>>> Official Black Friday GPS Navigation Unit Discussion Thread <<< (updated 11/29)

Marcster

I went with the Magellan 4040 at Radio Shack. Bought it for $349.00 but they will price match the BF sales price Friday, which will be $299.00. I was disappointed that no Magellan's were on the recommended buys from GPS Lodge. I did a lot of research before making my choice. Newer maps, easier navigation, large screen, speech to text (will actually tell you the street name of your next turn or exit), blue tooth and price were my main reasons for making this choice. Not to mention the upgrade via Magellan's website which will allow my unit to hear my voice commands ("Magellan. Gas Station" isall I would have to say and the unit will map out directions to the nearest gas station from my current location. Just FYI. Happy shopping all.

Can I ask a stupid question? Okay, I will. What about battery time? Some only stay charged for 2 hours, like Tom Tom. Do they go into standby mode or something? Two hours seems like nothing when you're on a trip.

Every GPS unit will have a cigarette-lighter-style power adapter. This will provide power ti the unit and recharge the battery.

The only time you'd really use battery power is if you wanted to set up your trip's itinerary from inside your house or if you wanted to listen to MP3s and such that the more expensive units have.

First off, let me thank you for all your hard work and dedication to providing us with very helpful information to making an informed GPS purchase. You are a godsend!

So you can do Itinerary planning the night before? I run a service business which this feature would be helpful for me. I was led to believe that you could not? Or am I just confused?

Guess it helps if I tell you it is the tomtom 3rd edition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whew, thanks Marcster! I've been going back and forth between different models and price ranges but I think (still thinking) about going with the Tom Tom 3rd Edition. You can get it online now at Costco for $129.99. It doesn't have all the features I wanted (like text-to-speech and widescreen) but for the money, I think it will be a good starter GPS.

It seems like so many electronics these days are basically disposable, so this way I don't have too much money invested when in a year or two something really good and cheap comes out. Thanks again for all your help. It's been a fun learning experience!

First off, let me thank you for all your hard work and dedication to providing us with very helpful information to making an informed GPS purchase. You are a godsend!

So you can do Itinerary planning the night before? I run a service business which this feature would be helpful for me. I was led to believe that you could not? Or am I just confused?

You're welcome!

I didn't look at this aspect exactly, but I believe that most, if not all units will let you program a trip in ahead of time. Set it up at night and then in the morning, you just turn it on and go...

TomToms and Mios have the ability to program an itinerary with a different starting address then where the unit currently is. This is handy for setting up an itinerary from your arrival airport to your hotel, for instance, while you are killing time waiting for your plane to board... You can also use that to help a lost friend get to where they're going over the phone.

TomTom One Version 3 units cannot set up multi-stop itineraries though. For instance, from home to your son's house, to Dodger's stadium, to TGI Fridays and back to your son's and home. A TomTom One Version 3 would need you to set up each leg of the "route" when you finished the one prior.

Whew, thanks Marcster! I've been going back and forth between different models and price ranges but I think (still thinking) about going with the Tom Tom 3rd Edition. You can get it online now at Costco for $129.99. It doesn't have all the features I wanted (like text-to-speech and widescreen) but for the money, I think it will be a good starter GPS.

It seems like so many electronics these days are basically disposable, so this way I don't have too much money invested when in a year or two something really good and cheap comes out. Thanks again for all your help. It's been a fun learning experience!

The TomTom One is a great starter unit, and practically disposable like you said. For the prices these things are this year, I can't wait to see what there will be to choose from next year. GPS navigation has come so far already!

The $100ish units would make great hand-me-downs to a friend or other driver in your household if there is a great "gotta have it" feature next year -- you won't be investing too much money in a unit that a year of your usage will seem too short for the cost, if you know what I mean.

I did Call tom tom customer service and talked with a gentleman named Mike, they were very nice and American as well! Based on what the rep told me, you can in fact do planning the night before using the tom tom home feature that you would download to your computer the night before. Anyone else out there with Home download to your computer that can verify this? Great wealth of information---for those of you that on on the fence on whether to purchase a tom tom product----very helpful and informative customer service rep!

Marc had posted the customer service number in a previous post and said what the heck call and find out what I could!

With respect to the Navigon keys for data entry, would using a stylus fix that problem? It does look really small on the gpslodge review.

Yes, it would work...if your a female, I found that you can also use your fingernail.

The longer I play with this one, I like it better than the Mio c320.

