really irritates me. :mad: I always look forward to my BF turkey sandwich and haven't got to have it the last two years. This year his SIL invited herself to spend Thanksgiving with us. It wouldn't be so bad but it's her, her bf, their 4 kids, and her nephew! Oh yeah, and youngest brother is living with her so he's coming too! They plan on coming Wed. night and leaving Sat. morning. I don't have room for all these people!!! We tried to get out of it, but she didn't take the hint. Talk about rude!! :eyepoppin

Desperate times call for desperate measures;

Tell your DH that he has to tell them that they are not invited and or they can not stay for 4days and if he doesn't do it you will be cutting him off from any lovin until after the holidays.

Tell the family that you came down with the flu and it just isn't possible for them to stay.

Send them a list of hotels in the area complete with prices and contact information.

Good luck!

I do think its rude for someone to take advantage of your good nature and generosity.

Tell your family member that you'll be serving your left overs for dinner tomorrow since you slaved over the meal in the hot kitchen all day and because of this you do not plan on cooking tomorrow.

I always cook enough to plan for leftovers for family members to take home. My FIL and BIL live alone and I at least get the satisfaction of knowing they will have decent, healthy-ish meals for a few days after. That said, both my SIL's get food to take home as well as do my nieces and nephews (even when they don't show up my SIL's take stuff to them) and all in my freshly purchased Gladware. I like doing this.

Now that said, my SIL hosts Thanksgiving and never does a leftover get sent home with us. This same SIL is the one above that gets leftovers from our house. She will send me home w. whatever is left of what I made but that is all. NO turkey, nothing but what I made (broccoli casserole and 2 desserts usually). In the past I have made stuffing at my house just to keep and have there so that I have some sort of leftover action post holiday.

I think I am going to post a note on the community BB of the ederly stating if you want Left5 overs from our Thanksgiving you must bring something at the time of the dinner for us to give you a doggy bag, as some one always takes everything out of the fridge and there is never any for any one else.

I like this idea