Whats better BB or CC?

hoits2000

Hey everybody,

I am not a big fan of BB. I think they are overpriced becasue circuit city seems to have better prices. Which store do you think is better and which one would be worth waiting outside all night for.

Here's the deal:

I am in the market for a big screen tv, definitely hd. I have a feeling some place is gonna have a flat panel tv for under 1,000. I would settle for a big screen projection tv too though. I noticed that Sears, CC and BB have been having there Hitachi 51' on sale the last couple weeks for 899, so Im guessing it'll be on sale for cheap come the great BF Day. I have about 200 in gift certificates for CC so, Im hoping they have something there or I can find the same thing there to price match with something BB offers.

What do you think?

You need to wait till the deals come out first. I was at CC last year and my hubby was at Walmart. I hate my nearest BB for BF so unless they have some SPECTACULAR deals I won't be there. I will try it next year maybe when BB goes into the mall here in my city. Hopefully it won't be as crazy there.

Tina

If I remember right, CC did have one of the better HDTV deals last year, although it was a CRT behemoth. I think it was 51" for 799.

Personally, I like CC better on BF, but not by much. My experience is that the crowds are quite a bit better than BB, however they tend to stock fewer of each item (and not just the big ticket laptops, computers, etc). Last year I went for the opening, but I realize now that most of what I ended up getting was just DVDs, which I could have price matched at WM anyway. Unless they have a really great hard drive deal (which past experience tells me is unlikely), I doubt very much that I will go there this year.

I tend not to shop at either, but I did purchase the CC laptop last year.

I thought the line at CC was much caler than what I saw/hear about at BB across the street.

As far as pricing and other practices, I have heard many, MANY horror stories about BB, not so much about CC. ne thing I will say they both did last year was for the laptops they said Minimum 25 per store (or something similar). They had more -- maybe 50 or so. I was in the first 25 and got mine ok. The next 25 they had "preloaded" software and/or memory, etc. and upped the price. Of course once the first 25 were gone you had no choice -- they weren't going to take their extras back off. Sleazy sales tactic if you ask me.

Both stores did this from what I hear.

Adam

I was actually thinking of getting (or making) a line at about 8. Is that when it usually starts?

Hey,

Anybody hear that stores might be opening up at midnight on Thanksgiving since people are standing out by then anyway.

I guess KB toys had like 9 stores that did that last year and now they are gonna have in the hundreds do it.

Best Buy. I've had nothing but smarmy, unhelpful service at Circuit City.

Went in for a BF portable DVD player one year only to be laughed at when I asked for it, told that it was garbage and that I needed to buy the one that was 2.5x as expensive if I didn't want something that was going to break.

He literally laughed. I told him off, did the same with his manager, and left.

At least Best Buy, the people are too incompetant to bother trying. That is, until it's "Buy 8 issues of this magazine and a product replacement plan and 300 other things" time.

We choose our BF stores by what is being offered for doorbusters.....one of us invariably ends up in front of BB, the other one of us is elsewhere....two years ago it was CUSA, last year CC, BB three years ago for both of us.

We've just found BB has consistently the better doorbusters year after year, at least in some products. It all depends upon what you're looking for.

The next 25 they had "preloaded" software and/or memory, etc. and upped the price. Of course once the first 25 were gone you had no choice -- they weren't going to take their extras back off. Sleazy sales tactic if you ask me.

Both stores did this from what I hear.

Adam

BB did this last year to us too for the desktops. However, they told us that the ones left had the software package added. We did not have to purchase it tho. But, we did have to wait until they removed it if we did not want to purchase it. It was a hassle.. but it was a tactic for them to make more money. I chose to wait and have it taken off, which after throwing a hissy fit, they did it right away for me. :D

BB did this last year to us too for the desktops. However, they told us that the ones left had the software package added. We did not have to purchase it tho. But, we did have to wait until they removed it if we did not want to purchase it. It was a hassle.. but it was a tactic for them to make more money. I chose to wait and have it taken off, which after throwing a hissy fit, they did it right away for me. :D

Glad to hear it. I expected it thanks to advanced warning from here on the boards, but there were PLENTY of surprised people, and not all that happy with it either when they heard it was going to cost them another $80-$100+.:no:

Adam

• 3 weeks later...
I usually go to BB, but it closer to the normal shopping route that I take on BF. Seemed like they had some good prices last year, even after the mad dash was over. Guess I really haven't wanted anything on the DoorBusters to get there that early, usually go to Target first and then BB.

I think BB has the better layout and s far as doorbusters, I have found that BB commits better to having adequate stock. CC often has cheap DVDs but will only have 5 in the store. On BF, BB has tons.

As BB will match CC's prices, I stick with BB and get the reward points.

CC in my area is really sleazy. I remember when I ordered my mp3 player online for in-store pickup. They brought out the cheaper model and argued that it was what I ordered. Only when I told them to cancel my order did he "recheck" the sku and realize there was a mistake, despite the fact that the box had the wrong model compared to invoice. My ex-boss got speakers installed and they put in cheaper speakers than what he'd bought. 2 weeks after purchase he realized they did it and went back. They told him it was his fault for not being out with the tech to make sure he installed the right speakers, and since the sale had ended charged him a higher price to get the right ones installed. I have other stories, but those stand out.

Isn't CC mafia owned ;)?

is anyone else struck by the abreviations? BB & CC? There is also an AA (not as much fun) many of us have a DD - but what is EE? FF? GG?

sorry... I digress.

EE is wide but not really wide shoes :D

FF is Fan Fare :D

I am Best Buy. Because CC has done some shady things to me and this summer was the straw that broke this camel's back. They had some computer memory on special on their website. But when you clicked on it, it came up a different price. I called to get it, and was told we will call you back. I looked later and it had been changed, when I called back I said "Do you care if you lose a customer over this?" Their reply....

"Not really":mad:

So I haven't been back. And I don't plan on it either.

EE is wide but not really wide shoes :D

FF is Fan Fare :D

GG is "Good Game"

HH is for Happy Hour (or Hogan's Heroes?)

I'm not a CC fan either after last BF. It's really the management at my local store. They had no plan for crowd control. I haven't been to BB in this city, but every other one I've been to has been good.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about this, my BB was great. When they came out with the tickets they offered you the upgraded memory, software, etc... Whenever someone took it they marked it on your ticket and called it in on a walkie talkie and installed it on the spot. So by the time the doors opened all the PCs were ready to go the way everyone wanted. I got the $149 desktop and took the spy wear, but I kind of wish I would have taken the upgraded memory. I love my PC it REALLY needs more memory.

This was at the Apple Valley BB for anyone in MN who is interested.