XBOX 360 or Playstation 3????

:confused:

For Christmas, I've decided to give in and get a new game platform. We've had a Playstation 2 (it has broke 2x) and a XBOX now. My oldest son has a PSP that he let's his brother play alot. I know that there is a big price difference between the 2... my sons are 18, 10 and 7. As far as games are concerned -- my kids a pretty simple and typical -- I plan on getting the normal Madden 08... Guitar Hero for my 10 year old, SKATE for my 7 year old ....

Please give me your experience and suggestion on which way to go -- XBOX 360 or Playstation 3...

Seems like you are paying for the power of the PS3, which they havent been able to take advantage of yet. Many more games available for the 360. I also love Xbox Live, even though it costs 50 dollars a year playing online is well worth it. Im kind of biased, but unless you want a blue ray disc player I think the 360 is a better buy.

Neither.... get a Wii... we all play it... from um.. adult... my dh has the bowling high score... and my ds4 who loves it. We have 4 from 14 to 4 and everyone plays it almost equally. They even have games like splinter cell and need for speed and guitar hero for it.

Has anyone has problems with their 360 breaking? Did you purchase an extended warranty? What is the best place to purchase, Sam's, Best Buy, Walmart???

Mine has never had issue, but many have seen the red ring of death. Because it is such a widespread issue, MS has extended the warranty from 1yr to 3yrs. so even if you did have issues, it should be covered.

Has anyone has problems with their 360 breaking? Did you purchase an extended warranty? What is the best place to purchase, Sam's, Best Buy, Walmart???

We have had 4 xbox 360's. Thank goodness someone suggested to us that we get the extended warranty. :D

We bought it at Best Buy, the extended warranty also...and only have to run down to Best Buy to get a new one when we have an issue.

If my son didn't love playing the games so much, and dh too, I would think it was a piece of crap...but they have enjoyed it so much that even returning it for a new one isn't that big of a deal.

Can't help you there. We have a Wii and a PS3 but dh wants the xbox 360 now. Says the only reason is because there are a few games only available on the xbox 360. But they like the PS3 better because you can play online free and xbox charges you.

Out of the two, I would say the XBOX 360. Yes, the PS3 is a Blu-Ray player, however the 360 has the X-Box arcade which allows you to download more games, most of them classic's.

However, for easy play and overall better value, get the Nintendo Wii. It has a bigger variety of games, plus the downloadable content has something for everyone. Plus, it comes with Wii Sports packaged in, which has Bowling, Boxing, Tennis, Golf and Baseball.

I have a Wii, PS3 & a 360. The Wii & the 360 see the most action. We mostly just use the PS3 for movies because of blueray & upscaling all of my dvds. Since Halo 3 launched the 360 sees the most action. Xbox Live has all of the other systems beat. Out of the 3, if I owned none I would purchase the 360. But then, I waited 13 hours for it to buy it at a Midnight launch. I waited about 3 1/2 hours for a Wii at a Midnight Launch & PS3 was from Santa.

Xbox Live for $50 >>>>>>>>>>>> PS3 online for free

What you get for your $50 per year is a lot. Networking with friends is a great feature, but the best is that you dont have to deal with a lot of people who are looking for ways to cheat, because if they get banned they are out the $50. The money also helps them have great customer service and people who can monitor to make sure things are going well.

Xbox Live for $50 >>>>>>>>>>>> PS3 online for free

What you get for your $50 per year is a lot. Networking with friends is a great feature, but the best is that you dont have to deal with a lot of people who are looking for ways to cheat, because if they get banned they are out the $50. The money also helps them have great customer service and people who can monitor to make sure things are going well.

Very true. On X-Box Live, the moderators there are always looking for cheaters and those who report them so they can be removed from the system. Some break though, but they are usually dealt with quickly.

I don't have either but have decided to cave and get my DS 12 a new system for Christmas.

He only wants the XBox 360 and has even offered to put toward the cost....not the Wii, not PS3....only 360.... it was a "duh, Mom".. when I asked about the alternatives....

I did tell him that the "duh" comment meant that he is now buying the bigger share:)

xbox 360 hands down

There warranty coverage is now cream of the crop since the issues that began with the units(mine just died and im one of the original buyers from before they were even released, I never filled out a warranty card or anything, shipped it out to them two weeks ago and ill be getting a refurbed back monday), 99% of the problems are the red light issues, and microsoft is now covering that issue for life free of charge!

Playstation 3 is more powerful cpu wise but gpu wise the 360 is more powerful, it evens out but right now the 360 is so far ahead since they had a 2 year head start on them.

Xbox live is awesome, it really cant get any better which you cant say about alot of things and it is worth $50 a year(or do it like me and buy 13month subscriptions off ebay for $20-$25 a year :) )

One last note, madden 08 runs choppy on the ps3 i guess in some situations

We have all 3 systems.. I have 3 boys 19, 17( in 2 weeks) and 13. The PS3 does not get played at all except for when our kids friends come over or we are watching blue ray movies because they said all the good games come out next year :gdparanoid: XBox 360 gets played a lot since Halo 3 has come out but the Wii gets played the most .. We also have DS lite and PSP .. DS lite gets played more . I am thinking of taking PSP to gamestop for an exchange on some games :tongue1:

• 2 weeks later...
We have the original xbox, xbox 360and the wii. By far the 360 is totally awesome! We use the xbox live feature to go online and download free demos, you can even do HD movies now etc... kids can unlock achievements in all games and ear points towards their gamer score. The wii is fun, but just doesn't have the online access for games, for kids to play against their friends or adults to go play online, so that sucks...You can go online and surf the internet, check the weather and stuff like that if you have broadband and that's free...a little hard to navigate thou...I'd def. go w/ the Xbox 360 hands down!

