Any dolls like American Girl dolls?

My daughter (4 years old) has mentioned wanting an American Girl doll and some accessories. The prices are outrageous!! :eyepoppin I dont think that she plays with dolls enough to warrant buying a doll that expensive. However, if she keeps asking for one, I may get something like it.

I know that Target has the My Generation dolls. Does anyone know if they are decent quality? And is there any other dolls that are similar to American Girl but cost less?

The Target doll is the closest, and I've seen the accessories on sale for 24.99, which tells me that the dolls will probably be on sale at somepoint during The Season. Just so you know, 4 yr old girls generally don't play with dolls all that much. They do play with them, though. They'll play for a week or two, and then won't touch them for months. They don't really start until 6-8 yrs. Until then, spend as little as possible. It's just not worth it!

I second that, the My Generation dolls are great and come with the same type of book as the American Girl dolls....my girls didnt get an American Girl doll until this year and they are 10 and 13, but I was able to pick them up on Easy Pay on QVC!!!

I agree with Peggbt, I got my daughter her first AG doll for this christmas and she is 7 1/2, she has just in the last yeared started playing with the dolls, before she just carried them around and they got really dirty. I would def hold off on the AG dolls until she is old enough to truly appreciate/take care of them. The our generation dolls are a definite alternative, but even those are 40-50.00. I would wait until they go on sale or check ebay for a cheap 18" doll.

My step daughter wanted an AG doll as well last year and I bought her one of the Our Generation dolls from Target. I told her to treat it as though it were an AG doll and then we would think about getting one the year after. The dolls do hold up well, the only downside to them is their hair gets all knotty and funky so if you get one from Target it is best to leave their hair alone for as long as possible. My step daughter took the hair do out right away but brushes it all the time so it has stayed pretty well. The AG dolls are well worth the price but i would wait till your daughter gets a few years older before getting one.

check out the new 18" play dolls from Madame Alexander at ToysRus. They are really adorable and probably are made well since I trust that brand. They were selling them for $24.99 the last time I checked. Probably about 6 different varieties/ethnicities and cute clothing too.

:)

ETA: yes, here they are, and free shipping right now too. Scroll down to see a few others...

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?sr=1&kwCatId=&origkw=madame+alexander&s=D-ReviewRating-TRUS&kw=madame+alexander&f=Taxonomy%2FTRUS%2F2254197&view=all

http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pG01-4841936_alternate1_reg.jpg

http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pG01-4842200reg.jpg

Edited by cokemeyer

They have the Madame Alexander dolls at Costco too. The Madame Alexander version is a much higher quality than the Target version of the AG. My DD spent her own money to buy a table and chairs that literally fell apart with very minimal use at Target. I think that the Target stuff is very cheaply made compared to American Girl, but don't invest in AG until you think your daughter will appreciate the AG dolls.

My step daughter wanted an AG doll as well last year and I bought her one of the Our Generation dolls from Target. I told her to treat it as though it were an AG doll and then we would think about getting one the year after. The dolls do hold up well, the only downside to them is their hair gets all knotty and funky so if you get one from Target it is best to leave their hair alone for as long as possible. My step daughter took the hair do out right away but brushes it all the time so it has stayed pretty well. The AG dolls are well worth the price but i would wait till your daughter gets a few years older before getting one.

So I take it that AG dolls have hair that's more manageable? I'm hoping so, my girls are getting their first ones this year.

So I take it that AG dolls have hair that's more manageable? I'm hoping so, my girls are getting their first ones this year.

definitely, my older daughter who is 12 sleeps with her AG doll every nite in her bed and probably brushes the hair once a month and it always comes out looking like when she got it. we do have the AG doll hair brush too. I think the AG dolls are definitely worth the money.

Thanks for the information! My 4 year old is my oldest, so I didnt know that a lot of little girls go through a doll age as they get a bit older too. I'll definitely be waiting on the AG doll, as I would want her to take very good care of it. She's excellent at taking care of her toys now anyways.....she doesnt let her stuffed animals get dirty/messed up at all......but I just dont think she'll play with it enough to justify spending that much. I will probably try to steer her away from any AG-type of doll, but if she's absolutely adamant that's what she'll be asking Santa about, I'll definitely look into some of these links. Thanks so much!

