>>> Official Black Friday GPS Navigation Unit Discussion Thread <<< (updated 11/29)

Marcster

Thanks for the compliments everyone! http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Please%20TY/mwel3.gif

If you choose something based on my thread, PLEASE post about it here (like mrn8 did).

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Non-Smiling/ear1.gif I'm curious to hear what you chose and why. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Non-Smiling/ear1.gif

Also, I just moved the Delphi Nav200 under the "Second Tier" units spoiler. I think that the Nav200 is a fine unit, but there are better, more modern choices for the same or less money. The Nav200 was probably all the rage when it first came out, but it's a little long-in-the-tooth by today's standards.

I'll give you my reasoning for choosing the TomTom One XL-S. First off, the free map upgrades will incredibly convenient and a cost savings in the long-run. My second reason is that I prefer to have text-to-speech. Voice commands aren't bad, but I'd rather be able to get a name and not have to look at the screen. The last thing is that Office Depot will have it, which means it will be easy to get in the store and I can exchange 5 empty ink cartridges and get an additional $15 off.

There is a video on you tube about Navigon 2100. The start up time was around 70 secs.

I cacot post links but you will see if you search youtube for navigon 2100.

The title of the video is Navigon 2100 Power-Up Time and the sender is chadDOTcc. Interesting to see.

Markster,

What a wonderful summary you have at the start of this thread! Thank you SO much for taking the time to do this.

I want a widescreen because I don't always see so well any more. I believe the Garmin Nuvi 660 actually has a wider screen than the standard models.

I was leaning toward the TomTom One XL, but the info here about the more accurate routing is pushing me towards the Garmin models. It does concern me a bit, however, that their maps are apparently old and it's going to cost me to update them.

Sheila

I've added my "Short List" to the original post: http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=87388

Thanks, Marc! You've clearly outdone yourself!

Couple of questions for you:

* do you already have one? (which one?)

* are you going to get one? (which one? again.)

I'm still on the fence whether to get the Mio C220 or the TTO3/TTOLE. I'd get the Mio because I would most likely be hacking it, but TT's free updates is a killer deal.

First, thank you so much for making such a great detailed listing!

I am looking for a sub-$500 GPS unit for a gift...

The thing is they want at least 4.3" screen and voice command.

My definition of voice command is having the ability for the GPS to respond to the users voice, as in being able to enter a destination by saying the address...

There is no good way to search for this requirement in soo many GPS units!

I seem to like the Magellan Maestro line for this feature... etiher the 4050 or 4250...

Does anyone have any recommendations of units from other companies?

Bonus if I can get a BF deal on it! ;)

Thanks in advance!

Markster,

What a wonderful summary you have at the start of this thread! Thank you SO much for taking the time to do this.

I want a widescreen because I don't always see so well any more. I believe the Garmin Nuvi 660 actually has a wider screen than the standard models.

I was leaning toward the TomTom One XL, but the info here about the more accurate routing is pushing me towards the Garmin models. It does concern me a bit, however, that their maps are apparently old and it's going to cost me to update them.

Sheila

Hi Sheila -- all of the widescreens GPS units being offered on BF are 4.3", including the Garmin 660.

The HP iPaq may appear "sharper" because it has a better screen (more pixels), but that's about it, the screen will still be the same physical size.

The other thing to remember is that you don't have to update the maps... If you live and travel in an area with establshed roads, you may not need to update them once every 2 years or so vs. whenever Garmin comes out with a new edition.

But free is nice (with the TomTom units).

Thanks, Marc! You've clearly outdone yourself!

Couple of questions for you:

* do you already have one? (which one?)

* are you going to get one? (which one? again.)

I'm still on the fence whether to get the Mio C220 or the TTO3/TTOLE. I'd get the Mio because I would most likely be hacking it, but TT's free updates is a killer deal.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Happy/blush.gif

From what I know about you -- being the techy and all... I think you'd miss being able to hack a Mio. :yup: I'm surprised that you aren't thinking of the Mio C320 though.

I'm thinking of getting the TomTom One 3rd Edition for my wife and for parents.

And, since it's only $80 (or so) getting a C220 for myself. I wasn't planning on getting a GPS for myself at all... I just don't drive that much. Whenever we go out, my wife is usually with me. But hacking one, that would be fun.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Happy/blush.gif

From what I know about you -- being the techy and all... I think you'd miss being able to hack a Mio. :yup: I'm surprised that you aren't thinking of the Mio C320 though.

I'm thinking of getting the TomTom One 3rd Edition for my wife and for parents.

And, since it's only $80 (or so) getting a C220 for myself. I wasn't planning on getting a GPS for myself at all... I just don't drive that much. Whenever we go out, my wife is usually with me. But hacking one, that would be fun.

I didn't see a Mio320 on the list - did I miss it? Who has it? I'm thinking 220 because OM has it, and that's one of the stores around here that people hardly notice... I was the only one there last year. :tongue1:

I didn't see a Mio320 on the list - did I miss it? Who has it? I'm thinking 220 because OM has it, and that's one of the stores around here that people hardly notice... I was the only one there last year. :tongue1:

The original post got a little wacky... http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Hmmm/dontknow.gif I had to go to my offline copy (I have been writing in a word processor).

All fixed now -- the Mio C320 is under the Text-To-Speech heading, just below the TTS-ready Garmins. Can't miss it. It'll be $149.99 @ RadioShack (and there's a ridiculous amount of R/S stores around, shouldn't be a problem to pick up).

