>>> Official Black Friday GPS Navigation Unit Discussion Thread <<< (updated 11/29)

Marcster

yes that does.. but i really want the tom tom.. :( .. but i think im going to get the other first and try black friday at bb and hope..lol

But why don't you go for the TomTom One version 3? It's practically the same thing as the TomTom LE without BB's incredible wait....

The TomTom One Version 3 will be available here:

$124.99 w/$20 Staples Gift Card instantly @ Staples

$129.99 @ Office Depot

$139.99 @ RadioShack

$149.99 @ CompUSA (Thur-Sat)

If you missed the info, go back to page one of this thread, I have it listed just above the TomTom LE.

I'd have to be spending upwards of $2K to make it worth the agony of stepping foot into a BB on BF, but that's just me. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Non-Smiling/OuttaHere.gif

The LE models at BB would require camping out for 20+ hours. I'd keep the ones you have.

Am I correct to assume that if you had the opportunity to get the LE that you would? I'm going to be at BB early for other items. In the past I've been lucky to get everything I wanted & more so if I can should I go for the LE?

Am I correct to assume that if you had the opportunity to get the LE that you would? I'm going to be at BB early for other items. In the past I've been lucky to get everything I wanted & more so if I can should I go for the LE?

Quite honestly, I haven't found out enough about the LE and how it's different (better or worse) from the Version 3 besides what I posted at the end of this thread: http://forums.gottadeal.com/showpost.php?p=900727&postcount=2

If you are interested, call TomTom's support and let me know what they said and I'll update the thread.

"To contact Customer Support team by phone call 1 866 486 6866 (available 8:30AM to 7:00PM EST Mon - Fri and 9:00AM to 5:00PM EST Saturdays)"

Marc, is the tomtom one 3rd edition at Staples $125.99 BEFORE using the given giftcard??? If it's before, you could theoretically make 2 transactions, the first one buying the GPS, get your $20 gift card, then buy something else using the gift card you just got. That would technically drop the price of the GPS down to $105.99

Marc, is the tomtom one 3rd edition at Staples $125.99 BEFORE using the given giftcard??? If it's before, you could theoretically make 2 transactions, the first one buying the GPS, get your $20 gift card, then buy something else using the gift card you just got. That would technically drop the price of the GPS down to $105.99

Essentially, yes.... But I'm sure that the manager or cashier would prefer that you use it on a future purchase.

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/images/aditempics/Staples/20071111145403.jpg

Have you used the traffic feature at all [of the Navigon 2100 you just bought]? Does it track every decent sized road, or just the major highways?

It tracks both freeways and major streets in your area. It will list any traffic reports on the freeway both on the map and on a separate traffic report screen. Large city streets are displayed with colors only on the 3D map to represent traffic flows.

Two Navigon 2100s, please.

I guess we all agree. This is not good -- I'll have to get up earlier. I'm Staples bound. I plan to get a 2100 and a tt-one. If you are undecided, buy both and decide later. Don't feel bad about taking merchandise off the shelf -- if Staples had made these available for examination before BF we would not need to go this way.

I guess we all agree. This is not good -- I'll have to get up earlier. I'm Staples bound. I plan to get a 2100 and a tt-one. If you are undecided, buy both and decide later. Don't feel bad about taking merchandise off the shelf -- if Staples had made these available for examination before BF we would not need to go this way.

I don't know if I'd need to do that, but...

The thing I just figured out was... Navigon may not offer the free traffic service after BF, but you'll always be able to score a TomTom One for at least a reasonable price if the Navigon is not what I expected.

Oh, and two years ago I returned BF Ram to Staples and it was still BF (but after the doorbuster hours). You would've thought I had just hit the manager's dog with my car.

As far as I can see the only big advantage of the LE over the TT3 is that you can do multiple locations with the LE, but only one at a time with the TT3. So, if you have 4 or 5 stops ahead, the LE will be prepared (as long as you entered in everything when you started) and the TT3 you will have to enter the next address at each stop.

As far as I can see the only big advantage of the LE over the TT3 is that you can do multiple locations with the LE, but only one at a time with the TT3. So, if you have 4 or 5 stops ahead, the LE will be prepared (as long as you entered in everything when you started) and the TT3 you will have to enter the next address at each stop.

After some digging.... You are correct. The TomTom One version 3 lacks itinerary planning:

http://www.gpsreview.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9110

Oh, and two years ago I returned BF Ram to Staples and it was still BF (but after the doorbuster hours). You would've thought I had just hit the manager's dog with my car.

I have always BF'd at Staples and buy most of my tech toys there. In the past, they have been up front about the BF deals and helpful during reconnaissance missions. This year the manager is 'not even sure if they will have the items in the leaked ad.' He has no idea how much merchandise he will have on hand and most of the BF items are not even on display. The Navigons were on the display counter but powered off -- defective units, he said.

If I buy the Omnitech 11.3" frame sight unseen or have to compare two GPS devices *after* getting them home, that is just me dealing with their tactics. If the manager is unhappy about this, I can't help that.

I don't understand the secrecy surrounding BF. If I were trying to sell lots of great merchandise at great prices, I'd want everyone to know that I had plenty of the right stuff at the best prices. When the merchants are coy, I think they are probably hiding the fact that their prices are not the best or that they don't have enough merchandise.

I don't do Walmart for this reason. Next year, I may pass on Staples too.

Quite honestly, I haven't found out enough about the LE and how it's different (better or worse) from the Version 3 besides what I posted at the end of this thread: http://forums.gottadeal.com/showpost.php?p=900727&postcount=2

If you are interested, call TomTom's support and let me know what they said and I'll update the thread.

"To contact Customer Support team by phone call 1 866 486 6866 (available 8:30AM to 7:00PM EST Mon - Fri and 9:00AM to 5:00PM EST Saturdays)"

TomTom One LE models can do multi-stop itineraries where as the Version 3 cannot.

http://www.gpsreview.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9110

I've tried to read most of these posts, just curious - why is everyone going for the TomTom instead of the Garmin at walmart? I was going to get the Garmin, but I'm curious as to why everyone wants the TomTom.... perhaps you know something I do not!

I've tried to read most of these posts, just curious - why is everyone going for the TomTom instead of the Garmin at walmart? I was going to get the Garmin, but I'm curious as to why everyone wants the TomTom.... perhaps you know something I do not!

That Garmin is two years old and may very well have two-year old maps (that's bad). Map updates from Garmin are like $70 when you update (they update their maps once a year, but no one forces you to buy the update).

TomToms all have completely free map updates. You buy a TomTom and that's all you need to buy, ever.

The fact that Wal-Mart threatened sites like Gottadeal didn't help. No one knew what units W-M was going to have, so no one talked about it. Now, if you are just starting to read this thread, it can seem like most of the people want the TomTom.