We have a local store where you can go make the doll. You pick hair head type. They were only 50$ and the experience was neat. We did it for same reason she wants AG but June hasn't left the high chair she was sat in probably 8-10 months ago doesn't make me want to drop the cash for a high chair mate for her from AG. DD is 7.5 but is just NOT a doll kinda girl. She dresses up her webkinz more then a doll. Same thing with barbie. She rarely takes them out of case but LPS is played weekly. So I do think the age thing for doll may be subjective. If your DD is very "mommy" then she may be ready for it before 7-8.

check out the new 18" play dolls from Madame Alexander at ToysRus. They are really adorable and probably are made well since I trust that brand. They were selling them for $24.99 the last time I checked. Probably about 6 different varieties/ethnicities and cute clothing too.

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?sr=1&kwCatId=&origkw=madame+alexander&s=D-ReviewRating-TRUS&kw=madame+alexander&f=Taxonomy%2FTRUS%2F2254197&view=all

Darn no Asian dolls, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised AG finally came out with the first Asian in it's line this year (Julie's BF Ivy). I guess it's AG for my 12 year old this Christmas.

Darn no Asian dolls, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised AG finally came out with the first Asian in it's line this year (Julie's BF Ivy). I guess it's AG for my 12 year old this Christmas.

DD is not Asian but my oldest is Central American and I know what you mean about trying to find dolls that match your child's look. Do you already have the Corolle Asian dolls? My daughter has 2 of them them and they are really pretty, but I guess they are probably for much younger girls than your DD.. I say write to these companies who don't make Asian dolls and ask - why?

Actually, American Girl has had an Asian doll in their Just Like You Collection for several years now. My younger DD has one.

http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/html/ProductPage.jsf/itemId/1022/itemType/DISPLAYGROUP/webTemplateId/3/uniqueId/86/saleGroupId/127

My DD (10) is getting her first AG doll for Christmas this year and her younger sister 5 is getting the bitty baby from AG. I told the 5 yo if she does ok with bitty baby that next year she can ask Santa for the Twins but that she can't have AG doll until she is 10 like her big sister. My girls play with dolls all the time but I totally think the younger one does because the older one is right into it!

AG is having some online deals right now, doll, accessories, book and an extra outfit for $124 or $128 can't remember right now and the bitty baby changing set is on sale right now too. I have picked up a few things on there that are on sale for the girls for Christmas....there is a code $10 off $30 that I have used many times! There was also a post in Freebies about an AG doll stand for 7.99 or 6.99 (pay shipping and handling only) which I just got in the mail the other day from AG.

Looking forward to our American Girl/Bitty Baby Christmas here!

$10 Off Your Order of $30

Coupon Code: 153302

Ends: Feb 28, 2009

Some good deals at American Girl site even if you are getting the target or MA dolls these accessories will still work with them too!

Colonial Dressing Table

Price: $10

Save: $26

Molly’s Curl Kit

Price: $12

Save: $16

Emily’s Wooden Sled

Price: $15

Save: $25

just go to http://www.americanrgirl.com and shop their sale! You can do pretty good with the sale and code!

Edited by ashemgra

I have an AG doll and unless they changed something about the hair they do knot up. Mine was put up and stored away then when DD was about 10 I gave it to her. DD still has it but her hair is all knoted. The AG Kirsten. However mine was from the late 80's right after they came out.

I have an AG doll and unless they changed something about the hair they do knot up. Mine was put up and stored away then when DD was about 10 I gave it to her. DD still has it but her hair is all knoted. The AG Kirsten. However mine was from the late 80's right after they came out.

I seen their ad for sending her to the hospital to get her hair fixed. Comes back, looking like new. Might be worth a try.

We gave DD Bitty Baby when she was about 18 months old (family tradition). I bought the Bitty Baby with accessories, and they broke up the set to make Bitty Baby gifts for her Easter and Birthday....she loves her Bitty Baby. We also have Kirsten and Kit and the dog (name escapes me at the moment). DD is 14, those dolls are in my old doll cradle, dressed in coordinating outfits. They have been on vacation with us, shopping, grandparents, and they are still in great shape.

I used to buy outfits at a craft show, and on ebay for a lot less than AG.....

We have Samantha from AG, and my DD is only 6, and doesn't play with her. She was a "hand me down" from a cousin who didn't play with her either :eek: She got the Bitty Baby when she was 4 and has played with her alot. I was thinking of getting the twins for both of my girls this year. My youngest DD is 3 and LOVES a baby doll. The oldest has a build a bear bunny and she plays with it the most. I will say the stuff from AG holds up really well and premie things fit pretty good (sometimes a little big, mostly the onsies) they can also be sent to the "hospital" to be fixed!!! I have found some really good deals on them on Ebay, so check there.