Christmas breakfast???

sem615

I use a ready made pie crust (pillsbury, the flat ones) Then I mix 1lb sausage, 3 eggs, chopped green onions, and about 1 1/2 cups of cheese. Take the mix and split it between the two flat pie crust, roll and fold under (like a burrito) then bake on 350 for 15-20 minutes. I mix the filler the night before. You can brush it with egg white if you like.

Serve with Jelly &/or mustard.

Always a french toast casserole. It has to be prepared the night before and then just pop into the oven first thing in the morning to bake during presents. Also, I pre-cook sausage and bacon the night before as well and just reheat when the casserole is ready.

simply, easy and usually light.

i enjoy fruit salad sometimes, those orange flavored cinnamon rolls are a special treat some years and only take about 10 minutes in the oven,lol

whatever i make is usually either already prepared or started the night before so there is not much work in the morning

French toast casserole? It sounds great! Would you mind sharing the recipe?

***Just a note: I find that this needs to bake a little longer than suggested, about an hour seems to work best for my tastes.

Baked French Toast Casserole

Serves/Makes: 8

Ingredients:

1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounce size)

8 large eggs

2 cups half-and-half

1 cup milk

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 dash salt

Maple syrup

***Praline Topping*

1 cup butter

1 cup packed light brown sugar

1 cup chopped pecans

2 tablespoons light corn syrup

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions:

Slice French bread into 1-inch slices. Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices.

In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well.

My family LOVES the holidays because ever Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas I make what they call "a big breakfast". lol.

I feel like a waitress, but take their orders literally.

They usually get: EGGS (their choice- husband over easy and kids scrambled)

Bacon

Sausage

Hashbrowns

Toast.

Me, I just like my toast and coffee. I don't like eating heavy ever for breakfast. Upsets my stomach. Ever since my gall bladder was taken out, I just can't do it

I don't usually have to make Christmas breakfast. I have alot of in-laws here where we live and we go in shifts to the Aunt in laws house for breakfast casserole, oh so yummmy. But I have on occasion made a cinnamon twist with sugar glaze that I purchased from one of the local fund raisers, easy and delicious.

Monkey Bread

4 tubes of rolls (not buttermilk)

1/2 C sugar

1/4 C cinnamon

1/2 lb butter

2 tbsp cinnamon

1/4 C sugar

cut rolls into quarters roll in cinn/sugar mixture, some people just dump them into a bag

with the cinn/sugar. Melt the butter adding in the 2 tbsp cinn and 1/4 cup sugar.

Put the rolls into the bundt pan (well greased) just layer and then pour the butter mix over

the top for 30 mins at 350 degrees. It is so yummy. I usually add some vanilla to the butter

mixture for more flavor. I have a friend who uses the cinnamon rolls in the tubes instead.

It is called Monkey Bread as you eat it by pulling at it and pulling it apart (like a Monkey

would :tongue1:) This stuff is sooo good and so fattening..my guys really look forward to

it every Christmas.

Monkey Bread

4 tubes of rolls (not buttermilk)

1/2 C sugar

1/4 C cinnamon

1/2 lb butter

2 tbsp cinnamon

1/4 C sugar

cut rolls into quarters roll in cinn/sugar mixture, some people just dump them into a bag

with the cinn/sugar. Melt the butter adding in the 2 tbsp cinn and 1/4 cup sugar.

Put the rolls into the bundt pan (well greased) just layer and then pour the butter mix over

the top for 30 mins at 350 degrees. It is so yummy. I usually add some vanilla to the butter

mixture for more flavor. I have a friend who uses the cinnamon rolls in the tubes instead.

It is called Monkey Bread as you eat it by pulling at it and pulling it apart (like a Monkey

would :tongue1:) This stuff is sooo good and so fattening..my guys really look forward to

it every Christmas.

I make monkey on Christmas also;) Just a little different though 1 stick of butter and 3/4 brown sugar melt together and pour over cut up (2 tubes)rolls rolled in cinn/sugar in the bundt pan. Bake at 350 for 20-25 mins. Nice and caramely!

I usually make the Jimmy Deans breakfast casserole, and add bacon too, and the french toast casserole. Both can be made the day before so you can just pop them in the oven Christmas morning.

http://images.allrecipes.com/global/recipes/small/84065.jpg

INGREDIENTS

1 (16 ounce) package Regular Flavor Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage

10 eggs, lightly beaten

3 cups milk

2 teaspoons dry mustard

1 teaspoon salt

6 cups cubed bread

2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)

1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped (optional)

1/2 cup thin-sliced green onion (optional)

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 325 F. In large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink. In large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, mustard and salt; stir well.

Distribute half the bread evenly in a buttered 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with half the pepper, half the cheese, half the sausage and half of each optional ingredient. Repeat layering using remaining bread, pepper, cheese, sausage and optional ingredients. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole.

Bake uncovered for 55-60 minutes, or until eggs are set. Tent with foil if top begins to brown too quickly.

FOOTNOTE

may be assembled ahead and refrigerated up to 12 hours before baking

scrapple

eggs (usually scrambled)

toast

potato cakes

oranges

fresh squeezed oj

sausage links

chocolate milk for the lil ones

hot chocolate or coffee for the older ones

and someone always has a box of cinnamon rolls from cinnabon on hand somehow.

scrapple got tricky when we moved to az. didn't know you couldn't get it outside of pa/nj. so we had to special order it - and you've to order it 12 bricks at a time! we've 10 left. :gdlicklips:

For the last few years, my husband get's Cinnabon as a special Christmas morning treat. We are expats that live outside of the USA, so Cinnabon is open on Christmas. He knows the guys that work the one here on the compound, so he lets them know the night before what we need and they have it fresh and ready the following morning. It gets delivered here at the house and we tip them for bringing it.

In the past we have made a breakfast casserole.