Charity and BF

kulkel

Searched and didn't find a thread so I thought I would add/ask this.

How many of you purchase item/items for charity on BF, for the needy?

Personally, I purchase atleast something it may not always be a big items but anything will help.

We always participate in the angel trees both at church and DH's work. If they get their tags out before BF, then I definitely buy the gifts on BF.

We also donate to Toys For Tots any new toys the kids received as gifts throughout the year but were not interested in, or were the wrong age group, etc.

I do stockings for my sons friends that parent's are either out of work or just don't make enough to have a good christmas. This way I get to SEE them open their presents:) Last years stockings had boost cell phones, mp3 players or digital cameras along with a game, batteries, and colonge and candy. This year it will be reversed..the mp3 player kids get the digital camera etc... A game, batteries,one is getting a newer tmobile phone because I am sick of seeing his old school one. I am hoping that a decent digital camera goes on sale BF for about $100 because that would be a great stocking stuffer. My stockings are normally packed with about $300 worth of items.

I love STOCKINGS!

Tina

We do this kind of thing we bring toys to the hospital for the sick kids (cancer etc) .we also buy for 1 family every year.

I know this means alot we at one time were in that boat. Its very hard I am thankful that we came out of it and are doing great now. Its the little things that eman the most. we buy grocery store gift certificates for food, in addition to the list they have.

the kids get areal apprecitation for how lucky they are and the LOVE helping the families

We buy for one family every year, usually on BF just because we can do more for the same amount of money on that day. Not toys for tots or anything like that but a family we personally know who needs help. We had a bad year one year DH lost his job the week before Thanksgiving and the only help we got was from people who personally know us. So we try to find a family that is in that same boat, sadly we have never had a shortage of families to find to help. If you have not been there you have no idea how truely horrible the system is on the length of time it takes to get any kind of help. On the plus side it is something my dd deeply enjoys doing. She has already named a few families for me to check in on for this year. I am very proud at how much enjoyment she takes in picking out toys and things for another family.

Every BF after i get home from shopping my kids (now 9 and 11) go through their stuff and pick out 15 NICE things that they want to give to kids who don't have much - we take them to goodwill later that day. No crappy happy meal toys or stupid stuff either. My kids have a lot of stuff and have always been spoiled by both sets of gp and aunts and uncles so it is important to give back - This all began as a stipulation that if they didn't give nice toys Santa wouldn't bring nice toys. I also told my kids from the time they were little that mommy and daddy have to pay santa for everything he brings since they want things that come from store so that helped keep their lists reasonable and they also rank what they want so i know what they really really are looking forward to the most

I love picking up items to donate on Black Friday. I usually have a budget to shop on so buying toys and such on BF allows me to buy more for my money. I love picking up the Barbies for like $4.99 and things like that. I take my stepdaughter shopping with me and I make it a point to pick out things together to donate and make sure she understands the importance of helping others.

Every year, my husband and I get one or two names off an Angel Tree and get what ever they have on their wish list. A lot of my Black Friday shopping is for these gifts.

Knowing that you have made at least one child smile on Christmas morning is a priceless blessing.

A couple of years ago I adopted a family even though my own budget was much tighter than it is now and I was able to watch this mother and her two kids open their gifts (no waiting for Christmas there!). It was priceless, and I had a nice chat with the mom - who was working on getting a drivers license, looking for work and trying to go back to school. I felt good knowing that I helped :)

We used to pick a couple angels off the Angel tree, then they changed it to you bring the gifts in to the Salvation Army, which was fine, but when I went there - they were so surprised at my generosity (wasn't even a whole lot there, couple toys and a couple clothes items) they said that some people will only buy like one lipgloss or things like that. They then said that what we buy (at ours anyway) doesn't necessarily go to who is on the tag. They spread everything out and let the parents come in to pick out whatever they want up to a certain limit. They used to do a tree here in our town for senior citizens that were in nursing homes that had no family. That REALLY broke my heart, they didn't even ask for hardly anything, candy, handkerchiefs. I was about crying for them. But, one of our nursing homes said they will take care of their own and the program hasn't been done since. Very sad in my opinion.

I love to do this. Because of this site, I already started shopping early for my charity gifts. I just bought some on the Office Depot clearance website today...got the CD player, duffle bags, and the B/W TV. Plan to look for good CDs on BF to go with the player, to make sure they have something to put in it. I bought a few extra totes for a few Moms, so they have something nice to carry to work and feel special, too.