I agree with the PP who said Wii.

PS3 is overpriced and under supported.

360 has problems - and even with the increased warrenty (which was sadly needed) there is a lot of anectdotal evidence microsoft will not recognize the warrenty.

Microsoft is a scarry organization.

From my point of view I HATE X-Box, so that opition is out the window. As for PS3 and the Wii - I have both and love both, but I LOVE the Wii much more! Its so much fun to play!! Plus theres GREAT games out there already for the Wii - Zelda, Dewys Adventure, Harry Potter, etc. For the PS3, the only great games we own is Obilvion and Heavenly Sword. Theres more great games coming soon though for the PS3. Sony started off a little slow, but they are starting to catch up some. From what I know 2008 will be a good yr for PS3 and the Wii for the games. IF you get the PS3 - Do yourself a favor and get the 60GB. DO NOT GET THE 80GB version. You will only be kicking yourself later on down the road due to the fact its not backwards compatibale for PS2 games straight out of the box. The 60GB version is. Thats what I have the 60GB. Sure you may get 20GB more harddrive space, but thats why you get the external harddrive Sony has put out for the PS3 if you need more space. Believe it or not 60GB is A LOT of space to play with for a game system. For the Wii at $250 you get ALOT. Not only do you get to play all the good games thats out already, but you get to download old nintendo games from the Wii Store. Their catalog of old games is already pretty big, and it gets bigger and bigger every week. Oh yeah 1 more added bonus for the PS3 - BLU-RAY!! My hubby and I are already starting to convert our old movies into Blu-Ray. Plus any new movie thats comes out and as long as its on Blu-ray, we get the Blu-ray version. But of course you DO need a HD 1080P TV in order to watch the movies. So if you dont have a HD 1080P TV, get yourself one, or make it simple and get the Wii. One thing to also help make the picture clearer for the Wii is dont use the composite cables it comes with. Get the componet cables. It does make a difference.

The PS3 is aimed at the adult or atleast older teen crowd..the Xbox 360 has a wide range of games (and just games in general..) I own the 360, and I love it, it just recently got the red lights so I have to send it in..but the amount of great games for it just keeps me from trading it in for a PS3..I think having a 360 and Wii is the ultimate gaming combination.

IF you get the PS3 - Do yourself a favor and get the 60GB. DO NOT GET THE 80GB version. You will only be kicking yourself later on down the road due to the fact its not backwards compatibale for PS2 games straight out of the box. The 60GB version is. Thats what I have the 60GB. Sure you may get 20GB more harddrive space, but thats why you get the external harddrive Sony has put out for the PS3 if you need more space. Believe it or not 60GB is A LOT of space to play with for a game system.

It's not that the 80GB can't play ps2 games, they just aren't guaranteeing that it will play all ps2 games. This is what it says:

"This product has limited backward compatibility with PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format software. Many PlayStation®2 format software titles operate, but full compatibility is not guaranteed. Updating the system software may improve compatibility. Visit the playstation website for system software updates."

I don't think the 60GB is any different, they just didn't have the wording there yet. After complaints of some ps2 games not working, they added the disclaimer. We have the Wii and ps3, oldest son's bf has xbox360 (my kids are 17, 14, 12). When all systems are at my house, the ps3 gets the most play. They love playing online. Parents hate online b/c the kids can't pause the game because their online :gdparanoid: . It gets very annoying. Dh and I love the Wii and just recently downloaded the classic Mario Bros. and Galaga. Although you do have to pay for the downloads.

I never said it (the 80gb) didnt play PS2 games. I said it didnt play PS2 games straight out of the box, like the 60GB can. We have A LOT of PS2 games, and they all work just fine. Yes 1 or 2 PS2 games may not work (dunno what games they are), but 99% of the games do. I dont know how much you know about the 80gb, but from what I've heard ON E3, read in many video game magazies and read online, the PS3 80GB is ONLY backwards compatible for PS2 games IF you download the software.

This is taken from another website:

What SONY is doing with the 80GB PS3, is that the new version will not include the Emotion Engine to play PS1 and PS2 games, instead, it will use an emulator to do so instead. In other words, software emulation is used in place of hardware support and as a result, backward compatibility for PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games is reduced, but you still will be able to play PS1 and PS2 games, just not as many as with the 60GB version.

With that said, anyone who wants a PS3, get the 60GB instead of the 80GB. You not only would be saving yourself some $$$ but also will have less headches in the long run.

With that said, anyone who wants a PS3, get the 60GB instead of the 80GB. You not only would be saving yourself some $$$ but also will have less headches in the long run.

The 60gb and 80gb both cost $499, and the 80gb comes with a game. Some retailers are bundling an extra with the 60gb to get them off the shelves, but whatever is left on shelves is all there is so it's a YMMV.

Or, if you don't care about playing PS2 games on it, you can get the 40gb for $399 (releases at the end of the week).