Christmas breakfast???

sem615

i have never had scrapple so pardon me if i dont explain it too good. it comes in a brick form kinda like a small version of how lard used to come in the olden days it is kind of brown and gritty looking people here bake it but also a lot of people fry it from what i understand.it is all the unused parts of pigs i guess what they dont use otherwise:razz:

This article does not cite any references or sources.

Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unverifiable material may be challenged and removed. (April 2008)

Scrapple is a savory mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour. The mush is formed into a loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then fried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, too small to be used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste. Scrapple is best known as a regional food of Delaware, South Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland.

actually this recipe doesnt sound too bad

Scrapple

Print This Recipe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INGREDIENTS

1 pound pork pudding meat OR loose sausage

1 quart water, or pork broth

Salt and pepper, to taste

1-1/2 cups cornmeal

1/4 cup buckwheat flour

Butchering yielded rich meat scraps, too flavorful to give to the animals or simply throw away. Scrapple, however, was not invented in Pennsylvania. It most likely came with settlers from the lower Rhine area of Germany to Philadelphia. So it was in this country that the Amish learned to make the dish.

Two ingredients distinguish the dish - buckwheat and corn- meal (a New World addition), which act as extenders and provide a distinctive flavor.

Stir pudding meat or loose sausage into 1 quart rapidly boiling water or pork broth. When the mixture reaches the boiling point slowly add the cornmeal and buckwheat flour. Stir constantly until thickened. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes over low heat.

Pour into two 1-lb. loaf pans. Cool thoroughly then refrigerate.

When scrapple is set, cut in 3/8 to 1/2 inch slices and fry in hot, greased skillet. When slices are browned and crusty, turn and brown on other side. Serve hot with ketchup, syrup or apple butter.

Makes 3-4 pounds of scrapple

Edited by dealluvr
add

I usually make the Jimmy Deans breakfast casserole, and add bacon too, and the french toast casserole. Both can be made the day before so you can just pop them in the oven Christmas morning.

http://images.allrecipes.com/global/recipes/small/84065.jpg

INGREDIENTS

1 (16 ounce) package Regular Flavor Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage

10 eggs, lightly beaten

3 cups milk

2 teaspoons dry mustard

1 teaspoon salt

6 cups cubed bread

2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)

1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped (optional)

1/2 cup thin-sliced green onion (optional)

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 325 F. In large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink. In large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, mustard and salt; stir well.

Distribute half the bread evenly in a buttered 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with half the pepper, half the cheese, half the sausage and half of each optional ingredient. Repeat layering using remaining bread, pepper, cheese, sausage and optional ingredients. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole.

Bake uncovered for 55-60 minutes, or until eggs are set. Tent with foil if top begins to brown too quickly.

FOOTNOTE

may be assembled ahead and refrigerated up to 12 hours before baking

We do breakfast casserole too. It's so easy and tastes better when you make it the night before anyway. Pop it in the oven while you are opening presents and breakfast is ready when you are done. This was something my mom did too. :)

i have never had scrapple so pardon me if i dont explain it too good. it comes in a brick form kinda like a small version of how lard used to come in the olden days it is kind of brown and gritty looking people here bake it but also a lot of people fry it from what i understand.it is all the unused parts of pigs i guess what they dont use otherwise:razz:

This article does not cite any references or sources.

Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unverifiable material may be challenged and removed. (April 2008)

Scrapple is a savory mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour. The mush is formed into a loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then fried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, too small to be used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste. Scrapple is best known as a regional food of Delaware, South Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland.

actually this recipe doesnt sound too bad

Scrapple

Print This Recipe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INGREDIENTS

1 pound pork pudding meat OR loose sausage

1 quart water, or pork broth

Salt and pepper, to taste

1-1/2 cups cornmeal

1/4 cup buckwheat flour

Butchering yielded rich meat scraps, too flavorful to give to the animals or simply throw away. Scrapple, however, was not invented in Pennsylvania. It most likely came with settlers from the lower Rhine area of Germany to Philadelphia. So it was in this country that the Amish learned to make the dish.

Two ingredients distinguish the dish - buckwheat and corn- meal (a New World addition), which act as extenders and provide a distinctive flavor.

Stir pudding meat or loose sausage into 1 quart rapidly boiling water or pork broth. When the mixture reaches the boiling point slowly add the cornmeal and buckwheat flour. Stir constantly until thickened. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes over low heat.

Pour into two 1-lb. loaf pans. Cool thoroughly then refrigerate.

When scrapple is set, cut in 3/8 to 1/2 inch slices and fry in hot, greased skillet. When slices are browned and crusty, turn and brown on other side. Serve hot with ketchup, syrup or apple butter.

Makes 3-4 pounds of scrapple

mmm you pretty much got it right on the money. :) Habbersett makes the best, followed by the Amish Market in Williamstown, nj (but they don't ship).

