"Real trees"

i.feature

Does anyone still prefer real trees? Personally, for me part of the fun is going out in the cold and hunting down the perfect tree. Getting it home... realizing it's not as perfect as you thought... trying to figure out the best way to "face" it... all the while sipping on some hot chocolate and enjoying the fresh cut scent of pine...

I don't think i could ever pull a piece of plastic and metal out of my basement and have the same holiday feeling.

Last year I got a real tree because of those reasons...I just liked the freshness, smell, etc. however (and I know its strange LOL), I felt bad cutting down the tree and watching it die. :tongue1: So, I have decided that I wont "kill" anymore trees and will use a fake one from now on. Heck, I'll even buy some pine scented spray or candles or something LOL

My Mom used to always have a real tree and when I got married we had a real tree for our first Christmas together, but the real trees always make my allergies (mold) go crazy, so it's the fake one for me. Although, with the fake one, my allergies still kick into high gear unless I air it out on the front porch for a few days before setting it up inside.

Me and my husband debate about this every year. I tell him there is NO WAY I am putting up a fake tree. I have to have a real tree and that is the end of the discussion.....unfortuantely we cannot chop down our trees down here and it is almost never cold enough for some hot chocolate in Miami, but I always enjoy going to Wal-mart or Home Depot and taking the string off the trees they have to see if it is perfect for our house.

Posted via Mobile Device

I love real trees! We ied going with a fake one year before last, then last year we we went back to live. It's just better (and, surprisingly, better for the environment than fake trees, which poison the air to produce and don't break down once they're dumped).

I love a real tree. My mom has a fake one and it's just not the same! I have allergies and I sneeze all season long, but I tell my husband that's why God made Benedryl! I just can't have Christmas without a real tree. Sometimes we get a fir, sometimes we get a pine, it just depends on what we like that year out on the tree lot. My cat shows no preference - they chew the branches all the same :)

Real!! When I was little I guess I told my Mom that if she bought a fake tree she wouldn't find any presents under it...(I don't remember those words, but she does) soooo she let my husband know that if I buy a fake one, he better not put any under it for me! But, I truly do love the real ones. We do the whole thing, go to the farm, tractor and wagon ride, hot chocolate, cut down your own tree, xmas music the whole way there and home.....LOVE IT!

It has to be real! Growing up we always had a fake tree and I always wished we would have a real one. Now that I am grown it is always a real tree for us. We also go to the tree farm, walk around until we are frozen to find the perfect tree. I love the smell of the tree and fun we have as a family picking one out.

We have always used a real tree, but after the fiasco we had with our's last year, I just bought an artificial one. We put it up the first week in December, just like we always do, and within 2 weeks you could sit in our home and listen to the ornaments fall off of it as the needles fell off. We just kept hoping it would last until Christmas :( It was awful. We took it down (I use that phrase lightly) the day after Xmas and by taking it down I mean throwing out the brown trunk and sweeping up ALL of the needles :( Took me forever!! Don't know what happened (we kept it watered just like always) but we were told by someone that lots of people in our area had that problem because of the dry year we had. I will NOT do that again! What a mess!!

We use real too. But because I don't like to climb under to water it, I get it about a week before Christmas, water it 2 or 3 times and that's it. I get rashes from the tree all over my hands and arms. I have to dress in long sleeves and gloves to decorate it. It is out of the house on the 27th. I keep telling DH I want a fake one so I can put it up real early. That is always a big no.

I have always had a real tree since I was a small child. When I had my own children I continued this and my oldest is now 14. I love a frasier fir, the smell, the way it looks when the branches fall around and the fact that it is a tradition that I pass to my children. I would never go to artificial even though some of them are very beautiful!

Real trees my entire life until a few years ago started getting hives when we cut the tree, put it up and put ornaments on it. Kind of takes the fun out of it! And they were getting worse every year. Didn't matter if I wore a long sleeved shirt & gloves. Got a pre-lit tree and would never go back. No more watering every day and needles all over the place and the lights are already on, no having to re-cut the bottom off the tree because it's too big... it's way easier now.

Real tree for us.... I also found this thing that goes into the base and allows you to water the tree easier. I need to find the name but it looks like a stiff piece of hose with a cup attached. It wraps around the middle and funnels water down to the base so you don't have to get "under" the tree to water it :)

We use real too. But because I don't like to climb under to water it, I get it about a week before Christmas, water it 2 or 3 times and that's it.QUOTE]

I hate watering it too and we usually forget after a few days. Last year a friend showed us this trick where you run a length of tubing from the tree stand to a gallon milk jug of water. The jug has to sit higher than the stand so we put it on a little footstool behind the tree. The stand draws water through the tubing to the tree and you can see the level in the milk jug go down. Now we just watch the jug and add water there to keep the tree watered. No more crawling under the tree or trying to remember to water it! Our tree stayed alive 'til after Christmas last year and lost very few needles! I still don't understand the science behind this, but it works!

I grew up with a fake tree because my mother is allergic to pine, so last year was my first year with a real tree. I really liked the experience of getting a tree and putting it up. My heat comes out of overhead vents though, so the tree dried out REALLY fast, even though I watered it twice a day. I also kind of wish that we could have put it up earlier. I envision that I'll be back to a fake tree before long, but right now I kind of like having the experience of a real tree.