Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2008

Gator Pam

I went back this afternoon and it was still at 50% and I scanned a couple of things to check. I also noticed that some of the Halloween stuff has orange stickers on it, so I'm wondering if that stuff won't go down for a while? They don't usually sticker it if they want to be rid of it right away...

I noticed that too when I was out and about. All those years of the hidden scrapbooking goodies at holiday time seem to be taken care of now. :( There were orange stickers on all the Halloween scrapbooking items. Also some Disney pumpkin carving sets and of course those potato heads that we talked about a few posts ago are other Halloween things that are all not part of the holiday clearance. I didn't see much stuff "out of place" like I have in the past. Sometimes I've found the Halloween paper towels/napkins/ziplocs could be found in the regular aisles due to the store just not getting it out to the clearance area like they should, but I haven't seen much of that this year.

I went back this afternoon and it was still at 50% and I scanned a couple of things to check. I also noticed that some of the Halloween stuff has orange stickers on it, so I'm wondering if that stuff won't go down for a while? They don't usually sticker it if they want to be rid of it right away...

Thanks! Won't waste my time, then. Yeah, I think that some of the stuff they consider more like regular merchandise, not so holidayish, is being done that way. They did that at Christmas last year with the Christmas toys that were stocked in the toy department. They marked it down with the toy clearance instead of toys.

So ours was 75% for decorations and costumes, only 30% off for Candy, ton of it left too. That is so weird, not even 50%? We had 4 aisles of stuff but I would say it was more to spread people out instead of condensing it to three aisles, lots of costumes. I got three blankets, washcloths, alittle candy, Cookie Haunted House ceramic, Oreos, socks, glass plate, small decorations for my table. I wanted to get some candy but don't want to pay that much so maybe hit it later this week and see what happens.

75% off at my Target this morning!

The candy Im using for treats for my daughters classroom. They are having a success club party for doing so well on their report cards. Plus Im freezing some and using them in her treat bags for her birthday party

Can you really freeze candy? Have you done it before?

DH promised me a second freezer and I was hoping to get it within the next few days....with him being a chocolate freak, his incentive would be pretty high?

DH promised me a second freezer and I was hoping to get it within the next few days....with him being a chocolate freak, his incentive would be pretty high?

Chocolate you can freeze, chewy candies like gummy type don't do well and I found things like laffy taffy doesn't either. I have done alot of chocolate candy and had no problem with it.

If anyone finds any pumpkin spice hershey kisses :gdlicklips: for 75% off I will gladly pay someone to send them to me. :yup: I have been to 3 Targets and not one bag anywhere period. :( My Targets were pretty picked over Monday at 50% off and no candy I want so I won`t be back. :(

One of my stores was 50% and then a friend of mine hit another and it was 75%. Only a few miles from each other too. they must all be on different markdown schedules now??

I wouldn't bet on it. It isn't the first time they have done this. They did it last Christmas too. I would not be surprised to learn that they are trying to shake things up a bit. It seems like they tend to look at the overall stock levels to determine exactly when to go ahead and mark again. If they REALLY need the space, and there is a ton left, they seem to mark it faster. Most of our stores have an aisle or two at most left, and they seem to mark them about a day slower. We'll see. One store I was in already had done most of the new shelf tags for the Christmas stocking stuffers which go where all the Halloween candy was, so that store has very very little Halloween left.

I noticed that too when I was out and about. All those years of the hidden scrapbooking goodies at holiday time seem to be taken care of now. :( There were orange stickers on all the Halloween scrapbooking items. Also some Disney pumpkin carving sets and of course those potato heads that we talked about a few posts ago are other Halloween things that are all not part of the holiday clearance. I didn't see much stuff "out of place" like I have in the past. Sometimes I've found the Halloween paper towels/napkins/ziplocs could be found in the regular aisles due to the store just not getting it out to the clearance area like they should, but I haven't seen much of that this year.

Here I think that they pull all of the ziploc/hefty... stuff and don't sell it at clearance. I've gone there the day before and it's on the end of an isle and come in the next day right when they open and it's ALL GONE! Nowhere to be found in any isle. Once I found some christmas stuff in the regular isle (that I think they forgot to pull) and it didn't scan at 50% but I asked the cashier and she fixed the price.

You don't need to freeze it, most of the candy doesn't expire for a looooonnnnngggggg time. I buy easter candy after easter and it's fine the next easter, same for halloween and christmas, like the holiday m&m's. I just wouldn't put chocolate somewhere it could melt.

Halloween was 75% off in Watchung, NJ also. TONS of candy left. A whole endcap of Bounty napkins also.

Thanks for the update juanadeal. I was thinking of going there in the morning to look at Wii games so I'll see if any napkins left. Did they have any outdoor decorations left or were they pretty well cleared out?? (Union had very little decorations)

Thanks for the update juanadeal. I was thinking of going there in the morning to look at Wii games so I'll see if any napkins left. Did they have any outdoor decorations left or were they pretty well cleared out?? (Union had very little decorations)

They did have some things. Lights and pumpkins and stuff. The napkins were on the endcap near the paper towels. Much more than at the Union store. At union, the ee's were taking the stuff for themselves into the back. Not complaining, just reporting.

ours went 75% off today...i'm still sick, but we did stop by to get more tissues and soup, so i looked at the halloween stuff...picked up a few more things :) The tissues were all gone :( but picked up some napkins. What i don't like is how many things are NOT considered halloween clearance but are still in the aisle and are obviously halloween things! The movies first of all, and would you believe the cards and jewelry! more and more stuff is being sent back for full credit and therefore not sold any % off. This really annoys me, if you are not including it then pull it from the shelves the night before you mark down!!!

ours went 75% off today...i'm still sick, but we did stop by to get more tissues and soup, so i looked at the halloween stuff...picked up a few more things :) The tissues were all gone :( but picked up some napkins. What i don't like is how many things are NOT considered halloween clearance but are still in the aisle and are obviously halloween things! The movies first of all, and would you believe the cards and jewelry! more and more stuff is being sent back for full credit and therefore not sold any % off. This really annoys me, if you are not including it then pull it from the shelves the night before you mark down!!!