I have a good opinion on this, we own 2 magellans. they work awesome. We rented a garmin and a tom tom from the rental car places, the tom tom was good, the garmin however stinks, it told you to turn when you passed the turns, to maddening for us.

the magellan tells you 2 miles ahead and then right before where to turn and it can find its way around even if you turn the wrong way it will recalc and get you going correctly.

target seemed to have a good buy on it.

I have a good opinion on this, we own 2 magellans. they work awesome. We rented a garmin and a tom tom from the rental car places, the tom tom was good, the garmin however stinks, it told you to turn when you passed the turns, to maddening for us.

the magellan tells you 2 miles ahead and then right before where to turn and it can find its way around even if you turn the wrong way it will recalc and get you going correctly.

target seemed to have a good buy on it.

Which model do you have? If it's the 3100, then that's the one that K-Mart will have for $129 during their Thanksgiving sale.

I checked with my RadioShack (Memphis area) and they seem to have only a couple per store. Thanks to many of you I had a store manager get a total of 3 Navigons from 2 different stores around the area for me and 3 traffic cards that I was willing to buy yesterday and then return on BF. He decided to just keep the items for me and I am going to go on BF after the crowds settle down and buy them. Talk about awesome! I would call the R/S you are planning on visiting on BF and confirm their stock - I couldn't believe when the manager told me they weren't going to get a shipment in before BF of the Navigons... how they could advertise and then not have any is beyond me! :eyepoppin

Also, he didn't seem to want to pricematch with Staples. He claimed the stock price of the Navigons is 158.00 and R/S was offering them below stock price for 149.00. He couldn't believe Staples was going to sell them for 99.00. So we'll see about the price matching, I already printed off a Staples ad from the internet to show him!

Good luck on Friday everyone! :)

i just got back from Staples and they had a working Navigon 2100 so i got to play with it for a bit. i will give you the "keyboard" is a little small even with my fat fingers I found it no problem typing addresses in. they were already setting up for friday but the guy i spoke with either would not tell me or did not know how many they will have. he just told me to get there early, when i asked how early he said at least 5-530am. i hope this means the line at this Staples wont get too bad, there is nothing else around this store other than grocery stores(fingers crossed).

I need big time help,i can not decide which one to get here are my choices

Garmin nuvi 250w for 225

Garmin nuvi 200 at BB for 170

Tom Tom one LE at BB for 120

which would be the best buy considering the different features of each

If you are in a rather populated area, and not already in line, I would rule out the TTO LE at best buy. That is my only addition of opinion on this to you.

So I bought my DH a Magellan 2100 at clearance for $189 and was waiting for BF to purchase the 3100 and then return the 2100. Well today DH purchased a SUV and one came with the car. Go figure. I was so excited that I have found the PERFECT gift for him this year (because he gets lost ALL the time)!!!

Now I'm debating if I should return the 2100 and get the 3100 for myself.

But I want to thank you all for this thread it was informative for me.

Well, with much help from Marcster, this thread, and Brad's link to JR.com, I just bought the TomTom One, 3rd addition from JR.com for $129.99 + $6.95 shipping and NO tax. Best of all, NO waiting in cold BF lines!!

I just did the same! I've never dealt with JR.com so I'm hoping they are easy to work with. The shipping was less than the tax I would've paid here! :D

Now I'm debating if I should return the 2100 and get the 3100 for myself.

But I want to thank you all for this thread it was informative for me.

If you do a fair amount of driving (8K+) you'll probably really enjoy a GPS. Especially if you drive to different places often (you already know where your favorite grocery store is, for instance).

I just did the same! I've never dealt with JR.com so I'm hoping they are easy to work with. The shipping was less than the tax I would've paid here! :D

I ordered a speaker selector for my home theater from them a few years ago, they were fine.

Back in the day (pre-internet), I ordered DJ equipment and they were fine then too. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Music/tha948ef31.gif

thankyou thankyou for the heads up on the navigon at office depot.

i went to two radioshacks.. the first one had closed down. the second one had 0 navigon units for the sale, and checked their computer for how many the others had. 0, 1, 2, and 0 for the 4 closest ones.

so youd literally have to be the first one in there early in the morning to have a chance. the fact that several of their local stores had 0 i find completely ridiculous, but oh well.

come home at 8:30 pm, see the office depot sale, get there at 8:55, got it! only difference is it will take 2+ months to get my traffic stuff, but thats ok.

used it on the way home, seems very nice. keypad is small, but unless you get a larger unit I guess its going to be. everything else seemed really good, im glad i didnt have to settle for one that didnt read the names, that seems like a very good feature.

unfortunately they only had one in stock, so i couldnt get one for a friend who wanted one, but oh well =p

im terrible with directions so this will be great in combination with the 1-800-GOOG-411 service.