Layaway?

Kaarak

This has been rumored on the AOL board as well. Several Target team members also post there, and they have all said there is no way Target will ever do any type of lay-a-way program. As was posted earlier, Target corporate wants the public to think of the store as a more upscale retailer, so they won't even consider it.

And they also pointed out the source of the rumor. They have all questioned why anyone at Wal-Mart would even consider a shopper would believe a competitor's employee about a different company. (Think the attitude between Macy's and Gimbles at the beginning of Miracle on 34th Street).

I went to Walmart last week to do a layaway. The associate in layaway told me that Walmart and Kmart are getting rid of their layaway and Target will start one at the first of the year. I live in San Diego, CA if that helps any..

And HI I am new here!!!

Target doesn't have layaway now, nor has it in at least the last 25 years. That is the Target stores in the US. I can't speak for the ones in Australia. Nor are there any plans to start up a costly service that numerous retailers have dropped in recent years. The post about stores in LA having layaway was simply a rumor. As someone recently posted, signing up a person for a credit card is much more profitable.

Targets response to layaway questions is usually :

Do you have a Target Credit Card?

That is what they want you to do instead of layaway, open a credit card. Not necessarily a bad thing, if you can control your spending.

Not a bad thing...but when you consider ALL the stores that this is done at, and how many folks do this just to "get a few things" by the time the holidays are done, they have a ton of high-interest cards instead of just using a layaway type program to give them a couple of extra weeks of buffers. People that layaway are NOT all deadbeats. All these cards show up as open on your credit report, and good luck getting them to come off later.

I liked the layaway concept. Doing that for our bedroom furniture just because I didn't want to shell out all the $$ at once, and it was stupid to open a credit card at 25% or whatever to pay it off.

The no interest things are fine at first, but then that builds in, and people like that buffer, so they don't pay until later. ON ALL OF THEM.

I always turn them down. Then they look at me like I'm an idiot for not opening a whole new card to save 5$ on an item.

I have never heard of Target and layway. I asked once and I got a very snobby reply of "we are not a walmart type store, we do not lower our standards and do layway..." Oh well...

Isn't it a shame someone was telling the Truth, The Very Truth. and Nothing But The Truth? :):)

Wal*Mart does not have "standards"! (The kind Targt® has)

RS

I have read that stores that do layaway actually loose money. It is NOT a money maker.

Having said that, now you know WHY Target® does not even think of doing layaway.:):)