If it is on the shelf with the 50% signs in front of it, most states require that they honor the sale price for at least one of each item. it is there responsibility to pull them before signing it for the sale. If there are onesie twosies where customers have done it, it is one thing, but otherwise, most states Weights & Measures laws require that they sell you at least one of each. I would check into the state law where you live (check the Secretary of State's website) and then ask for a manager and demand the sale price. I have done this successfully more than once. They don't like it, but the managers know that they are required by law to do this. When you make the demand, refer to the Weights & Measures law (or whatever it is called there). There is usually some sort of sticker at the checkout of most stores (check there and grocery stores in the area when you checkout) that will mention that you are entitled to the lowest marked price. That is the law that matters.

Of course none of that is worth messing about with when you are sick. But it will allow you to be prepared next time!

Feel better!

If it is on the shelf with the 50% signs in front of it, most states require that they honor the sale price for at least one of each item. it is there responsibility to pull them before signing it for the sale. If there are onesie twosies where customers have done it, it is one thing, but otherwise, most states Weights & Measures laws require that they sell you at least one of each. I would check into the state law where you live (check the Secretary of State's website) and then ask for a manager and demand the sale price. I have done this successfully more than once. They don't like it, but the managers know that they are required by law to do this. When you make the demand, refer to the Weights & Measures law (or whatever it is called there). There is usually some sort of sticker at the checkout of most stores (check there and grocery stores in the area when you checkout) that will mention that you are entitled to the lowest marked price. That is the law that matters.

Of course none of that is worth messing about with when you are sick. But it will allow you to be prepared next time!

Feel better!

hmm...good to know! It's hard with the 75% off stuff since there usually is only 1 of the item and they "claim" that it's misplaced :rolleyes: I wasn't in the fighting mood tonight. Thanks for the better wishes...i've had this damn flu for 1 1/2 weeks...enough already!!!

You don't need to freeze it, most of the candy doesn't expire for a looooonnnnngggggg time. I buy easter candy after easter and it's fine the next easter, same for halloween and christmas, like the holiday m&m's. I just wouldn't put chocolate somewhere it could melt.

When i find chocolate 6 months to a year later, Easter/Halloween, the chocolate has turned a funny color.

Hugs for you KM, I have been sick too with some stomach viral thing and have not made it to Target for any Halloween clearance, but In the past I have run across the same thing--cards, jewelry, etc with Pumpkins and stuff all over it, but they are not marking it down. :mad: Is that to tease us?

*I also don't understand how stores get "full credit" by sending it back. I'd love to have someone here explain that to me. Who gives them credit and WHY?

Doesn't seem fair to customers IMO (seems that the store wins whether you buy stuff or not???:shock:)

*I also don't understand how stores get "full credit" by sending it back. I'd love to have someone here explain that to me. Who gives them credit and WHY?

Doesn't seem fair to customers IMO (seems that the store wins whether you buy stuff or not???:shock:)

I work for a video company in other stores, not Target, and the videos are not 'owned' by the store, they are sort of on 'consignment' I guess you would say. So they have to be sent back after the season is over, or when they are no longer on the 'planogram', so that they get credit for returning them.

I gave out boxes of Valentine Sweet Tarts for Halloween last week.. yep, from this year.. they tasted GREAT!

I gave out boxes of Valentine Sweet Tarts for Halloween last week.. yep, from this year.. they tasted GREAT!

I gave out Valentine nerds and candy I got last year, of course I did try them before putting them out LOL I got gummy type monster parts last year and they were still soft and pliable. I also had two boxes of Sweetart bones that came in coffins that when you raised the lid it sounded like a door opening that we gave out too, of course my husband has been binging on them and they are from last year.

hmm...good to know! It's hard with the 75% off stuff since there usually is only 1 of the item and they "claim" that it's misplaced :rolleyes: I wasn't in the fighting mood tonight. Thanks for the better wishes...i've had this damn flu for 1 1/2 weeks...enough already!!!

I have had a nasty sinus infection, complements of my 5 year old, for the last 3 weeks, so I REALLY sympathize!

I know what you mean about the sale stuff. At least if they try it with the Christmas videos (usually they leave a bunch) you'll have some info behind you.

Sure hope you don't have to quest for a big toy like last year's pony this year! Take care.

Hugs for you KM, I have been sick too with some stomach viral thing and have not made it to Target for any Halloween clearance, but In the past I have run across the same thing--cards, jewelry, etc with Pumpkins and stuff all over it, but they are not marking it down. :mad: Is that to tease us?

The manufacturers of certain items give them full credit. It is generally stuff like CDs, DVDs, books & greeting cards. Generally it is for items with copyrights. There are several reasons, some historical (books), but one big one is that they don't want to dilute the market by allowing them to go out cheap. The copyright owner has to be paid for the sold items, so it is sometimes not worth selling it, better to destroy or recycle it. It is complicated, though. Books are simply over-published and stores are basically asked to push it. That is starting to change, though, so it may not continue long term.

If my Target was on schedule and was 75% yesterday... When should I check for the 90% off?

I would think the 7th. I asked an associate at target and she said ours was going 90% on the 7th, also a walmart manager said our walmart is going 75% on the 7th.:)