I'm not a big fan of putting syrup on it. Sometimes I will, but it doesn't really work for me. We fry it, and usually there is ketchup or hot sauce involved. :

The trick to scrapple is the same as the trick to hot dogs - don't ask what's in it! ;) '

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sleuth/0998/scrapple.html

http://www.habbersettscrapple.com/ (in case anyone wants to try it, you can order it here)

Scapple is just as its name suggests...the SCRAPS of meat made into bricks/loaves. I live in Lancaster County PA, the heart of Amish Country and my family eats this stuff up. I personally HATE it! :yuck: My parents always made it as part of our 'special' Christmas breakfast.

http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/index.php/2005/02/06/fear_thy_name_is_scrapple

Sorry, didn't see the the other answers to what is scrapple before I posted! My apologies!

Growing up, my mom would make fruit bread in her bread machine for our family's Christmas Eve party, and I would always warm it up in the morning and put some butter on it. Mmmmm. That was so good!!! Unfortunately, with PCOS, I am on a low-carb diet, so this year I'll be making a Denver Omelet Casserole recipe I found in a magazine. I'll try to prepare what I can on Christmas Eve so I can just throw it in the oven Christmas morning.

I like to do some sort of egg/meat casserole that can be put together the night before and baked in the morning. This is a no-fail one!

Breakfast Strata

1 lb. pork sausage, browned and drained

8 slices of bread, cubed or torn

2 cups of shredded Cheddar or Mont Jack

2 1/2 cups milk (1% works fine)

6 eggs

3/4 tsp dry mustard

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1/2 cup milk

Brown and drain sausage, set aside. Fill a lightly greased 9 x 11 pan with the bread pieces. Sprinkle bread with cheese and then sausage.

Mix 2 1/2 cups milk, eggs and dry mustard in a seperate bowl, then pour over top of ingredients in pan. Cover pan and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl, mix mushroom soup with 1/2 cup milk and spread over top of chilled strata.

Bake for 1 hour or until set.

We have a breakfast casserole here as well. I make it up the night before, put in the fridge. On Christmas morning I put in the oven before the start of opening of presents. When the it's done we stop and eat. When everyone is done, we resume opening of presents.

Growing up, my mom would make fruit bread in her bread machine for our family's Christmas Eve party, and I would always warm it up in the morning and put some butter on it. Mmmmm. That was so good!!! Unfortunately, with PCOS, I am on a low-carb diet, so this year I'll be making a Denver Omelet Casserole recipe I found in a magazine. I'll try to prepare what I can on Christmas Eve so I can just throw it in the oven Christmas morning.

I would like this recipe (fruit bread). We make a huge breakfast but that french toast casserole might have to added in. Here we do eggs fried and scrambles, hashbrowns, pancakes or waffles, biscuits and gravy, bacon, sausage, and fried fatback, we also do fried apples. I know I am forgetting some stuff.

Edited by shopping mom
add info

We always have monkey bread :gdlicklips:

Just grab and eat..simple to make and ohhhhh sooooo yummy :P

It is a light breakfast since mid afternoon we will pig out :eek:

I LOVE monkey bread!

We usually just sip on coffee while opening presents, then DH fixes us pancakes! Gotta love a man who makes great pancakes! :gdlicklips::D

Unfortunately, my in-laws like to do a big Christmas breakfast (sausage, bacon, biscuits, eggs, gravy, pancakes, etc.). We have to rush to let the kids open their presents Christmas morning and rush to get ready and get over to their house before they call us twenty times asking where we are. Then, by the time we eat breakfast and open gifts, it's on to Christmas lunch with my family even though we're already stuffed.

The one thing I don't like about the holidays is all the rushing.

Ok, I'm missing something....What the heck is Scrapple?:confused:

Basically.......every scrap leftover from the pig that's not used for ham, sausage, bacon or hotdogs. It has a great flavor, especially when spiced right, but it's real high in fat and cholesterol.

yes what is it??? a special fruit???

Sorry.....had to LOL @ this. Nothing against you Eve.

:beer:

Unfortunately, my in-laws like to do a big Christmas breakfast (sausage, bacon, biscuits, eggs, gravy, pancakes, etc.). We have to rush to let the kids open their presents Christmas morning and rush to get ready and get over to their house before they call us twenty times asking where we are. Then, by the time we eat breakfast and open gifts, it's on to Christmas lunch with my family even though we're already stuffed.

The one thing I don't like about the holidays is all the rushing.

I remember when the oldest 5 were little and we had to get to my grandma's house around 6 in the morning (I had to help cook) We only alowed the kids to have their stockings before we left. We were able to come home after her house though and the kids could open their gifts. Grandma is gone now, but the kids still want the big breakfast of course now the time is later (even my extended family will call to ask me when to come over). I am sure this will all change when they have kids of their own. I think I will be the one going from house to house when that happens.

scrapple

eggs (usually scrambled)

toast

potato cakes

oranges

fresh squeezed oj

sausage links

chocolate milk for the lil ones

hot chocolate or coffee for the older ones

and someone always has a box of cinnamon rolls from cinnabon on hand somehow.

scrapple got tricky when we moved to az. didn't know you couldn't get it outside of pa/nj. so we had to special order it - and you've to order it 12 bricks at a time! we've 10 left. :gdlicklips:

Never heard of Scrapple until I saw it on this thread yesterday and then last night I was watching Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on Food Network, and wouldn't you know it, they featured SCRAPPLE!!!!! A man who was originally from Pennsylvania moved to New Mexico and couldn't find Scrapple, so he started making it in his restaurant. What a coincidence!!!!

