Help on paying for my items, what should I do?

lupajunie

I'm in a bit of a predicament this year.... I'm going to be spending 500-600 dollars this year but the thing is in the past I've had problems when I'm paying over a certain amount on my Debit Card. I know there's a certain limit I can spend using the card and last year I made two purchases, one for ~400 and when I went to go make my second purchase of ~500-600 it wouldn't go through even though I had more than enough in the bank to pay for it. Luckily for me my friend was there and she paid for it with her card and I paid her back that same day. I would really like to avoid carrying that much cash with me, but if that's my only option then it'll have to do. Any suggestions for me?

*Sorry if this is a repost, please refer me to the appropriate thread*

Just from experience in working retail... Carry your cell phone with you. If that does happen you can call your bank while you are in line to have them push the transaction through (if the bank is open at that hour).

Otherwise, write a check...

OR

You could get one of those Visa gift cards and load it up with cash. I would put about half of what you intend to spend on that card. Just make sure to keep track of it!

hth

Oh ok great, I will bring my checkbook with me then if my transaction doesn't go through. All they'll need is my california's driver's license right? (I've never in my life paid for somethng by check :P)

besides the rent of course..... I meant at a retail store.

Oh ok great, I will bring my checkbook with me then if my transaction doesn't go through. All they'll need is my california's driver's license right? (I've never in my life paid for somethng by check :P)

Yep, checkbook and a valid driver's license is all you'll need. The retailer will copy your DL # onto the check and they will electronically verify that the funds for your check are currently in your account.

It's not that much slower than paying by debit card despite what the "Life takes Visa" commercials would have you believe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOMhNb6jtrg

Yep, checkbook and a valid driver's license is all you'll need. The retailer will copy your DL # onto the check and they will electronically verify that the funds for your check are currently in your account.

It's not that much slower than paying by debit card despite what the "Life takes Visa" commercials would have you believe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOMhNb6jtrg

haha thanks so much and Happy Thanksgiving!

Call your bank tommorrow and ask them to raise the linit on your debit card. Usually they will do it up to $1000 just to keep you safe incase your card is lost. You will proabbly have to go into the bank and sign something. MNost banks will do this. If you need it for only a few days tell them and I am sure they will. Your limit sounds like it is $500 POS per day.

I work for a bank and we do it from time to time.

so funny this has happened to me two time this wk.. lol i was getting wii on sunday and well the first one went threw then the second order got frozen i stood there waited for the manager to go and do her thing . came back said sorry was declined.. i said ohh heck noooo i stood there and called waited 8 min for them to pick up the phone ( on a sunday) lol at 9 am.. (sleeping i think) then i got them had to prove who i was then they onfroze it.. and i did more shopping lol... i plan to take some cash with me and a small cc . and my mac so i dont run into this ..

It does take longer the first time ever that you write a check in a store, if it's a store that you write checks at all the time they go through faster and they don't ask for so much information.

Guest Mom1979
THank you for bringing this up, I infrequently use my debit card but am pondering to do so this year, I am not aware of my limits on the card. A good ? and some good suggestions here, gotta love gotta deal!!

If I were going to Best Buy for any BF deals, I would definitely have a BB credit card. Everything is same as cash for 90 days, I believe, no matter how small the purchase. Even the $9.99 speakers I bought last year online came in with "same as cash for 90 days." That gives you time to sit on the cash and potentially earn a little more interest before paying it off in the new year.

Obviously it is too late for you to follow that route now. If I had that much cash, I would certainly never talk about it and take out only what you need at the register when it comes time to pay. There are just too many people all over the place to advertise yourself that way (unless you look like the type that nobody would dream of messing with). Verify with your bank whether there are any limits on purchases made that way and see what they recommend as a way around that. If it is a good bank, they should willingly give you a way to do what you want.

I wouldn't try your debit card first and then expect to pay with a check if it doesn't go through. I hit my daily limit once and when tried to write a check after the debit declined the retailer would not allow me to do so.

Their reasoning was that the debit card declined and the check is being written off the same account so they wouldn't take it. Thankfully I had a credit card.

I'd write checks for the big purchases and save your debit card for smaller purchases.