Great job Marcster... One thing I noticed is that you have the Tomtom One that is at HHGregg listed as not being a “3rd edition” but on the adscan it says “MapShare Edition”. Isn't that the same as the 3rd edition? The photo in the adscan also looks like a 3rd edition Tomtom One. If I knew that it was a 2nd editon I would definitely get it. Thanks for all this info that you have put together. It has really been helpful in choosing a GPS.

Great job Marcster... One thing I noticed is that you have the Tomtom One that is at HHGregg listed as not being a “3rd edition” but on the adscan it says “MapShare Edition”. Isn't that the same as the 3rd edition? The photo in the adscan also looks like a 3rd edition Tomtom One. If I knew that it was a 2nd editon I would definitely get it. Thanks for all this info that you have put together. It has really been helpful in choosing a GPS.

Glad you found it to be useful...

IMHO, HHgregg should fire whoever lays out the ads. They don't say for certain which unit they're offering (take that TomTom Go for instance, is it a TomTom Go 720, or isn't it?)

I can't say for sure which one it is...

Marcster, I'm loving you for doing this and it has been a great resource for me.

As of your last update the nuvi 260 @ staples disappeared I noticed as it is a model I'm considering for DH. I'm not sure if that was an accident or what but thought I'd point it out.

Thanks again for simplifying my selection process!!

Marcster, I see that the Magellan 3100 is on the bottom of your list. Is it only becuase of the lack of POIs? How do the other features look to you? I was thinking of getting this one as POIs are not critical to me. Unfortunately, part of my decision making process is what kind of crowds I need to fight.

Thanks for the compliments everyone! http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Please%20TY/mwel3.gif

If you choose something based on my thread, PLEASE post about it here (like mrn8 did).

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Non-Smiling/ear1.gif I'm curious to hear what you chose and why. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Non-Smiling/ear1.gif.

:gdwow: MArcster!!!!! :bow:

Well, after all the AWESOME info!!!:gd_stars: I'm still liking the Navigon 2100. LOVE the 'Reality View' for intersections/proper lane. Speed warnings are a plus. Text to speech and free traffic feature are a plus for this price range. Was glad to see Terry Whites "real" review. But most of all I'm really thankful I can get this at RadioShack!!!! :gdthankyou:

Marcster, I'm loving you for doing this and it has been a great resource for me.

As of your last update the nuvi 260 @ staples disappeared I noticed as it is a model I'm considering for DH. I'm not sure if that was an accident or what but thought I'd point it out.

Thanks again for simplifying my selection process!!

You're welcome!

Thanks for noticing the lost Nuvi 260... Actually a few Garmins dissappeared -- I had a backup my post, thank goodness.

I think my single post was hitting the upper limits (in terms of characters) of what vBulletin could handle (Brad could advise me one way or another). Text just started disappearing and moving. It was really weird (the review of the Mio C320 disappeared earlier -- scroll up for details).

At any rate, I've since separated it out into 4 individual posts.

Marcster, I see that the Magellan 3100 is on the bottom of your list. Is it only becuase of the lack of POIs? How do the other features look to you? I was thinking of getting this one as POIs are not critical to me. Unfortunately, part of my decision making process is what kind of crowds I need to fight.

Yes, it's the lack of POIs and a lack of any stand-out features that put it at the bottom of the list for me. For the same $130, I'd find the nearest RadioShack and get a TomTom One 3rd edition. There are so many RadioShacks out there, there probably won't be much of a crowd. Personally, I have THREE RadioShacks within 15 minutes of my house. R/S Store Locator

Marcster - thank you SO much for all this effort and energy you have put into this. :gdthankyou:

I still have to read/view all of the reviews on the first page - but I am leaning towards the Navignon 2100. I hope it's not disappointing. We'll see. :)

Marcster, I have not seen any mention of Magellan 4000, at Meijer (for under $200)? Also, any idea what the Kohl's GPS is going to be like? Thanks

You didn't see any mention of the Magellan 4000 @ Meijer because I missed it altogether. :tongue1: Good catch, I've remedied that now.

I have no idea what the one at Kohl's is. I can tell you that I have compared it to a few Google images searches and it IS NOT a Garmin, Delphi, TomTom, Navigon, Mio, Jensen, Amcor, or any of the other models that anyone else is offering this BF.

It's probably a no-name cheap-o. If they were "proud" of the name, they'd be touting it like the KitchenAid mixer sitting to it's left in the flyer.

Anyone have a breakdown of traffic update costs for each GPS company ?

This could be the major reason why I choose Navigon over the others if the traffic costs are too expensive as traffic updates are a very important feature to me.

Off the top of my head, it's $50 - $60 per year for the ones that charge. Some of the units that have traffic capabilities also require the purchase of an additional plug-in antenna ($50+). The Garmin C580 uses MSN Direct, that's free for the first year, then it's $49.95/year or a one-time of $129.95. http://garmin.msndirect.com/NavigationServicePlansGarmin.aspx

If you (or someone else) are willing to do the research, I'd be happy to update my original thread...

The other thing to consider is whether or not they cover the city (or cities) you need. They'll only be covering major markets...

Marc, you really outdone yourself! Thank you for helping with my decision. Can you try to answer one question though? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. Is the Staples TomTom 3rd edition portable?

They're all portable. They attach to the windshield with a suction cup and a bracket. You can move them from car to car... Is that what you mean?

I also DO NOT recommend leaving them exposed in your car when you aren't around unless you are in a very safe neighborhood (or your garage, of course).

Thieves' Christmas presents, you know. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/NO/no.gif