If we're home, I usually make this:

8 frozen hash brown patties

3 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese

1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

1 cup fully cooked ham, diced*

1 scallion, thinly sliced

7 eggs

1 cup milk

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. dry mustard

1/4 tsp. pepper

1. Place hash brown patties in a single layer in a greased 13x9" baking dish. Sprinkle with cheeses, ham and onion.

2. In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt, mustard and pepper until well combined. Pour over hash browns.

3. Cover and bake at 350°F for 1 hour. Uncover and 15 minutes longer or until edges are golden brown and knife inserted near center comes out clean.

Yield: 8 servings.

***This dish can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated overnight. Bake as directed above. Get creative and use bacon or sausage instead of ham, and add diced green pepper, mushrooms, or your favorite veggie, too.

I make this for holidays or breakfast with my girlfriends or sometimes on long weekends. I've never put the scallions or ham in it. I usually use bacon, occasionally sausage. I've made it with the Kraft cheddar jack w/jalapeno cheese (girlfriends & dh love it, kids prefer cheddar)

I'm sure this came from one of the recipe sites out there, but I originally received it in an email so credit to wherever it's from! :)

Monkey Bread

4 tubes of rolls (not buttermilk)

1/2 C sugar

1/4 C cinnamon

1/2 lb butter

2 tbsp cinnamon

1/4 C sugar

cut rolls into quarters roll in cinn/sugar mixture, some people just dump them into a bag

with the cinn/sugar. Melt the butter adding in the 2 tbsp cinn and 1/4 cup sugar.

Put the rolls into the bundt pan (well greased) just layer and then pour the butter mix over

the top for 30 mins at 350 degrees. It is so yummy. I usually add some vanilla to the butter

mixture for more flavor. I have a friend who uses the cinnamon rolls in the tubes instead.

It is called Monkey Bread as you eat it by pulling at it and pulling it apart (like a Monkey

would :tongue1:) This stuff is sooo good and so fattening..my guys really look forward to

it every Christmas.

Thank you for sharing...

I usually bake some breads, muffins a couple of days ahead work permitting, mood permitting, busy permitting, or hit your local bakery or panera and buy some breakfast because we go out to friends for xmas eve and it can be pretty late when we leave, then people visit in shifts on xmas day and then we do dinner as well.

I would like this recipe (fruit bread).

Here is the fruit bread recipe. It is a small bread machine recipe, so some changes may need to be done if you don't have a bread machine or want a larger loaf.

2 cups flour

1 - 1 1/2 tsp. dry yeast

scant 1/4 cup sugar

scant 1/4 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons butter

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Between 3/4 -7/8 cup water

1 Tablespoon dry milk

scant 1/4 teaspoon each: Nutmeg, Ginger, Ground Cloves and Allspice

Combine to fill 1/2 Cup: pears, dates, raisins, prunes....Chopped. (Cook to soften)

Add about 1/8 cup each chopped black walnuts and maraschino cherries.

We always have those Pillsbury cinnamon rolls from the tube (well, one cinnamon, one orange). It's tradition and I don't think we'll ever get away from it.

I LOVE monkey bread though (recently found a recipe that puts cream cheese inside which is amazing) so I wouldn't mind shaking things up for that. For those of you who haven't tried it, you should! You'll love it!

Scrapple is a meat dish. There are some people who love it and some people who think it's really nasty. It's basically pork scraps being held together with flour and fried. From what I understand, it's pretty much a mid-Atlantic state kinda food. (There's a whole Ace of Cakes episode where they make a meat cake for Duff's birthday and they talk about scrapple, if any of you are Food Network fans!)

We always have those Pillsbury cinnamon rolls from the tube (well, one cinnamon, one orange). It's tradition and I don't think we'll ever get away from it.

I LOVE monkey bread though (recently found a recipe that puts cream cheese inside which is amazing) so I wouldn't mind shaking things up for that. For those of you who haven't tried it, you should! You'll love it!

Scrapple is a meat dish. There are some people who love it and some people who think it's really nasty. It's basically pork scraps being held together with flour and fried. From what I understand, it's pretty much a mid-Atlantic state kinda food. (There's a whole Ace of Cakes episode where they make a meat cake for Duff's birthday and they talk about scrapple, if any of you are Food Network fans!)

Gorilla Bread is the one with cream chz in it.

I make a casserole like the Jimmy Dean one mentioned above. I can make it ahead and freeze until the night before. I pop it in the oven when we come down to do Santa....it's ready by the time we get through the gifts...gives us a little break before stockings!

Coffee, omelettes, corned beef hash, and whatever else we find in the kitchen. Dad usually bought doughnuts from Kroger the night before as well.

This Christmas is at my parent's house (4 couples, a dog, and 3 grandbabies) and I plan on making a sausage and veggie quiche with some French Toast Casserole before everyone wakes up. Kind of a thank-you for my parents.